Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

Hard to believe Cavan were despondent at being relegated just a month or so ago.

True but Mickey Graham was always targeting the championship.

Three weeks ago if Conor McManus had put over that free in the last minute of normal time Cavan would have been out.
    It’s a fine line between success and failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

tanko wrote: »
    True but Mickey Graham was always targeting the championship.

Three weeks ago if Conor McManus had put over that free in the last minute of normal time Cavan would have been out.
    It’s a fine line between success and failure.

Absolutely.
    They are my team now having won Ulster. Hope they can at least ask a few questions of the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Absolutely.
    They are my team now having won Ulster. Hope they can at least ask a few questions of the Dubs.

You Ulster lads are all the same.

Thick as thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is an aggregate of 237 years since Tipp, Mayo, Cavan won an All Ireland. Tipp 1920, Mayo 1951, Cavan 1952. Connacht and Ulster teams combined have 31 All Irelands. Kerry have 37 and Dublin 29. The whole thing has always been lopsided.

You Ulster lads are all the same.

Thick as thieves.

Absofeckinglutely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What's Cavanagh on about. Cavan were no way only 7th ahead of Antrim and Fermanagh coming into the year in Ulster
    Surely fourth behind Donegal, Tyrone and Armagh (rightly or wrongly)?

That had me baffled as well. Maybe he was basing it on league form.

Top of my head (not looking at leagues) thinking of teams based on players surely it is?

1) Donegal
    2) Tyrone
    3) Monaghan
    4) Armagh
    5) Cavan
    6) Down
    7) Derry
    8) Fermanagh
    9) Antrim

Plus there would not be much between 4-8 ?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

C__MC wrote: »
    Good clebrations in Tipp & Cavan it seems minus social distancing
    You couldn't blame them I suppose

I was thinking could covid19 positive tests all over the show.

Worse case scenario would be both semi-finals given walkovers due to no show like Sligo's situation. With a number of positive tests and close contacts.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

I was thinking could covid19 positive tests all over the show.

Worse case scenario would be both semi-finals given walkovers due to no show like Sligo's situation. With a number of positive tests and close contacts.

Don't think they'll give walk overs this late in the championship. Easier option is to postpone until spring 2021.

If say Dublin suffered from Covid in the camp a) I couldn't see the GAA giving Cavan a walk over, and b) if they did eliminate the Dubs the all ireland would be worthless to the other 3 counties.

If the outbreak of Covid was in Cavan... interesting to see what the GAA would do. Though as said earlier, probably opt to run off the games in Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,041 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That had me baffled as well. Maybe he was basing it on league form.

Top of my head (not looking at leagues) thinking of teams based on players surely it is?

1) Donegal
    2) Tyrone
    3) Monaghan
    4) Armagh
    5) Cavan
    6) Down
    7) Derry
    8) Fermanagh
    9) Antrim

Plus there would not be much between 4-8 ?

Not much between 4 and 5 maybe although I think Armagh are living on past reputation but Down and Derry haven't really done much to be considered recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Not much between 4 and 5 maybe although I think Armagh are living on past reputation but Down and Derry haven't really done much to be considered recently

In fairness down this year will be kicking themselves. Threw it away against Cavan and could well have won the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone when the exact day/times of the semi finals on the 5th/6th will be announced?

Anyone when the exact day/times of the semi finals on the 5th/6th will be announced?

I've seen 17:30 Saturday the 5th for Dublin v Cavan and 15:30 Sunday the 6th for Mayo v Tipperary. Think they were prearranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1330566645018931204?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

There was so much emotional energy expended yesterday i felt the need to hit the sack after 21.00 and record the Sunday Game so i can watch it later on today. What a rollercoaster ride. And i was only watching the games plonked on the sofa.

Between that, and about three GAA podcasts, there's no shortage of commentary to catch up with today. Had a great sleep. Fully refreshed. Batteries recharged. So much to mull over the weekend before even contemplating the games ahead. As Geldof was known to never say 'tell me why i just love Monday's' :)

There was so much emotional energy expended yesterday i felt the need to hit the sack after 21.00 and record the Sunday Game so i can watch it later on today. What a rollercoaster ride. And i was only watching the games plonked on the sofa.

Between that, and about three GAA podcasts, there's no shortage of commentary to catch up with today. Had a great sleep. Fully refreshed. Batteries recharged. So much to mull over the weekend before even contemplating the games ahead. As Geldof was known to never say 'tell me why i just love Monday's' :)

The Balls.ie one with yer man from Cavan should be tidy. That’s if he shows up today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If Mayo win I don't think Tod would put an asterisk beside it.
    But I'll definitely put an asterisk beside it if any of the other three win.

That sorta display is why people prefer hurling down here. Shocking.

https://twitter.com/_FeachNews/status/1330546785840926723?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

That sorta display is why people prefer hurling down here. Shocking.

He's taking it badly. Not even pontificating on the Covid threads, where for some reason he has a license to be arrogant and obnoxious with no repercussions.

Talk about a sore loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Dublin need to play the rest of their games out the Aran Islands for the sake of the football championship.

They have a football pitch out there so there's no excuse, although a bog or a field would be preferable.

Also they have plenty of money do they can get a plane if the boat doesn't suit.

Then we'll see what this Dublin team are really made of.

If they got a plane to the islands and some other county got a boat there would be people calling for Dublin to get a 10 year Championship ban...

I hear too most of the Dublin players have central heating at home...that should be a 5 point head start for the opposition, aircon in cars too ? Ahh jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Play it at croke park,dont want any excuses when cavan beat the dubs :)come on the breffni blues:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

I hear there's a possibility of up to 5,000 being allowed at the AI finals providing Covid numbers done drastically worsen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Rockfish wrote: »
    I hear there's a possibility of up to 5,000 being allowed at the AI finals providing Covid numbers done drastically worsen

Would the same not apply to the semi finals too?

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Would the same not apply to the semi finals too?

Dont know, what ive heard is re the finals, that its been more or less agreed with the Govt, though not official yet obviously. Might be bs of course but i trust the source

Dont know, what ive heard is re the finals, that its been more or less agreed with the Govt, though not official yet obviously. Might be bs of course but i trust the source

What's the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I’ll be very surprised if there’s crowds allowed at any sport until the new year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Strumms wrote: »
    If they got a plane to the islands and some other county got a boat there would be people calling for Dublin to get a 10 year Championship ban...

I hear too most of the Dublin players have central heating at home...that should be a 5 point head start for the opposition, aircon in cars too ? Ahh jaysus

Dublin players also have television sets & colour TV at that if what I'm led to believe is true.

We here in the west only have radio and that's IF it decides to play ball & we can pick up a frequency that will allow us to tune in to a match.

Dublin have the advantage of seeing their opposition play on TV prior to playing them & thus are better prepared where as teams down the country are reliant on the radio which is hit & miss at best.

dobman88 wrote: »
    What's the source?

I cant say obviously but its from someone on a Croke Park committee

EICVD wrote: »
    I’ll be very surprised if there’s crowds allowed at any sport until the new year

Possibly but i think the AI finals might see an exception made considering their importance, there is no other major sporting occasion for the foreseeable future apart from the FAI Cup final and i think an exception could also be made there. 5,000 in Croke Park or Lndsdowne Road for a one off is manageable i would have thoguht. By the time most sports are back in the Spring hopefully restrictions will have been eased somewhat

Possibly but i think the AI finals might see an exception made considering their importance, there is no other major sporting occasion for the foreseeable future apart from the FAI Cup final and i think an exception could also be made there. 5,000 in Croke Park or Lndsdowne Road for a one off is manageable i would have thoguht. By the time most sports are back in the Spring hopefully restrictions will have been eased somewhat

I'm a GAA fan but there would rightfully be uproar if an allowance is made for one sport only. And not to mention the controversies the GAA have been involved n already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'm a GAA fan but there would rightfully be uproar if an allowance is made for one sport only. And not to mention the controversies the GAA have been involved n already.

Apart from the FAI Cup final as ahs been mentioned there will be no other big sporting matches for some time so i dont see the issue really.

Advertisement