Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭C__MC

Cavan is a huge county steeped in football tradition
    Make no doubt it

Mickey graham is some man
    Suffers back to back relegation
    Needs to make an Ulster final to avoid the B championship in 2021
    Beats Monaghan and down, turning over massive deficits
    Beats one of the All Ireland favourites emphatically
    All this with a new team, half of last years starting team left the panel last November

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

formerlyET wrote: »
    Regardless, of systems or structures there will always be upsets. These things go in cycles. People forget Dublin spent a lot of time being nearly men also. It'll turn again.

Dublin have never spent a very long period being nearly men in Leinster though.

People seem to think meath dominated leinster in the 90's and that dublin were poor in the 00's by they won it in 02 05 06 07 08 and 09.

Previous decades they won 4 which equaled Meaths 4.

The GAA chose to back Dublin as did the government with massive money and also decided against pooling sponsorship to alleviate a further financial advantage.

It was a time when Meath, Kildare, Offally, Westmeath and Laois were fiercely competive with dublin. Wicklow and Louth were showing signs of promise.

Instead of backing dublins rivals with millions and developing them into processional set ups they back the one team that didn't need help. We could have had a much better future in our province but unfortunately we're an amateur association and the way it was managed proves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin has always been a prominent GAA county going back to the foundation. So have most of the others who continue to be prominent. Some counties, who shall remain nameless, allowed themselves to bullied out of playing gaelic games in the 1880s because of the Church's opposition to Parnell and his support within the association.

Meath were not one of those counties who gave up, just to be clear!

• Site Banned Posts: 7 I_NoScoped_JFK

There's a lot of things we can take from this weekend and some hard truths:

- Cork didn't stand up to the favourites tag
    -Donegal didn't live up being red hot favourites either
    - Despite this, Dublin sailed through with their eyes closed. And it would be a logical assumption to observe that meath, after their league showing, are better sides than Cavan and tipperary,.

There's a lot of transition going on - donegal haven't yet got right their new wealth of young energetic players and how they can best use Murphy, mchugh etc within this.
    Tyrone are in a big transition period, an 18 year tenure has ended, and undoubtedly players that never got a chance for them and a new system could be on the cards.
    Kerry, like both above, have lost a bit of their old mettle, and despite having a couple of superstars in the making, haven't quite solidified yet consistently despite last year's mammoth effort.
    Mayo, what can we say, the old guard is coming to an end there some new exciting players, but nothing convincing yet as we saw v Galway.

BUT, through all of this, the dubs are still cruising. Just when we watch the league, for this, the 6th year on the trot and we murmur "ah Jim stepped away when he knew there were creaks" etc, they look as flawless as ever. The conveyor belt of talent is still coming through. Bugler and mcdaid look everybit as good as o'callaghan costello and co that we didn't know 5/6 years ago.

There remains one constant lads, we could be in for another few years of watching the juggernaut continue its journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's no way the semis are gonna be played outside of Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin has always been a prominent GAA county going back to the foundation. So have most of the others who continue to be prominent. Some counties, who shall remain nameless, allowed themselves to bullied out of playing gaelic games in the 1880s because of the Church's opposition to Parnell and his support within the association.

That's really interesting. Can you PM me any links or info about the 1880s thing if you have it even the counties involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭crossman47

EICVD wrote: »
    So if you’re a Cavan footballer you’d happily give up playing an All Ireland semi final in Croke Park?

Of course. Anything to even things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

C__MC wrote: »
    Cavan is a huge county steeped in football tradition
    Make no doubt it

That's a few times in this thread you stated Cavan is a "huge county".

No it's not!

In fact, it's the 19th largest county in terms of area and the 25th in terms of population.

You're miles off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I have that somewhere. will dig out the links. Numbers of clubs fell by over half and a lot of counties which had been entering teams - and it was small enough in the early years. Only Leinster and Munster had most counties competing in football by late 1880s - fell. Some counties like Leitrim and some of the Ulster counties didn't field county teams for decades after 1890. Others only intermittently for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lads, today was a fantastic day for the GAA and those of us who follow the games. Fantastic. I really enjoyed it.

I’m going watch the highlights again in a few minutes.

megadodge wrote: »
    That's a few times in this thread you stated Cavan is a "huge county".

No it's not!

In fact, it's the 19th largest county in terms of area and the 25th in terms of population.

You're miles off!

Wasnt aware of that always feels bigger given it borders meath leitrim monaghan fermanagh & longford

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Wasnt aware of that always feels bigger given it borders meath leitrim monaghan fermanagh & longford

Wait til I tell ya that Meath borders Offaly sure! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Can't help thinking after watching today's matches, it really could have been Sligos year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Mickey graham is some man
    Suffers back to back relegation
    Needs to make an Ulster final to avoid the B championship in 2021
    Beats Monaghan and down, turning over massive deficits
    Beats one of the All Ireland favourites emphatically
    All this with a new team, half of last years starting team left the panel last November

Mickey said when he took over in Cavan it was about winning Championship games, not League matches. That tactic isn’t going too bad for him!

And half the panel didn’t leave. 5 players left. Dara McVeety & Conor Moynagh (travelling), Conor Rehill & Caoimhin Reilly (left panel) & Cian Mackey (retired). Killian Clarke also opted out saying it was for a year out but has since returned.

I’d feel sorry for McVeety particularly. Soldiered away since 2013 and takes a year out to travel & his club win the championship for the first time in 50 plus years and Cavan win today.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Mickey said when he took over in Cavan it was about winning Championship games, not League matches. That tactic isn’t going too bad for him!

And half the panel didn’t leave. 5 players left. Dara McVeety & Conor Moynagh (travelling), Conor Rehill & Caoimhin Reilly (left panel) & Cian Mackey (retired). Killian Clarke also opted out saying it was for a year out but has since returned.

I’d feel sorry for McVeety particularly. Soldiered away since 2013 and takes a year out to travel & his club win the championship for the first time in 50 plus years and Cavan win today.

He hardly got a pile of travel in either did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

So we're guaranteed a fairy-tale finish to the football championship in this never to be forgotten year. Perhaps Tipp will repeat their 1920 victory in the centenary year, or Mayo will finally bury that curse, or Cavan reclaim their place at the top table, but I'm sure the other 31 counties will get right behind Dublin in their quest for 6 in a row against huge odds and adversity.
    Whoever the Victor, definitely the year of the underdog!

He hardly got a pile of travel in either did he?

He’s a teacher so left last September so had all of South America done and was in Australia by the time covid hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What's Cavanagh on about. Cavan were no way only 7th ahead of Antrim and Fermanagh coming into the year in Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What's Cavanagh on about. Cavan were no way only 7th ahead of Antrim and Fermanagh coming into the year in Ulster

Surely fourth behind Donegal, Tyrone and Armagh (rightly or wrongly)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Surely fourth behind Donegal, Tyrone and Armagh (rightly or wrongly)?

Would have been behind Monaghan too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

14/1 on odds are incredible in a GAA match at final level. Wonder what other team with those odds lost matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

Probably would have been around 5th they have done more then Derry and Down over the last few years anyway so why did he consider Cavan to be lower then them I don’t know.The coverage and the analysis in RTÉ is absolutely dire Tomas O’Sé and Ciaran Whelan are the only ones anyway half decent.

Colm O’Rourke absolutely dreadful and hasn’t a clue about modern football, Pat Spillane the same. Cantwell is fair annoying like mentioning about social distancing measures for Cavan supporters if they were celebrating. Not the time or place to say that. Let the Cavan people enjoy their moment without been reminded about the Covid nonsense.

I never thought I would enjoy Sky’s coverage more then RTÉ but Donaghy and McGuinness are very good as is the new presnter Grainne McElwain. Peter Canavan is the best in the business really. They have definitely gone ahead of RTÉ over the last year or two and I probably will watch the semi and finals on Sky ahead of RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

yop wrote: »
    14/1 on odds are incredible in a GAA match at final level. Wonder what other team with those odds lost matches?

No they were 8/1 with Paddy Power backed them about the 10 minutes before the game, they definitely were not 14/1 as Ger Canning mentioned.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

KIB4Life wrote: »
    No they were 8/1 with Paddy Power backed them about the 10 minutes before the game, they definitely were not 14/1 as Ger Canning mentioned.
    I was wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

yop wrote: »

Only one I can think of off hand that might come somewhere close would be Kerry v Clare 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Bonniedog wrote: »

First time hearing this. Who were the counties the church bullied?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Probably would have been around 5th they have done more then Derry and Down over the last few years anyway so why did he consider Cavan to be lower then them I don’t know.The coverage and the analysis in RTÉ is absolutely dire Tomas O’Sé and Ciaran Whelan are the only ones anyway half decent.

Colm O’Rourke absolutely dreadful and hasn’t a clue about modern football, Pat Spillane the same. Cantwell is fair annoying like mentioning about social distancing measures for Cavan supporters if they were celebrating. Not the time or place to say that. Let the Cavan people enjoy their moment without been reminded about the Covid nonsense.

I never thought I would enjoy Sky’s coverage more then RTÉ but Donaghy and McGuinness are very good as is the new presnter Grainne McElwain. Peter Canavan is the best in the business really. They have definitely gone ahead of RTÉ over the last year or two and I probably will watch the semi and finals on Sky ahead of RTÉ.

BBC are very good too. Mickey Harte adds extra.
    Not afraid to mention and discuss refereeing performance too which is refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Can't help thinking after watching today's matches, it really could have been Sligos year.

Definitely an asterisk beside whoever wins this year's championship. I'm from Sligo and word around the camp was that the last number of years of poor results was all in preparation for championship 2020. Unfortunately covid got in the way of the inevitable.

• Advertisement

Sean doesn’t like Cavan...

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/extraordinary-account-reveals-sean-cavanagh-was-bitten-and-spat-on-during-ulster-semi-final-396554

Advertisement