Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

KIB4Life wrote: »
    No they were 8/1 with Paddy Power backed them about the 10 minutes before the game, they definitely were not 14/1 as Ger Canning mentioned.

I think the confusion is because Donegal were 14/1 ON ahead of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,189 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cavan_King wrote: »

I don’t think he likes much in this life
    Seems to be bitter about a lot of things

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Definitely an asterisk beside whoever wins this year's championship. I'm from Sligo and word around the camp was that the last number of years of poor results was all in preparation for championship 2020. Unfortunately covid got in the way of the inevitable.

Ya in years to come we will all say Dublin only won in 2020 cause Sligo pulled out : )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Can't help thinking after watching today's matches, it really could have been Sligos year.

Somewhere Jayop is sobbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Definitely an asterisk beside whoever wins this year's championship. I'm from Sligo and word around the camp was that the last number of years of poor results was all in preparation for championship 2020. Unfortunately covid got in the way of the inevitable.

Why would there be an asterisk ?

It's as valid as any championship pre 2001.

Fair enough it's a different time of year and without crowds but I don't think any of that is worth an asterisk.

The Sligo v Galway game was the only one to be called off to date.
    And Galway are already out so it's not as if you can argue that they had an easier route than anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Covid-19 is a man-made virus & that man in question is none other than Dublin's Desmond Farrell.

It's no coincidence that the one team who were going to stop Dublin's 6 in a row had to pull out of the competition due to covid cases.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Probably would have been around 5th they have done more then Derry and Down over the last few years anyway so why did he consider Cavan to be lower then them I don’t know.The coverage and the analysis in RTÉ is absolutely dire Tomas O’Sé and Ciaran Whelan are the only ones anyway half decent.

Colm O’Rourke absolutely dreadful and hasn’t a clue about modern football, Pat Spillane the same. Cantwell is fair annoying like mentioning about social distancing measures for Cavan supporters if they were celebrating. Not the time or place to say that. Let the Cavan people enjoy their moment without been reminded about the Covid nonsense.

I never thought I would enjoy Sky’s coverage more then RTÉ but Donaghy and McGuinness are very good as is the new presnter Grainne McElwain. Peter Canavan is the best in the business really. They have definitely gone ahead of RTÉ over the last year or two and I probably will watch the semi and finals on Sky ahead of RTÉ.

The quality of Donaghy as an analyst is really boiling my píss. He makes it really hard to continue the decade and a half of hate I have for him. :)

His magnanimity after we won the 5-in-a-row last year was annoying.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Covid-19 is a man-made virus & that man in question is none other than Desmond Farrell.

It's no coincidence that the one team who were going to stop Dublin's 6 in a row had to pull out of the competition due to covid cases.

We'll be calling it COYBIB-20 come Christmas week.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I have that somewhere. will dig out the links. Numbers of clubs fell by over half and a lot of counties which had been entering teams - and it was small enough in the early years. Only Leinster and Munster had most counties competing in football by late 1880s - fell. Some counties like Leitrim and some of the Ulster counties didn't field county teams for decades after 1890. Others only intermittently for a long time.

Do, I'd like to read that myself lad. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Covid-19 is a man-made virus & that man in question is none other than Dublin's Desmond Farrell.

Farrell had to do something to stop Sligo.

Sligo need to be split into 2 teams moving forward

• Advertisement

Take Sligo out of Markievicz Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭C__MC

Sligo need to stop having their meals delivered to them on a daily basis

Take Sligo out of Markievicz Park.

I dunno. I reckon they'd have their hands full in Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Fair enough it's a different time of year and without crowds but I don't think any of that is worth an asterisk.

And Galway are already out so it's not as if you can argue that they had an easier route than anyone else.

His post read very much tongue in cheek in fairness!

C__MC wrote: »
    Sligo need to stop having their meals delivered to them on a daily basis

They need to get rid of their oxygen chambers and lucrative sponsorship deals. Only fair on New York and London 😜. Not fair on Sligo having such an unfair advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Des Cahill has serious trouble forming sentences at times. Listening to him is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

London and New York did not play. If Galway were any good they could have won an All Ireland playing just 3 games.

London and New York did not play. If Galway were any good they could have won an All Ireland playing just 3 games.

We call that doing a Kerry.

Galway are the France of Gaelic Football.

Always flatter to deceive. If I was a Galway football fan my head would be melted.

Darragh O Se summed up Galway perfectly during the week in his article

We call that doing a Kerry.

Galway are the France of Gaelic Football.

Always flatter to deceive. If I was a Galway football fan my head would be melted.

You're being kind, France are World Cup champions.

• Advertisement

Good clebrations in Tipp & Cavan it seems minus social distancing
    You couldn't blame them I suppose

C__MC wrote: »
    Darragh O Se summed up Galway perfectly during the week in his article

Here's the article.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-dublin-still-the-masters-the-likes-of-galway-still-apprentices-1.4411913

He's not wrong.

We'll see how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭HBC08

recyclebin wrote: »
    I never knew Cavan had won so many Ulster championships until today. They have won 40 now in total with just two of those in the last 40 years.

When you look at the provincial championships, none are as lopsided as Munster for most wins by a single team:
    Ulster: Cavan with 40 of 125 = 32%
    Connacht: Mayo with 47 of 122 = 38%
    Leinster: Dublin with 59 of 133 = 43%
    Munster: Kerry with 81 of 132 = 61%

Mayo have 47, Galway have 46

Mary Hannigan's TV view worthy of a read:

There was, mercifully, no forgetting in Croke Park on Saturday evening, after a week when the airwaves were filled with assorted voices telling us that we needed to revise our view of what happened in the stadium 100 years ago. One soul even suggesting that the GAA was at fault because they didn’t postpone the match, thereby laying the blame on the association for the murder of 14 innocents. If you didn’t laugh at revisionism, you’d cry.

As ever, the GAA got it just right, the commemoration a thing of beauty. “They are our family, our friends, our people - we remember them all,” said Brendan Gleeson, while 14 torches burned brightly behind him.

That they did. The revisionists might say otherwise, but the GAA? A class apart. No fluting around. Not afraid to recall our history, nor honour its victims.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/the-revisionists-might-say-otherwise-but-the-gaa-a-class-apart-1.4416242

---

It truly was a great weekend to be a Gael and to remember the incredible history of our organisation and sports. Let's not that out of our sights'.

You're being kind, France are World Cup champions.

Not yet.

Not yet.

I'm confused, sorry.

France won the World Cup in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The history of the GAA is full of championships played through wars of all sorts and a previous pandemic too. Full of pull outs, protests and no shows and all them All Ireland's counted.

We've had finals played in the wrong year and in other countries we've had championships played while Ireland particularly the West watched whole generations of its young leave to never come home. We played on for years while Derry and Belfast and the rest of the north burned.

And this year will mean just as much as all of them and f$&k the asterisks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hard to believe Cavan were despondent at being relegated just a month or so ago.

I'm confused, sorry.

France won the World Cup in 2018.

I was talking about France in rugby.

Ha.

There's a cliche that is always used that of "You never know which France is gonna turn up". The same thing is always said about Galway.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The history of the GAA is full of championships played through wars of all sorts and a previous pandemic too. Full of pull outs, protests and no shows and all them All Ireland's counted.

We've had finals played in the wrong year and in other countries we've had championships played while Ireland particularly the West watched whole generations of its young leave to never come home. We played on for years while Derry and Belfast and the rest of the north burned.

And this year will mean just as much as all of them and f$&k the asterisks

If Mayo win I don't think Tod would put an asterisk beside it.

Advertisement