Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Interesting points. one thing I noticed this year is players get within range to easily shoot for a point but instead go backwards or hand pass it sideways. it seems like its just the fear of missing and giving away possession.
    also the movement of the full forwards is non existent when their team mates have the ball and are attacking. if teams defend together, why dont they attack together? 1 or 2 forwards in dangerous positions against the oppositions whole defence.

Its a fear of missing. Everyone wants to get in for the sure thing. Theres very few outstanding points like you'd see years ago. The percentage shot is always the shot to take which stagnates creativity and risk. 2pts would see more shooting from 45m out meaning defences have to push out. The space created inside would leave more goal opportunities and the other team would have to leave defenders back because a turnover at the 45 with a block would leave you wide open at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

threeball wrote: »
    3yr experiment but its rubbish. Be better off extend the D out 5m further and complete it to the end line. Any points out side the D would be worth 2pts. Anything inside worth 1pt. Defences would have to push out creating more space inside. Black card offences inside the D would be a penalty. Outside the D brought to the edge and be worth 2 if kicked. Sort out a lot of the crap we've seen the last few years. Teams that take risks will get rewarded too.

Interesting ideas, and ones that don't just make defending easier as most other suggestions do.

It'd be a massive change to the game so probably a hard sell, but would be fascinating to see at least trialed.

elefant wrote: »
    Interesting ideas, and ones that don't just make defending easier as most other suggestions do.

It'd be a massive change to the game so probably a hard sell, but would be fascinating to see at least trialed.

I think it would bring us back closer to our tradional game and dispense with the marks and other such rubbish. Its worth a run in the Siegerson to see how it affects the game. That competition sees teams setting up similar to IC. More long range point scoring would be welcome for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,264 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Harte out to prove beyond doubt he is the best manager of modern times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Harte out to prove beyond doubt he is the best manager of modern times.

He should have headed to Kilkenny if he wanted to do that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Harte must have came across the highlights of the 2010 Leinster Final & decided he wanted to put things right.

Dublin best enjoy their 10th Leinster title in a row because there won't be an 11th.

He hasn’t a huge pile to do to make them number 2 in the province anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Can't understand Micky Harte going straight back into management straight away with Louth. Thought a bit of a rest to recharge the batteries would have been welcome to him and much needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Its a fear of missing. Everyone wants to get in for the sure thing. Theres very few outstanding points like you'd see years ago. The percentage shot is always the shot to take which stagnates creativity and risk. 2pts would see more shooting from 45m out meaning defences have to push out. The space created inside would leave more goal opportunities and the other team would have to leave defenders back because a turnover at the 45 with a block would leave you wide open at the back.

I'm finding it hard to understand why you are rewarding potshots from distance?

Can you see any unintended consequences from your proposal? This is key to any proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can't understand Micky Harte going straight back into management straight away with Louth. Thought a bit of a rest to recharge the batteries would have been welcome to him and much needed.

He'll be doing nothing til January.

That being said, the man is obsessed with football. He'll be like O'Dwyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,264 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He should have headed to Kilkenny if he wanted to do that. :)

Gavin can take them on. See how he does. The Great Manager Play Off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

He's obsessed alright. No offence to Louth but at least O Dwyer went to two strong Leinster counties who could compete for a Leinster championship. I suppose success is relative and getting Louth promoted in the league and take a scalp or two in Leinster would be a good return. I wish i had half the man's energy so hats off to him for spreading the gospel to the Wee county.

Gavin can take them on. See how he does. The Great Manager Play Off. :D

It is great to see a manager like Harte going to a smaller GAA county like Louth, maybe more will do likewise and the championship might become more competitive. it is still just 15 against 15 at the end of the day.

It is great to see a manager like Harte going to a smaller GAA county like Louth, maybe more will do likewise and the championship might become more competitive. it is still just 15 against 15 at the end of the day.

He might take a scalp in Meath or Kildare but a provincial title is a pipe dream. League success and sticking one to meath can be the height of his ambition.

He might take a scalp in Meath or Kildare but a provincial title is a pipe dream. League success and sticking one to meath can be the height of his ambition.

It will be interesting to see what happens. what are they going to do about Dublins dominance? move them to Ulster? have an open draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

It will be interesting to see what happens. what are they going to do about Dublins dominance? move them to Ulster? have an open draw?

Why would they move them to ulster so they can bate everybody up there by 20 instead is it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

He's obsessed alright. No offence to Louth but at least O Dwyer went to two strong Leinster counties who could compete for a Leinster championship. I suppose success is relative and getting Louth promoted in the league and take a scalp or two in Leinster would be a good return. I wish i had half the man's energy so hats off to him for spreading the gospel to the Wee county.

I'd say it's nothing to do with money....

spurshero wrote: »
    Why would they move them to ulster so they can bate everybody up there by 20 instead is it

There is at least 2 teams that would give them a game in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

physioman wrote: »
    I'd say it's nothing to do with money....

I'd be of a far less cynical mindset.

The vacancy was there and Harte literally bleeds football.

I'd say if he could have stayed in the Tyrone hotseat until the day he dies he'd have remained in place.

Great admiration for his gra for gaelic football.

He could easily have taken the handy number as a pundit in the BBC but rather took on a massive challenge in the wee county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭kksaints

Apart from the FAI Cup final as ahs been mentioned there will be no other big sporting matches for some time so i dont see the issue really.

There's Dundalk vs Arsenal in the Europa League on the 10th December in the Aviva also.

• Advertisement

They would not even make the black market.
    5k is a tiny number, very easy for the GAA to keep tabs on and any that were seen for sale unauthorized would very quickly be cancelled and the offending person/club would suffer a serious reprimand.
    All tickets should go to the squads to hand out as they see fit. Or any other county players from other teams that want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

His objectives and ambition with Louth will be getting them back to Div 2 and perhaps winning the B All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Interesting appointment. I see he'll be handling their U20s too. Big project. I'd imagine the aim is to move them up a division or two in the league and get them more competitive in Leinster both at senior and underage level. It's a good challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If it's rolled out as a concession to the GAA, which is what the poster said I think, then there will be uproar and rightly so.

Make the announcement that it is for all sports events. It's not going to benefit the ordinary fan anyway.

The GAA have always operated with a self of entitlement, at every level. They’ll want the sponsors, and ‘good club men’ etc to be facilitated... they should be told to put a sock in it and if so much as a fan / observer is seen in the seats or a corporate box the game is stopped, a handful of Gardai can audit the set up before kickoff. A guest list to enter the stadium... say 50 players and officials a side...

Playing squad x 32

Medical x 6 (physios & doctor’s)

Coaches / selectors x 6

Misc x 6

His objectives and ambition with Louth will be getting them back to Div 2 and perhaps winning the B All-Ireland.

Which would be a great achievement if he could do it. I think the B all ireland is more valuable than a provincial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

There is at least 2 teams that would give them a game in Ulster.

You're not including Donegal in that pair are ye?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You're not including Donegal in that pair are ye?

I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I am.

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

PressRun wrote: »
    Interesting appointment. I see he'll be handling their U20s too. Big project. I'd imagine the aim is to move them up a division or two in the league and get them more competitive in Leinster both at senior and underage level. It's a good challenge.

Ah come on lads someone like Val Andrews did not manage Louth and Cavan for the love of the game alone.

Nor did Micko manage Kildare, Laois and Wicklow for the love of the game alone.

None of youse are that naive! :D

A good offer was made I'd say. Why else would he go to Louth?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

I am.

A Donegal team that couldn’t beat a Cavan team that had 2 players black carded so played 20 mins with a man less . I’m hope I’m wrong for the good of the game but I will be amazed if Cavan are not beaten by at least a dozen points next week . How ya think Donegal would give Dublin a game I don’t know .

Advertisement