Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Anyone know why my handicap index would have randomly jumped overnight from 2023 into 2024? Seem to have had one shot added to my index. Checked with one or two others in the club and they haven't had the same happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Annual Handicap review. Were you scoring poorly in qualifying rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sounds like a review alright. Ask your handicap secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

@Squeaksoutloud If you were adjusted in the Annual Handicap Review, you should have been informed by email and given time to appeal it. Unless you managed to play a counting round, only Handicap Committee could have adjusted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Ok thanks will look into it. Have plenty of counting rounds in 2023 (28) and plenty of ones outside my top 8 in last 20 to fall back on that wouldn't change handicap by much. Ben quite consistent overall and on a downward trajectory so it's a strange one alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Maybe they want you for interclub in 2025 and they are giving you a headstart ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Happened to me last year.

I got an exceptional scoring cut during the season and it was removed by the handicap committee at year end.

Was it removed though?

it will naturally disappear after 20 rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

It was definitely removed manually. I’d 8-10 rounds to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Thanks to the Whs and it's apologists.

Just leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

I just had a look at the results on howdidido. The winner went birdie, birdie, albatross for holes 11 to 13. Finished with a double bogey to only be 1 under for the back nine. Not bad for a 23 handicapper 🤣

Looking at the other scores I assume that the course played very short on the day. A third of the entrants shot 40+ points and 80% managed at least 34 points. Maybe some of the longer holes were converted to par 3s but this was not reflected on the computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Tend to agree.

Seems to work better for the ladies however.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Be interesting to keep an eye on their scores when cutting season arrives.

Thats if you could be bothered of course

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It wasn’t like there were shocking scores coming out of opens down in Tipp before the new system??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

There's something weird with that particular comp alright. Perhaps very forward tees and some temp greens made it a pitch n putt course.

if you look at the other comps back over the year, it's the expected returns of 41/42 for Stableford. One of the medals was net 68 and another was net 74 to win. This sequence of mad scores is an outlier for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'd definitely think they played a lot of par 4 holes shortened to par 3, but the computer wasn't allowing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

The 13th par 5 was played as a par 3. And the 17th par 4 was played as a par 3.

Computer didn't adjust for these changes. Still crazy scores

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Anorak that I am, I've tried to calculate manually (well, in Excel) the score differentials on my rounds - I only have 4 in my Golf Ireland App.

Three of them were my initial 3 rounds for handicapping, and one is the society comp last Saturday.

The score diff for last Saturday is exactly as I'd expect it, but the other three are all incorrect, but all are 12 less than my calculation. Is there something special about your first 3 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

The Handicap Committee at your home club likely adjusted your handicap by 12 shots after they entered your initial 3 rounds.

They might have done this based on your sporting history, previous golf experience or on observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Allow for the fact anything worse than a net double will be adjusted down to a net double for the official calc, that could account for some of the swings in the numbers?

• Advertisement

For the first 3 cards that will reduce score to max of +5 on a hole

More likely @DiegoWorst is right that the handicap committee made adjustments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Thanks folks, that's explained it nicely for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Anyone notice the whs is changing from April 1st?

Players can be cut for winning four balls no matter what formatt. This should have been brought in a long time ago.

Yep, it has been in the offing for a few months now and could well be further up this thread or another thread on boards.

fourball scores will be good scores only, however not necessarily cut/counting rounds, but more than likely will.

Team score of at least 42 points

individual score of at least 36 points

you are on card at least 9 times

you will be awarded up to 1.5 points for holes you are not the scorer…. Or the number of points scorer received if lower

so still room for the chancers out there.

if you are only on card 8 times but the 9th you could have been….. say both have pars. Stick the other guy on the card and if yiz come in with 50 points then you won’t be getting cut. 😩…. he will though!

If you both get 3 points on a hole then you would only get 1.5 for handicap purposes. Our system (how did I do) allows you to put both scores in (would often do this for 2’s) I wonder will it accept a par for both people (3 points each) and award 3 for handicap purposes instead of the 1.5 points…. I’ll be trying it out anyway

still not WHS….. 🤣 in other parts of the world, all 4 ball scores count but you just have to finish your own ball. No such thing as 1.5 if your buddy is in for 2 points

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Fotish

Have the Clubs sent out any general information to their members on the new rules that come into place on 1st April ?

I guess it depends on the club. I know some have

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Whilst I've generally gone on the WHS journey and bought in to the concept over time - that team thing seems a bit off the wall that Seve is posting.

But I guess I felt WHS was daft too for the first period - as always with WHS it is well intended , but I think the Irish are just a bit crazy when it comes to our golf scene - madness to win and general obsessions with handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I think I tend to agree with you on this Fix. I originally thought WHS was great in theory and possibly slightly preferred it to CONGU, but now I'm really thinking that any system that has so many adjustments, assumptions or artificial constructs (call them what you will), is just not right.

"I had a 10 - system doesn't like that, we'll give you a 6", "I didn't play that hole - we'll give you 2 points", "its a fourball - doesn't matter you need to put in your score that doesn't count". What a load of xxxxxxx.

Not that there's anything I can do about it of course, it is what it is, and I get that its largely controlled by computer and we don't necessarily have to know the mechanics but f--k me its getting convoluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Fotish

i see changes to the Inter Club competitions this year also.

Does anyone know if one person can represent two clubs ?

For example his Home Club and a club where he is a country member ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think you can play with 2 clubs but not in same competition. For example a low handicapper could play Barton shield with his home club and Senior Cup with his "Away" club. Again i could be wrong there and things could have changed but I seem to remember that used to be the case.

Advertisement