Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

what2do wrote: »
    My Congu is/was 19, my HI is 18 and my playing handicap on my course is now going to be 21... which I what I came down from this year so feels like I am back where I began the year!!!

With .8 cuts
    you'll be back down in no time, matter of rounds. You're being constantly adjusted using your best last 8, two good rounds could see a 3 or 4 shot cut. It will find it's level pretty quickly.

That's the way I understand it, could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hoboo wrote: »
    With .8 cuts you'll be back down in no time, matter of rounds. You're being constantly adjusted using your best last 8, two good rounds could see a 3 or 4 shot cut. It will find it's level pretty quickly.

That's the way I understand it, could be completely wrong.

:confused:
    There are no more cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

old hcap - 3.5
    hcap index - 2.5

Still don't have a clue, I'm sure it will all make sense when we're back playing :)

So, when you play off whites, you look at the chart that is in the ClubNet app. There is a range for 2.2 to 3.0. You fall into that. That tells you that your Course Handicap is 3. If you are playing singles you multiply that by .95 which is still 3.

But when you sign in all this will be done for you. The only thing you need to check is that your Handicap Index on the club sign in matches your Golf ireland Record.

Just make surfe you are playing with me !!!! (we're in the same club)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Seve OB wrote: »
    There are no more cuts

Well I guess if your average reduced you could still call it a cut ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Pretty new to golf so don't judge me to harshly :)

Anyway i was given 18 as a starting handicap in 2019, (which didn't reflect my poor ability) but anyway, change clubs this year to a more challenging course and went out to 19. 8..

So I log in to golf Ireland yesterday to see my new HI and see that i have been giving 23.. On my course that would give me a playing handicap of 24. But i noticed that the were only some of the scores used for WHS, as indictated by a dot beside them.

So i log on again this morning to see what scores were included and low and behold I now have a HI of 21,,.
    My playing buddy was given 15.5 yesterday and when he checked today it was 16.5..

I was under the impression that it was an 8/20 best rounds or prorata under 20 rounds.
    Any ideas as to why they have highlighted " used in WHS handicap index calculation"
    For context I have 13 rounds in the system only 3 are under 100 with a best of 94.
    3 qualifying round in October were included in the 13, one has a dot beside it (98) but also shot my worst ever round the following week..

What if anything am i missing?

• Advertisement

There are no more cuts

Was told that but on reflection and rechecking that doesn't make sense. It could be any figure depending on your average over the best 8.

Just going to double check with the person who told me that, but you're right, that doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ceepo wrote: »
    Pretty new to golf so don't judge me to harshly :)

Anyway i was given 18 as a starting handicap in 2019, (which didn't reflect my poor ability) but anyway, change clubs this year to a more challenging course and went out to 19. 8..

So I log in to golf Ireland yesterday to see my new HI and see that i have been giving 23.. On my course that would give me a playing handicap of 24. But i noticed that the were only some of the scores used for WHS, as indictated by a dot beside them.

So i log on again this morning to see what scores were included and low and behold I now have a HI of 21,,.
    My playing buddy was given 15.5 yesterday and when he checked today it was 16.5..

I was under the impression that it was an 8/20 best rounds or prorata under 20 rounds.
    Any ideas as to why they have highlighted " used in WHS handicap index calculation"
    For context I have 13 rounds in the system only 3 are under 100 with a best of 94.
    3 qualifying round in October were included in the 13, one has a dot beside it (98) but also shot my worst ever round the following week..

What if anything am i missing?
    It's not pro rata. On 13 rounds, it's average of your best four. On 14 it's the same. On 15 it's average of best five.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Old handicap = 5.2
    WHS handicap index = 3.1

The first comp will be interesting. Expecting some mad scores

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Was 6.5 on the 4th of August 2019, finished the year October on 8.4 in Congu
    New WHS handicap is 11.2
    About right with the current form i was in. checked my medal handicap which will be 13, fairly big jump from 8 to 13 imo, but a few good rounds will soon sort it out im sure (have had the yips the past year so was on the slide anyway, sorted now tho) , be quietly confident going into a medal with a handicap of 13 if I can go back to the form of early 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

CONGU Handicap 20.8
    HI 16.7
    Playing Handicap on my course would be 19

Surprised by that, played a good bit of golf (for me) this year, prob 15/16 qualifying rounds. In that only shot better than 30 points three times and only beat 36 once so wasn't expecting such a cut.

• Advertisement

Was 10.4 after a pretty horrendous run.
    HI should be 11.6 when last of scores get sorted.
    Probably makes sense after my recent form

The only bollocking thing is now it will be April before we get to throw in our next counting scores.

Of course there might be the odd chance to play an links open or something but I guess that’s going to be aN even rarer opportunity now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's not pro rata. On 13 rounds, it's average of your best four. On 14 it's the same. On 15 it's average of best five.

Gotcha. Thanks.
    Any idea why it change from yesterday to today

Ceepo wrote: »
    Gotcha. Thanks.
    Any idea why it change from yesterday to today

Rounds added and updated overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

My October rounds were added so my final HI is 4.2. My last CONGU hcap was 5.4.

I just learned today that the course rating does not affect your playing handicap on the day? This makes a huge difference to what I am playing off in certain courses. Only using the slope seems to be benefit higher handicaps but I suppose that is down to a percentage change of the HI?

Looks like it will be a nice time for the higher lads!

Anyone know how the interclub works? It will be a big change for the ones that have a qualifying handicap where there can be huge differences depending on the course.

There are no more cuts

Apologies, I took it up wrong.

Was talking about the HI spread relative to CH. .8 = 1.

Clear as mud.

eoghan104 wrote: »
    My October rounds were added so my final HI is 4.2. My last CONGU hcap was 5.4.

I just learned today that the course rating does not affect your playing handicap on the day? This makes a huge difference to what I am playing off in certain courses. Only using the slope seems to be benefit higher handicaps but I suppose that is down to a percentage change of the HI?

Looks like it will be a nice time for the higher lads!

Anyone know how the interclub works? It will be a big change for the ones that have a qualifying handicap where there can be huge differences depending on the course.
    The 95% playing handicap adjustment for stroke play and stableford will affect the higher handicappers more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Of course there might be the odd chance to play an links open or something but I guess that’s going to be aN even rarer opportunity now

You will definitely have one, given who you are playing against it will only be one 😂

The 95% playing handicap adjustment for stroke play and stableford will affect the higher handicappers more.

Ok so is that a blanket rule that once the playing handicap is decided you then reduce by 5% or before the handicap is decided you take 5% off the HI?

I just haven't seen the 95% included in any calculators, or is it automatic?

Ok so is that a blanket rule that once the playing handicap is decided you then reduce by 5% or before the handicap is decided you take 5% off the HI?

It's after you calculate your course handicap. It's an adjustment that depends on the format of play. Like fourball is at 85%. Just to be clear on terminology, your course handicap is calculated from your handicap index using the HI=SR/113 calculation and expressed as an integer. Your playing handicap is calculated from your course handicap and depends on the competition format. For stableford and strokes, it's 95%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

So, when you play off whites, you look at the chart that is in the ClubNet app. There is a range for 2.2 to 3.0. You fall into that. That tells you that your Course Handicap is 3. If you are playing singles you multiply that by .95 which is still 3.

But when you sign in all this will be done for you. The only thing you need to check is that your Handicap Index on the club sign in matches your Golf ireland Record.

Just make surfe you are playing with me !!!! (we're in the same club)

I sure will :)

• Advertisement

It’s only for competition

You will definitely have one, given who you are playing against it will only be one ��

Yes because once I beat him with all the shots I’ll be getting........well he probably won’t invite me back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Well I guess if your average reduced you could still call it a cut ;)

I'll be oldschool calling it a cut!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I'm sure it's been posted before but could someone please explain the breakdown of rounds used if you do not have 20 played. I have 16 recorded at the moment and it's the best 5.

macslash wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been posted before but could someone please explain the breakdown of rounds used if you do not have 20 played. I have 16 recorded at the moment and it's the best 5.
    It'll be best 6 for rounds 17 and 18, best 7 for 19 and best 8 for 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

It'll be best 6 for rounds 17 and 18, best 7 for 19 and best 8 for 20.

Thanks a million. Am I right in saying that bar casual rounds, winter 9 holes etc won't affect the handicap? Or am I totally wrong

It's after you calculate your course handicap. It's an adjustment that depends on the format of play. Like fourball is at 85%. Just to be clear on terminology, your course handicap is calculated from your handicap index using the HI=SR/113 calculation and expressed as an integer. Your playing handicap is calculated from your course handicap and depends on the competition format. For stableford and strokes, it's 95%.

OK so then anyone that has a playing handicap of 10 or less is never affected by the 95% calculation?

macslash wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Am I right in saying that bar casual rounds, winter 9 holes etc won't affect the handicap? Or am I totally wrong
    It really depends on the rules in place for winter golf. Nine hole scores are acceptable and courses are now rated for both front and back nines. But you can still have qualifying competitions in the winter if there's placing on fairways and lift clean and REPLACE in the rough.
    OK so then anyone that has a playing handicap of 10 or less is never affected by the 95% calculation?
    That's about it, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

Is course handicap definitely rounded to just an integer value ?

I'm looking at the top part of page 65 on this link (before Rule 6.2 starts) which would suggest not, I think....
    https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CONGU-Rules-of-Handicapping1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Not unless you are good enough to play off +11 :D

Basically 10 or under has full shots
    11 to 30 handicappers lose 1 shot
    31 to 50 lose 2 shots

Advertisement