Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

macslash wrote: »
    Sorry lads, I don't understand the 95% ye are on about. What's the point of it? Thanks

to balance out the increase in Course Handicaps of higher handicap players against that of lower handicap players.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bigeasy

Yes, only slope in the calculation

Which countries use course rating? I think people need to be careful with online handicap calculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

4 Putt wrote: »
    They are on it but I also have 6 unprocessed away scores too on golfnet.. Will they come through as well, as I think 3 if not 4 of them will be in my top 8 scores??
    I think they have to be processed by your club and then updated to GolfNet before they can be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

to balance out the increase in Course Handicaps of higher handicap players against that of lower handicap players.

Oh okay I get you. Thanks.

One other query for ye. Since I started playing in May I've never used the club computer. The only time I've used one was for an open day in a neighbouring club a few weeks back. The computer was out of action due to covid but even still my club is a relatively small 9 hole with a tiny clubhouse. I had been just posting the scorecards through a letterbox system.
    With the inclusion of social golf to be counted for HI, how does that work exactly? How would you upload the scores? And where? Thanks again

macslash wrote: »
    Oh okay I get you. Thanks.

One other query for ye. Since I started playing in May I've never used the club computer. The only time I've used one was for an open day in a neighbouring club a few weeks back. The computer was out of action due to covid but even still my club is a relatively small 9 hole with a tiny clubhouse. I had been just posting the scorecards through a letterbox system.
    With the inclusion of social golf to be counted for HI, how does that work exactly? How would you upload the scores? And where? Thanks again
    Most club software has an app as well, so you can use that for score entry too. But assuming you can't do that, you have to declare the round as a supplementary score before you start - you'll have to ask your club handicap secretary what way he wants that done - and play your round with a marker and from the permanent tee markers for the tees you're using. Not the movable ones.

Supplementary scores have been acceptable for two years now. It's not new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You might want to read your post again. You said player B had 35 points :D

I actually said both players had shot 18 net pars playing from their course handicaps.
    Player B's 35pts was the result of adjusting 36pts off 18, to his playing handicap of 17.

And the point was in response to a poster who was discussing what happens if the computer isn't available.

It was me who asked that question.
    It is also relevant to society events or other outings when there is no computer available.
    But thanks for the fun game. :)

I wasn't playing a game, I'm genuinely trying to get to grips with the new system.

I still think the golfer needs to be equipped with his playing handicap when starting a round of golf, and therefore needs to understand handicap index, course handicap and playing handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Can someone please advise the calculation to be used for playing courses in Ireland.

Just need to get this confirmed. I found an online calculator but it uses

WHS Index
    Course Rating
    Slope Rating
    Par of Course

Confused.com is an understatement

This could be the next "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    It is also relevant to society events or other outings when there is no computer available.

there is supposed to be an app from golf ireland for inputting scores. at least thats the way i read it. but they aren't ready with it and won't be till next year sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Macker1 wrote: »
    Can someone please advise the calculation to be used for playing courses in Ireland.

Just need to get this confirmed. I found an online calculator but it uses

WHS Index
    Course Rating
    Slope Rating
    Par of Course

Confused.com is an understatement

This could be the next "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" LOL

Use the r&a one and select without minus course par

Use the r&a one and select without minus course par

there really should be one on the golf ireland website but i can't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    I actually said both players had shot 18 net pars playing from their course handicaps.
    Player B's 35pts was the result of adjusting 36pts off 18, to his playing handicap of 17.

I still think the golfer needs to be equipped with his playing handicap when starting a round of golf, and therefore needs to understand handicap index, course handicap and playing handicap.

I think where you're getting mixed up is saying that he's shot 36 points off 18, but it gets adjusted afterwards, whereas in reality he'll know going out that his handicap for the course being played is 17 for that day. It'll be worked out by the computer when you sign in (or else by a very overworked pro if the computer is still out of action by the time competitions restart!)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

I hate this new system already 😭😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I had a handicap of 17.0 and got a HI of 17.3.

I used the R&A calculator at https://www.randa.org/WorldHandicapSystem

On my home course of St Margaret's (par 73), it returns a course handicap of 20 off the blues (134) which regular competitions are played off and 22 for the blacks (136) which are used for the medals and other majors.
    For Clontarf blues (119, Par 69) it returns a course handicap of 18.
    I've played really badly last 2 months but this seems generous.

ive seen for years fellas not able to work out what handicap they are playing if it is a 9 hole comp, 14 hole come, four ball, foursomes.......

this will certainly cause loads of confusion, HI, course handicap and playing handicap,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Just got a look at my new handicap index. Down from 19.0 to 16.0. Considering I was off 23.4 at the start of the year, it’ll be a while before I’m challenging for a prize :)

Just got a look at my new handicap index. Down from 19.0 to 16.0. Considering I was off 23.4 at the start of the year, it’ll be a while before I’m challenging for a prize :)

yea but what is your playing handicap on your home course?
    you clearly had a few decent scores to get down so you are surly well able to challenge

Seve OB wrote: »
    yea but what is your playing handicap on your home course?
    you clearly had a few decent scores to get down so you are surly well able to challenge

Where do I see that? I’m on the mobile site and just see 16.0. I had a few decent scores to be fair

Where do I see that? I’m on the mobile site and just see 16.0. I had a few decent scores to be fair
    You won't see enough on the mobile site, the columns are truncated. But your actual course handicap is calculated from your new handicap index and the slope rating of the course and tees you're playing from. The calculation is HI * SR/113. So if the slope rating for your normal tees is 127, the calculation would be 16 * 127/113 = 18 course handicap.

You won't see enough on the mobile site, the columns are truncated. But your actual course handicap is calculated from your new handicap index and the slope rating of the course and tees you're playing from. The calculation is HI * SR/113. So if the slope rating for your normal tees is 127, the calculation would be 16 * 127/113 = 18 course handicap.

Thanks for that. I’ve looked up the courses slope rating and my playing handicap for my home course is 17.5 so not as massive a cut as I thought thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 11 4 Putt

I think they have to be processed by your club and then updated to GolfNet before they can be added.

My 2020 home club scores are uploaded now onto the WHS but still no away scores,, they are still coming up as unprocessed away scores..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

CONGU 15 (14.5)

HI 13.1
    Comp Tees
    Course HC 14.6
    Playing HC 14

padmcv wrote: »
    CONGU 15 (14.5)

HI 13.1
    Comp Tees
    Course HC 14.6
    Playing HC 14
    Your course handicap is an integer. So that would be 15 and your playing handicap would be also an integer of that - 14. Doesn't change anything, but would if your course handicap dropped to 14.4. In which case your playing handicap would be 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

old hcap - 3.5
    hcap index - 2.5

Still don't have a clue, I'm sure it will all make sense when we're back playing :)

old hcap - 3.5
    hcap index - 2.5

Still don't have a clue, I'm sure it will all make sense when we're back playing :)
    You'll most likely be playing off 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

Your course handicap is an integer. So that would be 15 and your playing handicap would be also an integer of that - 14. Doesn't change anything, but would if your course handicap dropped to 14.4. In which case your playing handicap would be 13.

I'm going by this https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/world-handicap-system/world-handicap-system-usga-golf-faqs/faqs---where-does-rounding-occur-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Gone from 12.5 on golfnet to 14.6 on whs .... October scores not included yet so expecting a cut.

Well cut back down or is it up to 12.7 on whs

padmcv wrote: »
    Well if you look at the conversion tables that were sent out to clubs a few weeks ago, the Course Handicap is listed in integer and the corresponding Handicap Indexes in decimal.

Basically for each set of tees, there are two columns that would look something like this:

Handicap Index|Course Handicap
    ...|...
    11.1 to 11.9|13
    12.0 to 12.8|14
    12.9 to 13.6|15
    13.7 to 14.5|16
    ...|...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

My Congu is/was 19, my HI is 18 and my playing handicap on my course is now going to be 21... which I what I came down from this year so feels like I am back where I began the year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

A stat I'd love to see, but I can't imagine I will is how much the average handicap changed by club compared to nationally. And a standard deviation would be good too in case some clubs had big swings both ways.

It wouldn't mean the changes are wrong, but it would show where the differences will lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

CONGU handicap 11.9.

WHS Handicap Index 9.8.

Course Handicap 11.7( (9.8 X 135) / 113) with 135 being the slope index of my home course off white tees.

Playing Handicap for competitions is 95% of course handicap which in my case gives me 11 shots.

Advertisement