Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How many points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

89 2nd was 86 course playing quite hard with no run and rough is pretty deep at the moment.

89 is a fair score to win a comp like that. Normally level 5’s is always very good but might be a few off.

however when the lad is in the card 14 times……….14!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Would 14 be considered mad? There’s 36 scores recorded so 9 each, and it’s not unusual one of your group will have a stinker, so that slack has to be made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Advertisement

There was a 9 holes which is down on app but not supposed to be included WHS so once that gone will will be back to normal

Nine hole competitions are acceptable for WHS. One of my eight best is a nine hole comp. Unless yours was non-qualifying? In which case it wouldn't appear there.

Issue was some 9 holes are appearing on the golf app from our course but club said they are not eligible and Golf ireland haven't taken them off so showing as part of my 20 rounds. It is not a qualifying score but means my 21st score on the app which the qualifying score is counted as part of my 20. It is grand at least now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Many clubs will have an internal handicap for their winter league, its certainly not unheard of if not common. No real need for the edgy comments

@OEP If it was qualifying under the old system it will be the same under WHS.

As for the winter handicap some clubs set, it's all up to each club, I'd imagine Golf Ireland have no input as it doesn't effect your offical handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

My record looks quite similar albeit my best round of 84 was not on a captains day. I can assure you I play every shot with my best effort, not withstanding tiredness etc.

• Advertisement

Golf Ireland cant take them off, the data comes from the golf club. So whoever set up the comp, marked it as qualifying and that meant it got uploaded to GI.

Still can't see why it was non-qualifying because all clubs were given ratings for all tees and both nine hole courses (front/back).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Played last week and my WHI was 16.9. Had one of the worst rounds of my life. Grand off the tee and putting. But shanking every single iron shot I hit, regularly taking 6 shots to get down from 120 yards. Anyway put in a massive score and paid no more attention.

Just checked this morning and my WHI has gone up to 18.7. But the score it pushed out of my most recent 20 was not one of my 8 counting rounds, they are all still in there. I've checked it against strokes and Score Diff and can't see any way it would have been one of my 8 lowest scores. Is there something I'm missing?

Could your low index have increased?

As Seve says above, your low index could have increased and that could remove an existing hard cap. Best way to check is to look at your best eight score differentials and average them. If that equals your current handicap index, then everything is correct.

So I put my money where my mouth was and did the process on myself while away in Portugal. A lot of courses don't have the kind of facility we have to enter casual rounds, but just bring back your properly attested scorecards and your h/cap secretary should be able to enter them.

There's no hole detail though, you have to enter your aggregate gross score (obviously work it out first). But all the courses I played were available with the correct course and slope ratings.

Got my handicap down by one stroke. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Cheers Seve & prawnsambo - that was it. Average of my 8 best Score Diffs is bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What way does WHS work with placing everywhere conditions?

18 Hole Comp today and I shot 39 points (placing everywhere) - Was looking forward to seeing my Golf Ireland change a bit but it hasn’t updated even with the score showing.

Will it not appear on it and can handicap changes happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Usually the changes happen over night. Placing everywhere though would be non qualifying AFAIK.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya I knew that about changes overnight. Scores themselves usually go up straight away when entered on the machine.

Must be non-qualifying like you said so. Hey - 39 points and no cut - can’t complain ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, will be same as the old system from a winter perspective. Non qualifying conditions won't impact your handicap record

• Advertisement

Placing in the rough means non-qualifying. However, your club can adopt model local rule E-2 and have lift clean and REPLACE in the rough and maintain qualifying. This can be specified for certain areas of the course or the whole course. So you can have lift, clean and place on fairways and lift, clean and replace in the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I really can't fathom why clubs don't use this more often, would give players a longer season, especially after the last 2 years

I don't think a lot of clubs know about this rule. It needs wider dissemination and Golf Ireland could do more on this front. It's a no-brainer and would solve a lot of problems that arise from non-qualifying competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Does lift, clean and replace meaning dropping your ball once cleaned rather than placing it?

No it means replacing it exactly as it was before

i guess a lot of clubs go to 12 or 14 holes or something like that over the winter. Even if it was play as you lie, these can not be qualifying rounds of golf afaik so it mightn’t make much of a difference if they went replace instead. However, I do think they should just scrap the placing everywhere and bring this in because it just makes sense.

Interesting, played an irish open course the other day and we couldn’t register our round in the golf Ireland app. Asked in the pro shop and they said that they do not allow it!!

No, you don't drop it, you replace it exactly where it was picked up from.

So you mark the spot, pick up the ball, clean it and then the ball must be replaced by setting it down on the required spot and letting it go so that it stays on that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Well it's not Mount Juliet as I was able to use the app there. K Club perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Bring the card back to your handicap secretary - they may be able to enter it in manually for you by creating a course record for the course you played at. We have to do that for people who play games abroad and want to have their cards added to their records

Advertisement