Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭OEP

Does anyone really keep track of what their playing partners are doing in a competition, outside of them doing something obvious? I certainly don't, you trust that they play to the rules, that's part of the ethos of golf. And if you're playing a casual round, it's likely to be with one of your friends anyway so I'd imagine you'd trust them not to cheat.

A bog standard Saturday competition doesn't provide tougher conditions/atmosphere - and that's what the majority of competitions are.

A counter point to not including casual rounds is the golfer who can't get out for competitions very often but is able to play a lot evening 9 holes. They're playing loads without any change to their handicap, so when they do enter a comp (likely a major if they can rarely enter), their handicap will not reflect their current playing ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

I agree totally that reviews have always been there, but if someone ever asked me to explain how/why I played poorly in a given round or run of rounds, a short curt response is exactly what they'd get. I'm always slightly biased towards the individual though as I've seen it enough times over the years where personalities come into it and handicap review is used to settle grudges or bar talk forms part of the judgement on a player's ability.

I accept there is a need for a review process, but have a huge issue where joe bloggs amateur club golfer is passing judgement on the golfing ability of another member.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gringuss

I'm looking forward to 2022 when the constant comparing of WHS to Congu should start to fade. We had bandits and handicap manipulators under Congu too. I like WHS, it's transparent and definitely more inclusive for new golfers and people who don't/can't play regular comps to maintain a genuine handicap. I think competition golf being the only counting format is counter intuitive e.g. people are paying regular comp entry fees so the instinct is they should have a chance to win at some point to justify the investment..... hence no reduction to handicap manipulation in the long run. If we reduce the obsession with competitions then perhaps the incentive to manipulate handicaps will reduce too. Obviously Interclub comps are a different animal and have their own thread to try tackle some of that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You can't have a review process without some kind of judgment or assessment of a member's ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I spoke too soon. Captain's qualifier last weekend. Leader is a 25 handicap in with a 59 net to lead by 8 strokes.

Looked at his record, has a round of 100, and three 99 in his best 8. His handicap on qualifying day was the highest it had ever been on his record.

Last 3 rounds, 103, 105 & 104, then drops in an 84 in strokes, off the blue, on a bad enough weekend weather wise.

Guy has a bit of a reputation for picking up a lot of prizes over the winter league then disappearing once qualifying season kicks in.

Bit disgusted to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Whatever about a shot or 2 but that stinks alright spacecoyote. Do you know him? Would you say anything to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's sickening.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wouldn't know him well, just from around the place. Generally plays with a regular clique

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

A rough calculation tells me that he's getting an ESR of at least 1. But that's no help if he gets to play the next round off the same handicap. Did he get to play that qualifier with his normal group or was it an open draw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

That is the way our Captain's and President's prize went. Only paying the entry fee now because I like playing on a Sunday morning and I'm hoping to beat my 8th best score, no chance of a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I feel for you - just has a look back at our Captains & presidents results this year winners in both shot roughly net 6 under, which to be fair is possible on a given day in both we had 22 & 26 people shot under par net so with our old way (pre Covid) of 9-hole playoff with top 27 there would have been a few qualifiers that shot their handicap in both which I feel is very fair.

Qualifier you could play with your own group. Final is allocated groups.

And yes, he'll play off same handicap in the final round.

The 2 closest to him on the leaderboard look like genuine scores to me, they're records are pretty consistent and have actually been trending lower over the last couple of months. They scored well, but within reasonable range of their records.

I don't know if there has ever been anyone to call him out, but he couldn't have avoided hearing about it in the past i would think given he was generally on the lips of everyone you would play with in the Winter season.

Took a look there. His best 8 prior to the Captains were:

97, 99, 100, 99, 96, 93, 99, 100

He doesn't have the tag checked on his profile to see dates and details of the rounds, so only the scores are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hallowed

I have a brother arriving this weekend to play golf from Scotland. Does anyone know if he can register a qualifying score while here in Ireland and if so how?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

I was wondering the same/opposite for Golf Ireland members playing abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

improvement of 20 shots in the space of a few weeks!!!!! 😱😱😱

I can only speak for clubs using Handicap Master, but would assume that other software does this too.

Your club basically adds a visitor and then selects their home club. Handicap Master has Ireland and England in as default options, but you can then choose other countries and Scotland is there among others.

The other way around (if you're abroad), not so sure, not having access to their software. But if you travel abroad and record a scorecard and want it taken into account on your handicap record, this can be done on the Golf Ireland clubhouse portal via the 'Scores' section. Basically, pick the member and then add the course. It doesn't do a lookup, you enter the course data yourself. This can only be done by your handicap secretary or other club official with access to the GI portal.

Post edited by prawnsambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Played a medal last weekend. Nothing spectacular, came in with 36 pts. Thing is it became one of my 8 best scores, the one that dropped off was not one of the 8. Anyway, I drop half a shot, no problem.

Had the next round of a match-play on Monday so I end up giving an extra shot because of the weekend. All square with 3 holes to go and the extra shot comes in to play...

I suppose it could have worked the other way - I could have been a shot better - but the immediacy of the change and the fact that a 'standard' round (36 points) had an effect of my handicap highlights the difference between the old and new system.

If I had been paying attention in the medal, I'd have known the consequences of the 36 points. would I have been tempted to put on the brakes? Interesting dilemma.

Not sure if we should have been playing off 'starting' handicaps throughout the match-play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

If I had been paying attention in the medal, I'd have known the consequences of the 36 points. would I have been tempted to put on the brakes? Interesting dilemma.

Maybe its just me, but I try to play my best golf at all times.

Here is my dilemma. Have been posting scores in the 90s. This week I have been playing like a 12 handicapper having suddenly got a solid tempo on my swing with an improved grip. Should I put on the brakes for a major this weekend in case people think I am a bandit? Simple answer "I will in my arse!".

Edit: Will probably play like sh!te anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So you're going to put the brakes on when playing well so you can play off a wrong handicap in a matchplay comp? This is the sort of shite that grates me and is getting me very cynical in my old age.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Two questions on match-play with the WHS system.

Do you take the difference between the two indexes and calculate the course handicap based on that or do you take the difference between the two course handicaps? Might make a difference of a shot either way.

Do you generally maintain the starting handicap throughout the competition or the handicap on the day? Match-plays can go on for months so there might be a huge variation between starting and finishing handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

In our place we play the difference between your playing handicap in singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

36 points is not a standard round of golf. It's almost certainly going to be in your top 8 scores and will result in your handicap going down most of the time

I always try to play my best. I've a few bad rounds where I lost focus when I knew a score was not on but alot of the time I manage to scrape in a low 30 point score with a strong finish. It's been to my detriment for match play comps because my handicap has dropped alot but I wouldn't have it any other way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭blue note

I thought the guidance was that matchplay should be the difference between 100% of your course handicap? Sounds like more fear that the higher handicap golfers will win something.

The correct procedure is to calculate the course handicaps for each player for the set of tees played and play off the difference. In fourball, it's 90% of the course handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

In our club you play off the handicap you had the day the draw was made for the entire match play.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

The only thing that should matter to an amateur golfer (aside from ‘enjoyment’) is their handicap index. Whether I beat a load of auld lads in a handicapped competition is totally irrelevant to me. The only true competition is stroke play off scratch, that’s why they play that on the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭OEP

On the one hand, I agree that all you should care about is getting their handicap down (aside from enjoyment as you say) but, I recently went on a hot streak and both got my handicap down and won a load of prizes - enough to buy a new club. So that was nice!

Advertisement