Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm wondering if they are genuinely playing like that, or could they have a pal happy to attest false scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I assume this is something you heard from another member or playing partner rather than anything even remotely factual? Theres no chance WHS will be abolished in Scotland, the R & A is 100% behind it. Theres plenty of discussion of WHS on the Golf Monthly forums and no different to here there are some outliers but most posts are positive about it. The sooner people accept WHS is here to stay the better, I don't even engage with any people I happen to get paired with who start whinging about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No chance. There might be some tweaks along the way, but it's far too early even for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Nett 55 off 23 handicap wins Killarney (Killeen) strokeplay GOY competition this weekend gone. He won by 9 strokes, shooting 15 better than his handicap

But yeah WHS isn't the problem at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

I heard of a single digit golfer winning a competition somewhere with a great score. Clearly the system is working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Without knowing the context its impossible to say what the issue is there, if they have artificially inflated their handicap then the committee needs to look at that. WHS can't stop bandits.

Anecdata is pointless anyway, we've all heard stories or seen WhatsApp images of competition results. Hopefully there will be a report of some kind available that gives an overview of how the WHS is working around the world.

Yep. We had our scratch cups recently. Junior was won by a 4 PH with a gross 72, Intermediate won by a 10 PH with a gross 82, Minor won by a 22 PH with a gross 96. That Junior result looks a bit suss. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Well thats up to you if you dont want to discuss it with playing partners.

It is blatantly obvious though that a considerable cohort of club golfers have issue with it in its current guise however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

We have a guy similar but off 12 should be 6/7 in the prizes nearly every Wed in non counting 4 ball. A few years ago was in the prizes 34 times but was same handicap as start of year, got cut 2 at yearly review. Now he is higher than me (he is a hell of alot better), it was funny talking to new enough member who is a very decent player off 7. He was playing opposite him, the bandits partner was off 3, he thought he must be off around 3 as well looking at him play got a shock when they had 49pts at the end to find out he had 13 shots 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,708 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pure banditry, but clubs own fault for having a non counting comp, ridiculous that someone can win prizes 34 times in one year and not get cut. Sometime seriously wrong with how that club is run.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well that is a stupid thing to say.

if a club never ran fourballs, foresomes, team comps, scrambles, scotch, mixed, father and son and not to mention comps over the winter months…….. well I thinks it’s safe to say they wouldn’t last long because there would be no point in just playing singles for 8 months of the year

It should be more a criticism of Golf Ireland that some of those formats aren't recognised formats for handicap purposes. Foursomes and scrambles obviously can't be, but fourball and other team formats where everyone's score is (or can be) recorded, should be counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I don't know about that. Even I, as a high handicapper, play differently in a fourball, going for high tariff shots that I wouldn't in singles. Particularly if my partner has 2 points in the bag. Also, as the allowance is 85%, I will play some holes differently as I will have 1 shot on some holes where I would normally have 2.

Not sure that really changes much. Off the tee, you'll be playing a cagey shot if your partner is in trouble, but I certainly would be the same in strokeplay. And if your partner is safe, there's no guarantee that they'll score, so still would play percentage golf. And having one less shot wouldn't change my approach, I'd still want to score as low as possible either way. All in all, I think the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages. Even if you have a lot of scratches, ten hole scores make a counting round.

I can see both sides of the argument there, but not sure how I feel. I guess in a team comp if I have a putt for a birdie and there is a par already in the bag I'm more likely to hit it hard and at the hole, where as if i need to secure a par i'll probably do my best to cosy it up there. I'll certainly take on tougher more risky shots, but don't really see the problem here. if I shoot a decent score, well then great and i deserve the cut if it happens. if i loose a ball here and there and shoot a poor individual score.... well thats the flip side, but it is unlikely to change my handicap, unless all i play is fourballs!

So based on the above, I think it probably should count. I also think we should play more counting golf over the winter months.

Fourball has been an acceptable format of play for years in other jurisdictions. I know for a fact it does have its issues. For example, 2 guys playing together both have putts for say 3 points, first lad gets his..... second lad misses on purpose, maybe he does this a few times in a round, just to ensure that he doesn't shoot a top 8 score... much easier for the cheats to manipulate this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

it seems obvious, but you all need to max out your handicaps, once this happens the best golfer will win

Then the best golfer will win

problem solved

Played in an open on Monday, had an average score but it should have knocked off a better score so handicap should probally slightly increase. The score is up on the app but only have 7 scores highlighted in green instead of 8, with one of my greens now out of my last 20. I would have thought my handicap would have adjusted by now but hasn't yet? How do I get this updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

So basically just everyone play off scratch and totally abolish any handicap system. Makes sense. :D

By rights that should have updated overnight when the score is locked in. However, sometimes a competition is re-opened to make changes and this can cause all scores in it to go back to 'pending'. I'd wait and see if it resolves overnight assuming the comp is closed again and I'm correct. ☺️

No has not changed and score went up on Tuesday should I contact the club that I played the comp in as have another comp tonight and would like to have to slight increase if due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

What happens in winter with the new system? Will it be similar to before where once comps are no longer qualifying you'll get a separate winter handicap?

There is no such thing as a separate winter handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't mean through the WHS system, the winter handicaps that clubs (used to) manage themselves. Once there are non-qualifying conditions (e.g. placing in the rough), is the handicap still managed through WHS?

Well if it’s non qualifying then there is nothing to manage is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

This is genius. Then maybe we could introduce some system whereby the newer/weaker players are given some allowance (maybe some extra shots allowed per round) to enable them to compete on a level playing field. This could change golf forever.

/s <-- shouldn't be needed, but it probably is.

If the score is up on Golf Ireland, the club has no other input into it. The Golf Ireland portal does all the calculations and selects the scores that make up your handicap index. Are you sure you have only seven selected and that you have at least 20 scores in there?

Yep I have about 50 scores up there!! Yep sure only 7 selected in green was onto the club they reloaded it, no change yet.

Have you looked through your score differentials for your last 20 rounds? You should be able to pick out the eight best and see which one is not included.

Lost a 9.9 next best is a 14.5 that is not included so what will I go up around 0.5?

• Advertisement

Shock/Horror 4 man team event 2 to score yesterday guess who on winning team, had a look at card only on card 14 times 😂

Advertisement