Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Also a High handicapper golfer, off 25 say, only needs to have a double bogey free round to have a great score. someone off 10 trying to compete with that needs to go around in +3 gross. Presuming the 25 gets no pars.

For us high handicappers a double free round is a lot trickier than you might think.

I played off 25 over the weekend and had 42 points. I had 4 doubles and a triple, balanced out with 5 pars. This is the best round of golf I have every played in my life by the way. If I can play consistently to that level I will be playing off 18 which was my goal for 2021. I am not near playing that well consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Does the WHS have any influence on fourball and team events results. In my club well known bandits/cowboys/cheats have got extra shots back and are cleaning up in fourball and team events.. Looking at the scorecards ,single handicap golfers could shoot the lights out and yet are way off the top three cards. I've made enquiries and have been told that nothing can be done until end of year review. By the year end some of the boyos will be millionaires!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

stupid new boards... cant break your post down to reply to relevant points :(

anyway my point is that if someone wants to run up a heap of bad scores on purpose to inflate their handicap, it's not that hard, especially as they can play a few 9 hole casual rounds. then they go and play the big games and rake in a few prizes. we all know it happens, moreso now under the WHS system,

i agree with your second paragraph. but i still think there needs to be a compromise, and your ability should also be factored in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Fourball and other formats aren't as yet considered acceptable scores for WHS in Ireland. That will probably change soon enough. I imagine after a year of WHS we'll see some changes as the picture emerges of how it's progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think its fair to accept that the current system is not working as it was hoped especially for how we play the game here i.e. more competitive golf that casual rounds.

i think a 1 shot increase cap like we had in CONGU would be better than the 5 shot cap there currently. There is no system going to satisfy everyone and some would consider that to be harsh but it is what people were used to in the previous system.

a 54 handicap allowance is too many IMO a cap of 28 was more reasonable. The argument that those that needed 54 handicap had no chance of being comeptitive doesnt wash as those players are in the minority as opposed to the majority of club players with handicaps under 28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anyone know the answer to this? Can’t find definitive answer online really and as far as I know nothing in my own club has changed anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah, new Boards is pretty brutal alright !

Ah I get your point, and mostly agree with you tbh. I just wonder if, no matter what system is devised, you'll always have p1ss takers who try to game it. I think the cap of 5 shots is too high, but then I think 1 shot under CONGU was too low. It'd be interesting to see how it has been received in other countries that brought it in. Would there be the same emphasis on competitions and "winning" that there is here ? Would there be the same, lets say "nod and a wink" culture ? I totally agree it wasn't needed, there's almost no benefit to 99% of golfers in having a unified worldwide system.

I dunno, should a system be continually changed to try to outfox the few, or do we say it broadly works and there's always outliers ? I know lots won't agree with this, but my personal view is that the guy who intentionally builds his handicap and then wins the Captains is largely (but not 100%) an urban myth created by fellas who could never play to their own handicaps. Whether a winning score any Saturday is 30pts or 45pts, someone will have the best score of the day. By the very nature of the game, and if the CONGU thing of "once every seven rounds" was in any way true, the chances are that player will have had a run of poor scores prior to his good one. Now, building your handicap to get on interclub teams is totally different and I'd guess that was pretty widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭blue note

Is there any chance they'll amend course ratings based on the scores on them? This was my expectation at the start - that some courses would be ranked as easier / harder than others when the experience of people playing them is very different. In theory since the handicaps are adjusted for the course you're playing you'd expect the scores to be similar net of handicap on different courses. But l look at the scores on my current course compared to my previous and the winning scores tend to be about 2 shots better at home. A friend moved from Kileen to Portmarnock links and finds the same.

My understanding is that you can only rank courses based on the set criteria - things like length, hazards in landing areas, speed of greens, etc. And if the scores suggest that the ranking is wrong, all you can do is reassess based on the same criteria. But you can't say, "the average winning stableford score here is 41 points, the average for a club is 39, therefore people are getting too many shots in the playing handicap adjustment / their handicaps are staying too high."

I can only tell you that Golf Ireland said not to put the slope ratings on scorecards as they would likely be changing. I would imagine that a lot of aspects of WHS would be reviewed, but not until the playing season is over. More data meaning better decisions I suppose. All of this is my own conjecture, nothing has been officially announced.

All I can tell you is that the changes to flag and bunker protocols were left up to clubs to implement or not as they saw fit. I haven't seen anything about scorecards, but maybe check with The Heritage and ask them directly are they implementing normal scorecard handling rules. Also, some clubs insist that the markers name be put on the card, but this isn't a DQ offence afaik.

You should also check the rules of golf from the R&A with regard to covid. Afaik, the rule on handling scorecards hasn't been changed.

Edit: Found this in the club support section on the GI website. This part may apply to your friend. People should take note of this as it seems to be a change in process. I'm particularly interested in the 'signing' of a scorecard. It seems to run counter to the whole idea of signing.

In case the above is unreadable, here's the relevant text:

If physical scorecards are used, in all cases the MARKER should enter the player’s scores on a scorecard (it is advisable that each player keep their own score as well as the score of the person they are marking). At the end of the round, the marker should ask the player to verbally certify his/her scores, and then write the player’s name in the player’s signature slot. The marker signs the card in the marker’s signature slot.

Post edited by prawnsambo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Here's a selection of other notable scores from Kerry last weekend

Tralee Presidents Prize:

1st: 45pts off 19

2nd: 42pts off 29

Ballybunion Presidents Prize (Old Course):

1st: 46pts off 22

Dooks Presidents Prize:

1st: 44pts off 26

Ross Captains prize:

1st: 66nett off 20

Kenmare Captains Prize:

1st: 62nett off 11

Waterville:

1st: 40pts off 25

https://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/golf-weekly-winners-round-up-2-246080

What's the point in paying the entry fees for members comps when the above scores are being recorded?

These results aren't that unusual for major club competitions. Just had a look around some of the clubs around me and other ones in Dublin and I see plenty of 40+ points or mid 60s net winning them last year. Last year our Captain's was won by a 30 handicapper with 66 net. And the chap is no bandit, lots of struggles with his game due to injury and worked hard at it. Everyone delighted to see him win. You can't just look at a couple of numbers and make a judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golf Ireland had a committee of people put together to go around the country and look at the slope and course ratings. My wifes Aunt was on one of the rating teams in Leinster reviewing the courses from the red tees.

Havent chatted to her in a while, but I'd be amazed if that was a once off exercise, so would say itll be open to revision

I'd be surprised if they'll actually go through the whole visiting and rating process again though. It took about two years to do the current ratings and they advertised for volunteers to do it. I know they will visit and rate courses on request where a layout has changed or a new set of tees need to be rated for women or men. I would expect them to review the data and assess the accuracy of the ratings from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Pretty clear at this stage that the WHS is not a good fit for Ireland where we take our comps seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

While there has been a lot of talk of WHS not been a good fit. Our club introduced a €5 per casual round fee. This seems to have stopped or prevented people from entering cards before majors.

Captains Qualifiers yesterday and today. While conditions where not conducive to good scoring the following is a breakdown of the results

258 Entered. Top 36 qualify. Covered by 6 shots 67-73 Nett. Only 3 from 15 73's made the grade ( Par 70 Course 70.4 off the Comp Tees)

6 Players 18+

25 Players 10-18

5 Players under 10

This is probably how WHS should work. Changing the frequency or removing the ability to enter Causal Rounds will clean up a lot of the issues with WHS

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Any idea what happens when we get to winter golf? Will the new system freeze while placing is in place or will handicaps continue to move?

Would assume it'll be the same, yii csm only hsve qualifying golf in qualifying conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

How does the PCC get applied to your score on a particular day? With the decent enough weather this summer have not seen it applied yet

today though was wild enough wind wise so I’m expecting scoring overall to be poor - though I played ok

say there is a PCC of +2 or +3 today- does that get subtracted from my score differential?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

I’m not that familiar with the whs system, so can anyone tel me if thIs looks normal or a bit iffy.

Captains prize last month, leader after day 1 is net 65 with a handicap off 24.

Click onto golf ireland app and he has just 8 cards available and they consist of

3 at 130 strokes

4 between 98-101

captains card 89

Is that gouging or someone who doesn’t get to play a lot?

• Advertisement

Yes.

I was a bit confused the other day with a PCC of 2. Took me a while to work it out as I couldn’t find anything on the WHS or GI site to indicate the formula.

but I worked it out, yep it is (adj gross - course rating - pcc)* 113/slope

What's the time scale? You often get this kind of improvement from a new handicap who joins a club, gets their handicap and gets a fair bit of practice in or lessons and starts to 'firm up' their game. Especially young lads who can hit the ball a mile, but it's a mile in every direction until they get it under control.

With eight scores in, their index will be the average of their best two, so based on a rough calculation, their index will be down to around 18 or 19. Could be lower if that 89 includes one or more holes where the score was above nett double bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

I can’t tell the timescale, don’t think you can see it from the app. This lad is prob nearer 40’s than a young lad getting into it.

Its probably genuine but doesn’t look that great imo.

If it's in your club, you should be able to see the timescale from your HowDidIDo or Master Scoreboard (or whatever software you use for results).

That age group could well be somebody getting back into golf after a long layoff. Would have a similar scoring trajectory to a young lad starting off.

Some clubs are limiting Captain's Prize winners to those who have twenty or more scores under WHS. But as I said above, cuts are more severe at the earlier stages under WHS. Average of best two score differentials when you've seven or eight in and three when it's nine to eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭blue note

I really think it's terrible that every good score seems to be looked on with skepticism now. Anyone who has a good score must be paranoid about what people are saying about them. Except it's not paranoia, because they are saying those things about them.

Sometimes people try to play their best all the time and then some day it all comes together and they have a great round. You'd all enjoy the game more if you'd accept that that's the case the majority of the time and not worry about the minority out there. Let the handicap secretaries and the clubs deal with them if they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i agree

And without actually checking this out, the scoring average with WHS seems to have gone up across all categories. so in that sense its a better reflection of a players current form/ability.

therefore the result is that the winner is also going to have a better score

the people without 20 scores in can probably game the system a bit easier. though early good scores are penalised until the 20 are in to level out the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'd agree with this 100%. I don't play golf to win competitions or prizes, I play with the aim of lowering my handicap as low as possible. Most lads I play with would be similar, sure its nice to win a prize now and then or put in a good score but in general the aim is lowering the handicap and anyone I've been paired with seem to be generally sound guys just trying to enjoy the game and put in a score, obviously there are some exceptions. I really think this idea of 'bandits' artificially inflating their handicaps until a big competition is mostly a myth. I'm sure there are some people who do it but I just don't buy into it being as widespread as some say. Not sure if its just my club but there are some people who seem to care about nothing only comps, its usually those guys who moan loudest about these 'bandits', I just don't think anyone should care that much about a competition really. Its not like anyone outside of the club gives a crap about it and many within couldn't care less who wins them either.

What I do think is an issue is those with only a handful of scores winning majors, my club doesn't allow new members win the major comps in their first year, I've still played in them all even though I knew I couldn't win. I'm shocked that this isn't a rule in all courses to be honest, or at least a minimum of 20 scores in before you can win it. I'm also inclined to think there should be some limit on handicaps though I'm not sure where you'd draw the line there.

if you are a member, you are a member.... I think it's disgraceful that any club takes your money and then says you are not allowed win the comp

I've no problem with there being a minimum number of games played before a major

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

played interclub last night which had a limit of 11.5 on the 1st of May this year. My handicap has gone from 12.1 to 8.9 in the meantime. Other teams captain came over to me ahead of the game and during the match to give me a polite grilling on my playing record recently :)

Really don't get the mentality of people fluffing up their handicap. I always go out with the intention of playing my best and I reckon my best is about a 5 or 6 handicap. I know my personal circumstance will change in the future and I will have less time to practice as much as I can now or play as much midweek. I am sure my handicap will go back up but on a good day I will go low I will post a high stableford score. I would say alot of good scores going forward will be because of that, thats down to the new system

• Advertisement

To be honest i think the increased handicap limits are possibly a bigger issue than the actual calculation system itself.

I find I'm enjoying the new system in terms of the focus it gives me in terms of looking at my rolling 20

Advertisement