Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What was your CONGU handicap compared to your first WHS HI?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

By what you're saying, you had few enough scores before changeover. So they might have added the adjustment to bring your calculated WHS index in line with your CONGU handicap. The calculation also takes in adjustments applied by the committee - I've copied a similar adjustment and you can see it comes directly off the calculated score differential.

The score differential is calculated in the normal way and then the adjustment is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

what is the logic for not revealing these adjustments to the player via the portal? It just causes confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

I only had 5 scores in last year. the last 2 of those were 2 decent rounds. based on those 2 rounds i went from 14 to 10 in the old system.

(2 shots based on the standard scratch, 1 shot for ESR, and a further 1 shot for GPR applied by the committee)

As I said earlier, players are supposed to be informed of any adjustments to their index.

Any adjustment to a player's Handicap Index must be applied only after the player has been informed and has had an opportunity to respond.

Adjustments should only increase a player's Handicap Index by up to 5.0 strokes above the player's Low Handicap Index, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Such circumstances could include a player who has a long-term illness or injury preventing them from playing golf at the level previously attained.

I would imagine (if you read the above snippet), members may have an adjustment applied for health reasons and since other members can see their record, it may be a privacy issue.

Edit: That snippet is a bit small, so I've quoted it.

• Advertisement

You said earlier that you had them added recently. I suspect that the adjustments were applied so that the addition of those scores wouldn't change your current WHS index. But I'm only surmising here, you'd need to ask your h/cap sec.

ya ill follow up again - thanks for your help.

I was speaking to him the other day and he was saying it was because i had no low index set but i just cant seem to see an explanation of this online. Wanted to get my head round it before i went back to him again, thanks

Well I suppose the first question is did your handicap index change when those old scores were added? If not, that's what the adjustment was for.

No low index set would just mean that you don't have a soft or hard cap (and obviously don't have 20 scores in yet) - second question is whether you have produced scores that would put you past either and third question is whether you have a score that would attract an ESR - which wouldn't be affected by the presence or absence of a low index. And an ESR would only be for a max adjustment of 2 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

"I would imagine (if you read the above snippet), members may have an adjustment applied for health reasons and since other members can see their record, it may be a privacy issue."

Yes, but they already hide the date of other players' rounds, so I would guess that this adjustment column could be similarily treated. Even for my own scores, if I could deep dive to discover how the score diff is calculated. It hasn't affected me personally, but it is causing some confusion obviously.

I know you are not even the messenger, so not aiming at you, never mind shooting.

No the addition of the extra 5 score was not affecting my index much (a change of + 0.5) so it wasnt making much difference - i only wanted them added so i could to the 20 rounds quicker and have a more accurate handicap. the cut of 7 on those differentials has resulted in my index dropping from 8.2 to 3. Very severe in my opinion and to be honest a bit embarrassing as im nowhere near that level.

• Advertisement

Well then definitely take it up with your h/cap sec. And come armed with the calculations and ask directly if there was an adjustment made. Ask for a copy of your handicap certificate from the Golf Ireland clubhouse portal. There's a lot more info there and it shows adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

in The app my 8 best score differences add up to 54.2 so when you divide by 8 for my index i reckon it should be 6.8 but it showing as 8.0 on the app any ideas why?

That should calculate out to your index, even if there are adjustments, they should be included in the score differentials. The only reason I can think of is if there's a score differential that would affect your handicap, dropping off due to a very recent round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

The 8 in green in the app add to the 54.2 which gives me 6.77 buy the index says 8.0 on the app. I was expecting/hoping to be in the 6s really

Yes. But if you've a new score that is going to affect your index, but hasn't gone through the overnight update yet, it will not show up in green until then. The same if a score that's included in your index, but is going to drop off due to a new score pushing it to number 21 will still show up as green until the overnight update.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Its kinda hard to say for sure without seeing the scores. I presume you definitely have 20 scores or more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lip Out

The comments section for recent posts of Tramore's Fcaebook page makes for some entertaining reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Just read it 😁

WHS needs to be revised. There is no point in any single figure/honest golfer playing in comps anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well, the 2 handicapper had 68 gross, which was 66 nett. He'd have been well in the hunt for a prize only he got the gross instead

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

I was thinking about the new WHS system and particularly looking at the winners of captain prizes at different clubs. It seems to be weighted in favour of the higher handicap golfer. The higher handicap golfer tends to be more erratic and so will get 5 shots back quicker than a more consistent Lower or mid handicap golfer. This is leading to vey low winning scores which are not attainable for low handicap golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Also a High handicapper golfer, off 25 say, only needs to have a double bogey free round to have a great score. someone off 10 trying to compete with that needs to go around in +3 gross. Presuming the 25 gets no pars.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Our captains prize was this weekend too. The guy leading going into the 9 hole playoff had 45 points off of 20, was off 13 last August. Feel sorry for the guy off 6 who shot level par in the 18 hole qualifier and 19 points in the playoff. It was eventually won by a guy off 26 who had 2 shots on 4 holes of the playoff.

21 players qualify for the 9 hole playoff. In previous years, 36 points had a chance to qualify and 37 was a banker. This year only one of the 39 points got through. The scoring is crazy. I think this trend will just discourage more and more people from playing in competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Don't worry too much, there'll be plenty of guys playing off 10 next year who can go around in level par.

Some just through a bad spell of golf, but many others are working their way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

I don’t have any real issues with this,As it should be the same level of difficulty for the 25 handicap golfer to go around double bogey free as it is for the 10 handicap golfer to shoot 3 over gross. My point was more that the higher handicap golfer will have more erratic scores. If we take your example of the 25 handicap golfer, Their scoring is more likely to be worse than 5 over their handicap on their 20 counting rounds due to bad decision making and ability, hence why they are playing off a 25 handicap. The 10 handicap golfer will scramble scores better and in my opinion less likely to shoot 5 over their handicap in their 20 rounds.Leading to a high handicap golfer drifting in handicap quicker. I have noted a lot of high handicap golfers win Captains prizes this year with very low nett scores, That would be nearly impossible for low handicap golfers to match. I wonder if 90% of your course handicap might be fairer for competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The handicaps can go up to much to quick. It opens it up to all sorts of hi-jinks. Something needs to be done, but we can’t go back to the old way, so we need a fair compromise.

So before you handicap was rolling, every round counted, be that a cut or a .1 back. Now it is basically the average of you best 8 cards out of your last 20 rounds. With 3 years worth of scores being on your live record.

the current cap is 5 above your lowest HI in the last 12 months.

To keep with the best 8 idea I think a fair cap would be limited to 3 higher than average of your best 8 scores on record (ie 3 years)

keeps it current, but also keeps manners on anyone who thinks they can just stick in a few stinkers so their handicap will shoot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just asking in this thread for easy purposes

Friend won Open Competition in The Heritage at the weekend but has been DQd since he marked his own card and signed his own card.

They say that rule is gone now. Have to admit - I’m not aware of this and nothing has changed in my home club about it (still marking our own card)

Even more bizarre, a member played with his group and marked his own card too!

Can anyone confirm?

I also wonder how many scores are these people putting in. That score of 55 nett in Tramore (by my calculations) was by someone with less than 20 scores in their WHS. I know at least one club that exclude members with less than 20 WHS calculated scores from winning their Captain's Prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

I think that's the only sensible option for clubs to eliminate the issue of new golfers cleaning up. You can't play in most interclub comps until you have a full year of handicap golf under your belt. Same rule should be applied for club majors.

The other problem of guys with years experience of playing golf, sandbagging their handicaps so they can win majors or compete at interclubs is a different and much longer running issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but with regard to sticking in a few stinkers, isn't the flip side also true in that they're gone again off your record fairly quickly ? For, say, a retiree who plays 3/4 times a week, its probably only a month and a half. I'm hopefully well off retiring just yet, but had a back to back 42, 40 & 35 points last week - under CONGU I'd have lost 2.0 plus a ESR of another shot. That would take me 3 years to get back if I was that way inclined. As it is it's only been a net reduction of 1.4 and when a few other scores drop off my record shortly, unless I keep playing well I'll be back where I started or higher.

I think we're all at times still thinking of WHS and sub consciously comparing to CONGU. To me, WHS is more a measure of your current "form", whereas CONGU was a measure of your "level" (whatever that might be !) - I know that might sound odd but it makes sense in my head anyway :D

By its nature of counting all rounds equally, as opposed to only being able to go up on 0.1 increments previously, I think its going to be easier to get low but harder to stay low over the longer term. If the old CONGU research that showed golfers were only supposed to play to their handicap once every seven rounds is true (and presumably golfers haven't changed even though the system has), there's going to be a lot more bad rounds than good ones on your record and I think our handicaps will be much more volatile but probably in much smaller increments.

I know, like seemingly everywhere, we're seeing much higher scores needed to win each week but the spread of winners is much greater than previously. Maybe thats the new normal, I dunno.

Advertisement