Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What's your meal plan dinners this week?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Our weekly shop is coming this evening, so the dinners for the coming week are:

Thursday: Roast turkey, roast potatoes and brussel sprouts (Got this turkey joint in SuperValu, which we have had before and it is lovely: https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1575607000).
    Friday: Homemade spice bag with curry sauce
    Saturday: Chicken Tikka Masala
    Sunday: Chilli Con Carne
    Monday: Steak (probably with mushrooms/onions/spinach and baked potato)
    Tuesday: Beef nachos with the leftover chilli
    I am in college Tuesday, so need something quick and very easy once that finishes. Next Wednesday will probably be take away of some sort.

Unsure what we are doing today, the cupboards are almost bare, and emptied the freezer last week. There are some sausages, so hoping the delivery comes early (booked to arrive between 6 and 8pm) so will probably be bangers and mash or chips, or some variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

So this week for me was/is:

Monday Mustard stuffed chicken with baby potatoes & roasted tenderstem
    Tuesday Summer vegetables and chickpeas I wouldn't follow that recipe to the letter, I use whatever veg is on the super 6 or what I have in the fridge and 3 courgettes I think would be way too much.
    Wednesday: Duck Gyoza made previously. Last time I cooked them from frozen they all stuck - which hadn't happened other times. Wish me luck this evening.
    Thursday: Mixed bean chilli - I just use frozen wedges here.
    Friday will be some kind of burger and homemade chips.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

......Parmesan and potato croquettes.....(along with Roast spuds of course)...

UzMkT2nl.jpg

xdbFH5ll.jpg

ln48ifil.jpg

.......time for a beer! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They look amazing, Phormium! Is it just mash and parmesan? Also, do you freeze them at this point or cook them first?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

They're frozen by now.
    Half the block of Parmesan went in. Had them last year, shallow fried. Very nice, the Parmesan comes through.

Yeah, just mash and Parmesan. About 4 big spuds.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Back to normality now the Christmas is done and all the leftovers have been slowly eaten!
    I tried the Tuscan Chicken mentioned earlier in the thread at the weekend and it was lovely. I paired it with a linguine tossed in a bit of lemon juice, parmesean, parsley and spring onion and it was a keeper!

This weeks dinners:
    Sunday: Roast Chicken with sweetcorn and new potatoes
    Monday: Fish, mash and beans
    Tuesday: Chicken Curry
    Wednesday: Savory mince and potatoes and carrots
    Thursday: Pork fillet, asparagus and potatoes
    Friday: Takeaway or Fakeaway depending on how energised I feel the first week back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Tonight is salad with a zingy lemon dressing (leaves, peppers boiled egg, cous cous, roast sweet potato and avocado).

Thursday is veg chilli, rice, tortilla crisps and sour cream.

Friday is salmon fishcakes with stirfried veg and noodles.

I collect the shopping on Saturday so that's as far as I have gotten but am trying to limit our meat consumption so have bought a few wildcard things like tofu, mixed beans and lots of halloumi!

Shopping arriving tomorrow, so hoping this plan will be it for the week:

Friday: Buttermilk fried chicken burgers
    Saturday: Bacon and Cabbage
    Sunday: Roast Pork dinner
    Monday: Spaghetti bolognese
    Tuesday: Bangers and Mash
    Wednesday: Chilli peanut beef
    Thursday: Ravioli

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Saturday: Meatballs and fried potato slices
    Sunday: Salmon, potatoes and veg
    Monday: Tuscan chicken with pasta
    Tuesday: Leftover tuscan chicken with pasta
    Wednesday: Meat, potatoes and veg
    Thursday: Thai green curry
    Friday: Leftover thai green curry
    Neyite wrote: »
    I tried the Tuscan Chicken mentioned earlier in the thread at the weekend and it was lovely.

I think you put the idea in my head, haven't had it for a while :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Wednesday: Steak and Potato Nachos
    Thursday: Chicken Fajitas
    Tonight: Curried Cauliflower Burger and Waffles for herself, Chicken goujons, Curry Sauce and Rice for me!
    Saturday: Fillet Steak, Fondant Potatoes and Pepper Sauce (and our last bottle of really good Cypriot Wine :( It's herself's birthday so we're having a treat!)
    Sunday: Veggie Cottage Pie
    Monday: Some pasta dish that's been in the freezer and needs to be used
    Tuesday: Fish Fingers, Mash and Veg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Lazy food week this week.

Tueaday chicken roast with all that goes
    Wednesday spag bol
    Thursday chicken and veg curry
    Today homemade pizza with sweet potato fries
    Saturday tacos
    Sunday chicken fajitas
    Monday sausage and mash

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

woodchuck wrote: »

I think you put the idea in my head, haven't had it for a while :P

Is there a particular recipe for the Tuscan chicken? I looked back over the thread and couldn't find it.

leahyl wrote: »
    Is there a particular recipe for the Tuscan chicken? I looked back over the thread and couldn't find it.

I don't think there's a particular recipe knocking about, but I put one together from a few I'd read online:

Ingredients:
    - 4 chicken breasts, cubed
    - 250ml single cream
    - Chicken stock (I use 1 cube of kallo in 200ml boiling water)
    - ~6 cloves of garlic, minced
    - ~50g grated parmesan cheese (or other similar cheese)
    - Spinach
    - Sundried tomatoes
    - ~1-2tsp dried oregano
    - Pasta to serve

Method:
    - Fry the chicken in a pan
    - In a pot, add the cream, stock, garlic, oregano and cheese. Heat and whisk until the cheese melts and the sauce starts to thicken.
    - Add the fried chicken and sundried tomatoes to the pot.
    - Separately, boil pasta.
    - Just before the pasta is done, add the spinach to the pot of sauce.
    - Serve and enjoy!

That's enough for 2 of us for 2 days. If you are having it over 2 days though, I divide the sauce in half before adding the spinach to one half. Then I add the spinach fresh to the second half the next day.

You can use as much or as little Spinach or sundried tomato as you like. A 90g bag of spinach will do us for 4 meals, but I've used bigger bags sometimes too (cause sure it all just wilts into nothing anyway!). I get a small jar of sundried tomatoes in Tesco and wouldn't use it all, maybe half or two thirds, but it just depends on your own tastes. I also chop the sundried tomatoes into smaller pieces before using them.

I got the idea off someone here and they had it with mashed potatoes. So I tried it with mashed potatoes a couple of times - while it was delicious, it was just too rich for my tummy! I find pasta works much better.

I think some people have mentioned a slow cooker recipe for it too, so they might be able to help you out there :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The pasta I paired the tuscan chicken with is this one - I wasn't sure about having a parmesean in both dishes so I kind of winged the quantities. I used the slow cooker version for the chicken. I'll see if I can link to it. Edit, here's the recipe I used: https://www.eatwell101.com/crock-pot-tuscan-garlic-chicken

Linguine pasta
    2 tablesp parmesan
    juice of half a lemon
    couple of tablesp olive oil
    bunch of chopped parsley
    bunch of spring onions, sliced.

Boil the pasta, mix all the other ingredients in a separate bowl and when you drain the cooked pasta, mix together (or mix to taste). Serve with chicken on top.

We have decided we would like to do more meat free dinners here, at least 1 a week, preferably 2, but all our usual dinners have typically revolved around meat.
    Grateful for any veggie recipes in your regular meal plan. The ravioli on your plan this week is meat free, will try the halloumi and mushroom kebabs from The Cooking Club soon also. We do normally do gnocchi with mozzarella and basil regularly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

cee_jay wrote: »
    We have decided we would like to do more meat free dinners here, at least 1 a week, preferably 2, but all our usual dinners have typically revolved around meat.
    Grateful for any veggie recipes in your regular meal plan. The ravioli on your plan this week is meat free, will try the halloumi and mushroom kebabs from The Cooking Club soon also. We do normally do gnocchi with mozzarella and basil regularly too.

I started a thread on this on the veggie forum if you want to contribute over there. I got a few ideas! I was substituting a lot with quorn (fajitas, enchiladas, pasta bakes etc) but am getting a bit sick of them.
    I use cooked green lentils in place of mince in shepherds pie and lasagne.
    We regularly have veggie chilli, nachos or sweet potato/ butternut squash risotto. I also love chickpea, sweet potato and cauliflower curry.
    I bought a lot of halloumi and tofu in this weeks shopping so I will hopefully have some ideas in a few days.

I'm not a vegetarian, but have Jamie Oliver's chilli con veggie in my regular rotation and is worth a go:
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/kerryann-s-chilli-con-veggie/

I also do a butternut squash dahl fairly regularly. I actually add a little chicken to convince himself to eat it, but I originally learned it as a meat-free recipe!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This is a staple in our house, a squash and coconut curry. It's a very simple curry, quick to prepare and minimal ingredients. And it's very tasty too :D

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/squash-coconut-curry

Thanks for the ideas, I'll give them a shot!
    We had tomato and mozzarella ravioli today, I did a really tasty sauce with passata, onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms with it.

A friend shared a recipe for rice and beans today:
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279361/the-best-baked-rice-and-beans/
    Plan on doing this over the coming week, and have added the ingredients to my online shopping order. I am also planning on the halloumi and mushroom kebabs from the cooking club as there is a pack of halloumi I'm the fridge needing using up.

I pulled out my Roasting Tray cooking books yesterday evening, there are some nice looking veggie and vegan recipes in those!

This week's plan - as always things get moved around due to best before dates:

Saturday: Bacon & Cabbage (we didn't have this last week - downfall of not know what is going to arrive in the online shop)
    Sunday: Lasagne
    Monday: Rice and Beans with homemade guac.
    Tuesday: Roast Chicken
    Wednesday: Halloumi and mushroom skewers with cous cous (Cooking Club recipe)
    Thursday: Chicken and Broccoli Beef
    Friday: Beef Black Bean stir fry

• Advertisement

Saturday: Homemade chicken fajitas
    Sunday: Meat, potato, veg
    Monday: Fish pie (first time trying this!)
    Tuesday: Leftover fish pie (hopefully there'll be enough from the first day or I can raid the freezer if stuck)
    Wednesday: Chilli con veggie (leftovers from the freezer) with rice
    Thursday: Butterflied chicken topped with pesto, tomato and cheese. Served with potatoes and veg.
    Friday: Meat, potato, veg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Doing meat-free January

Saturday: Butternut squash risotto
    Sunday: Veggie lasagna
    Monday: Chopped salad with avocado and feta
    Tuesday: Leftover veggie lasagna with salad
    Wednesday: Spicy beef bowl made with quorn mince
    Thursday: Black bean chilli burritos
    Friday: Courgette and pesto pasta

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pizza tonight which means the exact same ones tomorrow too as I can't be bothered freezing opened toppings etc.

Going to do some significant batch cooking tomorrow, freezer and storage boxes are all empty:

Gumbo (chicken/sausage) - 4 or 6 servings
    Beef stew - 4 servings
    Cottage pie - 2x 2 serving ones in separate dishes

Might be a bit wintery focused, but after having my water mains freeze last week it still feels like winter here!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I’ve tried to be a bit more regimented this year when it comes to meal planning. I used to always just pick up something on the way home from work and cook whatever when I got home.

Working from home lends itself to being better prepared. Plus I don’t want to be going to the shops so much.

Batch cooking is something I do a lot and it’s so handy to take something from the freezer when I’m not in the humour to do a lot of cooking. I’ve noticed recently that the stuff I freeze tends to be minced meat based, ragu, chilli, shepherds pie and also the likes of stews as they freeze/defrost easily.

Does anybody have any other ideas for dishes that I could batch cook for the freezer?

I have frozen some rice dishes like chicken biryani before, also red lentil dahl. I also seem to make too much dahl, and it freezes and reheats well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I tend to freeze stuff like rice or cooked dried beans, and sauces, seperately.

Then I can add whatever fresh veg and meat/protein that I like, rather than freezing the whole cooked dish.

Allows for variation.

I find curries freeze pretty well!

I also do a chicken and butternut squash dahl dish that freezes fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Trying to have as much from the freezer this week to clear it out.

Monday. Chili and roasted squash.
    Tuesday. Cod baked with chorizo and almond topping with caponata.
    Wed. Burgers and potato wedges.
    Thursday. Roast chicken and veg
    Friday. Chili and baked potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Got my sh1t together last week and put this week's meal plan in a shared Google Calendar.

Today: Buttermilk chicken burgers with homemade buns and sweet potato fries (and peas which I couldn't be arsed microwaving so I left them out)
    Sunday: Gnocchi with peas and prosciutto
    Monday: Cajun spiced chicken drumsticks with corn on the cob and crispy potato cubes
    Tuesday: Steak, charred broccoli, mash and creamy mushroom sauce
    Wednesday: Takeaway
    Thursday: Parsnip and chorizo pizza in the oven or the Ooni depending on the weather

We had a red lamb curry on the list but Tesco subbed in Blue Dragon curry paste which tastes like a jar of salt so I handed it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Last week

Dinner|Lunch|Meal

Sunday |Monday |Lamb Leg Roast Dinner
    Monday |Tuesday| Harissa sticky chicken with couscous
    Tuesday |Wednesday |Kisir with Lamb Cutlets
    Wednesday| Thursday |Harissa cauliflower pilaf
    Thursday |Friday | Harira
    Friday | |Harira

Last week worked out well, so making an effort to use up the few pieces of veggies/meat that weren't used up this week, before going on a shop again.

This Week
    Dinner|Lunch|Meal

Sunday | Monday | Chicken with Gochujang sauce
    Monday | Tuesday | Tom Yum with chicken
    Tuesday | Wednesday | Buckwheat, mushrooms sauce, with fresh salad
    Wednesday | Thursday | Harissa cauliflower pilaf
    Thursday | Friday | Shepherd's Pie|
    Friday| | ??|

Advertisement