Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What's your meal plan dinners this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Goats cheese, tomato and basil gnocchi
    Fish finger Bhurta
    Southern fried chicken, mash, coleslaw and gravy
    Black bean and pumpkin tostadas
    Giant sausage roll
    Meatballs and spaghetti
    Eggplant parmigiana

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mine this week have been/are:
    Saturday: Homemade pizzas and chinese chicken wings,
    Sunday: Roast chicken, carrots and mash
    Monday: Lasange and crusty bread
    Tuesday: Homemade steak & kidney pie (new recipe inspired by this thread) panfried brussel sprouts and potatoes.

Wednesday: Vietnamese pork bowls with rice (again, new & inspired by this thread)
    Thursday: Salmon darnes, potatoes and savoy cabbage.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My two new recipes this week are keepers according to the jury.

Vietnamese pork bowls tasted amazing. Whoever said it smelled like feet when you add the nam pla earlier in the thread was wrong.

It smells worse than feet. :D

However, if you crank your extractor fan and your hob up as high as they go and hold your breath while stirring it, the smell soon cooks off and is gone entirely by the time you add the sugar. Keep cooking it on high until it's well caramelised. I served it with noodles, and had cherry tomato, spring onion, chilli slices, and coriander leaf as accompaniments.

The only fault is that I wanted more afterwards.

The steak and kidney pie was also exactly the ticket on a cold wintry night. It takes quite a while to slow-cook it off on the hob so the sauce thickens so I think next time I'll do it in bulk, freeze portions of the filling and then with frozen puff pastry it'll be a quick and easy freezer meal. I added a tablespoon of horseradish which really set it off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Saturday: Meatballs and fried potatoes
    Sunday: Chicken supreme, mash and peas
    Monday: Lasagne and garlic bread
    Tuesday: Leftover lasagne and garlic bread
    Wednesday: Chicken Kievs, mash and peas
    Thursday: Chilli con veggie and rice
    Friday: Leftover chilli con veggie and rice

Ooni pizzas - have Caputo Nuvola flour to try
    Pork chasseur meatballs and tagliatelle
    Pumpkin laksa
    Halloumi with mexican salsa and lime coriander rice
    Five spice chilli squid
    River cottage crispy smoked haddock and cheese pancakes
    Fish finger bhorta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bento box
    Pasta with pine nuts, viva fake bacon and garlic bread
    Making a shepherdess pie with mash and gravy which will do Wed and Thursday
    Tacos and chips
    Bean and lentil Korma with homemade naan
    Sunday will be a sietan roast with all the trimmings. Trying my homemade Yorkshire puds for the first time so hopefully they turn out well

• Registered Users Posts: 10 joe1010

Mon: pork with mashed potatoes
    Tue: sushi or chinese
    Wed: chicken, carrots and rice
    Thu: Italian pasta with meatballs
    Fri: fish and chips
    Sat: roastbeef and salad
    Sun: homemade pizza (pepperoni and sausages)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Lots of freezer diving on the cards this week... somehow the chest freezer never seems to empty

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

My week:

Monday: Glazed Sesame salmon will have it with rice and broccoli
    Tuesday: Courgette risotto
    Wednesday: Halal cart chicken - the method of making the rice here ain't healthy but it is absolutely delicious
    Thursday: Bolognese from the freezer.

I ran out of steam when planning for the remainder of the week so see how it goes. Theres a frozen pizza and a bag of wedges in the freezer so likely how it will go on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

My week:

Monday: Glazed Sesame salmon will have it with rice and broccoli
    Tuesday: Courgette risotto
    Wednesday: Halal cart chicken - the method of making the rice here ain't healthy but it is absolutely delicious
    Thursday: Bolognese from the freezer.

I ran out of steam when planning for the remainder of the week so see how it goes. Theres a frozen pizza and a bag of wedges in the freezer so likely how it will go on Friday.
    I am free most evenings, I will bring cake and my own bib !:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

This week is a fridge and freezer emptying week. It is my birthday at the weekend, so we are treating ourselves, and need to create room in fridge for chilling alcohol and meal kits!

Monday: leftover chicken & ham fried rice
    Tuesday: Freezer burger and chips
    Wednesday: Yuk Sung, or something Asian with pork mince
    Thursday: I have ordered a gyoza and bao bun meal kit from Yumo
    Friday: Mister S Bossam meal, which from the sounds of it, will do us Saturday and Sunday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Monday (today): attempting a Tuscan Chicken recipe in the slow cooker. If it goes well,
    Tuesday: Tuscan Chicken leftovers
    Wednesday: Mince and chips
    Thursday: Chilli maybe.
    Friday: Pizza night
    Saturday: payday lunch treat is a wheel of camembert with crusty rolls and chutney. Bottle of wine too. Dinner will be light therefore. I'll make my mind up on Thursday when I'm doing the shopping.
    Sunday: Chicken and ham pie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Relying a lot on the BBC Good Food website for inspiration this week.

Tuesday: Creamy pesto and kale pasta.

Wednesday: Salmon, potato, leek traybake.

Thursday: Chicken noodle soup.

Friday: Prawn, lemon, pea risotto.

Saturday: Sausage ragu.

Sunday: Hake, chorizo, haricot beans. Inspired by this post on the picture thread a while back, because it looks incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Sunday: Hake, chorizo, haricot beans. Inspired by this post on the picture thread a while back, because it looks incredible.

There's a similar Rick Stein recipe we've made a couple of times, but we used cod.

Hake with chorizo and potatoes (Merluza à la Gallega)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Here's a rough idea of what we're having this week..

Tonight: Homemade Chicken Goujons with Chinese Curry Sauce and Rice
    Tomorrow: Pizza and Garlic Bread
    Friday: Burgers and Chips
    Saturday: Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas
    Sunday: Veggie Bolognese (I usually make this in bulk and freeze what's left over)
    Monday: Slow Cooker Roast Chicken, Roast Spuds, Veg and Gravy
    Tuesday: Lasagne (from the freezer)

If I don't make a veggie meal at least once a week, I get shouted at!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This week will probably go awry this evening as I have a late work meeting but the plan is:

Mon - FFYN (Fend For Yourself Night, i.e. I'm not cooking)
    Tue - N'duja, roasted tomato & pepper pasta
    Tonight - Baked potatoes with chilli
    Thu - Pulled Tandoori chicken, Bombay spuds, spiced roasted broccoli
    Fri - Burgers
    Sat - Venison steaks
    Sun - dunno yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Dial Hard wrote: »
    This week will probably go awry this evening as I have a late work meeting but the plan is:

Mon - FFYN (Fend For Yourself Night, i.e. I'm not cooking)
    Tue - N'duja, roasted tomato & pepper pasta
    Tonight - Baked potatoes with chilli
    Thu - Pulled Tandoori chicken, Bombay spuds, spiced roasted broccoli
    Fri - Burgers
    Sat - Venison steaks
    Sun - dunno yet

I am loving your Monday night options.

Could you share the pulled chicken dish? Sounds delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

jrosen wrote: »
    I am loving your Monday night options.

:D
    jrosen wrote: »
    Could you share the pulled chicken dish? Sounds delicious.

The chicken is from this recipe - www.hwcmagazine.com/recipe/pull-apart-chicken-tandoori-sweet-potato-skins/

Bombay spuds - www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipe/best-ever-bombay-potatoes. I cube them first and par-boil them for 5 minutes rather than leaving them whole.

Broccoli - http://www.gardenfreshfoodie.com/side-dishes/roasted-indian-cauliflower/. Only with broccoli, obvs! Be warned, it's fiendishly addictive, I've been eating it with everything lately. Still, there are worse things to get addicted to!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In no particular order:

Lasagne
    Curry
    Baked sweet potatoes &eggs
    Gardener’s pie
    Broccoli & rice casserole
    Enchiladas
    Wild Card

For next week I'm thinking:

Saturday: Chicken fajitas
    Sunday: Meat, potatoes and veg
    Monday: Stir-fry
    Tuesday: "Spanish" stew (chicken, chorizo, and butterbeans in a tomato sauce)
    Wednesday: Leftover Spanish stew
    Thursday: Caramelised pork bowls with rice and broccoli
    Friday: Fish, potatoes and veg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I do Thursday to Wednesday.

Sausages wedges and beans (older son request)
    Chicken casserole with mash
    Pizza & salad
    Pulled Tandori chicken thanks to Dial Hard
    Spag bol
    Home made burgers, corn on the cob
    Fajitas, guac, salsa

Im back to work next week so Ill have to come up with more dinners that I can cook ahead of time

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I always get a tesco delivery on Wednesdays, and so I've already eaten two dinners, which were

2 chicken burgers, 2 cauliflower veggie grills and tinned spaghetti
    beef burger with chips and sausages

and for the rest of the week I'll be having

lasagne, wedges, garlic bread
    2 garlic chicken kievs, carrots, peas
    2 garlic chicken kievs, wedges, garlic bread
    2 chicken burgers, carrots, peas, gravy
    pepperoni pizza

I guess I like garlic. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Finished work for the year - well, except for three days in a few weeks - so having to plan for lunch also

Dinners:
    Beef and stout stew tomorrow, will provide some for the freezer also
    Lamb koftas I did last week will be repeated, going to pre-make and freeze the uncooked koftas I think.
    Pizza Day x2 in a row - only sensible way to do it with only two of us, use up the toppings and tomato sauce
    Semi-genuine carbonara with some added mushrooms
    Takeaway is a given on at least one day, and/or a sit down restaurant on Friday if I can get a booking!

Lunches:
    Going to do blender tomato soup some day - sautee shallots, cook down with a tin of plum tomatoes, sugar, salt and water for ~45 mins and then blend with some olive oil and a slice of white pan to get a cream of tomato style texture.
    Will be doing a leek and potato soup also, loads of frozen leeks to use up
    Got parbake rolls, sauages/rashers and relish to do either (or probably both) of breakfast rolls and bacon rolls for various days.
    Chipper at the end of the road is a siren call when I'm off...

L1011 wrote: »
    Pizza Day x2 in a row - only sensible way to do it with only two of us, use up the toppings and tomato sauce

Just FYI, passata sauce, grated mozzarella and pepperoni slices all freeze pretty well! It's just the two of us here too, so that's what we do when we make homemade pizza. It's really handy not having to buy all of the ingredients each time.

If we have other bits of meat or veg etc leftover, I tend to just use them for sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Dinners for 2 adults

Homemade pizza
    Gnocchi lasagne x2
    Diana Henry Greek chicken with orzo
    Hoisin pork lettuce wraps
    Mexican hash

Should be plenty of leftovers for lunches and I’ll make a soup to fill the gaps. Probably Mediterranean vegetable

Next week:

Roast partridge (depending on how my shooting goes!!) with dauphinoise potatoes and winter veg
    Pizza - ooni again, have Caputo Nuvola flour to try out
    Crispy salmon with noodles and Asian veg
    Fish pie
    Brisket on the BBQ
    Risotto - likely pumpkin and chorizo
    The pulled tandoori chicken from this thread is getting given a try too

Saturday: Fish fingers, potatoes and peas
    Sunday: Chicken Drumsticks, new potatoes and cauliflour
    Monday: Steak & Kidney pie*

Tuesday: Slow cooker BBQ ribs, mash and sprouts.
    Wednesday: Pork fillet, baby potatoes and smoked chilli squash
    Thursday: Chicken curry (or sweet & sour, haven't decided yet)

*Tripled up the recipe which is currently bubbling away in my biggest saucepan (nicknamed the cauldron by OH) I'll cool it and freeze the mix in freezer bags so throwing a pie together with some ready made pastry for an easy dinner night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭PMBC

My wife is not feeling the best so I'm on duty this week, or at least Im going to try. I like to plan, at least the night before, but preferably for the next few days. My big problem is my wife and so are mostly critical of my style/quality. I like to and am good at planning and not not just dinners

Today - Spaghetti bolognaise; almost ready at this stage.
    Tuesday - Chicken, either curried with rice and pitta bread plus chutney or roasted with potatoes and brocolli + carrots mashed with sweet potatoes. Must take chicken from freezer now.
    Wednesday - Shepherds pie from freezer courtesy of Dunnes Stores as my family like and I wil beef it up with mashed potatoes, carrots and steamed brocolli.
    Thursday - hake for my wife and I with either mash or chips and peas and remains of spag bol for son who isnt into fish
    Friday- me oven chips and tinned salmon; wife and son will have chicken again either curried or roasted (depending on which we ate on Tuesday) .
    Saturday - stew with potatoes, carrots, onions and parsnips. I have to get the diced beef yet (so not like we used have 60 years ago with shin beef) and parsnips. This will be my first try at this at 68 years of age.

I enjoy doing it as Im out of work at the mo and I like to prep stuff first thing in the morning. Best of luck with the cooking you lot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Freezer food or leftovers all week. that includes leftover freezer food...
    Oh and expiring food... i've fresh pasta and pesto in the fridge needs eating.

Deadlines for college means no civillised eating for either of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just organizing the weeks grocery delivery. Between tuesday tomorrow and the tuesday after (inclusive), we'll be having

meat feast pizza
    cheese and ham pizza
    cottage pie, veg, and garlic bread x2
    chicken burgers, wedges or mash, and veg x2
    beef burgers, mash, and veg
    sausages, mash, and veg

We always double up on meals, don't want things to go to waste after all. And really just keeping things simple too.

Advertisement