Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Today I'm awaiting delivery of my first foray into the world of microbrands. Very hipster, I know. Quite exciting though. Something French for the weekend...

Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've been wearing this for the last week and still love it. Was it banie01 I bought it from?

It wasn't me, but well wear!
    I like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Put the 19mm blue leather strap Mick's_Address gave me on this Seiko quartz chrono.

549641.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

kostal2093 wrote: »
    Thanks to all for your comments. Yes - it is a guilloche dial - though it is difficult to capture the level of detail on the dial in a photo - it looks better in the hand with the way it captures the light. Even the rotor on the EP movement has a high level of finish. Considering the age of the watch and the amount of time it lay idle, I thought it would need to be sent for a service, but it has only lost <1 sec over the past 18 hours, which is encouraging. The only problem is trying to remove the blue plastic stickers from the case as they are 'welded on' due to age and only come off in tiny pieces. Definitely, there is serious 'bang for buck' with this model, though they are getting more difficult to get (many available are over polished). I can add extra pictures later of the movement and case if anyone is interested.

Spray with rubbing alcohol or any pure enough alcohol and leave it to soak should dissolve the glue and wont damage the watch in any way.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Spray with rubbing alcohol or any pure enough alcohol and leave it to soak should dissolve the glue and wont damage the watch in any way.

I was just about to suggest similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Thanks sincerely - will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

Put the 19mm blue leather strap Mick's_Address gave me on this Seiko quartz chrono.

The strap might be worth more than the seiko :)

I think I paid 150 dollars for it from house of straps horween leather

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

Not a match for some of the big hitters on here of late (PP, VC etc) but really like it.[/IMG]

Correct.

Not a match..............a lot of the VCs and Patek probably don’t fair well against it!

It really is lovely and would love to see a few more pictures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The only concern I'd have with alcohol is that it's significantly less viscous/thinner than water and might get past the seals. It wouldn't be the kindest to the seals either. I'd soak a rag with the alcohol and rub with that, rather than risk spraying/soaking the watch with it directly. I've heard of some recommending acetone, but avoid that stuff like the plague. It can discolour metals and will eat through any seals like a fecker.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just after getting delivery of a watch I had been chasing for ages. A Zenith El Primero Flyback Chronomaster (42mm) with moon phase. Despite being discontinued, I found this one (Chrono24) full set and brand new (with stickers) from a well known watch dealer in Italy that had been in their stock since 2008. Difficult to get the detail of the dial in a photo, but it is really nice in the flesh. Not a match for some of the big hitters on here of late (PP, VC etc) but really like it.
    Stunning watch, you'd never get tired look at that dial.

• Advertisement

The viscosity of alcohol (2 MPa-s)l is about twice that of water (0.9 MPa-s). It feels thinner to the touch due to the evaporative effect due to low boiling point and its decreased surface tension. The molecule is significantly bigger than water and stand no chance of getting into a waterproof watch. The seals should not be soluble in alcohol if they are rubber. While I would not submerge it in alcohol but it bears no risk to the seals of problems with ingress. Acetone will disolve a lot of rubbers and is too aggressive.

Screenshot-2021-04-09-113247.jpg

53102294.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The strap might be worth more than the seiko :)

I think I paid 150 dollars for it from house of straps horween leather

Yes, I think my SRPE053 Seiko 5 is probably a better choice.

549651.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The viscosity of alcohol (2 MPa-s)l is about twice that of water (0.9 MPa-s). It feels thinner to the touch due to the evaporative effect due to low boiling point and its decreased surface tension. The molecule is significantly bigger than water and stand no chance of getting into a waterproof watch.
    Most of the alcohol in over the counter stuff also contains methanol, which as your own graphic illustrates is less viscous than water. Methanol is also most certainly an issue with "rubber" seals. It has been an issue in the car industry with more of it being added to petrol and materials have had to be changed to accommodate it. I'd personally be careful in overdoing its application anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Wibbs wrote: »
    Most of the alcohol in over the counter stuff also contains methanol, which as your own graphic illustrates is less viscous than water. Methanol is also most certainly an issue with "rubber" seals. It has been an issue in the car industry with more of it being added to petrol and materials have had to be changed to accommodate it. I'd personally be careful in overdoing its application anyway.

A naggin of vodka - or gin if you want your watch to smell really nice - would do the trick. Together with the yellow side of a scouring pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

893bet wrote: »
    Correct.

Not a match..............a lot of the VCs and Patek probably don’t fair well against it!

It really is lovely and would love to see a few more pictures.

I would not be altogether sure about that! I have added a few pictures. They are not great due to the reflections but hopefully they give some idea of the watch. Thanks again.

Zenith_1.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

zenith_2.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

zenith_3.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

zenith_4.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

zenith_5.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

zenith_6.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

zenith_7.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

I suppose thats why I recommended pure alcohol (ethanol) or something like 95-99% IPA available in any chemist.

But just to be correct, the mixture of water and alcohol and Methanol is a non-ideal mixture, meaning the viscosity increases in a non linear fashion depending on percentage. Methanol water mixture is only less viscous than water above 90% Methanol. Methanol is bad for rubber no doubt.

IPA over the counter or rubbing alcohol contains no methanol as it poses some serious health risks. (I use a lot of IPA in work hence why I know all this ****). The thinner type of alcohol hand gel would do this job fine also. It would be very uncommon for over the counter alcohol to contain methanol as its an aggressive. solvent. There was a scandal where the HSE had bought crap hand gel that contained methanol ad had to be thrown out cause if was causing problems.

Yeah, the ones to avoid would be surgical spirit or methylated spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That Zenith is breath taking.
    The detail of the moon phase complication is great.

That's one of the only things I've never had, is a moon phase complication watch.

I've no lunatic tendencies, but t'would be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The fact that I sold my black bezel gmtc for more than what this cost still baffles me !

EED76165-9-AAD-4-BA5-A8-C7-D7210-CE96-DA5.jpg

The eagle has landed.

I wanted an everyday diver of some form, not more than 40mm, and yet not a Rolex homage and not to spend €€€. A bit of research threw up some interesting brands and watches, which I eventually whittled down to the Squale 1521 and the Baltic Aquascaphe (I'm not even sure how to pronounce that). The Baltic won out.

It's nice, very nice. I got the fauxtina black and cream version as I already have enough black and white dials. The milanese bracelet (edit: actually, it's a beads of rice bracelet) has already torn 50 hairs from my wrist, but it looks good and the tropic strap is comfortable. Both have quick release springbars which is something that should be compulsory on every watch. Good, crisp turning on the bezel. I've not tried the lume out yet but amn't holding out much hope on that front.

YmIMHME.jpg

CsJNLKq.jpg

VWKfBzQ.jpg

KFVl8RO.jpg

C9uxd9r.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice. Has very much the feel of the original of the species, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

Nice. Has very much the feel of the original of the species, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

Very much so. The 39mm works well and is probably more in keeping with the vintage vibe as well.

549689.jpg

Courtesy of a horse that came in recently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I have three. An old Citizen eco-drive chrono that I wear at work. And, like me, it's showing it's age. The second hand doesn't work any more, and I can't adjust the time. Therefore, it's currently an hour slow after the clocks changing. I also have these two for "non-work" wear....

wsbKZPS.jpg

and

OIXG2re.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

athlone573 that Pelagos is lovely, don't tend to see many around these parts.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Courtesy of a horse that came in recently

Is that an LHD?
    A fairly rare bird, I don't think I've ever seen one locally.

Happy Friday, everybody.

This beads of rice bracelet (not particularly attractive) is mega-comfortable. I know some of you don't appreciate my love of The Bund, so I'm going to put it on that tomorrow ... :-)

MzpgQ3L.jpg

banie01 wrote: »
    Is that an LHD?
    A fairly rare bird, I don't think I've ever seen one locally.

Yep and worn on the left wrist. So the crown is less annoying.
    I'm still not sure what to make of the "antique" lume, it glows pale blue in the dark. In some ways I prefer the Seiko which is a bit more"in your face ".

athlone573 wrote: »
    Yep and worn on the left wrist. So the crown is less annoying.
    I'm still not sure what to make of the "antique" lume, it glows pale blue in the dark. In some ways I prefer the Seiko which is a bit more"in your face ".

I have it's more traditional brother ;)
    I quite like the lume but they are a lovely watch IMO.
    Fantastic bracelet and clasp with a really legible dial and hands.
    Mine has a few bezel dings and has seen a bit of life but they are a great watch IMO.

Recently traded my Superocean and cash for the one I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

@ fulladapipes

That’s a beaut. Where did you get it.

Advertisement