Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Congrats! I know you have been eyeing up a luxury watch for a while, so Im sure it feels good to get it on the wrist!

Great choice, I do like the Aqua Terras. Does that mean the rest of you collection will live in the watch box for a while?! :D

I definitely need to slim down the collection. There's about three or four watches I still intend to rotate, Stowa, Hamilton....,but there's also a few that should be sold or given away.

BTW the jewellers have been back to me and hopefully I will have the Aqua Terra bracelet sized up by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I definitely need to slim down the collection. There's about three or four watches I still intend to rotate, Stowa, Hamilton....,but there's also a few that should be sold or given away.

BTW the jewellers have been back to me and hopefully I will have the Aqua Terra bracelet sized up by the weekend.

Well wear CT, a classy piece and one I hope you wear in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Thanks!
    Steinhart Ocean One (42mm aluminium bezel)
    Really happy with it.
    Yeah I like them...wearing my green one at the moment :)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

OMG-ega Aqua Terra.

Need to take a couple of links out of the bracelet but the screws are tight and don't want to do a Jennie Ellie on it, so been trying to contact Duggan's in Fairview to get him to do it. So far no luck.

Have the same watch. The screws are glued in. Usually with something like LOCTITE 243. The glue is being destroyed by heating it. Meaning you get a little blow torch and heat the screws up and then they come out. You need to get the same glue for putting them back in or you will lose them.

Edit:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Hairdryer may generate enough heat to loosen.

• Advertisement

Have the same watch. The screws are glued in.

Thanks handy to know.

I've arranged to get a professional to do it but good to know for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Have the same watch. The screws are glued in. Usually with something like LOCTITE 243. The glue is being destroyed by heating it. Meaning you get a little blow torch and heat the screws up and then they come out. You need to get the same glue for putting them back in or you will lose them.

It's why I prefer pin and collar to screwed bracelets (never had a pin threaten to pop out but had that issues with screws) - but alas the market wants what it wants :P - Equinox will be a screwed link bracelet despite myself personally preferring P&C ($5 hammer and holder set from Aliexpress will do the job grand…)

Well wear CT - AT is a very dressy do-it-all watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It's why I prefer pin and collar to screwed bracelets (never had a pin threaten to pop out but had that issues with screws) - but alas the market wants what it wants :P - Equinox will be a screwed link bracelet despite myself personally preferring P&C ($5 hammer and holder set from Aliexpress will do the job grand…)

Well wear CT - AT is a very dressy do-it-all watch :)

The integrated screw pins are the best of both worlds, very easy to remove and very solid when in place.

p68f-rolex-screw-link-pins-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Yeah I like them...wearing my green one at the moment :)

And I've my Ocean One Titanium 500 on this morning

peUIKD4l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

My Grandfathers old watch. An Indur Delux, which I believe were made in Dublin. Have no idea how old it is.

It always hung on a hook in the kitchen. Glass was gone, mechanics/movement siezed. When he moved house in the late 80s early 90s it moved too. To hang on a hook in the kitchen again. After he died I claimed it & got it reconditioned.

Had to bring it to the watch making school in Pforzheim for a new movement. One of the students there was able to sort it out for a case of beer. ðŸ»ðŸ» I like their pricing system

One of these days I'll get a strap thats long enough for my wrist. Small crack on the glass near the 1 which also needs to be seen to.

Since it came back to life, it has mostly been worn for special occasions. Namely Waterford hurling matches. It missed the Munster Final last year because the house is like a bombsite with 3 boys in it!

Anyway thats todays timepiece

549537.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Ian OB wrote: »
    My Grandfathers old watch. An Indur Delux, which I believe were made in Dublin. Have no idea how old it is.

It always hung on a hook in the kitchen. Glass was gone, mechanics/movement siezed. When he moved house in the late 80s early 90s it moved too. To hang on a hook in the kitchen again. After he died I claimed it & got it reconditioned.

Had to bring it to the watch making school in Pforzheim for a new movement. One of the students there was able to sort it out for a case of beer. ðŸ»ðŸ» I like their pricing system

One of these days I'll get a strap thats long enough for my wrist. Small crack on the glass near the 1 which also needs to be seen to.

Since it came back to life, it has mostly been worn for special occasions. Namely Waterford hurling matches. It missed the Munster Final last year because the house is like a bombsite with 3 boys in it!

Anyway thats todays timepiece

I was given an INDUR watch for my 18th by my parents.
    I wore it for years. Still have it but quartz movement is dead.

Must see if I can get something else to go into it.

Brought my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra to Damian Duggan in Fairview and he had the bracelet sized and ready in an hour and a half.
    I told him about the talk on the internet about glued screws and he was not amused. He said they shouldn't be and mine weren't as it turned out. He inserted the spare half link and removed two full links. It's really comfortable and fits perfectly.

549547.jpg

549548.jpg

Messing with bracelet styles myself at the moment.

Engineer type on the Mark II:
    nooAsa.jpg

Mmm, chunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah I resized before and there was no glue. Looks great. Did you try it on a strap? I just always really enjoyed it on bracelet so never bothered

Yeah I resized before and there was no glue. Looks great. Did you try it on a strap? I just always really enjoyed it on bracelet so never bothered

No, think I will keep it on the bracelet. Will probably try the 19mm strap you gave me on one of my other watches with 20mms lugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Brought my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra to Damian Duggan in Fairview and he had the bracelet sized and ready in an hour and a half.

What's the craic there in terms of contacting them or making an appointment? I presume they're not open for walk-ins?

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's the craic there in terms of contacting them or making an appointment? I presume they're not open for walk-ins?

I rang and left a message as well as sending an email. He rang back the following day (Wednesday) to say he'd be in Thursday and Friday between 10.30 and some time in the afternoon, can't remember exactly. He opens the shutter half way and you step under to ring the bell.
    Edit: I don't know about 'walk-ins' I imagine he's only open for service repairs and is complying with Covid regs. Handy for me because I live about 5 mins cycle away.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Seiko Recraft SNKP27. Love it.

549563.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭Homer

Probably get more comments on this than any of my other watches. Pretty sure it’s the dial that reflects light and the blue really pops. On a cheap quick release “Barton style” strap.
    Seiko save the ocean turtle

C0-B7102-C-6545-4-F5-F-8-FB0-A73-DB3-BBCA5-C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I told him about the talk on the internet about glued screws and he was not amused. He said they shouldn't be and mine weren't as it turned out. He inserted the spare half link and removed two full links. It's really comfortable and fits perfectly.

Nice watch, well wear.

My bracelet needed heat when I made it wider and there was old glue in the threads that I cleaned out. Its not 'cement' glue or anything, its a threadlocker glue and its quite common in such scenarios is my understanding.

• Advertisement

I never saw glue in any of my Omegas they do coat the screw with graphite to increase the friction, usually a hard to turn screw is a sign of a blunt screwdriver or that somebody has attacked the screw before with a blunt screwdriver. Any glue in there is aftermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Just after getting delivery of a watch I had been chasing for ages. A Zenith El Primero Flyback Chronomaster (42mm) with moon phase. Despite being discontinued, I found this one (Chrono24) full set and brand new (with stickers) from a well known watch dealer in Italy that had been in their stock since 2008. Difficult to get the detail of the dial in a photo, but it is really nice in the flesh. Not a match for some of the big hitters on here of late (PP, VC etc) but really like it.

549588.jpg

kostal2093 wrote: »
    A Zenith El Primero Flyback Chronomaster (42mm) with moon phase.

The engine work on the Dial and subdials is really nice. Zenith is totally underrated and under appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

That Sir, is quite simply stunning. Well wear.

That is a stunner!

Well wear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ahh a flyback, you can't go wrong. :) And it's a chronometer with month, day and date windows and a feckin moonphase, on a dial like that? Ah here. :eek: Niiiiice :) That must be the watch with the most complications on here?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Fitz II wrote: »
    I never saw glue in any of my Omegas they do coat the screw with graphite to increase the friction, usually a hard to turn screw is a sign of a blunt screwdriver or that somebody has attacked the screw before with a blunt screwdriver. Any glue in there is aftermarket.

Damian Duggan said you wouldn't get it on a new Omega bracelet ( "from the manufacturer"). I suppose it's possible that some service persons or owners do use glue occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

Is that dial guilloche? I didn't know Zenith did that. Its beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

549635.jpg

I've been wearing this for the last week and still love it. Was it banie01 I bought it from?

Edit: Seems it wasn't banie01, I'm going to guess so that it was Birneybau I bought it from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Thanks to all for your comments. Yes - it is a guilloche dial - though it is difficult to capture the level of detail on the dial in a photo - it looks better in the hand with the way it captures the light. Even the rotor on the EP movement has a high level of finish. Considering the age of the watch and the amount of time it lay idle, I thought it would need to be sent for a service, but it has only lost <1 sec over the past 18 hours, which is encouraging. The only problem is trying to remove the blue plastic stickers from the case as they are 'welded on' due to age and only come off in tiny pieces. Definitely, there is serious 'bang for buck' with this model, though they are getting more difficult to get (many available are over polished). I can add extra pictures later of the movement and case if anyone is interested.

Advertisement