Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

mad m wrote: »
    @ fulladapipes

That’s a beaut. Where did you get it.

Bought direct from Baltic in France on Wednesday night (beer involved). Landed today. Really efficient and well tracked service. Mine is the black and cream version. There's black and white, and navy and cream as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Cyrus wrote: »
    The fact that I sold my black bezel gmtc for more than what this cost still baffles me !
    That's a lovely watch. But Christ; I just did a quick Google. Unless my six numbers come up, I won't be buying one of them. Couldn't find that particular watch, but prices more regularly than not on the far side of 20k.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The fact that I sold my black bezel gmtc for more than what this cost still baffles me !

It makes no sense, best not to even think about it. After having had a good look at Fitz’s ALS (and his Overseas previously) and knowing what he paid for it, you’d wonder why anyone would buy a GMT2 or hulk for similar money. Night and day stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

blueser wrote: »
    That's a lovely watch. But Christ; I just did a quick Google. Unless my six numbers come up, I won't be buying one of them. Couldn't find that particular watch, but prices more regularly than not on the far side of 20k.
    :eek:

Thanks ! 20k that’s the current model my one is the previous model they tend to go for between 10 and 11.5k give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Thanks ! 20k that’s the current model my one is the previous model they tend to go for between 10 and 11.5k give or take.
    Is that all? Oh well; in that case, I'll have one after all!
    :P

• Advertisement

The new Baltic got its first public outing today. There's a real vintage vibe off the watch, from the size (39mm) to the fautina hands and indices and the bracelet.

It all hangs together design-wise though.

iyUDX2r.jpg

Xk2MHiA.jpg

JBwU6aJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

double denim...thumbs up, the DJ is terrific. That Baltic would not do it for me. Its harkening to a vintage look you already have in the DJ with a lot more class.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

The datejust isn't a tool watch in the same sense as the Baltic, definitely room for both in a collection. Personally i really like it, and Baltic are probably the only microbrand (apart from our own homegrown hero) that i'd have any affinity for. I wanted one of the salmon dial collabs they did with Worn and Wound, but they were limited to 100 pieces.

Baltic-X-WW_GROUP1_crop.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They very reminiscent of 30/40's Longines, especially the double step case design. The one on the right is very much like the Longines Flyback chronos of that period, that even our very own Fitz(vintage? Eh...no) liked the look of. :D

549797.jpeg
    Swap out the dial and voila, the same watch. Though for my money the original case has the better proportion of step to it. Less "hang on, did the rotating bezel fall off?" Then again the original is 40+ grand so...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The word reminiscent can be used a lot with those Baltics...too much. JLC, Blancpain and Patek must be very flattered.

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    double denim...thumbs up, the DJ is terrific. That Baltic would not do it for me. Its harkening to a vintage look you already have in the DJ with a lot more class.

It's no Datejust, that is for certain. Whereas the looks are subjective, when you pick up the Baltic you can feel that some of the machining is a bit rough, especially around the edge where you open the clasp. The winding mechanism is also not the smoothest. The Datejust is in a different league, and price bracket.

It's also increasing difficult to find a watch that isn't some sort of copy of another one (especially Rolex). There seems to have been a creativity peak in the middle of the last century that many brands are still living off.

MzpgQ3L.jpg

One of the things I liked about the Datejust, and was very wary of before I bought it, was the 36mm size, but it has really grown on me. It was interesting then to see them release a new Explorer in 36mm.

JkY5uiD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

549893.jpg

The correct sized Barton strap finally arrived. I had previously ordered one which was slightly too small and thus wouldn't fit. I did my first ever strap change today (the embarrassment I know) and was surprised at just how laughably easy it was. I hadn't worn this boyo in an age as the strap that was fitted was partially broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Remember folks... use the code SPARROWCAR10 for 10% off Barton bands

:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The correct sized Barton strap finally arrived. I had previously ordered one which was slightly too small and thus wouldn't fit. I did my first ever strap change today (the embarrassment I know) and was surprised at just how laughably easy it was. I hadn't worn this boyo in an age as the strap that was fitted was partially broken.

Never changed a strap myself apart from a nato.

Yeah, I sold you that Orient Mako that you posted the other day, glad to see it still being worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Here is my own new microbrand acquisition - the Raven Deep Tech.

bgMDb4tl.jpg

8rKm1yKl.jpg

One of 100 made in a production run in 2020. It is a serious chunk of metal, 17mm thick and waterproof to 2500 meters (which I definitely need for the occasional snorkeling I do in the summer!). Raven have a bit of a cult following and these sold out very quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's an interesting mix of diver influences alright. I see Seiko dial, 70's Squale/Certina/Longines diver hands, Rolex with a touch of 70/80's case around the crown guard and Blancpain bezel. If someone was to conjour up "Diver" they pretty much nailed it there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Vostok Amphibia 'Zissou' 420374.
    Cheap as chips and the finish matches the price ... but it's a functional beater and a little bit of fun.

549930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Received a new 1.35v battery for this little beaut this morning.
    So as I had the toolkit out to open the battery case.
    I thought that I may aswell pop the bezel and give the crystal a polish and clean the bezel and the retaining ring.
    Also put it back on to the Kreisler.
    Must say very pleased with the result.
    The crystal was suffering from a little haziness that elbow grease and a little supercut sorted right out :D

IMG-20210412-194609.jpg
    MVIMG-20210412-195000.jpg
    MVIMG-20210412-195009.jpg
    IMG-20210412-195228.jpg

I'm drooling here Banie. :)

RMDrive wrote: »
    Cheap as chips and the finish matches the price ... but it's a functional beater and a little bit of fun.
    That they are. What really lets them down and always has since the 1970's are the bracelets. Upgrade that and they wear more "expensive".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I finally had this show up this afternoon. I'm smitten.

IMG-20210412-201909.jpg

A few small marks on the side of the case that will come out with a cape cod cloth in almost no time. The bracelet was never even worn.

Shipped from Canada to Ireland in 2 days. Sat somewhere for 11 days before An Post scanned it. It went from received to sorted in about 7 minutes so I think An Post had it the whole time. After being sorted, it then sat sorted in their delivery centre for another 7 days. Impressively crap delivery time within Ireland.

Didn't get caught for customs / VAT on it which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think Jodie on JOMW put it well when explaining how to buy a vostok. "Go to meranom.com and pick the one you dislike the least" :pac:

Love me a vostok though, great being able to buy a cool automatic with a good story behind it for €70

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

IMG-20210413-103640.jpg

Only realised now that my phone cam had a "macro" setting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That strap is a right (and left) arm hair puller. I gave one away here, bought another on orange rubber strap, gave it to a friend's kid. Might buy another some day!

Birneybau wrote: »
    That strap is a right (and left) arm hair puller. I gave one away here, bought another on orange rubber strap, gave it to a friend's kid. Might buy another some day!

Yeah as Wibbs said, the bracelets are absolutely terrible. Funny enough I've never noticed the arm hair pulling - maybe cheap bracelets have gotten rid of them all at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Birneybau wrote: »
    I gave one away here, bought another on orange rubber strap...

It still gets worn regularly, but the strap is long gone!

OGdSNC0l.jpg

In other watch news, I took the Raven Deep Tech off the rubber strap that it was shipped with and put it onto the steel bracelet, which make it wear a lot better in my opinion. It doesn't feel as big as before (but it is still a big watch!)

Lx03JMOl.jpeg

Junghans Max Bill 027/4700.00
    Glad the date has a 4 in it ... love the font used for it.

550105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    It still gets worn regularly, but the strap is long gone!

You might be interested in the latest Just One More Watch video on the Zissou Vostok.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0te448J3tnM

I am going to get a vostock to see why people buy them, as far as I can make out they have no appealing attributes....better to speak from experiance than ignorance. What one should I get and from where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »
    I am going to get a vostock to see why people buy them, as far as I can make out they have no appealing attributes....better to speak from experiance than ignorance. What one should I get and from where.

all in the interests of science :D

you know what archie would say

Advertisement