Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

@dakar
    beautifull. well wear.
    would be a terrible shame to leave it inside a dog you just spayed lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭dakar

@dakar
    beautifull. well wear.
    would be a terrible shame to leave it inside a dog you just spayed lol....

A watchdog, you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

dakar wrote: »
    A watchdog, you mean?

Just treat it for ticks it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Seiko Presage Cocktail Time SSA343J1. Sunburst dial and a pop of blue.

548858.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

- Someone posted a decently priced orange Samurai on boards and sure it’d be silly not to...

I love that watch, if I had seen the ad myself I would have been all over it!

Enjoy :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

- Someone posted a decently priced orange Samurai on boards

Looks great! I must have missed that otherwise I'd have snapped it up :D

Any link to the ad / was it posted in the for sale sticky on this forum?

Would love another orange watch myself and if a Doxa professional is not in budget, it will surely have to be some sort of Seiko diver. I too have a 22mm orange Isofrane style Borealis rubber strap waiting for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The sheer number of watches that cater to all the budding Jacques Cousteaus out there is mind boogling. I had no idea.

I always smirk when I see 3. 4 or 5 ATM...yeah because I regularly dive that deep...:D

unkel wrote: »

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    I love that watch, if I had seen the ad myself I would have been all over it!

Enjoy :-)

Your wish etc etc...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788THC7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

€377 delivered including all relevant taxes.

Your wish etc etc...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788THC7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

€377 delivered including all relevant taxes.

Great, is that the normal price on the US Amazon? I just bought myself something new today so that would have to be put on the "to do" list for at least a month while I review my SOTC plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The sheer number of watches that cater to all the budding Jacques Cousteaus out there is mind boogling. I had no idea.

I always smirk when I see 3. 4 or 5 ATM...yeah because I regularly dive that deep...:D

I have been to about 4.5 ATM a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've never even breached 5atm.
    I've about 360hrs logged diving and the deepest I've been is @3atm.

There are divers who need the 100/200 ATM watches.
    But 99% of those who do dive, do it recreationally and the bells and whistles are great but overspecced.

That said, my promaster will tell me water temp, depth and ascent/descent rates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭saccades

unkel wrote: »

Would love another orange watch myself and if a Doxa professional is not in budget, it will surely have to be some sort of Seiko diver. I too have a 22mm orange Isofrane style Borealis rubber strap waiting for it :D

Sharkey orange monster at 170 delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for the suggestion, I've done the low end homages. Don't think I'll go back to them. Minimum now is a Seiko diver, I've turned into such a snob :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have to confess to something similar.

I've done PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water licenses, but have never gone much beyond 30m or 3atms.

I was using a 200m rated watch, as I had been warned that anything less would not survive.

However, I still want to think that my SKX009, with the PADI stamp on the back would perform as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I have to confess to something similar.

I've done PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water licenses, but have never gone much beyond 30m or 3atms.

I was using a 200m rated watch, as I had been warned that anything less would not survive.

However, I still want to think that my SKX009, with the PADI stamp on the back would perform as described.

A casio f91w with its 3atm would most likely survive (but it's not a diver so why would you want to take it down there - is the question)...

Some scuba equipment (key to life equipment like regulators) are just rated for 50m wr (different rating standard compared to iso 22810 or iso 6425).

I can understand why no watch company would give a warranty for water ingress (I'm sure even for 1000m wr watches) because of the potential of user error. But I'd really love to do a 50m diver someday :D and give some kind of finely legally crafted warranty to actual divers (maybe requiring them to have PADI AOW or equivalent licence would remove a lot of potential for end-user error) - and watch the fireworks from watch people who can't imagine a 50m wr watch being used for diving…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Off topic but I am open water certified also and would struggle in the deep end of the pool. And would definitely not bring any watch, no matter if rated to 6000 m swimming.

There is nothing to be gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calculator123

893bet wrote: »
    Off topic but I am open water certified also and would struggle in the deep end of the pool. And would definitely not bring any watch, no matter if rated to 6000 m swimming.

There is nothing to be gained.

I've always wondered about this. How many do actually use a diver's watch for diving in modern times. Is it simply an over engineered statement piece of jewellery. Which is fine and I do see the appeal. Same applies for many gadgets and can be very cool or interesting.

Like you, I did a lot of diving - in college. I don't recall anyone using a watch. It was universally dive computers. Also very expensive but had extensive functionality.

I've always wondered about this. How many do actually use a diver's watch for diving in modern times.

When I learned to dive in the early noughties, dive computers were common enough but still relatively expensive.
    There might be one or two computers on a boat, versus now when it would be common for everybody to have one.

I learned to dive with reference to my analogue dials and while I do use a suunto now when I dive, the comfort of knowing that I can still do it the "proper" way if needed is reassuring.

Dive Computers make diving so much easier, make the full utilisation of a tank and of ensuring safest NDC limits are brilliant.
    It also makes logging so much simpler.
    But!
    Watches are sexier ;) :pac:

548986.jpeg

Mmm... lumey...

Lazy Friday!

R6Panvbl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

banie01 wrote: »
    When I learned to dive in the early noughties, dive computers were common enough but still relatively expensive.
    There might be one or two computers on a boat, versus now when it would be common for everybody to have one.

I learned to dive with reference to my analogue dials and while I do use a suunto now when I dive, the comfort of knowing that I can still do it the "proper" way if needed is reassuring.

Dive Computers make diving so much easier, make the full utilisation of a tank and of ensuring safest NDC limits are brilliant.
    It also makes logging so much simpler.
    But!
    Watches are sexier ;) :pac:

Yeah, exactly this.
    Did first licence in Borneo, and weren't given anything, so my own watch with a rotating bezel was useful. Couple of years later, did the next one in Egypt and was supplied with a dive computer that looked like a cast off from Dan Dare!

I'll never forget walking about 50m to get into a deep shaft that went down about 12m before opening out to the sea. The dive computer said 43c air temp. The water was 25c. It felt like diving into an ice bath!

We did a multi level dive, descending to 30m and then swimming along the near vertical wall of coral, with no visible bottom. Your bubbles where the only thing giving you a level reference. It was exhilarating!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What's on my wrist these days:

oUJHdbAh.jpg

F2k5wWah.jpg

...not great for timekeeping to be fair...BUT - it does put forth my point about why 100m WR is good for divers too:
    1. has (will have) double sapphire front and back;
    2. 0.8mm of extra thickness from malachite/onyx;
    3. thick applied indices;

...and fits absolutely fine under the cuffs of shirts vs 14/15mm monsters (11.4mm height).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Interesting.

I think the best natural material for a watch would be nephrite - aka Jade. While diamond is the hardest mineral, jade is the toughest, which means it is structurally strong and resists breaking or chipping more than any other mineral. It's so tough it's been used for tools such as hammers. The Maoris made various instruments from it for caving in opponents skulls. True overkill.

South Australia has a deposit of black jade, which I think would be a cool material to make a watch from. I have a few Kg of it:

9B3tKsPG_o.jpg

v0p2rPWH_o.jpg

Jade is usually thought of as being green, with that type getting it's colour from iron oxide traces. In typical Australian fashion, it's black Jade is actually green but has so much iron oxide it looks black, but get it thin enough to shine light through and you can see it - as in the small chip above.

Jade can take on a pretty good polish so black jade could look not unlike a black ceramic, though it would be far stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

MkCMNc6.jpg

Something a little bit different for myself which I picked up recently, along with a couple of examples of Citizen electronic watches. A Seiko EL-370 from 1971 (I think). A nice little watch, it was in great nick for a 50 year old example, and it didnt cost a whole lot either. Plus I liked the 70's styling in contrast to my usual choices....

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Lazy Friday!

Completely OT, but what type trainers are they? I have a thing for coloured ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cassius99 wrote: »
    Something a little bit different for myself which I picked up recently, along with a couple of examples of Citizen electronic watches..
    Ohh do show and tell. I do like me the early days of electronic. :) Like you note they can be mad cheap and were very much not cheap when new. Which means you tend to get really high quality cases, dials and hands for feck all.
    Fitz II wrote: »
    Today I am mostly being a fancy bastard.
    That still resonates F. Gorgeous watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I won’t tease for too long. Only an empty case!

One is the 38.5mm that houses the in-house Quintas calibre.

The other the 40mm that houses that jumped up Unitas.

They are supposed to be the same thickness but the 38.5mm is a smidgen thicker. 40mm seems better balanced.

Contrast this service to Rolex (as an example). You have no opportunity to try on a watch them vs being sent empty cases to allow proper assessment.

0-DF0320-C-E377-4650-8-B80-4-E7347-E00-C6-D.jpg

75-F06076-412-A-4461-A419-AD7-EA40-F8094.jpg

A57-B423-B-D576-4-F74-BFCD-D5895-A1443-F6.jpg

893bet wrote: »
    I won’t tease for too long. Only an empty case!

One is the 38.5mm that houses the in-house Quintas calibre.

The other the 40mm that houses that jumped up Unitas.

They are supposed to be the same thickness but the 38.5mm is a smidgen thicker. 40mm seems better balanced.

Contrast this service to Rolex (as an example). You have no opportunity to try on a watch them vs being sent empty cases to allow proper assessment.

Would agree with you on both the 40mm being a better balanced case, and in particular with the level of service offered by Dörnblüth!

Sending cases out for a little try is a really nice touch, especially considering their pricing for custom pieces starts at Rolex retail iirc?
    Unobtainium versus exactly what you want, delivered with German efficiency?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

RMDrive wrote: »
    Seiko Presage Cocktail Time SSA343J1. Sunburst dial and a pop of blue.

They're one of seikos best power reserve indicators, they don't ruin the look of the dial imho

Advertisement