Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Bumped into some dodgy character from around these parts earlier. Both of us rocking our 40mm German metal. Admittedly his being a bit more Karl Lagerfeld, mine a bit more Karl Marx.

32-C95-D82-908-F-41-EE-8-B75-2-D8592-A5-F4-C9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

The Germans tried taking over the world through war in the early and mid 20th century. Then they tried economics in the late 20th and early 21st century.

Now they are going to do though watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Time wrote: »
    Completely OT, but what type trainers are they? I have a thing for coloured ones.

Adidas Retro Run

https://images.sportsdirect.com/images/products/12305301_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Mein Stowa.

549100.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And as it happens this very day and as we speak; Mein Wagner.

549101.jpg

Subsecond complication *twitches*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

That certainly looks like it has a story to tell Wibbs

3YhD.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

An issued paratrooper's watch that doesn't have shockproofing. They must have had fierce confidence in their parachutes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs wrote: »
    An issued paratrooper's watch that doesn't have shockproofing. They must have had fierce confidence in their parachutes.

Well they are pretty much an "if it works" proposition.
    Cause if it doesn't...
    Well the watch still running is the least of your worries ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Enjoying the evening sun in the garden with a book. And the Milguass.

IMG-20210403-173804-edit-1004743280557103.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

banie01 wrote: »
    Well they are pretty much an "if it works" proposition.
    Cause if it doesn't...
    Well the watch still running is the least of your worries ;) :P
    At least they'd know time of death anyways :P

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement

At least they'd know time of death anyways :P

Now that's just another example of German precision ;)
    Saves time filling out the death cert :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Happy Easter :)

urPJ71Y.jpg

Khaki Field on leather.

549189.jpg

Imagine what some who knows how to take a picture could do! Could be in the shop window soon!

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01657.jpg

DSC01674.jpg

DSC01678.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

893bet wrote: »
    Imagine what some who knows how to take a picture could do! Could be in the shop window soon!

giphy.gif

Those Overseas with the blue dial are as rare a rocking horse poo and a bargain for a holy trinity watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@893bet What size is the VC?

Is that the 36mm odd one or the 37mm?

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @893bet What size is the VC?

Is that the 36mm odd one or the 37mm?

37mm but wears a little larger than that due to integrated bracelet.

https://youtu.be/DZLOMU3lU7g

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Also getting a serious goo for steinhart at the moment, will have to add one to the collection this year methinks....

The goo has been sated.
    V happy.

549380.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Lovely watch barney!

What model is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Lovely watch barney!
    What model is it

Thanks!
    Steinhart Ocean One (42mm aluminium bezel)
    Really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Thanks!
    Steinhart Ocean One (42mm aluminium bezel)
    Really happy with it.

Hope to add a 39 to my collection soon

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I had to put some manners on my straps as I was keeping everything watch-related in one stuffed A4 padded envelope. A trip to Woodies ensued.

m8b5pIc.jpg

OMG-ega Aqua Terra.

Need to take a couple of links out of the bracelet but the screws are tight and don't want to do a Jennie Ellie on it, so been trying to contact Duggan's in Fairview to get him to do it. So far no luck.

549449.JPG

A few weeks ago on the sales thread our own Cyclingtourist offered up gratis a Vostok that was working very erratically.

546339.JPG

I always had a hankering for a Scuba Dude so I put myself forward and CT very graciously fired it off in the post. First things first was to get the back off.

549443.jpg

The obvious lack of a screw holding the rotor down down was my first clue. It took me a while to cop it tbh. :o It explained CT's experience of it running OK when left on a flat surface, but not running well when worn. The problem was the screw had gone under the rotor and had of course come in contact with the balance and hairspring and fecked it. Not good. So even with the screw returned to its rightful place it was still all over the place. +/- minutes per hour. So I went to the interwebs and sourced another movement(Ukraine). While I was waiting for that I noticed the hands were also binding slightly. Whoever had it before CT must have given it some whack as these Vostoks are built like tanks and beat up Seikos for their lunch money. I had always preferred the original first series Vostok "Paddle" hands design so I ordered a set of them while I was at it(USofA). I cleaned the gunk from the case and under the bezel and polished the crystal.

So then I set to work with replacing the balance bridge/spring and hands and doing some fettling with regulation and oiling. I had a 22mm 1970's vintage Perlon strap which suited it.

Four days ago:
    549444.jpg

Today:
    549445.jpg

It's lost 5 seconds over four days so not too bad. I could try and feck about more, but I don't have the timing equipment, nor skill to take it further and I probably lucked out anyway. :) It'll be interesting to see how stable it actually is. So here it is, a working again Scuba Dude with paddle hands.

549446.jpg

The lume isn't bad actually. Lasts a few hours anyway. Much prefer the new hands myself. The seconds hand on Vostoks is a little too short for my eye so I'm keeping a look out for a longer one. I dunno why they fit a short one as standard? I had toyed with the idea of putting the movement into an 80's Amphibia case I have as these watches are all built around the same standard measurements so great for customising(the auto movement is thicker, so they just put a deeper "bubbleback" caseback on them). Sadly the older case was about as water resistant as a teabag so...

Great to see my Scuba Dude has found a new owner with the skill and contacts to bring it back to proper working order again.

Not sure I agree on the hands Wibbs, to me the new ones are rather too big, I prefer the originals.

Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

OMG-ega Aqua Terra.

Congrats! I know you have been eyeing up a luxury watch for a while, so Im sure it feels good to get it on the wrist!

Great choice, I do like the Aqua Terras. Does that mean the rest of you collection will live in the watch box for a while?! :D

@Wibbs: great work!

My two Russians are with Poljot24 at the moment, one to be revived and one to be sold on with a service.

I need to reduce the herd!

It is great that for Poljots and Vostoks, there is not just an endless knowledge out there, but also an endless supply of NOS parts :)

Messing about with straps and bracelets again, and put these on side by side.
    Zf2HAH.jpg

I thought as soon as I got one, I'd get rid of the other, but I'm actually kind of attached to it now.

So, the Speedie will be keeping the homage as its stablemate.

Both ticking along nicely.

• Advertisement

Congrats on the AT Cyclingtourist they are a very nice watch. I hope you get lot of good wear out of it.

Advertisement