Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

Sekonda 1590. Took it off the bracelet & put it on nato. Not overly happy, will try it on a leather strap next. Due to bone idle laziness, this mightn't happen for a few weeks :)

Aha, here's the pic

548223.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hashbones

opinion on new model omega constellation watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭redlead

hashbones wrote: »

I don't know. They kind of have Chinese Market written all over them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

hashbones wrote: »

Not my cup of tea at all.

Mind you, I think the Globemaster falls under the Constellation banner and I quite like the blue face 39mm steel model of that.

I think that Omega are a bit like BMW at the moment, technically good but a lot of dodgy design and they just seem a bit directionless and left behind.

As said above, I think they're looking east so are unlikely to care too much about my wallet staying in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Fitz II

So the quest for the perfect collection continues. Have been a great admirer of A. Lange & Söhne from Watchfinder videos and seeing 836Bets 1815 up/down. I have seen prices escalate in the past while and decided to pull the trigger, after seeing several watches on my want list slip beyond my spending limits due to the market madness at the moment. My Vacheron is in a superposition of sold and not sold at the moment.

So A. Lange & Söhne 1815. Rose gold. New, unworn 40mm version (and wears big enough...amazing how my 40mm watches all wear totally different). Manual wind. This is the basic 1815 without complication (except and running seconds). The finish on this watch is just perfection and its a masterclass in restraint, minimalist design and symmetry . Although the back of the watch is very bling and flamboyant. Some weight in it for a strap watch.

But again ALS as with most of the High Horology brands.....no deployant.

PXL-20210326-165115867.jpg

PXL-20210326-165144393.jpg

PXL-20210326-165330798.jpg

PXL-20210326-165520484.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

f*ck me, that's beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭893bet

Absolutely stunning! And it has the small seconds complications as Nico would say...!

As you know I chased one of these locally for a while. ALS are the definition of elegance and the 1815 are the best range IMHO. A stainless steel Rolex or one of these (very different watches obviously)....easy choice. If it’s possible for a watch that costs 5 figures to be value for money then that’s what ALS are.

The last 12 months has been a whirlwind for your collection. It has been enjoyable to watch (ba dum tsh).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now that's class and a half F. The three quarter plate movement, the hand engraving. screwed chaton jewels, blue screws, the micrometer regulator(smack damn in the middle because they poised the hell out of the balance), the screwed balance, the hand winding and you just know that all that polish and attention is carried through on the parts you don't see. And that's before we get to the pure proportions. No BS, like you say a masterclass in restraint, no fancies for the sake of them, pure actual watchmaking and design. There isn't a top watchmaker of the last 200 years that wouldn't look at that and say yep. Nailed it. And there isn't a top watchmaker of the last 200 years that couldn't service and fix it either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

As I didn't feel like wearing a GShock or a Seiko today :)

548262.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    And it has the small seconds complications as Nico would say...!
    *twitches*. No 89, just no. :D The more videos that guy puts out the more he exposes just how clueless he actually is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

893bet wrote: »
    A stainless steel Rolex or one of these (very different watches obviously)....easy choice. If it’s possible for a watch that costs 5 figures to be value for money then that’s what ALS are.

When you have mad lads out there paying a 40% premium for a basic steel Rolex 3 hander....a ALS in precious metal for 68% of retail seems an exceptional value proposition.

You are correct Wibbs a whole lot of craftmanship in the watch and a lot of interesting details. These high horology watches are just so much more interesting than the usual sports watch fare. I was thinking of buying back a hulk but this ALS was cheaper and in most ways that matters a better watch...strange world no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Jesus Fitz you’ve outdone yourself. That is honestly the most beautiful piece, the refinement and restraint is pure class. I can only dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Everything about ALS oozes class. Even the catalogue, I use mine (and the patek one) as a coffee table book, it’s that nice. They’ll send them for free if you ask nicely.

Fitz II wrote: »
    When you have mad lads out there paying a 40% premium for a basic steel Rolex 3 hander....a ALS in precious metal for 68% of retail seems an exceptional value proposition.
    +1000. That's the issue I have with the current Rolex frenzy. IMHO guys are getting ripped off basically. They are a good watch, but they're not close to an over premium good watch(and again IMHO not worth the retail either) and aren't within an asses roar of a Lange.
    You are correct Wibbs a whole lot of craftmanship in the watch and a lot of interesting details. These high horology watches are just so much more interesting than the usual sports watch fare. I was thinking of buying back a hulk but this ALS was cheaper and in most ways that matters a better watch...strange world no?
    Real craftmanship too. Not premanufactured computer precision with a nod to hand assembly at the end. When actual stone cold bone fide quality like that ALS is cheaper than a Hulk, imho that's the strange world F.

000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682.jpg

:D I really think you have though. On every level. In 20, 50, 80 years time that will still be a gentleman with taste's watch. It would have been 20, 50, 80 years ago. Stuff like that is essentially outside "fashion" and trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well wear on that ALS Fitz, stunning piece that puts paid to the myth one needs a Rolex, or even that Rolex can be considered on a par with high horology.
    Eye meltingly beautiful, and I'd hazard a guess that 893's may have helped sway your choice?

banie01 wrote: »
    Well wear on that ALS Fitz, stunning piece that puts paid to the myth one needs a Rolex, or even that Rolex can be considered on a par with high horology.
    Eye meltingly beautiful, and I'd hazard a guess that 893's may have helped sway your choice?

Oh 893's sealed the deal alright, his up down is a bit more fancy mind you, but they all have the same level of finish.

I wont hear a word against Rolex unless I am saying it :P Its a odd situation. A Rolex is a great watch, waterproof and robust. But a collection of only Rolex is missing so much. WIth the rise in price of entry level rolex watch bringing them so close to holy trinity and high horology watches the decisions are harder.

But the thing to remember is you can bounce around Rolex all day, trying watches and flipping them. This ALS I am married to, much harder to shift, smaller market more niche.

Half the fun is the journey, changing in taste and perspective.

PXL-20210326-165330798.jpg

Sod it folks, this pic deserves quoting. Well wear Fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Have to say I'm pretty much exclusively a fan of dive watches but that ALS is incredible.

But the thing to remember is you can bounce around Rolex all day, trying watches and flipping them. This ALS I am married to, much harder to shift, smaller market more niche. .

I think at the price you paid you will be ok if you decide to move on. Maybe a small loss but chances are you will be trading into a dealer so might have more play than you think depending on it’s replacement from the dealer.
    Half the fun is the journey, changing in taste and perspective.

The pace you are moving is incredible. A whirlwind of ****e hot watches rather than a journey! A lot of fun to observe.

But what’s next......pointless planning.........we are all so fickle and what we think we want and what we buy are rarely the same. The head can get turned in an instant. I bumped the “what’s on your wish list” a month or two ago and have a list of wants etc and criteria......two months later I am close to buying two watches that didn’t really appear on my list of wants (one sorta was) at a value that would get me or get me close to a lot of the watches on my list of wants. Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wearing my Chinese pilot's watch.

548318.JPG

548319.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@CyclingTourist: that is a very handsome piece.
    Is it a 36mm? Or a 39?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @CyclingTourist: that is a very handsome piece.
    Is it a 36mm? Or a 39?

It's the standard 38mm with acrylic crystal. Similar to the HKED version although I bought it for less on Aliexpress.

Here's a link to the HKED one.

https://www.hkedwatches.com/collections/1963-38mm/products/copy-of-hked-ed63-cream-panda-available-in-the-u-k-only?variant=37883748483249

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

Latest addition to the watch box arrived today

548394.jpg

548395.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Happy Saturday evening all. I'm not a mad whiskey fan, but some evenings are just right for it.

(And nice watch Fitz.)

W02yO82.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Happy Saturday evening all. I'm not a mad whiskey fan, but some evenings are just right for it.

(And nice watch Fitz.)

Lovely. Had a naggin with our mutual pal and another this afternoon. 2 non watch wearing freaks.

A49-BCA7-B-06-C9-48-A6-8-AB3-BF559-C51914-F.jpg

This is the kinda thing that happens......casual meeting last week end-up with me buying Fitz VC and him buying an 1815......

It was on my wrist for a week trial on sale or return. And I didn’t think I would like it. As it’s huge in comparison to my other watches but it’s well balanced and works. And it comes with rubber!

I offered my Aquanaut to Fitz for a week also (not for sale but just for interest).....he declined as he was afraid he would like it 😅..........given how quickly he moves he could have a watch bought and sold before breakfast.

The VC purchase provides a conundrum for me. As mentioned on another thread I am considering a Dornbluth. And was toying with the idea of selling my blue dialled VC, but it is rather stunning in hand and is relative small €€€. Also in selling my blue dialled VC I am left without a blue dialled watch.....and I love blue......unless I fill that with a blue dialled Dornbluth.........first world problems.

With a VC bought, a Dornbluth a potential, empty cases will decide, and a Solas in coming my “no new watches in 2021” is going just according to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Those VCs are utterly gorgeous.

However, there are inspiring in me an ambivalence that I have never really felt before around watches.

As much as I am impressed by thyen, and have read a lot about the company and its history, I don't actually want one.

Most odd.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    As much as I am impressed by thyen, and have read a lot about the company and its history, I don't actually want one.

Most odd.

Like the alcoholic said when he was reading about the dangers of drinking. He was so scared he gave up reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Just to say the Starlight is "blue" in certain light so you don't get the excuse of "no blue dial" to use either :p

Advertisement