Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Free speech only for those you agree with?

A public representative is paid to represent the public interest. Tough concept for a FG'er I know. You don't go on to a broadcast interview to side against the people you represent.
    He's free to say what he likes, just shows how shyte he is at his role.

Of course when he's leaking confidential government documents to a pal, he is working on behalf of government :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A few of us must be on the FG watchlist. Interesting.

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    A public representative is paid to represent the public interest. Tough concept for a FG'er I know. You don't go on to a broadcast interview to side against the people you represent.
    He's free to say what he likes, just shows how shyte he is at his role.

Of course when he's leaking confidential government documents to a pal, he is working on behalf of government :rolleyes:

That is a nonsensical post.

The public interest in this story is to ensure that the taxpayer is not left on the hook for the claims from the Debenhams workers. Varadkar therefore defended the public interest.

The public interest is not represented by a small group of loud workers.

However, that flaw in your argument is only mild compared to the idea that a politician should not side against the people he represents, and you don't believe that either, despite your protests. Most people in Ireland believe that a border poll is divisive and unnecessary, yet we have politicians speaking against the public will and calling for one, and I have no problem with them saying that, that is their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Floppybits wrote: »
    All bets are off when a company winds up. Once everyone is paid whatever is left will then be given to the workers only way to change it is to move workers higher up the creditor list and I can't see that happening.

Those directly employed by the company should be paid first, then the sub contractors, the local authority, then Revenue and the bank's, Revenue pocketing a lot of money that should have been redundancy payments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The public interest in this story is to ensure that the taxpayer is not left on the hook for the claims from the Debenhams workers. Varadkar therefore defended the public interest.

However, that flaw in your argument is only mild compared to the idea that a politician should not side against the people he represents, and you don't believe that either, despite your protests. Most people in Ireland believe that a border poll is divisive and unnecessary, yet we have politicians speaking against the public will and calling for one, and I have no problem with them saying that, that is their right.

FF will push for a border poll next election, only party who won't will be FG who yearn for the days of the ascendancy

• Advertisement

To drag you back to the original comment. The connection between government and the Debenhams workers was a government minister, Varadkar, siding against the workers by lying, stating there was no money there when there was/is. How it should be distributed is the dispute.
    I've no issue with free speech, I am free to criticise it.

There was nonsense, in that when Varadkar says something it's just him giving his opinion, unless he's leaking a confidential document to a pal, then he's acting for the greater good... We should make him wear specific hats so we can tell.

Those directly employed by the company should be paid first, then the sub contractors, the local authority, then Revenue and the bank's, Revenue pocketing a lot of money that should have been redundancy payments

Well, you need to have the law changed, then.

https://www.ijsj.ie/assets/uploads/documents/pdfs/2020-Edition-01/4.%20Jonathan%20McCarthy.pdf

This is a very good article that sets out some of the issues. Notable is that employees already have a high enough preferential situation. In some other jurisdictions, wages owed can be withheld in a liquidation.

To drag you back to the original comment. The connection between government and the Debenhams workers was a government minister, Varadkar, siding against the workers by lying, stating there was no money there when there was/is. How it should be distributed is the dispute.

There was nonsense, in that when Varadkar says something it's just him giving his opinion, unless he's leaking a confidential document to a pal, then he's acting for the greater good... We should make him wear specific hats so we can tell.

The legal position is that there was no money for enhanced redundancy as the law states that other creditors take precedence including Revenue.

Varadkar did not lie, no matter how many times you state it.

You are making things up again about Varadkar.

The legal position is that there was no money for enhanced redundancy as the law states that other creditors take precedence including Revenue.

Varadkar did not lie, no matter how many times you state it.

You are making things up again about Varadkar.

He said there was no money there. He lied to give weight to the futility of the protests. Discussing were the money should go was the dispute, not that there wasn't any. That's his lie. You stating your side does not mean there was no money there just a opinion on where it should go. The workers disagreed, hence the pickets.
    And again, I was only interested in showing his connection. as a government representative to the Debenhams dispute. Job done.

You are making false claims with no back up again.
    I'll ask, for ****s and giggles, what do you mean by making stuff up and what do you mean by 'again'? You throw these baseless claims out on a regular basis with no support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Do you want us to discuss what role FF/FG/Green have to play?
    Was he in the FF/FG/Greens?
    TBF if he had of used a glass he might have been a disgruntled FG TD.

To help with what the government are responsible for:
    Debenhams: No
    Crime: Yes

• Advertisement

If you were following the Debenhams story, you’d know the facts. KPMG were considering making an offer of €1,000,000 to be divided amongst the workers. The workers rejected this out of hand, so it was withdrawn. They will get their 2 weeks statutory redundancy.

No you didn't drag it back to the original comment. You have dragged it back to something you have made up. The original comment was about the government getting involved with Debenhams which I was 100% right to say they have nothing to do with the government.

Why you felt the need to mention the document that Varadkar passed incorrectly to someone is strange to me? what exactly has that to do with Debenhams?

You are aware the government is actually more than Leo the kitten? you seemed slightly obsessed with someone who isn't even the leader of the government. What is that about?

To help with what the government are responsible for:
    Debenhams: No
    Crime: Yes

So have the Garda questioned FG on the case?

Have they business enforcing the law or amending the law but only as regards crime? Have they no business enacting the recommendations from the Clery's scandal?

If you were following the Debenhams story, you’d know the facts. KPMG were considering making an offer of €1,000,000 to be divided amongst the workers. The workers rejected this out of hand, so it was withdrawn. They will get their 2 weeks statutory redundancy.

Great story Maryanne. Not what I was commenting on.

Great story Maryanne. Not what I was commenting on.

Then WHAT is your point?

So have the Garda questioned FG on the case?

Have they business enforcing the law or amending the law but only as regards crime? Have they no business enacting the recommendations from the Clery's scandal?

Best to leave you to it
    Bit of advice, get over the obsession with Leo the kitten. He is a politician, that's all. It ain't healthy.

Then WHAT is your point?

Leo = bad

That is what all his/her posts are about

No you didn't drag it back to the original comment. You have dragged it back to something you have made up. The original comment was about the government getting involved with Debenhams which I was 100% right to say they have nothing to do with the government.

Why you felt the need to mention the document that Varadkar passed incorrectly to someone is strange to me? what exactly has that to do with Debenhams?

You are aware the government is actually more than Leo the kitten? you seemed slightly obsessed with someone who isn't even the leader of the government. What is that about?

Not so. The connection to government was Varadkar and MM commenting on it. That's it.

I mentioned Varadkar leaking the confidential document to a pal because it was claimed he acted in the greater good as a minister.
    Yet his being on a broadcaster commenting of the Debenhams issue was akin to him discussing Dancing with the Stars :rolleyes:

He's in government as is MM and they spoke on it. That's the fact. You don't see that as a government connection, cula bula, I do.

I'll keep to the topic my friend, may as well be asking 'what's a vulture fund?' or other unrelated fudge.

So crime rates, the government from what I can see is doing nothing to reduce. Parts of Dublin really are no go areas for the Garda, we have Garda trying to take down a man with an uzi and hand grenade with nothing but a baton.

What do the government need to do to stop the escalating crime? another jail is the minimum requirement as criminals are getting out early or slap on wrists as simply no space in jails for them. The current government should build a jail ASAP.

Not so. The connection to government was Varadkar and MM commenting on it. That's it.

I mentioned Varadkar leaking the confidential document to a pal because it was claimed he acted in the greater good as a minister.
    Yet his being on a broadcaster commenting of the Debenhams issue was akin to him discussing Dancing with the Stars :rolleyes:

he's in government as it MM and they spoke on it. That's the fact. You don't see that as a government connection, cula bula, I do.

They got asked a question and answered. That doesn't mean the government should get involved in a union issue. Fairly simple, well to most people. Dances with the stars? what are you talking about?

• Advertisement

Then WHAT is your point?

The connection between Debenhams and government was MM and LV talking on it. That's all.
    Leo = bad

That is what all his/her posts are about

You might want to take that up with Leo.
    More or your made up claims with no back up...

They got asked a question and answered. That doesn't mean the government should get involved in a union issue. Fairly simple, well to most people. Dances with the stars? what are you talking about?

I showed the connection.

I was citing Blanch. Would you not try follow if you are deciding to chime in?

The connection between Debenhams and government was MM and LV talking on it. That's all.

No need to take anything up with Leo. I couldn't care less about the bloke. He screwed the people in his own area which says enough.

I suggest you read back over the last 20 posts on this thread from yourself, if you don't even realise you are obsessed the bloke it is worse than I though, as I said unhealthy.

No need to take anything up with Leo. I couldn't care less about the bloke. He screwed the people in his own area which says enough.

I suggest you read back over the last 20 posts on this thread from yourself, if you don't even realise you are obsessed the bloke it is worse than I though, as I said unhealthy.

No need to try personalise. I'll speak on who I like when I like.
    He's only ever mentioned in context. Not that I need explain that to you. As you don't care about the bloke the obsession over my posting on him, in context, as he comes up is odd.

So, politicians aren’t allowed talk to constituents? Wowsers!

I must agree with @solutionking in that you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Unhealthy thread King.... just a nest of ‘hurlers on the ditch ‘trawling every platform going to try to find any hint of rubbish to sling.

They didn’t like the way their attack on Varadkar dashed and burned yesterday.

Lot of built up anger there.

Fasten your seat belt.

So, politicians aren’t allowed talk to constituents? Wowsers!

I must agree with @solutionking in that you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Leo.

Who said that?

Good for you. I'll stick to discussing topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So crime rates, the government from what I can see is doing nothing to reduce. Parts of Dublin really are no go areas for the Garda, we have Garda trying to take down a man with an uzi and hand grenade with nothing but a baton.

What do the government need to do to stop the escalating crime? another jail is the minimum requirement as criminals are getting out early or slap on wrists as simply no space in jails for them. The current government should build a jail ASAP.

Dublin has been left to decay, won't belong before it will be back to the way it was in the 80's. Shocking how bad the city has gone.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Dublin has been left to decay, won't belong before it will be back to the way it was in the 80's. Shocking how bad the city has gone.

The politics of government are reverting back to FF/Haughey era by the looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The politics of government are reverting back to FF/Haughey era by the looks.

Certainly seems to be going that way. Didn't take FF long to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully this is their last stint in government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement