Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The original story was that "Hunter Biden" brought 3 Laptops to the shop to be repaired as a result of water damage , 2 were determined to be beyond repair but a 3rd was repairable/recoverable.

Yet another "Hang of a minute" moment in a series of them for anyone with even the slightest knowledge of computers.

How exactly did the Blind repair man make this determination about these 2 laptops in the few minutes that "Hunter Biden" was in the shop, before he sent him away to buy an external drive for the data recovery.

If the purpose was data recovery how on earth did a quick glance at these laptops determine that they were goosed but fortuitously the one with all the "good stuff" on it was able to be recovered.

How do you know there was nothing incriminating on the other two laptops? I've worked in computer repair and yes, if someone has water damaged hardware it can be fairly quick to determine if they are fried. If the other two were powered on when damaged by water and the other one had a dead battery, this would be easy enough to figure out. The one with the dead battery wouldn't have shorted out the motherboard etc.
    BTW - What Computer repair shop doesn't have External drives or USB's keys etc. for sale onsite?

Or are we expected to believe that "Hunter Biden" reckoned he could save a few quid by going to Best Buy or Fry's so left and came back instead?

The account we're heard said he rang Hunter and asked him to bring in an external drive. Most people would have one handy and would prefer to not have to go out and buy another one so I can see why he rang. We've no idea why Hunter decided to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Luxxis wrote:
    Ignorance, a quick Google search will verify everything i said, but more interesting, no one on here has denied anything i said, because they are at least aware of Obama's history, that alone should tell you something.
    Well your painting of Ghadaffi as some sort of saviour is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

vojiwox wrote: »
    Dont forget when it all goes to shiit.

"it is what it is"
    "I don't take responsibility at all"

On the responsibility thing, nice piece by the lovely Brianna Keilar on CNN about the #IMPOTUS Sergeant Schultz defense here:

https://boingboing.net/2020/10/20/trumps-i-know-nothing-defense-exposed-as-a-lie.html

or maybe the DNI is talking bollix and they know it so they think the public has a right to know.

He's privy to what the actual investigations are looking into or have ruled out, they aren't. If it was Russian disinformation then it has been in the possession of the FBI since last December and they would have warned the public about this attempt to interfere with the election. Remember, we're how many days in now and no one involved has disputed the information is real and one person named in one of the China emails has confirmed it is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    How do you know there was nothing incriminating on the other two laptops? I've worked in computer repair and yes, if someone has water damaged hardware it can be fairly quick to determine if they are fried. If the other two were powered on when damaged by water and the other one had a dead battery, this would be easy enough to figure out. The one with the dead battery wouldn't have shorted out the motherboard etc.

The account we're heard said he rang Hunter and asked him to bring in an external drive. Most people would have one handy and would prefer to not have to go out and buy another one so I can see why he rang. We've no idea why Hunter decided to buy one.

Would ya just give over at this stage. It's tedious beyond belief. If you have ACTUAL evidence fire ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He's privy to what the actual investigations are looking into or have ruled out, they aren't. If it was Russian disinformation then it has been in the possession of the FBI since last December and they would have warned the public about this attempt to interfere with the election. Remember, we're how many days in now and no one involved has disputed the information is real and one person named in one of the China emails has confirmed it is genuine.

and yet Rudy still hasn't released the emails. why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

Yourself, breitbart and the nypost are the only ones running with the story at this stage.... Hmmm.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If the task was retrieving data , then simply no that's just not the case.

Water damage obviously can lead to component damage , but to be able to determine almost instantly that "there was nothing to be done" about two of the systems in terms of data recovery just does not pass muster , not even a little bit.

If they had platter based drives , even if they'd been submerged fully in water , there's a half decent chance of getting the data off them no matter what other parts of the system has short circuited. I've personally taken drives out of systems that had been burned to a crisp in a fire and then put out by the Fire Service and still gotten data off them.

If they were stand-alone , removeable SSD drives , he'd still have to remove them , mount them and run a full bore data recovery suite on them which for a typical modern sized drive (North of 100GB) would take many many hours.

If the SSD chips were "down" on the mainboard , it's all the above plus de-soldering etc. etc.

As I said , it's just another "Wait a minute, that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense" moment.

The scenario we have been provided is not impossible , but it is implausible.

And the problem is that there are just far too many "Not impossible but sort of implausible" elements to this that when taken together as an entire story just destroy the believability of the provenance of all of this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well your painting of Ghadaffi as some sort of saviour is ridiculous.

But everything I said was so wrong. So how is its ridiculous, it was wrong, so wrong in fact it was not worthy of a response from you.

And i never defended Ghadaff, ever.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Would ya just give over at this stage. It's tedious beyond belief. If you have ACTUAL evidence fire ahead.

So we should just accept objections that don't make sense because, Biden?

I agree it is tedious, but worth knowing that most of the 'red flags' are just misunderstandings. I understand people are desperate for any bit of information that will allow them to think 'OK, so I don't have to believe this, great!'.

It seems though that we have two lockdowns going now, a Covid lockdown and a 'Frontal Lobe' lockdown: Just don't think rationally about this out in public for the next couple of weeks until Biden is in.

I think the press standing down on this corruption story will be the biggest scandal of all. The corrupt back-room dealing is a grubby stain on the Biden's but people will now have to question if they have any reason to believe the media are interested in them knowing the truth before an election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So we should just accept objections that don't make sense because, Biden?

I agree it is tedious, but worth knowing that most of the 'red flags' are just misunderstandings. I understand people are desperate for any bit of information that will allow them to think 'OK, so I don't have to believe this, great!'.

It seems though that we have two lockdowns going now, a Covid lockdown and a 'Frontal Lobe' lockdown: Just don't think rationally about this out in public for the next couple of weeks until Biden is in.

I think the press standing down on this corruption story will be the biggest scandal of all. The corrupt back-room dealing is a grubby stain on the Biden's but people will now have to question if they have any reason to believe the media are interested in them knowing the truth before an election.

even Fox News wanted nothing to do with story. the journalist who wrote the NYP story wants nothing to do with it

If the task was retrieving data , then simply no that's just not the case.

Water damage obviously can lead to component damage , but to be able to determine almost instantly that "there was nothing to be done" about two of the systems in terms of data recovery just does not pass muster , not even a little bit.

If they had platter based drives , even if they'd been submerged fully in water , there's a half decent chance of getting the data off them no matter what other parts of the system has short circuited. I've personally taken drives out of systems that had been burned to a crisp in a fire and then put out by the Fire Service and still gotten data off them.

If they were stand-alone , removeable SSD drives , he'd still have to remove them , mount them and run a full bore data recovery suite on them which for a typical modern sized drive (North of 100GB) would take many many hours.

If the SSD chips were "down" on the mainboard , it's all the above plus de-soldering etc. etc.

As I said , it's just another "Wait a minute, that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense" moment.

The scenario we have been provided is not impossible , but it is implausible.

And the problem is that there are just far too many "Not impossible but sort of implausible" elements to this that when taken together as an entire story just destroy the believability of the provenance of all of this information.

You don't know the extent of the damage to the other two laptops though? He's a dedicated Mac repair shop that's been open for years and he actually saw the laptops.

Fire damage and water damage are two very different beasts, water can make the entire circuit board short out and cause massive, irretrievable damage to all components in there if the laptop was powered on when the water entered the case.

Have you personally retrieved data from a solid state drive that had been immersed in water while powered up?

vojiwox wrote: »
    Yourself, breitbart and the nypost are the only ones running with the story at this stage.... Hmmm.

It's all over the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Only the best people for Trump

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You don't know the extent of the damage to the other two laptops though? He's a dedicated Mac repair shop that's been open for years and he actually saw the laptops.

Fire damage and water damage are two very different beasts, water can make the entire circuit board short out and cause massive, irretrievable damage to all components in there if the laptop was powered on when the water entered the case.

Have you personally retrieved data from a solid state drive that had been immersed in water while powered up?

Part of my job previously was responsibility for one of the largest PC repair facilities in the United States , repairing thousands of units every week.

So yeah , I know what I'm talking about.

However , AGAIN.

The point here is not about POSSIBILITY it's about PLAUSIBILITY.

And there are just far too many elements of this story that each individually strain that plausibility question.

As I have already said if it was just one or two elements you could overlook the potential "Plausibility gap" and move on , but there are simply too many of them to allow you to do that.

The story taken as a whole, fails miserably to pass "The sniff test".

and yet Rudy still hasn't released the emails. why is that?

He's handed them to the police and the FBI to investigate? Should only take them a few days to compare Rudy's drive and the laptop seized in December 2019.

Part of my job previously was responsibility for one of the largest PC repair facilities in the United States , repairing thousands of units every week.

So yeah , I know what I'm talking about.

However , AGAIN.

The point here is not about POSSIBILITY it's about PLAUSIBILITY.

And there are just far too many elements of this story that each individually strain that plausibility question.

As I have already said if it was just one or two elements you could overlook the potential "Plausibility gap" and move on , but there are simply too many of them to allow you to do that.

The story taken as a whole, fails miserably to pass "The sniff test".

But I take it you haven't seen the laptops and you haven't personally recovered data from an SSD that was immersed in water while the battery was charged and motherboard live?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's all over the news?

by news you mean gutter press?

The best bit about all this Hunter guff.

It doesn't appear to be making the blindest bit of difference to the US voters.

He's handed them to the police and the FBI to investigate? Should only take them a few days to compare Rudy's drive and the laptop seized in December 2019.

Just to clarify..

He gave absolutely nothing to the FBI.

He handed "something" into the local Delaware police who rightly didn't want to touch it with a barge pole so they have forwarded it to the FBI.

The reason I say "something" is that the quote from the Delaware police was "He gave us a drive or a laptop or something"
    “They’ve got a hard drive, or a laptop, or something to that effect. They try to turn it over to New Castle County PD. New Castle County PD calls us,” said Mat Marshall, a spokesman for Delaware Attorney General Kathy Jennings.

But I take it you haven't seen the laptops and you haven't personally recovered data from an SSD that was immersed in water while the battery was charged and motherboard live?

JFC

POSSIBLE

PLAUSIBLE

Learn the difference between the words and read my posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

My OH had to get that done a few years back for a laptop.

JFC

POSSIBLE

PLAUSIBLE

Learn the difference between the words and read my posts.

I read your post: "
    Water damage obviously can lead to component damage , but to be able to determine almost instantly that "there was nothing to be done" about two of the systems in terms of data recovery just does not pass muster , not even a little bit."

Does not pass muster, even a little bit is a fairly strong rejection that the guy's account is plausible. Don't be the guy who posts dictionary links :)

Crap, I'd be the kind of person who posts dictionary links. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A battery always has a charge, thus a motherboard is always "live", with SSD, beyond repair really only means desoldering the chips and smashing them with a hammer or shredding them, pretty much any other damage is easily recoverable.

Now, if the story was that it would cost too much to retrieve data from the other two, that's more plausible.

But the people making this up haven't got a f'n clue about any of this, and spinning ridiculous lie after ridiculous lie to pretend there is a story here.

If you really believe it, as in really, and not just because it somehow demonises Biden and might give orange man a poll boost, then no one can help you, you're better off following QAnon and pushing flat earth theories.

astrofool wrote: »
    A battery always has a charge, thus a motherboard is always "live", with SSD, beyond repair really only means desoldering the chips and smashing them with a hammer or shredding them, pretty much any other damage is easily recoverable.

We're specifically talking about water damage though. I agree with you that if the battery was charged on two the motherboards are live whether they have woken it up with the power button or not. If one had a totally depleted battery though it wouldn't have enough residual current to cause major damage to the components.
    Now, if the story was that it would cost too much to retrieve data from the other two, that's more plausible.

We don't know what the damage was though!
    But the people making this up haven't got a f'n clue about any of this, and spinning ridiculous lie after ridiculous lie to pretend there is a story here.

If you really believe it, as in really, and not just because it somehow demonises Biden and might give orange man a poll boost, then no one can help you, you're better off following QAnon and pushing flat earth theories.

Wrong thread.

Look..

Let's all stipulate that each of the following elements is POSSIBLE
    • Hunter Biden happened to have 3 water-damaged laptops in Delaware that needed repair , despite living in California
    • He chose to take them to a Repair shop run by a Blind Trump Supporting Conspiracy Theorist purely coincidentally
    • The Damage to 2 of the laptops was such that the repair guy was instantly able to determine that they were beyond repair and not worth him even trying
    • The One was was repairable happened to be the one that had "dirt" on it
    • The other systems could also have had "dirt" on them
    • Having submitted them for repair Hunter Biden ignored multiple phone calls about collecting them.
    • Hunter Biden just never thought about the laptop ever again
    • The Repair Shop owner , having recovered the data , decided that he should "read" the data (a major breech of protocol really)
    • He found "Dirt"
    • He had a "Friend" that knew how to contact Multiple Senators/Congress people
    • None of them responded
    • Eventually the "Friend" got in touch with Rudi through his personal attorney.
    • The FBI took the device last November and have done absolutely nothing with it since , not a single thing.
    • Rudi got a copy of the data at around the same time
    • Rudi didn't use the data to defend Trump from Impeachment , because reasons.
    • Rudi didn't give the Data to the Bash Inquiry , because reasons.
    • Rudi didn't give the Data to the Durham investigation , because reasons.
    • Rudi didn't give the data to the Ron Johnson Senate inquiry , because reasons.
    • Rudi shopped the data to multiple media outlets in recent weeks and none would go near it.
    • Rudi finally decided to use the NYP, because "they wouldn't waste time doing stuff like fact checking"
    • New York Post Journalists refused to add their by-line to what would be a Pulitzer nominated article if it was true.
    • The FBI to date have said absolutely nothing other than "NO COMMENT" so far about any element of the story.

Could each of these statements have occurred as stipulated?

In isolation , Yes , of course they could

BUT ,For this story to hold water - every single one of them needs to be true.

And as I have said now repeatedly , that just strains PLAUSIBILTY beyond breaking point for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

It's all over the news?

It's not though.

It's all over certain parts of the internet for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's all over the news?

So was Stormy Daniels, Quid Pro Quo with Ukraine, Russian bounties on American soldiers heads, Russian interference in the 2016 election

Are all of these things true?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We're specifically talking about water damage though. I agree with you that if the battery was charged on two the motherboards are live whether they have woken it up with the power button or not. If one had a totally depleted battery though it wouldn't have enough residual current to cause major damage to the components.

We don't know what the damage was though!

Wrong thread.

Either way, there's no way of knowing if data could be retrieved or not within a few minutes (a laptop battery is also never fully depleted because of how batteries work), and the fact that the "damage" isn't known is another part of the story that doesn't add up.

You're being completely irrational to follow a made up story, or there is an agenda (likely the latter).

Again, Rudy/Trumpy and his gang (that hasn't been fired or convicted) have spent years pushing "fake" news, and have now come up with a completely crazy made up story, and their supporters, including yourself, are buying it, do you not see this? It's completely farcical, it's treating their supporters are complete simpletons with no brains of their own and seeing if they'll swallow any old sh*t, and the mouths are wide open and asking for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

astrofool wrote: »

Mindless parroting of the buzzwords, QAnon became an awful lot more popular since the mainstream gave 'oxygen' to that conspiracy theory in front of the largest audience possible. That was suspect at the time.

It is not 'QAnon' to say the former mayor of new york has given a laptop/harddrive to the police and that he claims there are a couple of pictures that look illegal amongst the thousands. It is not 'QAnon' to say that a man in delaware has claimed he gave a laptop to the FBI. But this is the pivot after the 'russian disinformation' one fell flat on its face.

It used to be - and is when it is convenient - that a single unnamed source or gossip in the new york times was enough to make the Trump guilty of anything. So I've found this newfound journalistic scepticism welcome but revealing.

There also has been no explanation of where the photos of Hunter came from. And the thing is that nobody is even curious about it. They accept whatever they're told without evidence (that russia hacked Burisma, I suppose?). Except the russian disinformation angle has been shut own by DNI, DOJ and FBI.
    One thing that made me take notice was the censorship and the fact that people started calling it russian disinformation without evidence. They won't believe the DNI but they believed someone like Adam Schiff or a newspaper article with no one on the record.

As far as a poll boost, I have been confident Trump will win comfortable enough before this came out. In fact this could hurt him in the public's eye in the short term.

• Advertisement

Mindless parroting of the buzzwords, QAnon became an awful lot more popular since the mainstream gave 'oxygen' to that conspiracy theory in front of the largest audience possible. That was suspect at the time.

It is not 'QAnon' to say the former mayor of new york has given a laptop/harddrive to the police and that he claims there are a couple of pictures that look illegal amongst the thousands. It is not 'QAnon' to say that a man in delaware has claimed he gave a laptop to the FBI. But this is the pivot after the 'russian disinformation' one fell flat on its face.

It used to be - and is when it is convenient - that a single unnamed source or gossip in the new york times was enough to make the Trump guilty of anything. So I've found this newfound journalistic scepticism welcome but revealing.

There also has been no explanation of where the photos of Hunter came from. And the thing is that nobody is even curious about it. They accept whatever they're told without evidence (that russia hacked Burisma, I suppose?). Except the russian disinformation angle has been shut own by DNI, DOJ and FBI.
    One thing that made me take notice was the censorship and the fact that people started calling it russian disinformation without evidence. They won't believe the DNI but they believed someone like Adam Schiff or a newspaper article with no one on the record.

As far as a poll boost, I have been confident Trump will win comfortable enough before this came out. In fact this could hurt him in the public's eye in the short term.

Just on that - Happy to be corrected , but to my knowledge there has been no official comment from either the DOJ or the FBI beyond a "No Comment at this time" letter from the FBI in response to a letter from a Senator (Ron Johnson I believe).

We've had Fox News saying that a "source" told them that the FBI agreed with Ratcliffe, but no official statement that I have seen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement