Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I am seeing items that previously said couldn't be delivered on Jan 1st as now being available for delivery (battery based items) but delivery date to Dublin for one is by Feb 3rd lol and one they'll notify me when they have a delivery date (both ship for Monday to my old AP address!), progress of sorts I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Dave..M wrote: »
    I am seeing items that previously said couldn't be delivered on Jan 1st as now being available for delivery (battery based items) but delivery date to Dublin for one is by Feb 3rd lol and one they'll notify me when they have a delivery date (both ship for Monday to my old AP address!), progress of sorts I guess...

Anyone know with Brexit etc, will amazon ship power banks.

I’m after an Anker one but none ship via Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

obi604 wrote: »

It's unrelated to Brexit. Amazon parcels are flown to Ireland and powerbanks are only shipped using land transport these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Try my memory.ie they do anker

https://www.mymemory.ie/mobile/mobile-phone-chargers/portable-power-banks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

It's unrelated to Brexit. Amazon parcels are flown to Ireland and powerbanks are only shipped using land transport these days.

They're not flown to Ireland, the vast majority if not all Amazon deliveries come by truck. Why they won't ship lithium-ion batteries here I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

VG31 wrote: »
    They're not flown to Ireland, the vast majority if not all Amazon deliveries come by truck. Why they won't ship lithium-ion batteries here I don't know.

Is that right though? How could they do next day delivery (before 1/1) if stuff was shipped by road and not air?

Is that right though? How could they do next day delivery (before 1/1) if stuff was shipped by road and not air?

The latest cut-off for next day delivery was 6 pm from the Manchester warehouse. Other fulfilment centres were earlier. The driving/sailing time to Dublin is about 6 hours. Packages arriving next day from Manchester usually appear in Dublin at 6-8 am so that's plenty of time to get to Dublin.

Amazon do use air freight to Northern Ireland for some next day deliveries. It's fairly obvious from the short gaps between the tracking updates. I was able to work out which flight it was from Flightradar. I think it was ASL or West Atlantic.

They ship plenty of items with lithium-ion batteries. phones, laptops etc which makes it odd why they wont do powerbanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

NATLOR wrote: »
    They ship plenty of items with lithium-ion batteries. phones, laptops etc which makes it odd why they wont do powerbanks

Yeah. Loads of stuff have these batteries. Disappointing they won’t ship power banks.

Yes you're right, I meant powerbanks.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Loads of stuff have these batteries. Disappointing they won’t ship power banks.

MOD <SNIP> Read the Charter

I bought something on Saturday, it shipped on Sunday with a delivery date of next Saturday. The tracking hasn't updated since this:

Sunday, 3 January
    3:38 PM
    Completed customs clearance process
    SOUTHEND-ON-SEA, Essex
    Package has shipped

I bought something on Saturday, it shipped on Sunday with a delivery date of next Saturday. The tracking hasn't updated since this:

Sunday, 3 January
    3:38 PM
    Completed customs clearance process
    SOUTHEND-ON-SEA, Essex
    Package has shipped

Same but mine was 24 hours later (Monday)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hopefully in that case, its just the final delivery date that is unreliable and it will actually come a lot faster than that.

I've noticed a lot of items wont even give me an estimated delivery date when the address is in the ROI. Ordered something yesterday with an expeted arrival of the 13th but hoping it'll be a lot faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭d51984

Canceled my prime today, just cant see the benefit anymore.

Ill keep an eye on Amazon to see if anything gets better over the next few weeks, doubt it though.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭PreCocious

In terms of shipping there's a difference between shipping devices with batteries and just the batteries themselves. If I had to guess it's a combination of package size and rough handling (in terms of powerbanks) and the desire to ship the latest Macbook or iPhone using the fastest possible method.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PreCocious wrote: »
    In terms of shipping there's a difference between shipping devices with batteries and just the batteries themselves. If I had to guess it's a combination of package size and rough handling (in terms of powerbanks) and the desire to ship the latest Macbook or iPhone using the fastest possible method.

They are all hazardous no matter in a device or loose. If there is any likelihood of going on a plane its more likely they won't ship it. Li batteries don't need rough handling to go on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Panrich

My Christmas present sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L ordered on 12th December is still on it's journey:

Tuesday, 5 January
    4:15 AM
    Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    Stanford Le Hope, GB
    1:28 AM
    Parcel left the carrier facility
    Tamworth, GB

Monday, 4 January
    6:33 AM
    Tamworth, GB

Thursday, 31 December
    3:44 AM
    Delay in delivery due to weather or natural disaster
    Stanford Le Hope, GB

Wednesday, 30 December
    3:48 AM
    Stanford Le Hope, GB

Monday, 28 December
    2:26 AM
    Herne-Boernig, DE

Sunday, 27 December
    8:15 PM
    Herne-Boernig, DE

Wednesday, 23 December
    8:00 AM
    Herne-Boernig, GB

Tuesday, 22 December
    8:00 AM
    Herne-Boernig, GB

Monday, 21 December
    2:00 PM
    Herne-Boernig, GB

Friday, 18 December
    10:17 AM
    Herne-Boernig, DE
    7:01 AM
    Frankfurt, DE
    5:29 AM
    Frankfurt, DE
    2:25 AM
    Nurnberg, DE
    1:21 AM
    Nurnberg, DE

Thursday, 17 December
    9:19 PM
    Tuchomerice, CZ
    6:13 PM
    Tuchomerice, CZ
    6:07 PM
    Tuchomerice, CZ
    Package has shipped

Panrich wrote: »
    My Christmas present sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L ordered on 12th December is still on it's journey:

That looks like it's coming with UPS Standard. UPS suspended ground shipments from contiental Europe for about two weeks due to the French border closure. UPS Standard shipments only resumed today.

That last status is strange though. Tamworth is the last UPS facility before they arrive in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Panrich

That looks like it's coming with UPS Standard. UPS suspended ground shipments from contiental Europe for about two weeks due to the French border closure. UPS Standard shipments only resumed today.

That last status is strange though. Tamworth is the last UPS facility before they arrive in Ireland.

Yes, it looks like it's heading back home again. :(

• Advertisement

I just had a parcel from Amazon.de dispatched with An Post. I thought Amazon had stopped using An Post in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I just had a parcel from Amazon.de dispatched with An Post. I thought Amazon had stopped using An Post in Dublin?

For Amazon.co.uk but you ordered from de and there carrier for the last leg is normally An Post.

Wake me up when it's all over.

For Amazon.co.uk but you ordered from de and there carrier for the last leg is normally An Post.

I've ordered a few things from Amazon.de since October and they all arrived with Amazon Logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've ordered a few things from Amazon.de since October and they all arrived with Amazon Logistics.

Fair enough I'm outside Amazons Logistics reach atm and .de normally comes with An Post.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭corkie

Amazon.com maybe a cost effective alternative for similar products?

On orders Fulfilled by Amazon.

Example (Non Prime account): -

.co.UK: - USB Flash Drive 128GB Lio SHAAR Type-C Flash Drive ~~~ EUR 28.81 free delivery 22 Jan.

.com: - USB 3.0 Flash Drive, 128GB Thumb Drive, High Speed Memory Stick ~~~ EUR 28.71 Arriving Jan 19 - Jan 25 with coupon offered on amazon.

Compare prices across eu not including shipping costs?

Edit: - I'm aware you could get similar cheaper on the slow boat from china from the likes of aliexpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I thought Amazon had stopped using An Post in Dublin?
    Not as much obviously as in the past but still using An Post in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

d51984 wrote: »
    Canceled my prime today, just cant see the benefit anymore.

I'll keep an eye on Amazon to see if anything gets better over the next few weeks, doubt it though.

You're just going to lose out, especially for anything under 22 euro.
    Apart from that, it seems you're a half glass full type. Brexit has just kicked in and we're witnessing the effects as reasonably expected. The only downside appears to be initially delayed deliveries.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from restarting prime, but for me, I'll keep ordering and saving money.

Apart from that, it seems you're a half glass full type. Brexit has just kicked in and we're witnessing the effects as reasonably expected. The only downside appears to be initially delayed deliveries.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from restarting prime, but for me, I'll keep ordering and saving money.

Its not the only thing, a load of stuff is no longer shipped to Ireland (low value grocery items).

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

But that's the biggest benefit of prime. Saved me this Christmas anyway!

Really hope it settles down and back to normal but can't see it with customs checks needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

corkie wrote: »
    Amazon.com maybe a cost effective alternative for similar products?

On orders Fulfilled by Amazon.

Example (Non Prime account): -

.co.UK: - USB Flash Drive 128GB Lio SHAAR Type-C Flash Drive ~~~ EUR 28.81 free delivery 22 Jan.

.com: - USB 3.0 Flash Drive, 128GB Thumb Drive, High Speed Memory Stick ~~~ EUR 28.71 Arriving Jan 19 - Jan 25 with coupon offered on amazon.

Compare prices across eu not including shipping costs?

Edit: - I'm aware you could get similar cheaper on the slow boat from china from the likes of aliexpress.
    Surely you'll be caught by revenue if coming from US?

Advertisement