Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Amazed by people buying new oil burners right now

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

liamog wrote: »
    It can very much depend on the car, speccing a Mini Cooper SE versus a Mini Cooper S with the same equipment, the ICE version is €7,500 more expensive. Why would anybody buy an ICE vehicle when they are so much more expensive than EVs :p

On a serious note, most people don't compare the spec when comparing the price, the Kona is a great example where the headline figures when comparing the EV versus the ICE version look much worst than they are. It's long been true in the automotive world that you pay more for better performance and equipment. As the currently available EVs are in such high demand, the manufacturers are more than happy to sell versions that have the high margin add ons. You can even see this with the ID.3, VW still haven't started shipping the lower spec battery and motor, why bother when you can keep running the more profitable version off the production line.
    who ever buys a mini is going to cry the peterol one will be getting fixed all the time i don't know about electric minibauality is pretty poor

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    who ever buys a mini is going to cry the peterol one will be getting fixed all the time i don't know about electric minibauality is pretty poor

The electric drivetrain comes from the BMW I3 which has been pretty dependable. I believe the F series Mini's are much better than the R's anyway, there is much more BMW engineering in them than the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Top speed is largely irrelevant for most people buying a car in Ireland for use on Irish roads. So long as the car can get to about 125km/h in a timely manner I'm happy enough.

To be able to do 120 kph on a motorway into a 60kph headwind, the top speed matters. Getting to speed in a timely manner usually equates with a car that can handily exceed the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Lol got a new m340i 6 cylinder. Couldn’t give a fiddlers at mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

cnocbui wrote: »
    To be able to do 120 kph on a motorway into a 60kph headwind, the top speed matters. Getting to speed in a timely manner usually equates with a car having a higher that can handily exceed the speed limit.

I cannot speak for other EVs, but mine has a governed top speed of 160km/h, which is fast enough for me here in Ireland.

Haven't tried it, but looking at tests it seems to be able to maintain that whether up hill, down hill or into a head wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

s8n wrote: »
    whats an oil burner ??
    yeah when i read title though it maybe a offer on heating oil burners., my boiler is on the way out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

cnocbui wrote: »
    To be able to do 120 kph on a motorway into a 60kph headwind, the top speed matters. Getting to speed in a timely manner usually equates with a car that can handily exceed the speed limit.

I think you have a misunderstanding of how speed limited cars work, they dont measure the air speed to apply the limiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

lol OP fell for the EV meme.

It's funny the mental gymnastics EV owners will go to to try and justify that their purchase was somehow worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It's funny the mental gymnastics EV owners will go to to try and justify that their purchase was somehow worth it.

Exactly as uninformed, anti EV posters do, in the opposite direction :P.
    Do you not think that 187 Km/hr a bit fast for Irish roads ?

I dunno, maybe alright on twisty back roads?

:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Nobody really gets to the car's top speed in normal driving condition. To get comfortably to 120 you need top speed of 160km.

80% of driving I do is on roads with speed limit if 80 or more. I would bever buy small engine ice and I certainly wouldn't be happy with something electric with top speed of 130.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

meeeeh wrote: »
    Nobody really gets to the car's top speed in normal driving condition. To get comfortably to 120 you need top speed of 160km.

80% of driving I do is on roads with speed limit if 80 or more. I would bever buy small engine ice and I certainly wouldn't be happy with something electric with top speed of 130.

Thats the thing, in a petrol car the engine would be at its limiter to get the top speed,

Electric motor doesn't care, it has the same torque at low rpm as it does at a high one. So you don't need that headroom that a normal engine needs

graememk wrote: »
    Thats the thing, in a petrol car the engine would be at its limiter to get the top speed,

Electric motor doesn't care, it has the same torque at low rpm as it does at a high one. So you don't need that headroom that a normal engine needs

unfortunately not, electric motor torque falls off at higher speeds. This is where a simple 2 speed gearbox would really help at high speeds but for the majority of people it's not an issue.

However its not as simple as this, electric cars can have higher power at higher speeds depending on the kv rating of the motor and how the controller is programmed but would mean less power at the low end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What?

Kona should lose more value. It's way over priced at 38k for what it is. They're totally different utility cars though

Average life span of a Hilux is 15-20 years, anyone seen a Hyundai Getz lately

Watch a bit of that RTE Maya Dunphy environment challenge thing What planet something, anyway the contestants electric bills were up 50-60% a week for charging the electric cars, one of them only did 300kms,

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yeah but their petrol bill was zero.

EV usage is pretty simple maths. Average house using 4000 kWh a year, is 77kWh a week. Not sure what car they used, but a Kona for example will use 64kWh to travel 400km (48kWh for 300km, say 50kWh for losses). So 50-60% increase sounds about right. On a 24 hour rate (certain they'd be on that) that's about 7-9 euro. 3-4 euro on a night rate.

What's 300km in petrol? €20 at 5ltr/100km @ 1.30 per litre?

In my eyes they're saving €16 a week, not "adding 50% to their electric bill". (I know they're doing both, but my mentality sees the benefits rather than just focusing on the electric bill)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Watch a bit of that RTE Maya Dunphy environment challenge thing What planet something, anyway the contestants electric bills were up 50-60% a week for charging the electric cars, one of them only did 300kms,

Any link to the that figure?
    Only details I can find for the show is that the family will be buying an EV in the future.
    The Mullingar family are still driving their diesel cars, however, as Jason is a teacher in Longford, and Rachel is a public health nurse.

“Rachel is looking into getting an electric car in the future,” says Jason.

Nope, because it sounds absolute rubbish.:)

Our Ioniq has done about 12K km since we got it in March, increase in bill is hardly noticeable. Almost all charging has been at home at night, so probably about 1600kWh @ €0.074 incl VAT.

But a lot of household items also now operate at night rate, hence the similar bills as before.

Edit. After reading Black Knights' post above, it is possible. What I didn't see was that there is a second EV involved, interesting to see the miles travelled. Apologies for my rubbish remark..

In fairness, "hardly noticeable" could mean anything. Many people would find their petrol/diesel expenditure hardly noticeable.

You'd be surprised how many People said to me that they wouldn't buy an electric car because it would run up the bill which is already expensive enough, yes I know, they're paying a lot more for Petrol/Diesel and don't see the amount of money they're handing out each week. IF they got a diesel Bill every 2 months they'd be shocked. lol

In fairness, "hardly noticeable" could mean anything. Many people would find their petrol/diesel expenditure hardly noticeable.

Yes agree, but hard to get an accurate figure as yet.

But easy to do the maths.

1600kWh(For 7 months use) @ .074/unit = €118. Or about €33 per bill.

But our bills are not up that amount, perhaps €5 at a guess. (Due to other household items moving to night rate)

• Advertisement

Things just become normalised, and you don't pay attention to them. I'd say a lot of people realised how much they spend on fuel when covid stopped everyone working (and transitioning to no work or WFH). I can't say I've noticed more money in my pocket because I'm driving an EV, but the math doesn't lie, I am saving vs diesel. About 1k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I have gone from 1000k a week to 100. I was going to switch to electric but now I am thinking of dailying a classic car.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Yeah but their petrol bill was zero.

EV usage is pretty simple maths. Average house using 4000 kWh a year, is 77kWh a week. Not sure what car they used, but a Kona for example will use 64kWh to travel 400km (48kWh for 300km, say 50kWh for losses). So 50-60% increase sounds about right. On a 24 hour rate (certain they'd be on that) that's about 7-9 euro. 3-4 euro on a night rate.

What's 300km in petrol? €20 at 5ltr/100km @ 1.30 per litre?

In my eyes they're saving €16 a week, not "adding 50% to their electric bill". (I know they're doing both, but my mentality sees the benefits rather than just focusing on the electric bill)

My electricity usage last year according to electric Ireland was 6600 units, queried it and EsB technician says that's normal enough,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My electricity usage last year according to electric Ireland was 6600 units, queried it and EsB technician says that's normal enough,

6,600 x 0.18c = €1188 per year.
    About €22 per week.

Seems about normal to me too. I would use similar but I also charge my EV but I also have a 3kw Solar PV system.

:confused: Noone is saying the money is different because it's on an electric bill rather than at the pump. We are saying that right now it's not worth the hassle for most people.

:confused: Noone is saying the money is different because it's on an electric bill rather than at the pump. We are saying that right now it's not worth the hassle for most people.

You've lost me. What hassle? I'm addressing a post saying that electric bills went really high when they drive an electric car for 300km, but ignoring the lack of a petrol expense. I did the math and while your electric bill goes up, your petrol bill disappears entirely.

If the hassle you're referring to is public charging on long drives then your weight that up against the savings you're making. No such thing as a free meal. I for instance have had an entirety of 70 minutes of hassle this year. With the savings I've made on diesel minus the additional cost of electricity that 70 minutes was like being paid out at a rate of around €600/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Diesel card doesn't extend to electricity... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Which infrastructure? The infrastructure for charging at home in rural areas (rural electrification was a 1940's scheme) is already there.

The infrastructure and technology that's needed to make electric cars as convenient as ICE cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are not making a saving unless you are spending most of your waking hours behind the wheel.

All you are doing is paying a large sum of money upfront in order to pay less at the pump or meter. For anyone doing average annual mileage they won't even break even for 5 to 7 years. It's as daft as paying thousands for solar panels on your house and then claiming you are saving on your electricity bill, when you only break even and start to make a saving 10 years later.

Advertisement