Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Leinster nearly bottled it again but fair play they just about seen it through! Hopefully they go on and win it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭DvB

What a day out there, couldn't ask for better on a Sunday of a bank holiday w/e

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yeah it's a nice day, my Alexa keeps telling me it's raining I keep telling her that she's wrong but she won't listen, reminds me of someone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

An absolute corker of a day out there! Really felt like a proper summers day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I lol’d

• Advertisement

Just realised as I'm sat here at my desk I needed to change my countdown calendar onto May… hard to believe we're into the middle third of the year already.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭BK5

Year is flying alright, one of those Great! movie channels had a few hallmark Christmas movies on during the day yesterday and I was thinking it won't be long before they go fulltime Christmas movies for Christmas in July.

I always find this third the quickest as well as summer plans tend to move quickly.

Well I'll be flat out for May with work as we're taking our holidays early this year (first 2 weeks in June) so when back from that will be into the back end of June so no doubt that'll fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Hope everyone enjoyed the bank holiday weekend. We'd a lovely relaxed weekend. County starting to get decked out in Red and White for our trip to Croke Park next weekend :)

• Advertisement

Are you coming up to croker for the game?

In 2 minds myself after the last 2 games being so uncompetitive, and its not cheap either @ 40 euro a ticket.

The Dublin dominance is really starting to get talked about this year with the small numbers heading to Croker for their games this year, will there be a big crowd at this one?

What makes it look worse is that Leinster's semi final in the rugby was a full house.

Meath are still showing no signs of improving, at this stage I'll be one of the old lads in the pub saying things like - I remember when Meath were on of the top teams in the country. 😂

I know loads not bothering for this one. The group games will be the same... tickets are overpriced too. My ticket for the leinster game was half the cost of watching what will most likely be a glorified training match…and they wonder why crowds are down...

Yes, friend of mine in work was at the rugby and commented that the tickets were reasonable enough, cheaper than GAA in Croke Park anyway.

I think we probably will, even though the result is a foregone conclusion :( We didn't go up last year as the kids were too small but little fella is mad to get going.

Definitely not cheap; we're going to leave the smallest at home but two adults & two kids is €96! By comparison, we're going to the Aviva in a few weeks to the ladies match & a family ticket was €55.

Well try & enjoy the day out. Hopefully there is a decent crowd though, Croker with a poor one is terrible for atmosphere and at the guts of €100 you'd like at least some kind of a buzz, win or lose.

Well, we'd just like to not lose by 21 points this year.

Ah it'll be much closer than that. Louth have done well to establish themselves as Leinster's 2nd county behind Dublin recently and I suspect they'll put up far more of a contest than Meath or Offaly did.

Jaysus lads it’s like Spain out there. Who hoo!!

Sat outside in a beer garden after work with a gang from the job and because I had the car I had a few non alcoholic beers, was soo tempted to get on it proper, nothing like day drinking on a sunny afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Won't be long now!

In other news!

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

Wow, the last 500 hours have just flown by! 😄

Have been WFH the last few days as I was struggling with a rotten headcold, checked in here a few times to see if there was any activity but I think its safe to assume we're in 'Quiet mode' now until later in the year.

IIRC things usually start to pick up towards the end of August when the kids are heading back to school so looking forward to a bit more activity then.

Was actually thinking would 'parking' talk of christmas for the summer months impact my enjoyment of the build up at all & was thinking of abstaining until around September as an experiment of sorts to see if it made any difference.

Ah don't do that, you and LoughC and a few others are the foundations of this thing. If people like you go it might start to crumble.

Do i have to use your Charles Dickens quote against you? 😄😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT!

We have a big Halloween party every year and while I am a Christmas fan I'm starting to think of the decorations for this year. Might do a "murder on the dancefloor" section in the kitchen(last year it was aliens/xfiles) and a summoning circle/demon bit in the sitting room. Usually do the bathroom as a corpse/cannibal blood room but trying to come up with ideas. The hall is generally filled with massive spiders, spider webs and bats. At least with Christmas I don't try to redo the decorations each time!

Fab day out there - it's a crime to be at work today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭pigtail33

It really is gorgeous out, low 20s is ideal. I didn't realise how warm it was though and had a few too many layers on heading to the shop earlier.

I washed all my winter blankets earlier and going to wash my heavy coats tomorrow and get them put away. So it'll be my fault if it snows next week and I'll have to root them all out again!

Ah it was a throwaway comment after thinking if it would help increase the buzz later in the year for me is all, however on that note the forum is bigger than any one contributor (okay maybe not the mods, but definitely the rest of us😉). Sure looking back over old threads its clear there's been some huge contributors over the years that no longer post for whatever reasons (Looking squarely at vanilla here mind) and the forum went on from strength to strength. Unfortunately its a fact of life when dealing with online communities like this, people leave & dont come back.

In saying that, given that the build up is more often than not the focal point of my year I tend to always be looking towards it as it gives me such enjoyment & sense of peace, that its unlikely I'd not be drawn back to it before too long anyway. Given my age now I doubt that'll change & i'll be like that until I'm no more.

• Advertisement

absolutely beautiful day in Dublin! Finally feels like summer.

Advertisement