Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    If they close non essential retail until December, I can't even begin to imagine the mayhem that will hit once they reopen! :eek:

Sending half the population out to shop in a 3 week period instead of a 10 week period? Sure what could possibly go wrong?

All messing aside, it will be carnage.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

wes wrote: »
    Non-essential retail closes at level 4.

Homestore and more was deemed to be essential last time as they sold items that could be used for repairs. Certain items were certainly blocked off but you could still go in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    If they close non essential retail until December, I can't even begin to imagine the mayhem that will hit once they reopen! :eek:

Click and collect is still allowed even for non essential stores. That’s key to surviving this. Than and online ordering.

Loughc wrote: »
    Click and collect is still allowed even for non essential stores.

I wasn't aware of this at all. Might help a little.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of this at all. Might help a little.

On the GOV.ie website,
    Other retailers may open for click and collect, where it can be appropriately managed within public health guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Pistachio19

matchthis wrote: »
    Christmas tree train sets for sale in Homestore and picked up Christmas Eve candle for 17.99 as its fragrance of the month

We had the train set a few years ago. Youngest managed to break it after a few days. Went to visit relatives the following year and they had one. Youngest managed to break it within a few minutes. Every year we've seen them since we quickly walk past them if he's with us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I work in retail and since the level 3 measures were introduced the shopping centre was a complete ghost town, actually eerily quiet. Yesterday was the first good day we had in forever. CovID is killing the retail sector. Hopefully the 6 weeks closure will push people to get out and spend when we open back up and right before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

I work in retail in a shopping centre too and the centre is packed most days! Like the days leading up to Christmas. :P

I started the first of my Christmas shopping last night on Amazon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I started my Mum's sweets and biscuit shopping a couple of weeks ago, had to break it to her that our annual outing to Blanchardstown to get the rest of her gifty shopping done won't happen this yrar.

My neighbour is 98 and lives on her own.... the thought of her having to sit down to Christmas dinner on her own just breaks my heart. It infuriates me that there's people who just don't want go give up their bag of cans/ bottle of wine on a Saturday night to help the rest of us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If we hit L4 or L5; The Range never closed off any of their non-essential sections but you had to buy cleaning products or pet food to be allowed buy anything - at least in my local branch. Not sure if actual food counted but they basically only sell biscuits and soft drinks anyway.

We've fish and some robins in the garden so we're in there for pet food anyway; which I used to get a few hardware and homeware bits and pieces and will definitely use for Christmas bits and pieces if I have to.

In L4, Woodies will be open with their Christmas range likely not blocked off either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Was in Woodies in Finglas this morning and they have a large area of their store set up for Christmas now, a really good choice of trees if anyone is looking for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,180 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No reason why christmas or any other areas have to be blocked off in shops

The sooner the better the government make there mind up the better. Jesus December coud be a dark dark month if they keep strong restrictions

Picked up 2 advent calenders today, Haribo for me :D and Milky Bar one for the niece

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Started the Christmas cooking to stave off the overhanging vague depression....two Christmas puddings, big bowl of mincemeat and this years installment of my Lego winter village arrived yesterday!! Roll on Christmas! I see the Late Late show applications are open also however they are planning to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

matchthis wrote: »
    Christmas tree train sets for sale in Homestore and picked up Christmas Eve candle for 17.99 as its fragrance of the month

Did you see any Christmas tree lights for sale? I was in Homestore in Limerick 2 weeks ago and picked up a few bits but they didn’t have the lights out. I’m off work tomorrow so going to pop over early to get a few more bits :)

We're inching closer to on season folks... this time next month things will be so different, ChristmasFM will be on the verge of launching and Christmas songs and ads will have invaded our tvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I wonder with whatever the news holds today will it make people kick off the season earlier than they normally would?

SarahLil wrote: »
    I wonder with whatever the news holds today will it make people kick off the season earlier than they normally would?

I think people will certainly start Christmas shopping earlier. Amazon and online shopping will be getting a hit soon enough with earlier visitors. I know alot of people in the UK have started to put their trees up already in a light up lockdown movement. Which I'm all for.

I think if work stops for me apart from a couple of hours of admin etc....I will certainly crack on with the decluttering before Christmas, cleaning presses making room for non perishables, tackle my mams house too
    My tree might be up the weekend of the 20th November then too I had planned for the following Tuesday or Thursday as they are my days off, I’ll probably leave it fortnight after my tree to do my mothers

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

I was in Blanch yesterday morning and managed to get the last few bits of presents I needed from the likes of Homesense.(They have chocolate liqueurs in bottle form if anyone else has a fussy aunt who won't touch the non-bottle type:pac:) Have Amazon Prime orders coming today and a few other bits during the week. Glad to have gotten it done, mainly have sweet and wine gifts to get now so they can be added to the grocery shop over the coming weeks. Very much looking forward to the Halloween bits being gone at this stage. The boyfriend has been warned the tree will be going up earlier than usual this year:D Been working from home since all this began so can't wait to have the tree beside me while I am!

Not sure if I like the idea of this!? Its like someone read the memo wrong for a 'half tree' like the one's available for smaller rooms for putting against a wall.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3955671

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not sure if I like the idea of this!? Its like someone read the memo wrong for a 'half tree' like the one's available for smaller rooms for putting against a wall.

Good for boisterous pets and toddlers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jesus that is weird looking.

Lidl have their Christmas wrapping stuff in from Monday week.....lots of wooden toys in there this morning. Some stocking fillers sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Description says it’s perfect for people with cats...has the person who designed this ever met a cat???

I’ve seen mine make it up onto curtain rails! This tree would probably be a curious challenge to most :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

With a very active 14 month old I would strongly consider this!:D I'm actually dreading putting up the tree in a way...he's gonna be a divil with it!! But sure that's part of the fun I suppose ;)

jellybear wrote: »
    With a very active 14 month old I would strongly consider this!:D I'm actually dreading putting up the tree in a way...he's gonna be a divil with it!! But sure that's part of the fun I suppose ;)

A few years back had one of those 'first Christmas 2010' baubles from Mumas and Pappas. Actually found on ebay as we never got around to buying it at the time as she was born just before the 25th.

I stupidly hung it too low......little one gets it off the tree and dropped on our wooden floor. Smashed to bits and of course you can't buy them any more.

Lesson learnt, didn't bother with one for our second child!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My sister once found a bauble from the tree in her kid’s nappy. She could have done with a tree like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My sister once found a bauble from the tree in her kid’s nappy. She could have done with a tree like that!

Oh my god that's hilarious :D

My nanna used to swear blind she wasn't feeding us peas when we were minded but mam always found whole peas in the nappy!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Anyone seen the boxes of taytos in shops yet? I want to make a parcel for someone abroad and there's no point in sending teabags and cadburys without a hape of tayto.

Hilarious about the baubles literally LOL..., while WFH

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Anyone seen the boxes of taytos in shops yet? I want to make a parcel for someone abroad and there's no point in sending teabags and cadburys without a hape of tayto.

Not yet but have seen the multiple bag packs on special, depends on how many you need....

Advertisement