Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yop_mayo

Ravelleman wrote: »
    No, this does not happen. The process is gated and your position on the OOM is fixed in relation to your batch. A person with 41/100 in every competency in Batch One will be placed higher than someone with 100/100 in every competency in Batch Three.

What The_Conductor refers to in his posts above is not, to my knowledge, how the OOM actually works. While you may be next on the panel (meaning that there is no one left ahead of you), you are not no. 1.

So they don’t skip over people on the panel when offering vacancies (barring an issue with references / background check / etc.)?

Or, to put it more crudely, having placed in the top 10 OOM in the first batch for the business / finance stream should I be worried about being offered a position?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nclan

My OOM is early 20’s for the health stream. I was optimistic about being placed sooner rather than later but it doesn’t appear so! PAS cannot give any kind of timeframe either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

yop_mayo wrote: »
    So they don’t skip over people on the panel when offering vacancies (barring an issue with references / background check / etc.)?

Or, to put it more crudely, having placed in the top 10 OOM in the first batch for the business / finance stream should I be worried about being offered a position?

In principle, those higher up the OOM will be offered placements before those lower down the OOM. However, various contingent factors in the process of assigning and clearing people mean that someone lower down the OOM might actually end up starting in a role earlier than a person higher up it. Occasionally, expressions of interest will be sought outside the OOM for certain roles that are considered unusual (e.g. with a strong travel aspect that is not accounted for in the general conditions for the grade).

Regarding the second question, it really depends on the number of vacancies. Top 10 in Batch One in any competition is commendable but there tends to be fewer vacancies wherever the roles are more specific than the standard generalist positions.

The streams are a recent innovation (2018 or 2019?) and I recall there being some level of disgruntlement about movement on the panels in the initial outings. This might have been further down the OOM though - check the previous mega threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 2020Survivor

Ravelleman wrote: »
    In principle, those higher up the OOM will be offered placements before those lower down the OOM. However, various contingent factors in the process of assigning and clearing people mean that someone lower down the OOM might actually end up starting in a role earlier than a person higher up it. Occasionally, expressions of interest will be sought outside the OOM for certain roles that are considered unusual (e.g. with a strong travel aspect that is not accounted for in the general conditions for the grade).

Regarding the second question, it really depends on the number of vacancies. Top 10 in Batch One in any competition is commendable but there tends to be fewer vacancies wherever the roles are more specific than the standard generalist positions.

The streams are a recent innovation (2018 or 2019?) and I recall there being some level of disgruntlement about movement on the panels in the initial outings. This might have been further down the OOM though - check the previous mega threads.

They had streams before, back in about 2012-2014 if I recall correctly. They had 4 streams, one of which was a Tax Policy stream.

I would say this to all those currently on the panel; we’re less than a month into the life of this competition’s panel life, 2 of those weeks were Christmas & New Year, heck even last week you could still have people on leave from Christmas, especially with the lockdown and the schools being closed. Appointments need to be approved and signed off at certain grades and if those people are off, then there won’t be much movement.

There are also year end and start of year processes that need to be completed, like the annual performance review and the goal setting for the year ahead, the deadline for year end is usually end of January, though with Covid this year there might, only might, be extensions given. So staff could be busy clearing things like that.

Just try and be patient, the 2019 panel was moving through the 3rd batch up to about the end of November last year and this competition is still only after putting batch 1 together and looks like PAS are moving along with establishing a batch 2 panel so they must be expecting movement in the not too distant future. If you’re on the panel for batch 1 or about to start the interview process for batch 2, you’re in a great position because it’s still so early in the life of the panel. For people in the next batch or batches, remember it’s less than a month into the life of the panel, there is still over 11 months to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jambori

Hey guys, I just have a question regarding competencies for the interview & was wondering could anyone help me out? :)

So in the information booklet each of the 6 competencies have roughly five or six bullet points underneath them. When coming up with examples to address a given competency question in the interview (Leadership, Analysis & Decision Making etc..), I'm wondering would it be advisable to have an example prepared for each bullet point (34 examples in total) or are they looking for us to build the five or six bullet points under each competency into each of our examples?

That sounds very confusing but I hope you know what I mean :pac: Ive never done a Civil Service interview before so I'm a bit lost :confused:TIA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Jambori wrote: »
    So in the information booklet each of the 6 competencies have roughly five or six bullet points underneath them. When coming up with examples to address a given competency question in the interview (Leadership, Analysis & Decision Making etc..), I'm wondering would it be advisable to have an example prepared for each bullet point (34 examples in total) or are they looking for us to build the five or six bullet points under each competency into each of our examples?

You build each sub-point into your example. Many people would prepare two examples for each competency. The interviewers will invite you to refer to refer to the examples you gave on the form (if the form required this) or to any other example you like. It's usually good to have more than one prepared, as some questions will probe at the initial example, while others will raise something new.

Thank You so much for getting back to me and for explaining how it works, really appreciate it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

For existing civil servants and those who are successfully called for a role, would we have to again provide police certs for countries we lived in previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

belgowho wrote: »
    For existing civil servants and those who are successfully called for a role, would we have to again provide police certs for countries we lived in previously?

In my understanding, unless it's third sec or garda civilians, there is only garda vetting involved. When I started as EO I only provided reference and filled in online vetting form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

belgowho wrote: »

No, unless going a position that requires extra vetting. Otherwise all they will do is speak to your line manager and you're done. No hassle at all with references and vetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 DerastiS

For those interested in the AO (ICT) Stream,

The Department of Social Protection have opened a New Campaign for Administrative Officer (AO) - Information and Communications Technology

Don't know if many here applied for this but I not a notification that shortlisting for this position has begun.

Could someone fail presentation? I'm quite worried about that part of the assessment, it's never been part of my job to present and I wouldn't really be that comfortable at public speaking.
    The date is fast approaching, good luck to everyone going through the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 motjuste

I read in the instructions that candidates are permitted to use a PowerPoint or some other visual aid, but they aren't necessary, and scores will not take their use into account.

That being said, has anyone actually not used them? I'd rather not for just a ten-minute presentation, but I worry that I'm not reading between the lines that they expect a PowerPoint.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

FenFlynn wrote: »
    Could someone fail presentation? I'm quite worried about that part of the assessment, it's never been part of my job to present and I wouldn't really be that comfortable at public speaking.
    The date is fast approaching, good luck to everyone going through the next stage.

Yes, you can fail the presentation- and it is an integral part of the process.
    If you really are not confident- I'd seriously suggest you get a few books (Easons or Amazon) on presenting- and practice.

Its actually not nearly as difficult as you imagine- and as an AO you are very likely to have to make presentations from time to time.

If we weren't on a Level 5 lockdown, I'd suggest checking out the likes of Carr Communications- who do an excellent course on presentation skills, however, its not open at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I felt that "presenting" was a bit of an overstatement. Was merely sitting across a table from 2 people.

It's not "presenting" in the sense of standing at the top of a room giving a talk to a load of people so I would not consider it public speaking in that sense.

Do they only ask questions at the end of the presentation or can they ask them during it as well I wonder?

motjuste wrote: »
    I read in the instructions that candidates are permitted to use a PowerPoint or some other visual aid, but they aren't necessary, and scores will not take their use into account.

That being said, has anyone actually not used them? I'd rather not for just a ten-minute presentation, but I worry that I'm not reading between the lines that they expect a PowerPoint.

Last one I did- I did use a powerpoint and put together a few slides (6 or 7 not very many). I used them more as a prompt for myself during the presentation as anything else. The two interviewers were given print outs of my slides- and made a list of questions in advance. I was given a PAS laptop for my use for the day for the presentation etc.

There isn't a right and a wrong way- I also did a freestyle presentation in PAS on another occasion- no notes, no power point- it took me a few minutes to get into my stride, but it worked out quite well (I think that presentation was a few different possible investments involving public money- and you had to assess the relative merits of the propositions and present to the panel your choice, why you went with it, and the pros and cons of the different options).

Different styles suit different people- they don't discriminate against someone who hates powerpoint- its your ability to convey a message to the panel in a coherent and persuasive manner- by whatever means best suits you.

Jambori wrote: »
    Do they only ask questions at the end of the presentation or can they ask them during it as well I wonder?

It depends on the panel- but in general they give you a chance to present, they keep track of the time and warn you when you're coming up on your limit- and at the end of the time, they have a set amount of time set aside to pose questions to you.

I felt that "presenting" was a bit of an overstatement. Was merely sitting across a table from 2 people.

It's not "presenting" in the sense of standing at the top of a room giving a talk to a load of people so I would not consider it public speaking in that sense.

I've done a few different type presentations in PAS (and got all the presentations)- including completely freestyle, flip charts, Power point- and the aforementioned sitting across from 2 people discussing a scenario, my choices and taking their questions.........

There isn't a right and a wrong way- and I do think some people are overthinking this.

It depends on the panel- but in general they give you a chance to present, they keep track of the time and warn you when you're coming up on your limit- and at the end of the time, they have a set amount of time set aside to pose questions to you.

Thanks! Fingers crossed it's only questions at the end so! 😅 The thoughts of it!

• Advertisement

Good luck! Seriously- relax, its quite informal, its not supposed to be intimidating.
    You'll do fine.

Thanks for that.
    I am probably over thinking at this stage but it's hard not to so close to the extra event now.
    Hopefully I'll be able to pass everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mmerton365

Any word on anyone being called from the general stream yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yop_mayo

mmerton365 wrote: »
    Any word on anyone being called from the general stream yet?

Or indeed, any stream?

I don’t want to turn this thread into a weekly bump of “has anyone heard?”, but I did think I would receive word from now. Maybe covid? — has anybody at all been contacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eganr29

FenFlynn wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I am probably over thinking at this stage but it's hard not to so close to the extra event now.
    Hopefully I'll be able to pass everything.

When I did it in December, there were 4 people on the call with me. 3 people asking questions and a notetaker. I did powerpoint so that I was constantly looking at the slides and not getting distracted by the interviewers and also so I wasnt looking down at notes as I had the slides to go off of. At the 9th minute the chair will tell you there's one minute left but apart from that they're quiet for the whole presentation. They then asked questions on the presentation.
    Then they ran through who would be asking about what topics. Have scenarios prepared on all the topics they listed such as leadership, communication etc. as they asked varied questions on the topics but you can nearly always morph your answer to fit their question if you have a scenario going into the interview. They asked some general questions on my previous experience and academic skills at the end. It was an hour and 45 minutes I think but the time flew in. I was very nervous going into it but once I had the presentation finished, I was much more relaxed. The people who interviewed me were all very lovely and it wasn't so formal towards the end of the interview. Remember, if you have made it to this stage of the interview they believe you have the abilities and skills for the job and want to hire you, so you just need to do your best to show that. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

eganr29 wrote: »
    When I did it in December, there were 4 people on the call with me. 3 people asking questions and a notetaker. I did powerpoint so that I was constantly looking at the slides and not getting distracted by the interviewers and also so I wasnt looking down at notes as I had the slides to go off of. At the 9th minute the chair will tell you there's one minute left but apart from that they're quiet for the whole presentation. They then asked questions on the presentation.
    Then they ran through who would be asking about what topics. Have scenarios prepared on all the topics they listed such as leadership, communication etc. as they asked varied questions on the topics but you can nearly always morph your answer to fit their question if you have a scenario going into the interview. They asked some general questions on my previous experience and academic skills at the end. It was an hour and 45 minutes I think but the time flew in. I was very nervous going into it but once I had the presentation finished, I was much more relaxed. The people who interviewed me were all very lovely and it wasn't so formal towards the end of the interview. Remember, if you have made it to this stage of the interview they believe you have the abilities and skills for the job and want to hire you, so you just need to do your best to show that. Best of luck!

How much time did you spend preparing for your interview?

eganr29 wrote: »

Thank you so much for such detailed explanation on this. Appreciate your help!

I did the presentation and used PowerPoint because it gives the interviewers a visual to what you are talking about. My advice would be to keep it simple, less is more. Practice presenting it a few times and make sure to keep within the time. Beat of luck

yop_mayo wrote: »
    Or indeed, any stream?

I don’t want to turn this thread into a weekly bump of “has anyone heard?”, but I did think I would receive word from now. Maybe covid? — has anybody at all been contacted?

I’m early 20’s in OOM for health stream and haven’t heard anything yet. I believe they are working off the panel at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 mouton

Nclan wrote: »
    I did the presentation and used PowerPoint because it gives the interviewers a visual to what you are talking about. My advice would be to keep it simple, less is more. Practice presenting it a few times and make sure to keep within the time. Beat of luck

How far in advance of the interview do you receive the materials to prepare for the presentation?

Advertisement