Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 motjuste

This may sound trivial, but as a foreigner who doesn't live in Ireland, I'm really not sure what the Zoom dress code is (for a man). What have people been wearing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

motjuste wrote: »
    This may sound trivial, but as a foreigner who doesn't live in Ireland, I'm really not sure what the Zoom dress code is (for a man). What have people been wearing?

My experience of the AP competition was that the interviewers were dress formally, presumably in order to avoid any risk of putting off the interviewee. I imagined that this was going to be the case beforehand and wore a white oxford shirt and a tweed tie - by no means formal but at the same time acknowledging that it was not a regular Zoom chat. Adjust to taste.

You'll find that dress code in the Civil Service is a mixed bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 2020Survivor

Always and ever for a job interview with the civil service I would recommend that you be dressed formally, in this case where you indicate it’s a man doing the interview, a suit, with jacket and tie. I wouldn’t go three piece though, I’ve rarely ever see anyone wearing a three piece suit in the civil service, and the ones I have, well let’s just say, they’re not very popular in their office, serious attitude problems, they think they’re better than everyone else, probably think they should also be higher up the ladder than they have achieved.

Another tip, probably not relevant during winter, but I have been advised in the past by senior civil servants that have been on many interview boards, that even if it’s a sweltering hot day and the interviewers extend you the opportunity to take your jacket off, that you should politely decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yop_mayo

Anecdotally, I was wearing just a shirt for the first batch of interviews and placed top 10 in my panel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Put it this way, you will rarely/never be marked down or thought less of in this country for being too formally dressed for an interview whereas you're always taking a chance if you decide to go too casual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Augme

A shirt and decent jumper are also perfectly acceptable for the level it is at. It's been heavily promoted as a graduate position lately. Throw on a tie if you really want to go wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cossie44

How long were people waiting for results of their interview/Presentation for the general stream?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Always and ever for a job interview with the civil service I would recommend that you be dressed formally, in this case where you indicate it’s a man doing the interview, a suit, with jacket and tie. I wouldn’t go three piece though, I’ve rarely ever see anyone wearing a three piece suit in the civil service, and the ones I have, well let’s just say, they’re not very popular in their office, serious attitude problems, they think they’re better than everyone else, probably think they should also be higher up the ladder than they have achieved.

Another tip, probably not relevant during winter, but I have been advised in the past by senior civil servants that have been on many interview boards, that even if it’s a sweltering hot day and the interviewers extend you the opportunity to take your jacket off, that you should politely decline.

I actually can't tell if this is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Put it this way, you will rarely/never be marked down or thought less of in this country for being too formally dressed for an interview whereas you're always taking a chance if you decide to go too casual.

Going to a tech company dressed formally is the "taking a chance" option, in my experience. That being said...

My AO panels were dressed formally on Zoom, for non-IT and IT competitions. I wore a suit and didn't feel overdressed.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    You'll find that dress code in the Civil Service is a mixed bag.
    <advice to wear a suit>
    I actually can't tell if this is a joke.

It seems that you're admitting you underdressed for a senior position, why advise other to do the same? I've done many Zoom interviews for the CS from EO-AP and in all cases the panels were wearing suits, even though all members were sitting at home.

Perhaps if you're an amazing candidate it wont matter. Otherwise, I think it's a simple way to reduce risk if, like many candidates, you're on the verge of succeeding/passing in any given interview. That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one in current circumstances.
    Augme wrote: »
    A shirt and decent jumper are also perfectly acceptable for the level it is at. It's been heavily promoted as a graduate position lately. Throw on a tie if you really want to go wild.

"Graduate position" means that it requires a degree. Recent graduates can apply but you may be competing against people with significant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As an EO my everyday work wear was smart casual (dockers and a smart shirt) unless I was going to MCMs, Interdepartment meetings or meetings with interest groups etc- in which case, smart casual went out the window and it was a formal suit etc.

Different Divisions in different Departments will have different expectations as to what workwear is normal or expected- however, EO and up- if you're dealing with the public- tends to be formal wear.

This, in my experience, would hold for interviews- most people will dress on par with the people who are interviewing them, and will not be noted for the wrong reasons.

By the way- as EO, HEO, AO, AP etc- you are likely to have to attend formal meetings from time to time, where formal wear is the norm. Even as a code monkey, I had project boards etc which I was on the regular invitee list for. I might have gotten away with jeans and t-shirt on the days I wasn't meeting anyone- but full suit was always kept pressed in my wardrobe for the regular days when it was needed.

Zoom is a bit different- insofar as you're presentable, and have as neutral a background for your video as possible, its probably ok. I'd go with the suggestion of an Oxford shirt and a tie- and something neutral behind you (I have a large 4 foot by 12 foot map of Ireland that I sit in front of- which does the job nicely). For god's sake- do not use any of the Zoom backgrounds- you're asking for trouble unless you have a bluescreen).

Its an interview. Dress up rather than down.

floorpie wrote: »
    <advice to wear a suit>

It seems that you're admitting you underdressed for a senior position, why advise other to do the same? I've done many Zoom interviews for the CS from EO-AP and in all cases the panels were wearing suits, even though all members were sitting at home.

Perhaps if you're an amazing candidate it wont matter. Otherwise, I think it's a simple way to reduce risk if, like many candidates, you're on the verge of succeeding/passing in any given interview. That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one in current circumstances.

The only thing that qualifies me to opine on the matter is success in the interview for which you deem me under-dressed.

The suggestion above that someone should not remove a suit jacket in a Civil Service interview in summer is either pure, satirical poetry or madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

The only thing that qualifies me to opine on the matter is success in the interview for which you deem me under-dressed.

The suggestion above that someone should not remove a suit jacket in a Civil Service interview in summer is either pure, satirical poetry or madness.

I agree with your point about removing the jacket. If you are warm and they offer, definitely remove it. I was offered to remove it during a very hot day. I politely declined and just sat out the 40 minutes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I hear you.
    It sounds more like some sort of a punishment than anything else.
    I'm not sure whether that suggestion was serious or not.

You noticed that you weren't as formally dressed as the panel. That's a bad thing to notice in my opinion. You were successful and that's great, perhaps you're an exceptional candidate, but I'd rather reduce the risk that I, e.g.,: appear to the panel to be not bothered, that I misunderstand the culture, that there's a mismatch between my appearance and my CV, etc.

I doubt a suit will ever make or break you, but I'd just rather remove that variable from the equation when I have a suit sitting in my wardrobe anyway.
    Sorry yeah, on this I agree :o Though the older I get the more I realise that there's wisdom to boomer advice (all you need is a firm handshake and eye contact). I've yet to reach "swelter in your jacket and you're guaranteed the job" levels of boomerism.

You noticed that you weren't as formally dressed as the panel. That's a bad thing to notice in my opinion. You were successful and that's great, perhaps you're an exceptional candidate, but I'd rather reduce the risk that I, e.g.,: appear to the panel to be not bothered, that I misunderstand the culture, that there's a mismatch between my appearance and my CV, etc.

I doubt a suit will ever make or break you, but I'd just rather remove that variable from the equation when I have a suit sitting in my wardrobe anyway.

Sorry yeah, on this I agree :o Though the older I get the more I realise that there's wisdom to boomer advice (all you need is a firm handshake and eye contact). I've yet to reach "swelter in your jacket and you're guaranteed the job" levels of boomerism.

These are very valid points.

Ultimately, people should do what makes them comfortable, be that physically, mentally or emotionally. If a suit removes a worry from the equation, then wear that suit by all means.

In my case, before my Zoom interview, I correctly imagined that the board would be formally dressed to avoid putting me or other candidates off if I/we were dressed formally. However, for me, the pretense that I was sitting in my kitchen at home on Zoom in a full suit on a Tuesday morning was too much to bear, so I went for a neat look, rather than a formal one.

General comment: my experience of the Civil Service is that there are a lot of different cultures at play simultaneously. Dress is a reflection of that and people very legitimately wear different things on different days to match contexts, as The Conductor explains. There is room for personal interpretations and tastes too.

However, for me, the pretense that I was sitting in my kitchen at home on Zoom in a full suit on a Tuesday morning was too much to bear, so I went for a neat look, rather than a formal one.
    This was difficult for me to get past, right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

delricyo wrote: »
    I agree with your point about removing the jacket. If you are warm and they offer, definitely remove it. I was offered to remove it during a very hot day. I politely declined and just sat out the 40 minutes

*joins zoom call*

Sorry do you mind if I take my blazer off, I've the heating on too high

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maelenn

FYI
    General stream on OOM 12

Source: PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yop_mayo

Maelenn wrote: »
    FYI
    General stream on OOM 12

Source: PAS

Snail’s pace, but all progress is welcome, given the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 PeachL00pies

Do we know up to what number General Stream candidates were called from the first stage OoM? I placed 170s following this, and submitted my application, but haven't heard back. I've just had a very confusing email exchange with PAS regarding this, and was told that people who scored more than 127 were called through to the second stage of the General Stream...

Edit: I realise now that they were referring to the combined score for Verbal Reasoning and Situational Judgement! Very confusing to jump from OoM to scores.

Do we know up to what number General Stream candidates were called from the first stage OoM? I placed 170s following this, and submitted my application, but haven't heard back. I've just had a very confusing email exchange with PAS regarding this, and was told that people who scored more than 127 were called through to the second stage of the General Stream...

Edit: I realise now that they were referring to the combined score for Verbal Reasoning and Situational Judgement! Very confusing to jump from OoM to scores.

I don't know how accurate it is, but someone in the thread mentioned 32 being called for interview in the first batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

I'd say up to 127 called is correct. I had my interview and presentation last Wednesday and I was a few numbers after oom 100, so anything after 127 will have to wait till this panel is established I guess.
    This week is the last week of stage 2 for this batch. Hopefully we'll hear back next week.

FenFlynn wrote: »
    I'd say up to 127 called is correct. I had my interview and presentation last Wednesday and I was a few numbers after oom 100, so anything after 127 will have to wait till this panel is established I guess.
    This week is the last week of stage 2 for this batch. Hopefully we'll hear back next week.

Is there a difference between a batch and a stage?

Yes, a stage is a round of assessment, while batches are the groups by which people are taken through the stages. The selection process is staggered across stages via batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Pretty sure someone was taking the piss out of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

Yeah, you are batch 1 after two stages of assessments. If I'm lucky enough to pass everything I'll be given an OOM for batch 2. We'll only be called after the first batch is exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

Did anyone else get interruptions very soon into your answers? I didn't get much time to answer a few of mine. I understood that we may get them for the benefit of time but I got a few like 20 seconds into some answers

belgowho wrote: »
    Did anyone else get interruptions very soon into your answers? I didn't get much time to answer a few of mine. I understood that we may get them for the benefit of time but I got a few like 20 seconds into some answers

I feel like panels tend to move on once they hear what they want to hear, even if that just takes a few seconds...? I also think that the common advice to construct answers using STAR is good for preparation, but in practice interviews tend to be more conversational, i.e., sometimes short replies are enough. I wouldn't fret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

I feel like panels tend to move on once they hear what they want to hear, even if that just takes a few seconds...? I also think that the common advice to construct answers using STAR is good for preparation, but in practice interviews tend to be more conversational, i.e., sometimes short replies are enough. I wouldn't fret it.

STAR is definitely useful and worked perfectly previously.

In this case, it was a bit hard as in some answers, not all, I couldn't even get past the S part.

Advertisement