Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ddpas

Ravelleman wrote: »
    You will have to agree a start date with whatever department you end up being assigned to. Way back when, I added about five weeks on to the suggested start date for purely personal reasons. In that case, they were very accommodating but it will always depend on the situation.

Cool this is what I was wondering. Just not sure if I’d be able to make it back at short notice if I was to be offered something. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

For those of us in the 100-150 range, would getting called for interview mid 2021 be optimistic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

belgowho wrote: »
    For those of us in the 100-150 range, would getting called for interview mid 2021 be optimistic?

I'm in a similar boat for the General stream. Its impossible to say realistically, but I don't think you're being optimistic with a mid-2021 time frame- I'd actually expect it to be sooner than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dublinensis

Have just been called to interview for general stream (aptitude test OOM in the 50's).

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

I just received the email as well, interview and presentation in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Same, interview for business stream. Honestly wasn't expecting to hear anything further about this process. No idea what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ConsRoxMySox

Also called for interview, OOM in the 80s for General.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wyattwouldnt

Best of luck to everyone called to interview/presentation stage.

Hopefully this means it won't be long until there are placements from the panel.

Does anyone have the AO booklet handy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Ddk2020

publicjobs.
    ie/documents/GraduateOpportunitiesFinal2020.pdf

I can’t post as full link as won’t allow me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yop_mayo

Has anyone been called to fill a vacancy?

Ddk2020 wrote: »
    publicjobs.
    ie/documents/GraduateOpportunitiesFinal2020.pdf

I can’t post as full link as won’t allow me.

Thanks, that's great! I can access this link

yop_mayo wrote: »
    Has anyone been called to fill a vacancy?

Yea I'm curious about this question too. What does it say about the progress of the earlier batch of candidates the fact that a subsequent batch is now being called for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mmerton365

AngryLips wrote: »
    Yea I'm curious about this question too. What does it say about the progress of the earlier batch of candidates the fact that a subsequent batch is now being called for interview?

How do you mean?

I mean, why do they call a second batch to interview? Does it mean that the first batch have been placed? What criteria do they use to determine if a subsequent batch is required for interview? Is it based on the progress of the previous batch? Is it based on a requirement to have a certain number of available candidates in their pipeline? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mmerton365

I'm in the top 10 and haven't received any contact, so hopefully it's coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yop_mayo

mmerton365 wrote: »
    I'm in the top 10 and haven't received any contact, so hopefully it's coming soon!

Top 10 for me also and no word!

AngryLips wrote: »
    I mean, why do they call a second batch to interview? Does it mean that the first batch have been placed? What criteria do they use to determine if a subsequent batch is required for interview? Is it based on the progress of the previous batch? Is it based on a requirement to have a certain number of available candidates in their pipeline? I don't know.

In the general competition- they will progress through the top 230 (or so) giving everyone places on the panel- or discarding candidates at interview- the whole way down the panel, regardless of whether anyone is placed or not.

Its entirely normal to have a place on a panel, and to not to be offered a post- it happens to hundreds if not more, candidates in PAS every year.

I got to 1st place on the panel at least twice- and the panel timed out.

This is entirely normal.

Any general tips for future interviewees?

How long is interview including presentation?

• Advertisement

In the general competition- they will progress through the top 230 (or so) giving everyone places on the panel- or discarding candidates at interview- the whole way down the panel, regardless of whether anyone is placed or not.

Its entirely normal to have a place on a panel, and to not to be offered a post- it happens to hundreds if not more, candidates in PAS every year.

This is entirely normal.

Is there a reason to let panel run out and put new resources into a whole new recruitment campaign despite having interviewed suitable candidates?

belgowho wrote: »
    Is there a reason to let panel run out and put new resources into a whole new recruitment campaign despite having interviewed suitable candidates?

Precedence. Its what they've always done.
    The theory is they get a fresh bite at the brightest and best candidates on a regular basis- without any cognisance of the time, effort and expense both they and pre-existing candidates have incurred to get on the pre-existing panel.

The panels always have a strict time scale associated with them- typically 12 months, but sometimes longer- after which they lapse on a pre-determined date, regardless of any other factor- and tough luck to the candidates on the panel, they either get to apply to a new competition- or go and do whatever they'd like to do.

It dates back generations- when the theory of getting a civil service job was the golden opportunity for people- and there were few if any opportunities for people elsewhere. Obviously that is no longer the case, but PAS, as an organisation, moves at a glacial pace.

This is entirely normal.

Really? It's very disappointing to hear that getting 1st place on an AO panel may not get you a position. I'm in the top 10 and thought I had a decent shot... :(

Really? It's very disappointing to hear that getting 1st place on an AO panel may not get you a position. I'm in the top 10 and thought I had a decent shot... :(

You do have a decent shot. The order of merit moves as people are placed- someone who is at 50 today- could be at no. 1 in August. The person at no. 1 later in the competition, is in a far worse position than the person at no. 1 today. It doesn't mean that anything is guaranteed- simply, that your chances now- in a high ranking, are a hell of a lot better than your chances in a high ranking later in the competition.........

This is entirely normal.

By “got to 1st place” you mean you were next on the OOM before the panel lapsed, not that you placed 1st on the original panel, right?

ddpas wrote: »
    By “got to 1st place” you mean you were next on the OOM before the panel lapsed, not that you placed 1st on the original panel, right?

Correct. I sat on 1st place for nearly 8 months at one stage- the panel didn't move at all- and it just lapsed.

Correct. I sat on 1st place for nearly 8 months at one stage- the panel didn't move at all- and it just lapsed.

Such a shame to get so close that must’ve been hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dublinensis

Does anyone know if your place on the final panel can move down as well as up, e.g. if someone who was called for interview in a subsequent batch gets a significantly better interview score than you? I always thought not but a friend of mine who's a serving AO seemed to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pluggedout

Anyone know to what OOM they called for interview?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Does anyone know if your place on the final panel can move down as well as up, e.g. if someone who was called for interview in a subsequent batch gets a significantly better interview score than you? I always thought not but a friend of mine who's a serving AO seemed to think so.

No, this does not happen. The process is gated and your position on the OOM is fixed in relation to your batch. A person with 41/100 in every competency in Batch One will be placed higher than someone with 100/100 in every competency in Batch Three.

What The_Conductor refers to in his posts above is not, to my knowledge, how the OOM actually works. While you may be next on the panel (meaning that there is no one left ahead of you), you are not no. 1.

Advertisement