Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought the game in it's physical form but wonder if I should have bought the digital version instead, as then my son and I, on our respective Switch consoles, could enjoy the games...

I have a feeling though that the games will find there way into the Online service or eShop in another form even after the end of March...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

glasso wrote: »
    I fully agree with you that those releases (MM and OoT) were full re-workings for the 3DS.

but if it (camera right-stick) has been done before wrt an N64 3D first-party game so that part of the work could be reused / leveraged even if it was done in a full remake. If an amateur coder can make a perfectly workable x-axis camera in little time why can't a full dev house do it. Nintendo would own all the assets even if sub-contracted as it's a first-party IP.

They were ground up remakes with a brand new engine using the source code of the originals to get the physics right.

Basically the new engine facilitated the camera. It wasn't a rom hack.

And saying the code could just be reused is a gross simplification of how game development works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Just picked this up from Smyths. Work can’t finish quick enough today! I absolutely loved Galaxy on the Wii and have never played sunshine or 64 so I’m planning a weekend binge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I was kinda surprised how many people were picking up the game from Smyths Jervis tbh.

I know it won't be perfect, but it should help with a Dublin lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

R.F. wrote: »
    anyone else get delayed from GameStop online?

I know they have a bad rep but the last 3 switch games I preordered arrived a day early so wasn’t too worried about this.

Hope I get it Monday

Got a call this morning saying that delivery has been delayed. Will probably cancel and get it in Smyths, they seem to have plenty of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

IF they are sent today you'll get it tomorrow i'd assume. An Post are always next day with express even saturday. Cancelling is not going to do anything if they are sent already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    IF they are sent today you'll get it tomorrow i'd assume. An Post are always next day with express even saturday. Cancelling is not going to do anything if they are sent already.

I've got it ordered in store. GameStop have not received a single copy of the game from Nintendo yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Copy from Smyths arrived by post today. Looking forward to playing a bit over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I and the girlfriend both ordered this off of smyths when was announced she ordered hers littler bit before me and I somehow got mine yesterday and hers hasn't come yet ha.

Postman has already been around as well.
    I'll just give her mine and hopefully, another one comes asap. I have the game downloaded for my switch anyway I just want to keep a copy for collection in an unopened box.

Playing a bit of Mario 64 now controls and camera haven't aged well! Still a fun game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I and the girlfriend both ordered this off of smyths when was announced she ordered hers littler bit before me and I somehow got mine yesterday and hers hasn't come yet ha.

Postman has already been around as well.
    I'll just give her mine and hopefully, another one comes asap. I have the game downloaded for my switch anyway I just want to keep a copy for collection in an unopened box.

Playing a bit of Mario 64 now controls and camera haven't aged well! Still a fun game though.

Yup, just getting back into it. The camera is frustrating alright! Not terrible, but things have moved on considerably, and stopping to refocus does take the momentum out. There's nothing wrong per se, it's just that games have moved on and we've gotten too used to more modern comforts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

I played a few mins on Mario 64. any one else find the C camera a bit Awkward?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Picked mine up

(ignore the last 10 seconds. :))

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They were ground up remakes with a brand new engine using the source code of the originals to get the physics right.

Basically the new engine facilitated the camera. It wasn't a rom hack.

And saying the code could just be reused is a gross simplification of how game development works.

In fairness you were not exactly "correct" on your several categorical assertions yesterday were you lol.

In any case from just the small sample size of initial reactions here you can see that perhaps they could have bothered just a little bit more on Mario 64. handheld controls on Galaxy not up to scratch either.

they are very good games as I said but actually Nintendo did not do them justice here by not bothering to put their best foot forward- which is a disappointing dis-service to the games really.

It's nice for people to have them on switch but it can't be said that a better job couldn't have been done
    Playing a bit of Mario 64 now controls and camera haven't aged well!
    chrislad wrote: »
    Yup, just getting back into it. The camera is frustrating alright!
    I played a few mins on Mario 64. any one else find the C camera a bit Awkward?
    I've only played Super Mario 64 so far.

It's great fun. Brings me right back. Some niggles that are clearly due to the advance in tech
    McFly85 wrote: »
    Just did the first few stars of Galaxy, The controls in handheld are understandably slightly annoying at times but I think will be fine after some getting used to-but I do plan to use the TV for it when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

R.F. wrote: »
    anyone else get delayed from GameStop online?

I know they have a bad rep but the last 3 switch games I preordered arrived a day early so wasn’t too worried about this.

Hope I get it Monday

Got the email Thursday lunchtime that they were being delayed, Gamestop gone to ****e altogether, pre-ordered Deadly Premonition 2 and on the Thursday evening before launch got an email that they weren't getting any copies and they refunded me, no wonder they are going out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Would be interesting to see who out of those who complained is playing it handheld vs docked, and also who is using pro controller etc.

Havent turned it on yet myself, but a friend has told me that it's much better docked with the pro controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In fairness you were not exactly "correct" on your several categorical assertions yesterday were you lol.

You not accepting them and not understanding game development doesn't make them incorrect.

You not accepting them and not understanding game development doesn't make them incorrect.

lol for one you said that it took the x-axis rom hack guy ages but he did it in 100 lines of code which was just re-assigning input values and he said that it was easy in his video.
    Amateur hackers took years to implement that hack

And you can take a pretty good guess that the second analogue hack took a huge amount of time and effort going by the hackers notes and also how long it actually took to be released and how much of a bodge job it had to be to get working

hackers notes lol - completely made up

lol for one you said that it took the x-axis rom hack guy ages but he did it in 100 lines of code which was just re-assigning input values and he said that it was easy in his video.

hackers notes lol - completely made up

I already explained that 100 lines of code could take a long time to write. And said 100 lines of code were probably reduced down from an initial project to make it more efficient.

And yes hackers notes. The hacker has detailed the development on Github. Loads of interesting information there about the process.

Game development and hacking isn't as easy or simple as you think.

I already explained that 100 lines of code could take a long time to write. And said 100 lines of code were probably reduced down from an initial project to make it more efficient.

And yes hackers notes. The hacker has detailed the development on Github. Loads of interesting information there about the process.

Game development and hacking isn't as easy or simple as you think.

the developer himself, in the youtube video went through it as a trivial exercise involving re-assigning input values which is just swapping coordinates around into different variables - no "AI Engine" required!

You're looking at a different piece of work on github btw, not the guy I referenced with short piece of code. as he said here "It was that simple the whole time"
    https://youtu.be/85cvMzz8HUI?t=73

in any case, MOVING ON - the proof is in the pudding on Nintendo's offering here - very good games of course but not brought together with the effort they should have been provided with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My God, can we just get over this issue PLEASE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I gave Mario Sunshine and Galaxy a quick spin too.

Sunshine plays and looks great - though I miss the long, crouch jump!

I played Galaxy on both handheld and tabletop mode. Detached controllers definitely better, so I may go docked for this one. Handheld isn't bad, but you're basically removing the star bits and their use in this mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How does the lack of analogue FLUDD control affect the game?
    I can't wait to play Sunshine through, I got stuck the first time, some 18 years ago!

God, but there is so much amazing content is this compilation, can't wait to play it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Forgot I had this ordered with Smyths. Kinda in two minds about picking it up.

Might keep it sealed for a while while I play Bloodstained.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    How does the lack of analogue FLUDD control affect the game?

Just gives you much finer controls. With analogue you can adjust if you over shoot by letting off on the trigger. without it you have to awkwardly move or reposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

chrislad wrote: »
    Yup, just getting back into it. The camera is frustrating alright! Not terrible, but things have moved on considerably, and stopping to refocus does take the momentum out. There's nothing wrong per se, it's just that games have moved on and we've gotten too used to more modern comforts!
    I remember when it came out that the camera was seen as revolutionary because it worked so much better than other 3D games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

It's nice to have this, picked up from Smyths. But the camera in 64 is kind of ruining the fun for me now.

Edit: I see this has already been discussed.

fifth wrote: »
    It's nice to have this, picked up from Smyths. But the camera in 64 is kind of ruining the fun for me now.

Edit: I see this has already been discussed.

it's laughably bad unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's shocking that they've charged full price for this to be honest. Compared to the Crash and Spyro collections this is rubbish.

Honestly, spent an hour with SM64 and the camera didn't bother me at all.
    And I'm as bored of the camera talk as everyone else.

The conversation is boring everyone, I believe.
    So, by all means, make a new thread on the SM3DAllstars camera and discuss it there, insulated from everyone else who is actually enjoying the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Did you buy the game and play it?

Advertisement