Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Graham wrote: »
    I don't think that's an entirely accurate summary.

525857.jpg

I think it is. Did you read the whole room analogy I put up there to try and describe a city and how pandemics and plagues have always hit them worse than sparsely populated areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I can only go by my experience living in Dublin and travelling South, West, North West, the Midlands and Northern Ireland. Outside Dublin I'm seeing no masks in local shops, no sanitiser or empty containers in shops and no trolly wiping facilities. We actually got laughed at for wearing masks in Donegal.

Where in donegal was that? Seems like fiction

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think it is. Did you read the whole room analogy I put up there to try and describe a city and how pandemics and plagues have always hit them worse than sparsely populated areas?

Dublin 67.8
    Cork 7.2

Added:
    I'm not suggesting population density isn't a factor. It does mean denser populated areas need to be even more vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A couple of voluntary measures around social mixing from the Dublin population along with postponing pub and college openings (online only) for a couple of weeks would go a long way to slowing new infections and avoid mandatory measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I can only go by my experience living in Dublin and travelling South, West, North West, the Midlands and Northern Ireland. Outside Dublin I'm seeing no masks in local shops, no sanitiser or empty containers in shops and no trolly wiping facilities. We actually got laughed at for wearing masks in Donegal.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    So I've been in Wexford, meath and sligo in the past month. All of the above was not the case.

In the last month I was in Kerry, Cork and Galway and every business I entered had sanitisers, masks and wipe down facilities (where applicable) as well as people at shop doors keeping control of numbers in store. One shop in Donegal isn't a fair representation of the effort people are putting in to doing their bit and protecting the population.

• Advertisement

Thats bull$h!t if you think people outside of Dublin are not wearing masks in local shops,shops not providing hand sanitisers etc

Where in donegal was that? Seems like fiction

Donegal town. True story. It was before masks were mandatory, but we were wearing them because we're very vigilant and we got sniggered at.
    Dublin 67.8
    Cork 7.2

Added:
    I'm not suggesting population density isn't a factor. It does mean denser populated areas need to be even more vigilant.

Cork county is very big with much less people. Dublin County is small with much more people
    WrenBoy wrote: »
    In the last month I was in Kerry, Cork and Galway and every business I entered had sanitisers, masks and wipe down facilities (where applicable) as well as people at shop doors keeping control of numbers in store. One shop in Donegal isn't a fair representation of the effort people are putting in to doing their bit and protecting the population.

I expected someone to come on and have the EXACT opposite experience I had in the EXACT same areas. That's the internet for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dublin 67.8
    Cork 7.2

Added:

Vigilant for what? A virus that doesn't kill the vast majority of people. Indeed many of those infected may not even know they have it. What is IS killing is employment, mental health and social interactions, and the wider economy.

6 months later the virus has killed less than 2000 people, most of those elderly and with serious underlying issues. That's genuinely sad and I'm sorry for their families but that was also not unexpected given this is a pandemic right? People will die.

<2000 deaths out of 30,000 cases in a country of 5,000,000 is a tiny amount and that is a GREAT THING. Rather than continue to panic and scare people because "new cases are up", we should be focusing on the OUTCOME of those cases - which is that very, VERY few are getting sick to the point of needing an ICU bed or hospitalisation at all, and even fewer are dying.

Perspective and proportional response. Two things that have been lost in the daily dose of fear and selective number quoting in the media and news, but which we BADLY need to find again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have seen good compliance with masks but one issue I personally have is shops insist you use their hand sanitiser. I have skin issues so I prefer to use my own because I know it’s good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

nthclare wrote: »
    Some will have the privelage to travel West and put their feet up in their holiday homes...

Yes indeed. I'm all for people being able to enjoy the fruits of their labours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Advertising campaign kicked off today with specific focus on Dublin and Limerick. Looks like it'll be as expected people asked to reduce contacts rather than other measures.

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon/status/1303962435871805442?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

emo72 wrote: »
    Lock downs are pointless unless you seal yourself off from the rest of the world. It's only pause. You will always end back at the beginning again. Insanity.

Yeah you can’t justify a lockdown when the country is completely open. And even being really strict about quarantining everyone getting off a plane isn’t sustainable as NZ still got cases after doing this. Plus we have no control over telling NI what they can and can’t do with their airports and ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That ad is ridiculous - fear and scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Vigilant for what? A virus that doesn't kill the vast majority of people. Indeed many of those infected may not even know they have it. What is IS killing is employment, mental health and social interactions, and the wider economy.

6 months later the virus has killed less than 2000 people, most of those elderly and with serious underlying issues. That's genuinely sad and I'm sorry for their families but that was also not unexpected given this is a pandemic right? People will die.

<2000 deaths out of 30,000 cases in a country of 5,000,000 is a tiny amount and that is a GREAT THING. Rather than continue to panic and scare people because "new cases are up", we should be focusing on the OUTCOME of those cases - which is that very, VERY few are getting sick to the point of needing an ICU bed or hospitalisation at all, and even fewer are dying.

Perspective and proportional response. Two things that have been lost in the daily dose of fear and selective number quoting in the media and news, but which we BADLY need to find again.

It's not the deaths, it's the potential increased admissions and pressures on the health system that are the risk. Most of the current cases are in the under 45s but they have seen an increase in the older age groups. That's where the real concern is in terms of public health, not allowing it to return to those older groups, where it will up hospital cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That ad is ridiculous - fear and scaremongering.
    That's what you get when people roll their eyes at #Hold the line and #We're all in this together! Some people understand explanations, others need threats and unfortunately a level of fear.

Thats bull$h!t if you think people outside of Dublin are not wearing masks in local shops,shops not providing hand sanitisers etc

I must have been seeing things then Saviola. :rolleyes:

<2000 deaths out of 30,000 cases in a country of 5,000,000 is a tiny amount and that is a GREAT THING.

2,000 deaths is a 'GREAT THING'?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lockdowns don’t work. All they do is press pause and the same issues happen once the lockdown is lifted. See NZ, etc.

Pointless exercise in screwing the economy.

They work, they flatten the curve. Allow the health services and staff to breathe... people to remain well.

Yes issues repeat but at least lockdown provides breathing room so coping is possible... imagine this country NOW had we not had lockdown ? We could be looking at a scenario of failing hospitals, five times the deaths, law and order gone to fûck. The statistics are there to back this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

2,000 deaths is a 'GREAT THING'?
    In the context of what happened elsewhere, and the age profile of the deaths, yes.

Advertising campaign kicked off today with specific focus on Dublin and Limerick. Looks like it'll be as expected people asked to reduce contacts rather than other measures.

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon/status/1303962435871805442?s=19

This reminds me of when I used to manage in a call centre. We used to send out Productivity reports to try to shame people into taking more calls. :D

I spent a long time arguing to senior management that it was a flawed approach. Often times there was very valid reasons why 1 person appeared less productive.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    In the context of what happened elsewhere, and the age profile of the deaths, yes.

We must be doing something right :)

Donegal town. True story. It was before masks were mandatory, but we were wearing them because we're very vigilant and we got sniggered at.

You omitted that key piece of information in your first post and made it appear like Donegal was the wild west after mandatory introduction of masks.

I have observed 100% compliance with mask wearing since it became mandatory as has everyone else.

We all sniggered at mask wearers a couple of months ago.

Its in Dubs own interests to voluntarily comply with health advice about reducing social contacts.

If they ignore it now its likely NPHET will come back with something stronger in a month or two such as closing everything down. And no-one wants that.

Its in Dubs own interests to voluntarily comply with health advice about reducing social contacts.

If they ignore it now its likely NPHET will come back with something stronger in a month or two such as closing everything down. And no-one wants that.

Kind of difficult when the airport remains open and people from all over the world are arriving in.
    And when thousands travel in from all over the country each morning for work.
    And having a number of large hospitals and maternity hospitals that lots of people are in and visitors etc.

Kind of difficult when the airport remains open and people from all over the world are arriving in.

:confused:

Planes landing at Dublin airport somehow stop you washing your hands, social distancing and wearing a mask?

I must have been seeing things then Saviola. :rolleyes:

Why didnt you mention in your original comment that this was before face masks were made mandatory. People were told months ago by the government that they didnt need to wear face masks and then 5 months into the pandemic they changed there mind. Everyone now are wearing them in shops and if you tell me anything different then your talking through your hole

And when thousands travel in from all over the country each morning for work.
    And having a number of large hospitals and maternity hospitals that lots of people are in and visitors etc.

6 months in and it feels like people still don't know the difference between essential and non essential activities.

As I said visiting hospital or going to work is essential.

Going to or from Dublin for a baptism party, a golfing weekend, a weekend away, a social visit to a relative, etc is not essential. Flying to the UK for work is essential. Flying to the UK for a weekend break in London for shopping is not essential. Flying to the Canaries or Ibiza to celebrate the Leaving results is not essential.

Time for NPHET to publish what is essential and non essential. So people can reduce their non essential social activities.

:confused:

Planes landing at Dublin airport somehow stop you washing your hands, social distancing and wearing a mask?

Of course not but it is silly to suggest that Dublin case numbers are just down to people from Dublin.

There are flights coming in from all over the world and people coming in each morning for work from all over the country.

Lockdown the airport and stop everyone from entering Dublin and I bet the numbers go down. But it is not feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Of course not but it is silly to suggest that Dublin case numbers are just down to people from Dublin.

There are flights coming in from all over the world and people coming in each morning for work from all over the country.

Lockdown the airport and stop everyone from entering Dublin and I bet the numbers go down. But it is not feasible.

NPHET has already stated that only 2% of cases are from travel. Your argument is not feasible.

• Advertisement

Again the reality does not support your assertions.

Advertisement