Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Tork wrote: »
    So if you are ever to have open surgery, you will request that you're operated on by a young surgeon who hasn't had their brains addled due to long-term oxygen deprivation brought on by mask wearing? And you'll also want them to leave their masks off while they operate on you?

Its a known job hazard for Brain Surgeons.
    After a year of mask wearing they're useless. :-D :-D :-D
    (Joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

If OR's aren't oxygen enriched currently, why would they be trying to reduce the levels? :rolleyes:

They're not, ventilation systems in OR's are designed to prevent that from happening.

Surgical theatres are kept at positive pressure using outside air that's been filtered (like you're breathing now, probably through your mouth).

There are regular air changes to reduce risks associated with the gases used, such as anaesthetic gases, oxygen for the patient (it's very burny), and fumes that can be generated during surgery (cauterising, cutting bone, etc.).

So "oxygen enriched" is one of the things they want to avoid in that environment.

I'll include one of these cos you love em so much :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If OR's aren't oxygen enriched currently, why would they be trying to reduce the levels? :rolleyes:
    Are you being wilfully obtuse, on a wind up, or... well I'll try to be courteous and let's just say I truly hope you're on a wind up.

Maybe you missed the part about extraneous O2 coming from sources for the patient? They're not deliberately enriched for the purpose of supplying the surgical team because of any risk of masks reducing their oxygen levels. Understand now? If not I really don't know what to say to make it any more dumbed down.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Visting somewhere that required me to ump up my protection so I purcahsed a KN95 being advertsied as non-medical for 1 euro. That is by far the cheapest KN95's have ever been in Ireland. There is no price gauging at play in the market.

It passed GB2626-2006 and as I had to wear it I can confirm it is high grade. I will take it apart once it reaches it's lifespan just to reaffirm my evaluation. I didn't wear googles but I sure as hell was squinting once in a while ;) It wasn't super hairy otherwise I would have googled up.

Afterthought was if your eyes are dry, use eye drops to keep them lubed, less chance of virus sticking??

Great to be able to grab such a high grade mask when required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Advertisement

Reusable transparent N95 class respirator with better breathing comfort. Undergoing certification at the moment.

https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/article/czech-innovators-create-internationally-acclaimed-transparent-respirator-to-fight-covid-19-covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Reusable transparent N95 class respirator with better breathing comfort. Undergoing certification at the moment.

https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/article/czech-innovators-create-internationally-acclaimed-transparent-respirator-to-fight-covid-19-covid19

That's a cumbersome looking piece of kit.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's a cumbersome looking piece of kit.

Looks a bit, but I can imagine it's still gonna be pretty lightweight.

Been a big fan of mask innovators since pandemic kicked off. I wonder if the clear masks inpede hearing just as the visor's do/did. Has anyone on boards spoken with anyone wearing any of the clear masks?

XPRIZE announced their 5 finalist teams for the 1million mask comp, but hell if I can find a decent design amongst them, the whole affair seems to be cautiously secretive and over the top brandy/quite legal looking, sharks closing in on a market....

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    The hand sanitation is overly hyped as I understand transmission from fomite is minimal.

Concentration should be given to increase ventilation in congested indoor environments to reduce aerosol airborne transmission which is a serious worry. Shopping centre and shop doors and windows kept shut is non sensical

Why the hell are hand dryers still allowed. They increase aerosol transmission.

Here's a rough breakdown of the WHO Infection Prevention and Control Research and Development Expert Group for COVID-19 who are in charge of determining transmission in terms of their specialties:

6 anti-microbial
    4 hand hygiene
    1 epi
    1 social scientist
    1 water-borne epi
    1 multidrug-resistant
    1 infection control in hospitals.

Not one single Aerosol scientist/expert.

• Advertisement

An Irish medical technology company working in collaboration with the Defence Forces has developed a spray for washable masks that will provide near complete protection from the Covid-19 virus.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/irish-company-develops-groundbreaking-covid-spray-that-will-provide-near-complete-protection-39717080.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

NPHET says visors are useless and HSE going against their advice. HSE saying visors are ok to wear if somebody is upset wearing a face masks. There's alot of people upset wearing face masks. Useless shower of fcukers those in the HSE.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hse-says-visors-may-be-an-alternative-to-masks-in-some-circumstances-1.4402310?mode=amp

I know this is outdated info, but anyway worth of watching, when it comes to resources.

https://www.childrenshospital.org/research/departments-divisions-programs/departments/surgery/surgical-innovation-fellowship

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Do your own test. Put on a mask use an oximeter. Many many Drs have done this online, easily proven.

I wasn't talking about that oxygen thing.

Today's IT article Face masks, which are best and which are best avoided started so promising.

Drummy201 sums it up best in the comments.

How about some properly researched peer reviewed scientific opinion into the effectiveness of masks, rather than the comments of Nurse Quigley who may as well be Dr Google. It exists ,you know, if only you had the courage to print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭moonage

The mask mandate expired today, 9th of November, and as far as I can see hasn't been extended. I don't see any new Statutory Instruments.

But here it says they're in place until 9th of June 2021:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html#

They shouldn't be mandatory at all, let alone till next summer(if true).

But I suppose they have to keep the fear levels high and they use masks as contant reminders that a deadly plague is sweeping the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Tork

Oh for God's sake give that tinfoil hat claptrap a rest. I suppose you think the news of a possible vaccine is a conspiracy as well. Fear my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

moonage wrote: »
    But I suppose they have to keep the fear levels high and they use masks as contant reminders that a deadly plague is sweeping the land.

If they didn't read any news media, didn't notice the closed pubs, restaurants, hairdressers, shops, bookies, hand sanitisers everywhere, they probably wouldn't notice the masks either. Probably living outside of civilised society somewhere as a hermit, self-sufficient so don't need to be getting a bus or visiting a shop in any event. You know the sort.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Seanergy wrote: »
    Today's IT article Face masks, which are best and which are best avoided started so promising.
    <...>
    So, I went on to read which one is the flimsiest, barely there and got nothing! Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

The mask mandate expired today, 9th of November, and as far as I can see hasn't been extended. I don't see any new Statutory Instruments.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html#

Mehaill Martin. Is he crazy? He Insanely truly believes that this country is an adjunct State of u.s.a.
    And if you disagree with any weird driver - you may have to be able to quote 'exactly' such Statutory Instrument, or pay E2500.00.

so far, I have not checked the Tracey O'Mahoney, Barrister, website. But now I will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone got a snotty nose at this time of year?! Not a happy mix with a mask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Anyone got a snotty nose at this time of year?! Not a happy mix with a mask.

At least the mask will hide your snotty nose. It's a win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Which it is. I’ve a death certificate here to show it.

That doesn't suit the narrative of these wannabe rebels who like to bang on about "the fear" and "hysteria".

The news that there may be a vaccine on the horizon won't stop these idiots who have an axe to grind and prefer to regurgitate every crackpot malcontent theory they've seen on Facebook. Nobody likes wearing masks but they're a better alternative to what we're currently going through. Being restricted to 5km of your home, meeting garda checkpoints if you go for a drive and half the shops in the country closed is the price we're paying for people not doing what was asked of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seekers

Most of the group a who spread the virus are still going. Another round of GAA matches every weekend. NPHET had to get on to croke park to reign in the celebrating clubs. They did but not before a very high profile weekend of celebrations

That doesn't suit the narrative of these wannabe rebels who like to bang on about "the fear" and "hysteria".

The news that there may be a vaccine on the horizon won't stop these idiots who have an axe to grind and prefer to regurgitate every crackpot malcontent theory they've seen on Facebook. Nobody likes wearing masks but they're a better alternative to what we're currently going through. Being restricted to 5km of your home, meeting garda checkpoints if you go for a drive and half the shops in the country closed is the price we're paying for people not doing what was asked of them.

Your tone suggests that this may not get through to you, but I dont believe in this 'people not doing their thing' line. Yes some won't but no way is it that many that its 'their fault' the numbers rose. Numbers rose because we were opening up. I see virtually no one without a mask since August.

I think its just a knee jerk reaction from you and others tbh. Something is not the way we want it to be so it has to be someone's fault. It may be a natural reaction to some but I dont buy it.

Schools are back many work places are back and we're out and about - or we were I should say. Also lets face it (ding ding) masks aren t really that effective apparently. So numbers go up. It doesnt have to be anyone's fault.

You and I will never agree on the masks thing. As I am blue in the face pointing out, it is just one tool for preventing the spread of it. Not a silver bullet.

You and I will never agree on the masks thing. As I am blue in the face pointing out, it is just one tool for preventing the spread of it. Not a silver bullet.

I know and I dont want to get hung up on it either. I believe the effect of masks is negligible but it may have other effects as it may people feel safer. Which could be a negative, too, if you think about it.

Anyway I might have come on a bit strong, but I really dont think it necessarily has to be someones fault in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I know and I dont want to get hung up on it either. I believe the effect of masks is negligible but it may have other effects as it may people feel safer. Which could be a negative, too, if you think about it.
    Anyway I might have come on a bit strong, but I really dont think it necessarily has to be someones fault in this case.

For this second wave phase.

People taking paracetamol and turning up for work when under the weather... in meat processing plants and even one case in nursing home.

People celebrating without regard to any restriction... eg Babylon Berlin or Cavan county final day

People coming here on hols from the States or wherever and not isolating but travelling about.

People coming back from hols in Spain etc, not isolating and sending kids straight back into schools.

People not wearing masks in buses shops who were well able to.

Sometimes it is peoples fault.

You can say the government should have been stronger with all of the above or had better supports but there is only so much government can do.

Masks I think have helped with viral load so less severe cases, and with lowering the risk for vulnerable attend appointments shops etc
    But to avoid cycles of lockdowns to me you can open up pubs etc or open up for travel but cant sustain both. Unless you actually have the resources to police the pubs and monitor travellers to ensure isolating.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

We're in Level 5 again because it has been proved people can't be trusted to take responsibility for their own actions. Everyone has stories of how the local GAA club went on the piss at the end of the season, people didn't keep their distance when they staycationed, pubs flouted the rules etc. While there are people who innocently caught and transmitted Covid-19, many didn't because they didn't give a ****. It gives you a blocked nose, so what's the big fuss? It kills off fat people and doddery old dears who were about to pop their clogs anyway. It's all feeding into a narrative where we see we aren't all in this together.

Advertisement