Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

but I really dont think it necessarily has to be someones fault in this case.

Sure it's not the CMO's fault that he waited until November to come out strongly against face shields.

Face shields have always been designed to protect the user against eye and face injuries from mechanical impact or liquid splashes.

Also lets face it (ding ding) masks aren t really that effective apparently.
    I believe the effect of masks is negligible.

DING DING and that's a knockout!

The CDC now recognize that cloth masks act as both source control and personal protection. They protect others and protect the wearer.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The HSE acknowledged airborne transmission over two weeks ago. But half arsed acknowledged it. Saying it happens in certain situations.

Absolutely bull****, they are allowing large workplaces get away with dangerous practices. Wearing visors and if you're working away in your own office, no mask because they're advice is all about distancing. But what if somebody has to go into that maskless office and they get infected.

Thought masks would be mandatory in all indoor spaces by now but nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Seanergy wrote: »
    DING DING and that's a knockout!

The CDC now recognize that cloth masks act as both source control and personal protection. They protect others and protect the wearer.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

likely and possibly, hardly scientific.

"personal protection is likely complementary and possibly synergistic". Further research is needed to expand the evidence base for the protective effect of cloth masks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

likely and possibly, hardly scientific.

"personal protection is likely complementary and possibly synergistic". Further research is needed to expand the evidence base for the protective effect of cloth masks

"CDC recommends community use of masks, specifically non-valved multi-layer cloth masks, to prevent transmission of SARS-CoV-2."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Sconsey wrote: »
    "CDC recommends community use of masks, specifically non-valved multi-layer cloth masks, to prevent transmission of SARS-CoV-2."

Have a walk outside. The majority of people using masks do use a single-layer stretchy fabric cloth mask. Another quite big group use blue surgical masks but wear it in a way that it is useless.
    The whole mask exercise is just a PR stunt so we can say we are doing something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

patnor1011 wrote: »
    The majority of people using masks do use a single-layer stretchy fabric cloth mask. Another quite big group use blue surgical masks but wear it in a way that it is useless.

I call BS.

While it was common for masks to be worn incorrectly a few months ago, I haven't seen a single occurrence of it recently.

Graham wrote: »
    I call BS.

While it was common for masks to be worn incorrectly a few months ago, I haven't seen a single occurrence of it recently.

I still see people wearing masks wrong. Seen two people this week with their masks under their nose. Alot less than it used to be. But still out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Have a walk outside. The majority of people using masks do use a single-layer stretchy fabric cloth mask. Another quite big group use blue surgical masks but wear it in a way that it is useless.
    The whole mask exercise is just a PR stunt so we can say we are doing something.

There are a multitude of different types of single/double/triple layer masks in use, in various combinations of cotton/polycotton/polyester/elastane (and no doubt other materials, i'm not familiar with all of them).

When did broad generalisations or a "walk outside" become the method of gauging the effectiveness of anything? Have you ever questioned any possible biases you may have when witnessing the "big groups" and "majority of people" you've mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is there anywhere to report someone not wearing a mask when they should be and if so where? I actually think Crimecall should take any pictures of people doing this and fine them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Haha! G’way outta that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

AMKC wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to report someone not wearing a mask when they should be and if so where? I actually think Crimecall should take any pictures of people doing this and fine them.

I needed a laugh :D

saneman wrote: »
    There are a multitude of different types of single/double/triple layer masks in use, in various combinations of cotton/polycotton/polyester/elastane (and no doubt other materials, i'm not familiar with all of them).

When did broad generalisations or a "walk outside" become the method of gauging the effectiveness of anything? Have you ever questioned any possible biases you may have when witnessing the "big groups" and "majority of people" you've mentioned?

While undoubtedly there is a multitude of them difference is easy to spot. That is if you know what to look for.
    Some people may spend more to get "proper" mask but majority of people do use it only because they are required to do so and they go for cheapest variety which is just a cut-out stretchy fabric good for couple uses after which they pretty much tear apart as they have not sewn edges. This 1 euro variety from discount shops.

"Walk outside" is a quite good method of gauging the effectiveness providing you have ability to see and analyze what you see. If you are still in doubt just go to your local tesco or dunnes.

I call BS.

I do not know. Maybe you are lucky or maybe you only see what you want to see.
    I do use bus commuting to work and back and out of 5-6 drivers I regularly see only one is wearing it correctly, 2 have it under their noses and 2 do not even bother.

It is not about what I want to see or you want to see. Go ahead and watch RTE whe they talk to people on the street. 9 out of 10 people with what we call blue surgical mask do wear them incorrectly. It is right there on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is not about what I want to see or you want to see. Go ahead and watch RTE whe they talk to people on the street. 9 out of 10 people with what we call blue surgical mask do wear them incorrectly. It is right there on the telly.

First it was a walk outside now it is turn on RTE... people arent even required to wear masks outside and this is what you are extrapolating to that almost everyone is wearing masks wrong.
    What next I wonder.
    Your posts are getting less credible by the hour.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I call BS.

I have to disagree Graham. I did the grocery shop this morning and there were several people wearing masks below their noses. I hate to stereotype, as I'm a pensioner myself, but the majority wearing them wrong were older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I still see people wearing masks wrong. Seen two people this week with their masks under their nose. Alot less than it used to be. But still out there.

I seen two people today doing it wrong and it gets me angry. They are lucky I do not own a gun. That's all I will say.
    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I have to disagree Graham. I did the grocery shop this morning and there were several people wearing masks below their noses. I hate to stereotype, as I'm a pensioner myself, but the majority wearing them wrong were older people.

The two I seen today were in there late 20s early 30s. I wonder would the garda be interested in them not doing it right. Selfish thick people both of them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

AMKC wrote: »
    I seen two people today doing it wrong and it gets me angry. They are lucky I do not own a gun. That's all I will say.

The two I seen today were in there late 20s early 30s. I wonder would the garda be interested in them not doing it right. Selfish thick people both of them.

You should take anger management classes maybe. In any case you are overreacting massively. The difference masks worn or not worn or worn incorrectly made to your personal risk today or to those around you is absolutely tiny like microscopical if existent at all. Relax.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    First it was a walk outside now it is turn on RTE... people arent even required to wear masks outside and this is what you are extrapolating to that almost everyone is wearing masks wrong.
    What next I wonder.
    Your posts are getting less credible by the hour.

Sorry, I did not realize you are one of those who require full manual.

"walk outside" is not literally walking under the blue or gray sky but outside of your house. As far as I know they are required in shops or busses. Graham said he did not see anyone wearing it incorrectly so all he or anyone else needs to do to spot this "unicorn" is to watch RTE news.
    It is you who are extrapolating based on your own interpretation what "outside" means when taken out of context.

You should take anger management classes maybe. In any case you are overreacting massively. The difference masks worn or not worn or worn incorrectly made to your personal risk today or to those around you is absolutely tiny like microscopical if existent at all. Relax.

They're not overreacting at all. It's very selfish not to wear masks properly. You can still spread covid by just breathing and wearing masks under the nose is so wrong. Saw someone walk down a long aisle of a shop with their face mask under their nose. You have to treat everyone as if they are infected and they were just breathing covid particles walking down the aisle and infecting others that follow. It's better breathing into the mask instead of letting it all out. It's highly selfish of people and not a complete over reaction. Those idiots are taking precious oxygen for themselves but have no problem putting others onto a ventilator.

• Advertisement

They're not overreacting at all. It's very selfish not to wear masks properly. You can still spread covid by just breathing and wearing masks under the nose is so wrong. Saw someone walk down a long aisle of a shop with their face mask under their nose. You have to treat everyone as if they are infected and they were just breathing covid particles walking down the aisle and infecting others that follow. It's better breathing into the mask instead of letting it all out. It's highly selfish of people and not a complete over reaction. Those idiots are taking precious oxygen for themselves but have no problem putting others onto a ventilator.

Maybe these people are exempt from wearing masks but still, put on one if just for appearance sake to be spared from the hate of the mask vigilantes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ah would you get a grip

Maybe these people are exempt from wearing masks but still, put on one if just for appearance sake to be spared from the hate of the mask vigilantes?

If you're going to put on a mask, they should wear it properly. Not make up things for themselves and feel they exempt so feel they can wear it wrong.

It's highly selfish behaviour. Can't believe nothing is done about them. I'd rather see a maskless person, at least they aren't hiding their complete selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

user name checks out. you must have heard that line a lot over the last few months.

If you're going to put on a mask, they should wear it properly. Not make up things for themselves and feel they exempt so feel they can wear it wrong.

It's highly selfish behaviour. Can't believe nothing is done about them. I'd rather see a maskless person, at least they aren't hiding their complete selfishness.

You seriously need some help.

This is exactly what I was pointing out when the first mask requirements appeared. That people like you are completely oblivious to the simple fact that some people are exempt from using them and they then direct their hate towards everyone who does not cover from head to toe.
    This is an unhealthy behavior constantly moaning about "selfishness" when one can argue that it is you who is selfish - based on your daily complaining about how someone somewhere does not wear a mask.

I can't wear a mask but I do put one on as I am tired of fairies staring at me in shops when I do not have it on. If I have it longer I pull it under my nose still a better compromise for me than going around without one.
    This browbeating and peer pressure are what make the whole situation worse. People who instead of focusing on their own life and problems finding escape by sticking their nose in other people's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Wanting to shoot, SHOOT, people for not wearing a mask properly is not overreacting?? Fkin hell, the maskers have lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You seriously need some help.
    This is exactly what I was pointing out when the first mask requirements appeared. That people like you are completely oblivious to the simple fact that some people are exempt from using them and they then direct their hate towards everyone who does not cover from head to toe.
    This is an unhealthy behavior constantly moaning about "selfishness" when one can argue that it is you who is selfish - based on your daily complaining about how someone somewhere does not wear a mask.
    I can't wear a mask but I do put one on as I am tired of fairies staring at me in shops when I do not have it on. If I have it longer I pull it under my nose still a better compromise for me than going around without one.
    This browbeating and peer pressure are what make the whole situation worse. People who instead of focusing on their own life and problems finding escape by sticking their nose in other people's lives.

They aren't sticking their nose into other people's lives though.
    It relates to conduct in a public place.
    You are the one sticking your nose in their face, or rather the output of your nose.

There should be peer pressure to wear a mask, as well as regulations governing same. Both have a role to play as they did in for example, reducing drink driving or smoking in public places or increasing use of seatbelts.
    How do you feel about people abusing the disabled parking spots? They are subject to the same scrutiny, but if you have legit reason to park there you park there and the scrutiny is like water off a duck's back.

If you have a legitimate reason not to wear a mask, such pressure shouldn't bother you. If it has 'inspired' you to wear a mask to the best of your tolerance well good for them and fair play to you.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LAZYIRISH

Wanting to shoot, SHOOT, people for not wearing a mask properly is not overreacting?? Fkin hell, the maskers have lost it.

Little dictators everywhere! Most of them cosy living with mammy and daddy and not a bill to be worrying about.

Fkin hell, the maskers have lost it.

Stop generalising, when you do that you lose all meaning.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/thehelloface/status/1327196213649739777

This mask could just as easily be called the goodbyeface. Styled solely on transparency and liquid penetration resistance, the result of missing faces and droplet dominant transmission hype.

Spread a smile, fksake, spread the virus.

Advertisement