Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So we could have more cases. So you've just disproven the 'logic' you continually repeat on the thread.

And there's no mask that stops any virus? That's the claim you're supporting. It's a garbage claim completely without basis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Masks didn't stop the virus. If they did, we wouldn't have had 25K cases a day.

People like you have a feeling we would have had thousands of cases a day without a mandate.

Global data doesn't support it. We were ok in Ireland before we had masks and we were fine when we took them off.

The same applies to other countries. There was no correlation between mask mandates and case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But you just listed a number of cases higher than 25,000. So by your own logic you just disproved your own claim.

So you have entirely failed to substantiate this claim though you continue to repeat it like a mantra. To do so you would have to show that was the maximum number of cases we could have had. You haven't shown this. You haven't even tried. So this 'gotcha' you keep repeating is nothing of the sort and is just a like a broken record at this stage.

The poster isn't talking about "the" virus. But any virus. All strains of covid. All viruses. It is a claim completely without foundation and contradicted by every major health authority in the world.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Safe to say you don't work in any industry that uses statistics on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Advertisement

And thats why they wear masks?

I don't get what point you are making tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Do you see the difference between a surgeon operating on a patients open body for surgeries such as open heart surgery etc and hospital corridors ? Yeah ? In operating rooms it’s understandable that staff in those rooms wear masks.

Thats all I was saying to the other poster.

Is that clear now ?

hopefully

thank you

Of course I see the difference.

But what is not clear is your rationale for thinking wearing masks in hospital when there are airborne viruses believed to be circulating more than anywhere else is " laughable " ?

That is what I don't understand . They are being worn on wards but not by patients who have tested negative. And are in their own rooms etc. All staff and visitors are meant to be wearing them now, as are patients when moving from their area to another.

This is a protection measure as most people in hospital are vulnerable .

But of course there are always people who think they know more than the healthcare staff and decide they won't wear a mask when visiting.

What is laughable at this stage is the constant arguing about a measure that does not affect most people in their daily lives except when they are in a medical facility .

Thank you .

The pandemic wasn't averted. We had it here as well. It wasn't a big deal though. Huge overreaction. We did more damage than good with our silly policies.

Seems like they've finally saw sense though and have no intention of doing any of that rubbish again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Oh I see now, so when you said 'hospitals were never quieter' you meant there were certain periods when the hospitals were relatively quiet. Not during the initial Covid waves of course as the spikes in admissions are well documented. Maybe you should have said that instead of making a sweeping generalization.

• Advertisement

People don't care about masks in medical settings. We care that other people who are free to wear masks are hell bent on forcing them onto others for whatever their agenda is.

They tried this rubbish back in March and now again so hopefully they'll get bored soon.

" people don't care about masks " lol. You speak for every body now ,do you ?

The vast majority of people in medical centres comply with masks and did in other places when there was a mask mandate .

People stopped wearing them except for those who wanted to continue because it was deemed unnecessary . If it is mandated again most people would again comply . Why ? Because most people do follow what is advised whether they are totally for it or not.

Most people are happy to be relatively back to normal and want that to continue , and have more to worry about than what a union rep is asking for, among other things .

It is you and some others who are constantly on here who don't agree and say you are worried about your freedoms .

Who is " forcing " anybody ? Am laughing again here .

Go live your life and forget about what may or may not happen . If it happens deal with it then

This thread is losing an entire sense of perspective.

You are " losing your freedoms " posting every day here and getting upset and angry at people you have never met.

Entirely your choice of course , and you are " free " to do that ..

Certainly what you said there is misinformation.

The poster you're accusing of 'bluster' is one of the few actually providing data and proof here .

Do you really need me to answer why people would wear masks if they were mandated by law with fines and other punishments for not wearing one.....?

The Taoiseach and CMO both advised people to wear masks. People are not wearing them because they don't want to.

People are not fools. They don't need a man on the TV to tell them when to wear a mask or not. If they wanted to they would.

You don't need laws to force people to do what they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

What proof? Our own health minister can't provide adequate information. His "oodles of data" consisted of a NPHET minutes dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Not sure what you are giving out about, the post appears to have been deleted. If you are looking for proof that mask wearing had an impact on the infection numbers you probably won't get it since there are too many variables when looking at national infection numbers. But if you you are suggesting that proper mask wearing does not reduce the risk of transmission then you are ignoring the wealth of scientific evidence that is freely available.

You can use some statement from the health minister as the foundation of your argument, I will stick with the global scientific community, medical experts and documented research.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

All the mask talk gone quiet now

The INMO leadership don't seem to have any real ideas to put forward .They seem to be in the business of making noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭jackboy

The government and HSE are riding it out. Numbers will decrease naturally in the next few weeks, like they do every year. Whatever peoples opinion on masks, it is far too late for them now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I see your original spit is now "spit" with fragments.

I'm amazed by your word game for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

This kind of posters are always hiding behind the masses. Not a leg to stand on, but it's always "we" , "most of the people", "vast vast majority" shíte rhetorics. Just a simple tactics to get more buy ins without knowing anything (topic related I mean, or using the topic to reach some fantasy goals), or look like a "knowledgeable" I guess. It's not exclusively this thread only. Happens around a lot on plenty of threads here. Ability of those to express their own opinion as their own is gone. But God save your sorry ass, if you try to challenge it, or take a píss out of those posts 😁

Edit: see the post below, clear example..

Post edited by xhomelezz on

• Advertisement

Facts are facts.

The vast majority don't wear masks despite the fact the Taoiseach and CMO advised us to.

Thats because they don't want to.

I'm guessing people can see now that once again there was absolutely no need for a mask mandate. Hopefully these unions will see sense now and stop asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,991 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Germany dropping mask mandate from February, I guess they don't see the Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders Kraken varient as a threat...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Mental isn't it? Bones of a year after everyone else.

And thats only because of the FDP (liberals) in the government coalition. If it was for the Greens (also in the coalition) who deem themselves to be sole purveyors of all things virtuous it still wouldn't end.

And thats with Drosten (German Dr. Tony) saying it's long over and masks won't make a difference anymore anyway.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

When out today i saw many more people wearing masks when walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I'm in Germany the last week and have seen one in a hundred people wearing a mask outside of public transport. They wouldn't get second looks and I hope they don't feel weird wearing a mask as it is their choice. There's no COVID warnings or signs anywhere so you wouldn't even be plugged into the current threat level from COVID in Germany at all.

So even though masks are mandatory on public transport, COVID is very much over here and I think that is such a small measure that it is still okay to say that COVID is over here while that measure is still applicable for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Germany presumably doesn't have problems with the hospital's

Thankfully we held out anyway when RTE and the unions started pushing for mandates

Just 389 in hospital now and 29 in ICU now. Mad to think people were calling for mask mandates 2 weeks ago!

Hopefully they learn from this.

WHO reviewed their mask recommendation this week .

No need for mandates but sensible precautions when cases are higher , imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,991 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My local SuperValu sweets displays at the checkouts have been replaced this week by multple types of face masks and Covid tests running the entire length of the checkout, like a poor mans Boots 😁

Advertisement