Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's something I still haven't figured out. I bought a membership. Why does my credit balance always shows zero? In fairness, I've only used this sim to tether, I've never made any phone calls, but if €7.99 gives me free calls, text and 100GB data, why would I have to buy additional credit? Or is it the case that I can't make calls unless I buy a membership AND top up? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Additional credit is only required for out of bundle costs like international calls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

There's something I still haven't figured out. I bought a membership. Why does my credit balance always shows zero? In fairness, I've only used this sim to tether, I've never made any phone calls, but if €7.99 gives me free calls, text and 100GB data, why would I have to buy additional credit? Or is it the case that I can't make calls unless I buy a membership AND top up? Thanks.

Balance shown in My48, minutes and text should say unlimited.

Dial *100*2# for remaining minute balance.
    Dial *100# for remaining plan allowance balance (minutes, text, data).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone else having issues with the app and webpage now. Have signed up the OH but she can't get on to buy a membership now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peejy

I havent been able to get PTSB bank texts this week?

Has anyone else any issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

peejy wrote: »
    I havent been able to get PTSB bank texts this week?

Has anyone else any issues

For some reason I'm unable to download some messages - I thought they'd cured it with the update they sent out during the week, but still happening. I get the message, but only the first line, the rest of it is "downloading" but never does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭spakman

RandRuns wrote: »
    For some reason I'm unable to download some messages - I thought they'd cured it with the update they sent out during the week, but still happening. I get the message, but only the first line, the rest of it is "downloading" but never does.

SMS messages don't download. MMS do - check your MMS settings. Not sure 48 even support mms tbh, it's expensive and rarely used

spakman wrote: »
    SMS messages don't download. MMS do - check your MMS settings. Not sure 48 even support mms tbh, it's expensive and rarely used

You're way over my knowledge level there I'm afraid!

So the message is an mms message - possibly stupid question, but if I put credit in my account over and above my membership plan, would it then download the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭spakman

You're way over my knowledge level there I'm afraid!

So the message is an mms message - possibly stupid question, but if I put credit in my account over and above my membership plan, would it then download the message?

I'd have thought the data in your membership would allow the mms to be downloaded. But maybe it's a different apn so you might need additional credit alright because mms aren't included in the memberships.

spakman wrote: »
    I'd have thought the data in your membership would allow the mms to be downloaded. But maybe it's a different apn so you might need additional credit alright because mms aren't included in the memberships.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Yes, mms is supported by 48 and it't done over the internet, it won't cost you a cent. You have to make sure when you want to read your mms, the phone is connected to the mobile network (not your wifi) and you settings are ok in the APN.
    No extra credit needed at all!
    This:
    Internet and Picture Messaging:
    Access Point Name (APN): 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    MMSC Server: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS port: 8080

padyjoe wrote: »
    Yes, mms is supported by 48 and it't done over the internet, it won't cost you a cent. You have to make sure when you want to read your mms, the phone is connected to the mobile network (not your wifi) and you settings are ok in the APN.
    This:

I've now tried:

Changing setting to the above
    Turning off wifi
    Restarting phone
    Adding credit to account
    Restarting phone again
    Turning wifi back on

Still no joy with downloading the messager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Ooops, I have to correct myself and spakman was right: there is a charge for MMS, it's 30c each! I've never used them, so I did not know.
    All in all: if you want to do a selftest which will cost you 30c, send an mms to your number, but turn your wifi off. If you can download it, settings are ok.
    Mms could fail as well some reason, if they fail, they are lost in case if download set up properly, just can't recover them, unless resent by the other party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Could be so many things to be honest and without having the phone on front of us it's hard to troubleshoot. Do you have a necessity to send/receive MMS? Could whatsapp be used instead? Free and way more reliable.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Could be so many things to be honest and without having the phone on front of us it's hard to troubleshoot. Do you have a necessity to send/receive MMS? Could whatsapp be used instead? Free and way more reliable.

I've gone through the steps I've taken so far in a subsequent post above.

I could, but the oul lad that sends out training stuff from our GAA club is probably using a 20 year old Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭beachhead

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Balance shown in My48, minutes and text should say unlimited.

Dial *100*2# for remaining minute balance.
    Dial *100# for remaining plan allowance balance (minutes, text, data).
    *100# shows credit balance only

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Wondering does anyone know the answer to this. The Ts and Cs specify you need to purchase a membership every 6 months to keep your SIM active/keep the 7.99 price. I switched one of the kids over in September and have been "purchasing" memberships every month since then, using referral credit. Does that count as purchasing a membership or does it have to be a purchase of a membership using a card payment?

I contacted them on chat, but I don't think the agent actually understood what I was asking.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Purchasing a membership either via referral credit or card payment constitutes purchasing a membership in my eyes. I would assume that if you just didn’t get a membership for over 6 months, you would only then lose access to the 7.99 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Purchasing a membership either via referral credit or card payment constitutes purchasing a membership in my eyes. I would assume that if you just didn’t get a membership for over 6 months, you would only then lose access to the 7.99 plan.

Thanks. That was my thinking too, and I have kept an active membership on the account since the beginning (I wouldn't be allowed to get away with not topping up!). It just popped into my head for some reason earlier, and I was second guessing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭gussieg

am i imagining it , or has the month just dropped down from 30 days to 28 days? Pretty sure it was a 30 day membership before

• Advertisement

gussieg wrote: »
    am i imagining it , or has the month just dropped down from 30 days to 28 days? Pretty sure it was a 30 day membership before

It's calendar month so if you bought a membership on the 27th of Feb it will renew again on the 27th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

padyjoe wrote: »
    This:

I have the MMS settings but still getting download MMS messages sent to me today.

545331.jpg

I have the MMS settings but still getting download MMS messages sent to me today.
    Error message attached

545332.jpg

I have a credit balance of > €20 after a few referral sign-ups, so I'm not sure what else I need to do to allow it to download?

I came off WhatsApp a few weeks ago after their attempted change to privacy policy. I'm on Signal, but the sender isn't.

Error message attached

I have a credit balance of > €20 after a few referral sign-ups, so I'm not sure what else I need to do to allow it to download?

I came off WhatsApp a few weeks ago after their attempted change to privacy policy. I'm on Signal, but the sender isn't.

I have one apn set up that does both internet and mms. Try these settings. Make sure to save them and select them afterwards.

I have one apn set up that does both internet and mms. Try these settings. Make sure to save them and select them afterwards.

Brilliant, thanks. I had set up mine with the instructions from the 48 website, but there were some very small differences: username was 'user' for me, but blank for you, APN type was 'default, supl, MMS' for me, but 'default,mms,supl' for me.

I made those changes and was able to download the message.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you need to buy extra credit to receive /send MMS? If they cost, how much per message? Thanks

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Do you need to buy extra credit to receive /send MMS? If they cost, how much per message? Thanks

30c to send but free to receive as far as I know. They are not included in the membership so you would need to add credit to cover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

I'm not with Ulster bank but I see what you mean now.

https://www.ulsterbankanytimebanking.ie/default.aspx

This won't load when using 48 unless you use a vpn so it looks like UB don't like the way 48 is routing traffic or something. Would need to log that with 48 support. Enough people would use Ulster bank so they will probably fix it.

So, this was rectified for a while and worked but has stopped again for no reason. Its becoming a deal breaker for me using 48. I logged it with 48 and never got a response from them after spending an eternity trying to get it explained to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭beachhead

gussieg wrote: »

Yes,it has dropped from 30 days to 28 days.This,happened for me in Febuary.Most likely brought in quietly when rate went up to e10.99 per month.I'm on e7.99 plan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

beachhead wrote: »
    Yes,it has dropped from 30 days to 28 days.This,happened for me in Febuary.Most likely brought in quietly when rate went up to e10.99 per month.I'm on e7.99 plan
    No, it's on a calendar month basis.

If you bought a membership in February, it lasts 28 days. If you buy one this month, it lasts 31 days. Etc...

Advertisement