Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've a newish SIM, and I don't think it's supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MobileTester

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sticking with GoMo so. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PH0NER

I have a brand new SIM and 5G. No WiFi calling on my iPhone 15.

As far as I’m aware, only 3, Vodafone, Eir, and GoMo support WiFi calling. Only Eir and GoMo support WiFi Calling while outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭beachhead

It can depend on your model/make of phone.Can't answer about 48

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭flazio

iPhone 15 is the kind of model you'd expect to support it, to the point that I'd refuse to buy it if it didn't.

I seem to recall that even the regulators are trumpeting WiFi calling as legitimate coverage improvement for mobile networks. I just assumed it's getting rolled out on more networks and that 48 joining the 5g bandwidth would bring it in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Some dangerous assumptions there. Eir is the only network in Ireland to fully support WiFi calling, including text messaging and use while roaming. They launched in 2017. Vodafone didn't launch until 2019, and they still don't support text messaging or roaming. Three did a half-baked launch in 2022, but they still don't have approval on the Apple iPhone website - so it may not be working properly, to Apple's satisfaction. WiFi calling has nothing to do with 5G. It requires complex server-side integration to re-route calls and texts over fibre-based broadband, and handset manufacturers need to co-operate by including the server addresses in their handset firmware.

The MVNOs (such as 48) generally do not support WiFi Calling. The exception is GoMo, as they are really just a brand on the Eir network, and all their network features are identical to Eir. There are numerous problems with other MVNOs such as 48 and Post Mobile, which show that the network features on the host networks do not automatically get offered to the MVNO's. It probably suits the main networks to keep some goodies back for their premium customers, and the MVNOs may not want to deal with complex services for customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Im on gomo and the texting via wifi doesn't always work. Anyone else have that issue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Quick EU Roaming Data question.

On 48 if you use up your data roaming allowance (12GB in my case) is the only option to get more data having to buy the 1GB for €3 top up.

Note that I'm still "in plan" for another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sorted. Post deleted

Post edited by orm0nd on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can use some of the data you've put aside from previous months (5GB each time) with no extra charge, provided you have some. I do it every time, it's handy because it's taken out of your 'domestic' allowance but can be used while roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Assuming this is "The Safe" I see there is a 50GB total allowance. Can all of this be used in one go to top up the 10/12GB roaming allowance?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To be honest, I don't know, I've never had the need to use it all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Is anybody getting 5G on a €7.99 sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MobileTester

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AhhHere

5G is only the 12.99 deal

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I used to get it when they were setting it up, but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Don't do that , doesn't work, only counts as local data, well didn't for me or my daughters, neither does buying a new sub as it only kicks in as credit for the next month, In my experience once eu data is gone it's gone. I have a lyca mobile sim for this reason. Dual sim phone, 10 euro for 20 or 30 gigs, sign up a day before, got it cause roaming never worked. Does now mind you.

48 previously made 5G available for all customers. There may be a case to object to them now selectively degrading this just for legacy customers.

• Advertisement

Missed the 5G episode or didn't notice any real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Does anyone else still on 4G that is being throttled or reduced since the move over to 5G?

Yes i think. How can you confirm though? Is there any independent test program for example? I recommend logging a 48 fault report by email (complaints@48months.zendesk.com) and refer it to Comreg if it's not resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anyone experiencing brief (5-30 minute) 4G/mobile data dropouts, maybe 2-3 times per day? My speed drops to about 10-20KB/s during these periods. Download speeds are normal at all other times during the day.

I notice complete or almost complete loss of data around 5-6pm daily. Congestion?

Also I used normally see 4G+. Now I never see it - just 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I used to get full 4G coverage with speeds of 100mbps+, last few months I’ve noticed it jumps between 1-2 bars and speed has dropped to 10-30mbps. Small village with a 4G/5G mast about 700m away. I’m on the original €7.99 4G plan.

That's extremely high at 100mbps.I live about 200 metres from a mast and nothing like that.Always,whenever I check at your lowest range.On e7.99 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Did a test there on Fast.com. €7.99 plan, 3 bars of LTE - 210Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I noticed I had 4 bars in another spot so ran another test - 400Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭stanley1

25mbps Dublin 12

Advertisement