Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Saying you'd ask around and therefore avoid any bad medical outcomes or drug interactions / side effects etc is just nonsense.
    I have done and on more than one occasion and on more than one occasion it turned out to be prudent to do so. My mantra in such things would be never to go off on a first opinion on something that is serious, or where any therapy carries considerable risks. I've asked for second opinions from different professions and trades, I don't see why medicine should be any different. And much of that stems from growing up with a few doctors in the family advising similar.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rothko wrote: »
    I was convinced that the video was satire but apparently it's not.
    One reply for me nailed the daftness of it all.

So they "freed" and "liberated" themselves and now "they can be everything they want to be". That's why they created ****ton of different labels that they use, because that's what freedom from labels is.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    One reply for me nailed the daftness of it all.

So they "freed" and "liberated" themselves and now "they can be everything they want to be". That's why they created ****ton of different labels that they use, because that's what freedom from labels is.:D

It's not just that. There's such a bewildering amount of labels, even if we try to keep up and use the labels, making any kind of mistake is the greatest of offenses.. oddly confusing too, since people can apparently change the label that applies to them at the drop of a hat.

So flexible as to be unusable, unless you live, breathe, and whatever, this stuff. Even then, I wonder if they're merely faking understanding it all. It's such a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I see the WOKE crowd are giving about greyhound racing and animal cruelty on the Journal in today’s lets get angry topic .
    Funny how they don’t open their mouths about travellers on chariots beating horses up and down roads all over ireland on a daily basis . By far Ireland’s biggest case of animal cruelty!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So flexible as to be unusable, unless you live, breathe, and whatever, this stuff. Even then, I wonder if they're merely faking understanding it all. It's such a mess.

Case in point, demonstrated by everyone's favourite 2-spirit penguin, Piers Morgan.

https://youtu.be/vDT-Yj5n6zE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So flexible as to be unusable, unless you live, breathe, and whatever, this stuff. Even then, I wonder if they're merely faking understanding it all.

Case in point, demonstrated by everyone's favourite 2-spirit penguin, Piers Morgan.

The guy in to defend the 100 genders theory hadn't a clue what most of them were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I had a look at the latest episode for the craic and oh God, yeah, I take your point. One red headed lass appears to be on the point of tears in every scene.

Oh did you! Sorry for putting you through that : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Iv been in a similar situation much like this while visiting a friend in Holland. It was the friends of his girl friends. I tried to entertain it, but when I was outted for using the wrong pro noun and misgendering one of them, I got up and left and stayed with another mate that lived in the same city. Apparently that night I was disrespectful and aggressive....I didn't respond to their sh*te, I left without saying a word. :pac:

https://twitter.com/crimeofcupid/status/1331464791836168193

Jesus I’d walk right out of there!!!!

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I see the WOKE crowd are giving about greyhound racing and animal cruelty on the Journal in today’s lets get angry topic .
    Funny how they don’t open their mouths about travellers on chariots beating horses up and down roads all over ireland on a daily basis . By far Ireland’s biggest case of animal cruelty!

Let's just say that greyhound racing was banned as they wished... what would happen to all the dogs? Are these people volunteering to take in the current population of greyhounds, feed them, and take care of their health for the rest of their lives?

Or would they just be moving on to the next crusade as all these dogs are put to sleep? A small price to pay for.. what? Would the breed essentially fade into nothingness because they don't fulfill a role in modern society? Since they're not exactly attractive dogs.

I often wonder about these movements, and what would happen if they were successful. It seems to me that there's a rather limited aspect to their plans, and little consideration for what happens to the <insert target> afterwards.

BTW, I know absolutely nothing about greyhounds, their conditions, or racing. I'm sure there's a case for providing better care for the dogs (as there is in most industries).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Iv been in a similar situation much like this while visiting a friend in Holland. It was the friends of his girl friends. I tried to entertain it, but when I was outted for using the wrong pro noun and misgendering one of them, I got up and left and stayed with another mate that lived in the same city. Apparently that night I was disrespectful and aggressive....I didn't respond to their sh*te, I left without saying a word. :pac:

https://twitter.com/crimeofcupid/status/1331464791836168193

I get migraines pretty bad and this would bring them on. Life is too short for that hassle :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Whatever about banning greyhound racing, such a cruel and barbaric 'sport' shouldn't be propped up with public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have done and on more than one occasion and on more than one occasion it turned out to be prudent to do so. My mantra in such things would be never to go off on a first opinion on something that is serious, or where any therapy carries considerable risks. I've asked for second opinions from different professions and trades, I don't see why medicine should be any different. And much of that stems from growing up with a few doctors in the family advising similar.

That's perfectly sound advice, and i would tend to do the same thing myself, but what i'm getting at is why are you assuming he didn't?

I'd say it's a lot more likely that his problem stemmed from just sheer bad luck rather than scoring bags of blueys off some dodgey bloke he knows.

I'd say it's a lot more likely that his problem stemmed from just sheer bad luck rather than scoring bags of blueys off some dodgey bloke he knows.
    Or more local medical trends slanted towards the more pills angle. EG US doctors are far more med happy than say French doctors, or Irish. The prescribed opiate problem in America is scarily high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

.anon. wrote: »
    Whatever about banning greyhound racing, such a cruel and barbaric 'sport' shouldn't be propped up with public money.

^This.

Have nothing against it as a sport, but don't feel it should be on public money as a form of life support.

Harolds cross is gone, Limerick goes in and out of liquidation, afaik newbridge and Mullingar have been on the ropes for years.

Given all the big time advocates that have come out of the woodwork over the last few days you would think it would be a self sustaining industry given the sums of money involved with dog values, breeders and trainers. But it ain't, by a long shot.

wonder would you get away with saying that the folk shouting the loudest are probably just annoyed at 'some woman' threatening a sport they don't know anything about or even give a fuck about anyway

Yea but wharrabout the homeless Simon? Wharrabout them? why aren't they giving out about the human cruelty Simon? Pfft, worrying about dogs when there's homeless everywhere.

Are homeless now, not the foreign ones.

How much public money does on road sulky racing get every year Simon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

.anon. wrote: »

But boxing gets a pass? ( and the funding )

The funding improves the welfare of the dogs btw.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    But boxing gets a pass? ( and the funding )

The funding improves the welfare of the dogs btw.

Are boxing and greyhound racing similar? In what sense?

In my experience, the funding doesn't do any such thing - low level breeders, owners and trainers don't receive any of this money, ever - they are the ones who breed, train & thin out litters of dogs. How does the money going to IGB stop them culling slow dogs or dogs who don't take to the box?

Again, will assert that I have no particular gripe with dog racing, but also not blind to the fact that the millions of public money definitely isn't used to stop cruelty, not in a meaningful way anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Boxing one time was a sport for fit young men from all sorts of Backgrounds , Working class areas in Dublin to rural parts of Galway and Tyrone.
    Now criminal and traveller elements have taken over the sport driving out most law abiding individuals .

Boxing one time was a sport for fit young men from all sorts of Backgrounds , Working class areas in Dublin to rural parts of Galway and Tyrone.
    Now criminal and traveller elements have taken over the sport driving out most law abiding individuals .

You've not been to too many greyhound tracks have ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Or more local medical trends slanted towards the more pills angle. EG US doctors are far more med happy than say French doctors, or Irish. The prescribed opiate problem in America is scarily high.

There's truth in that of course, the american mantra is very much a pill for every ill, and it's largely down to making money for the pill makers. Our end of things is much more tightly controlled and the argument is that it's to protect public health, but i'd be quite skeptical of that, i think good old fashioned greed has a lot to do with it here too. We've just contrived to protect a different sector. As we tend not to own the pill makers, we're more concerned with lining the pockets of the pill prescribers and the pill distributors.

I have a dodgy back, i get a friend to get my diclofenac when they're in spain. I don't take much but maybe a couple of packets a year, i can get them for 5 or 6 quid over the counter from Spain, but 100 quid minimum in Dublin, because i need a note from my doctor and then the pharmacist wants their cut too. It's not about protecting health, it's more about protecting bank balances!

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/school-leggings-controversy-anatomy-of-a-social-media-firestorm-1.4419309?mode=amp

Found it interesting in this article how the IT places very little blame upon itself for these recent baseless controversies - of course the outrage begins on social media, but it is only when mainstream media outlets (such as IT) then go on to publish articles on these controversies before any actual evidence has come to light that they become crystalised.

If anything I think it’s worse by them to publish such stories without evidence (barring what agenda driven ideologues on twitter have claimed) as they ought at least be beholden to some journalistic standards.

I guess journalistic integrity and prizing the truth are just old fashioned concepts from a bygone era. They just want the juiciest spiciest story and they want it now, fact checking be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭CarProblem

This the right place to put this?

https://twitter.com/rbrowntweets/status/1331971082287505408

Not content to go with a believable number, went with 60 (fucking 60) teenagers

Anyone questioning it is of course an angry man, jealous that teenagers these days are more mature than they themselves were (I'm sure similar will be thrown at me)

For the avoidance of doubt I'm 100% of the belief this didn't happen as told. I can get they maybe encouraged her (possibly) but fuck me, it's definitely exaggerated if not completely made up

The usual attention seeking bints on social media inventing tall tales so they get a "you go girl!" from others that are similar. Thankfully they're a tiny minority in the real world, but are all over the virtual. Well they can block those who call bullsh1t.

CarProblem wrote: »

Anyone questioning it is of course an angry man, jealous that teenagers these days are more mature than they themselves were (I'm sure similar will be thrown at me)

For the avoidance of doubt I'm 100% of the belief this didn't happen as told. I can get they maybe encouraged her (possibly) but fuck me, it's definitely exaggerated if not completely made up

I'll take things that never happened for 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭CarProblem

The usual attention seeking bints on social media inventing tall tales so they get a "you go girl!" from others that are similar. Thankfully they're a tiny minority in the real world, but are all over the virtual. Well they can block those who call bullsh1t.

In a nutshell - the bit in bold is 100% correct

DJcgkPQ7.jpg

On the greyhound racing, what do you think happens the dogs every couple of years as it is? If it were banned (which I'm not particularly fussed about either way) then within a couple of years there'd be a lot fewer dogs being destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Some of the comments are "Why would she make it up?", for the likes, clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Well, she is a 'maker of things' according to herself.

• Advertisement

DJcgkPQ7.jpg
    There are a fair few women working in F1 teams, but my digging has yet to find a chief mechanic among them.

Though the pic does have a point as I've personally seen women being ignored in favour of an attendant bloke by mechanics. Not as often as some would suggest, but it can happen alright. Though these days where few enough men work on their cars they way they did(and had to) both genders tend to be in the dark mechanically. On the other hand car sales types when faced with a couple will tend to concentrate more on the woman because they're usually the ones making the decisions on large household purchases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement