Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

“He is an icon of hate speech and transphobia and the fact that he’s an icon of white supremacy, regardless of the content of his book, I’m not proud to work for a company that publishes him,” a junior employee who is a member of the LGBTQ community and who attended the town hall told VICE World News.

So nutty.
    Yup and there's plenty of similar right here on grand ol' boards.ie who would totes back this insanity.

Every single word in that piece quoted a few posts up is a statement of where uber coddled *'members of communities' demand our society go - count me out.
    Authoritarianism and coercion doesn't appeal to me.

Neither does the insta-gratification of claiming victimhood, claiming to shed tears as proof, claiming to speak on behalf of everyone in the 'community', claiming emotions override freedom about everything that may cause others to use their noggin.

*extreme religious doctrine 101 - casting out and shunning and 'shaming' non-believers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

wokeism of the day.....any episode of Star Trek Discovery. A black female named Michael, a female gay engineeer, a male gay engineer, his doctor gay partner and a trans person carrying a symbiot inside itself. they're so busy being woke they barely have time to fly the ship!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Cordell wrote: »
    He's a frail and troubled man, and still he makes them cry by simply writing a book.

mememe_139469816c69f4843091941ebd70abda-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Stovepipe wrote: »
    wokeism of the day.....any episode of Star Trek Discovery. A black female named Michael, a female gay engineeer, a male gay engineer, his doctor gay partner and a trans person carrying a symbiot inside itself. they're so busy being woke they barely have time to fly the ship!!

Do Star Trek and Stargate exist in the same fictional universe? Can we get Star Wars in there as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

** SPOILER ALERT ** (Do not read this post if you are not caught up in the series)

And, and, and, the gay engineer's partner i.e. the gay doctor was murdered by ....... wait for it ................ a white heterosexual male, even with all the other sentient aliens on the ship.

Hollywood, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. have gone bonkers the last few years trying to replace white characters in historical events with black or non-white actors. Prime's new series "Hunters" is inspired by a number of real Nazi hunters through the decades in New York, but if you go by the promo videos, these Nazi hunters were made up of a lot of black Americans. There is no evidence that this is the case historically, but you know, woke-ism. There seems to be a theme now from the film/TV studios that white = bad and non-white = good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Kivaro wrote: »
    ** SPOILER ALERT ** (Do not read this post if you are not caught up in the series)

And, and, and, the gay engineer's partner i.e. the gay doctor was murdered by ....... wait for it ................ a white heterosexual male, even with all the other sentient aliens on the ship.

Hollywood, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. have gone bonkers the last few years trying to replace white characters in historical events with black or non-white actors. Prime's new series "Hunters" is inspired by a number of real Nazi hunters through the decades in New York, but if you go by the promo videos, these Nazi hunters were made up of a lot of black Americans. There is no evidence that this is the case historically, but you know, woke-ism. There seems to be a theme now from the film/TV studios that white = bad and non-white = good.

Saw a guy being interviewed the other day who said “I’m raising a black son, as well as everything else I have to raise him that white folk will hate him and want to kill him for no reason”.

And we wonder why the problems persist!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

You two bringing Star Trek into are trying too hard to be upset :D The show is bad because of bad writing, not because it has a diverse crew.

Anyway the white male was a klingon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are more Asians in Ireland than Africans.
    So why do we hardly ever see Asians in TV adverts and other places?

1) they are not a vocal minority and don't make a fuss.
    2) they don't riot or have youth gangs in the suburbs.
    3) they are not the face of "diversity". The people who cast adverts and TV shows doesn't equal "diversity" with Asians, they equal diversity with Africans.

It has gone so far in US that Asians are counted along with whites.

Their minority status is stolen from them and no-one cares because they don't make a fuss.

biko wrote: »

2) they don't riot or have youth gangs in the suburbs targeting the natives.
    3) they are not the face of "diversity". The people who cast adverts and TV shows doesn't equal "diversity" with Asians, they equal diversity with Africans only.

Their minority status is stolen from them and no-one cares because they don't make a fuss.

I’ve a mate works in a Uni and told a Far Eastern parent “I love students from your part of the world, they’re all so sweet and well brought up and engaging!!”

Overhead by colleague from somewhere in Africa and reported for “harmful stereotypes”. The parent wrote a scathing letter against colleague and in defense of my pal!!!

Some people go looking to be offended!!!

2) they don't riot or have youth gangs in the suburbs.
    3) they are not the face of "diversity". The people who cast adverts and TV shows doesn't equal "diversity" with Asians, they equal diversity with Africans.

Are you thinking about Asians or Chinese/Japanese people?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's more because they are a minority, one that has suffered from racism in the past(particularly in the US), yet are on average more educated and more successful than the background White population and way ahead of other minorities. This poses uncomfortable questions that many don't want to ask and knocks the identity politics credo of - [insert oppressed group here] are always agentless victims and [insert oppressor group here] are always to blame - right on it's arse. It doesn't help that East Asians tend to hold more towards "conservative" values and viewpoints and in their origin nations don't buy into multiculturalism to nearly the degree of White western nations.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The "Asians" thing that means folks from India, Pakistan etc is very much a British thing, elsewhere Asians nearly always means East Asians; Chinese, Japanese, Koreans etc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The "Asians" thing that means folks from India, Pakistan etc is very much a British thing, elsewhere Asians nearly always means East Asians; Chinese, Japanese, Koreans etc.

I agree. I was just looking for clarification. It's hard to tell these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

Hollywood seems intent on deliberately replacing ginger characters in particular with black characters- once you notice it you'll start seeing it everywhere:

I agree. I was just looking for clarification. It's hard to tell these days.

I feel sorry for other Asian folk living in the UK - the word basically is now shorthand for Pakistani and Bangladeshi sex offender gangs.

Extremely unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Cordell

Adhamh wrote: »
    Hollywood seems intent on deliberately replacing ginger characters in particular with black characters- once you notice it you'll start seeing it everywhere:

That's because they have no soul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Gingers are being erased

It's all about the money. Hollywood always is. They figure if they add as many different people into the mix they'll get more of the groups those people represent to pony up for tickets and that's why they tick as many of the diversity boxes as they can. If actual Nazi's took over America and had all the buying power all you would see from Hollywood would be Swedish blondes. African Americans are a minority, but gingers are a smaller one. You see this in markets like China. Hollywood will add Asian characters, even whole scenes to get the money in that market, or will cut Black characters because they don't sell. Even their advertising reflects this. EG

star_wars_posters_side_by_side-768x768.jpg

The Black lad has an attack of the shrinking in the Chinese poster.

Hollywood cares little for "woke", or anything else. Does it sell, or not? That's it. They'll not greenlight another women only Ghostbusters, not because of any gender concerns, but because it bombed. If it had sold they'd be shooting the third instalment as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chinese/Japanese are Asians the way most Europeans think Asians (east Asians).

UK press started using Asians for Pakistanis a while back, but never really for Indians, Iranians, or Turks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Cordell

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Black lad has an attack of the shrinking in the Chinese poster.
    Nevermind the black lad, what happened to Chewbacca?

• Advertisement

I saw a link on the BBC about an Eastenders storyline about domestic abuse with the headshot of the black female actress. Instantly I thought to myself "let's see what white guy is beating her". Clicked through, saw the name, googled it, and lo and behold it was a white lad.
    Gervais08 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for other Asian folk living in the UK - the word basically is now shorthand for Pakistani and Bangladeshi sex offender gangs.

Extremely unfair.
    Taking a page from the Sikhs in those areas it should be specified that they're Muslim rape gangs. The Sikhs were among the most vocal about the issue from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

When I thought it couldn't get worse; now we have Species Identity :)
    The white male was a human ............ born and bred, and no skeletal restructuring or neurosurgical manipulation will identity him as a Klingon.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

When I thought it couldn't get worse; now we have Species Identity :)
    The white male was a human ............ born and bred, and no skeletal restructuring or neurosurgical manipulation will identity him as a Klingon.

You've gone past woke and come out the other side. :D but I think we can agree that the show isn't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

“He is an icon of hate speech and transphobia and the fact that he’s an icon of white supremacy, regardless of the content of his book, I’m not proud to work for a company that publishes him,” a junior employee who is a member of the LGBTQ community and who attended the town hall told VICE World News.

So nutty.

Priorities :rolleyes:

EnpyIbrXIAAhYCJ?format=jpg&name=large
    nbhy

Priorities :rolleyes:

It should still be published.. It's up to people whether they want to buy it. At a stretch, governments can decide to ban it due to dangers to society... but I genuinely believe such books should be published, and made available to the public, especially, if there is a movement for critical/honest appraisal of the material.

I read Mein Kampf when I was 13 years old, and again, when I was in my late teens. It didn't turn me into a Nazi.. or make me hate or consider any other ethnic groups to be inferior.

Just as I've read a variety of Feminist documents which were full of hate for men... they should still be published.. just create a society where such things face analysis, and discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

You two bringing Star Trek into are trying too hard to be upset :D The show is bad because of bad writing, not because it has a diverse crew.

Nah,none of the previous series tried this hard to be inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They've been at that since The Shawshank Redemption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Invidious wrote: »
    Oh no. Jordan Peterson, arch-nemesis of the woke left, has a new book slated for publication next spring.

Looking forward to reading Twelve More Rules, written by a man who lives on a diet of beef, salt and water and nearly died because didn't realise that regular benzo use can lead to addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

.anon. wrote: »
    Looking forward to reading Twelve More Rules, written by a man who lives on a diet of beef, salt and water and nearly died because didn't realise that regular benzo use can lead to addiction.

Without your spite you'd have nothing at all

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Nah,none of the previous series tried this hard to be inclusive.
    Star Trek from the original series was into being inclusive. To a 1960's American audience the main characters of the crew and the good guys containing a Black women, an Asian, even a Russian would have been extremely novel(and they got complaints). It was also the first series to show an interracial kiss, though that episode didn't get aired in the southern states. When it came back in the 80's it had race, sexuality, gender, right on politics Merkin style type stuff going on and that continues down to the current one. That franchise has been California style right on since its inception. The diverse bit doesn't bother me tbh, plus I was never a Trekkie(though loved the reruns of the original one when I was a kid). I got bored of it because the characters tend to act like they've got emotional diarrhoea and are fit to blub at any time, while in their jammies gorging on haagen das being supportive. It's all a tad too oestrogen for me, and that's fine. It's otherwise very well made.

Star Wars went "woke" alright. It went from the first in the 70's which was a universe of White people and a solitary woman. They dropped in a token Black guy in the sequels, but that was about it. Then there were those ones in the late 90's which kinda stayed true to the original on that score while adding in a couple of unfortunate parodies of some ethnic groups. Then we got the latest ones which as well as the first being a near frame by frame copy of the 70's original* went all you go girl Disney princess. The second one was pure sh1te on so many levels and the last was pretty much Thank Christ that's wrapped.

The TV Mandalorian is watchable and has "strong women", Black folks etc, but the story rattles along minus being preachy. That's how it should be done. Nobody gives a damn who's playing whom if it's a good story well told. Look at Ridley, especially in the sequel Aliens. She ticks every box of old style feminism and is universally loved, because she's a great character in a great story, very well told.

Personally I have no great issue with diversity in casting. I mean for years you'd see flics on Rome or Greece or Egypt and all the bods on screen were holding forth in shakespearean tones, or Yanks. Rome in reality would have been more like Scorcese does The Sopranos, in togas. :D

It's the historic flics where I would prefer more accuracy TBH, though Hollywood doesn't do accuracy. They do the Disney it's a small world(but really American filtered) "accuracy" and always have.

*JJ Abrams, the pound shop Spielberg who if he had an original thought would flatline.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement