Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Without your spite you'd have nothing at all

Nothing spiteful about pointing out the hypocrisy of the 'clean your room' guy.

EnoOTH0VgAImFu8?format=jpg&name=small

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

.anon. wrote: »
    Looking forward to reading Twelve More Rules, written by a man who lives on a diet of beef, salt and water and nearly died because didn't realise that regular benzo use can lead to addiction.
    +1 When I read that a clinical psychologist with many years of practice and teaching under his belt and someone who is clearly well above average on the IQ front appeared to be shocked that taking benzos was risky I was gobsmacked. The dogs on the streets know that FFS and know it for donkey's years. Their use has been massively curtailed over the last few decades because of the known and all too common risks(though maybe not in Canada/America?). Did he get a blow his head at some point? Like how dumb can you be? IIRC he was also on a cocktail of other drugs like various SSRI's and the like. Yeah, great mix there Ted. Must not have that much faith in his own talk therapy discipline if he went to the happy smarties so readliy.

Though from my occasional bumps into him on Youtube(mostly linked here on Boards) or the news and I suppose because of that occasional nature I did notice him going from a guy who appeared to have it together to looking pretty hunted. Fame, home stress? Though he always kinda gave me the impression of someone who as they used to say ""suffers with his nerves, god love him". Going famous overnight with a load of ardent supporters and equally ardent detractors and a heavy appearance schedule and other things no doubt in his private life, that would be a major stress for anyone, any weakness would be amplified.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was completely fine with the racial/diversity make up of the latest incarnation of Star Trek and would have agreed with what Wibbs said above...but the latest series (S3) has gone to hell.

Firstly they have completely irradiated stereotypical strong white men (hetro, strong willed, confident etc). The crew now is comprised of a majority of women, the while male is gay, the 2 other males are black, one is gay. The rest of the female piloting crew are a combination of weak, ditszy, emotional, fearful, but somehow they manage to get the job done with all these traits which you'd hardly expect to be the kinds of people to sign up for active duty (read: even you faint of heart can be a star fleet captain). Life will never be like that, the strongest only make it to the top.

The new S3 captain is extremely tall and a new season 3 character is very short. Height diversity eh.

The main protagonist Burham now sports a new African(or is it Jamaican) platted hair style down to her lower back which appears to be a permanent change which you'd think would be against dress rules if only cuz one could grab it and drag her along the ground when in combat with her foes. A recurring theme with Burham is she frequently breaks the rules but she does good in the end, her heart was in the right place, and I'm just wondering is the writers are suggesting that black people may do things differently in a way we white people might find unacceptable but it's just their way and we shouldn't be so critical. I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

I wouldn't be so castigating if it weren't for the fact it's cr*p in comparison to the older series's. If they didn't focus so much on diversity to petty levels they might have more time for writing a half descent script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Nothing spiteful about pointing out the hypocrisy of the 'clean your room' guy.

Complete rubbish.

' Cleaning your room ' is a metaphorical first step towards adding value in the world. He is obviously someone who has added a lot already.

Wokies cant compute this because they have never added anything of value. The very idea doesn't register with them. Except giving some of us a good ole laugh. I'll give them that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

biko wrote: »
    There are more Asians in Ireland than Africans.
    So why do we hardly ever see Asians in TV adverts and other places?

1) they are not a vocal minority and don't make a fuss.
    2) they don't riot or have youth gangs in the suburbs.
    3) they are not the face of "diversity". The people who cast adverts and TV shows doesn't equal "diversity" with Asians, they equal diversity with Africans.

It has gone so far in US that Asians are counted along with whites.

Their minority status is stolen from them and no-one cares because they don't make a fuss.

Their status of "you don't belong in the in group with whitey" is gone? Jesus, how will they ever get over it

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 When I read that a clinical psychologist with many years of practice and teaching under his belt and someone who is clearly well above average on the IQ front appeared to be shocked that taking benzos was risky I was gobsmacked. The dogs on the streets know that FFS and know it for donkey's years. Their use has been massively curtailed over the last few decades because of the known and all too common risks(though maybe not in Canada/America?). Did he get a blow his head at some point? Like how dumb can you be? IIRC he was also on a cocktail of other drugs like various SSRI's and the like. Yeah, great mix there Ted. Must not have that much faith in his own talk therapy discipline if he went to the happy smarties so readliy.

You'd think he would've Googled Clonazepam before taking it, or at least read the little info sheet that they stuff inside the packet. I watched him being interviewed by his crazy nutritionist daughter recently and he seemed surprised to have learned that it's harder to come off benzos than opiates. I already knew this because it's exactly what my doctor said when he prescribed me seven 0.25mg Xanax tablets per month back in 2004. It seems (in North America, at least) that if you're wealthy enough, you can basically get whatever you want from your doctor, regardless of the long-term harm it might cause you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Their status of "you don't belong in the in group with whitey" is gone? Jesus, how will they ever get over it

Way missing the point there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Way missing the point there.

What's the point? Asian people love playing the victim and should be upset they can't do it anymore?

Nah.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Complete rubbish.

' Cleaning your room ' is a metaphorical first step towards adding value in the world. He is obviously someone who has added a lot already.

Wokies cant compute this because they have never added anything of value. The very idea doesn't register with them. Except giving some of us a good ole laugh. I'll give them that.

The sad part of their 'movement' is that they spend an inordinate amount of time criticising people and seeking desperately to drag them down to the lowest possible situation.

It doesn't matter if someone has a bad period in life, and has managed to put themselves back together. There's no clap on the back for facing adversity, or empathy for stresses that they might not have experienced. It's a gutter fight to show their virtue, or rather... their superiority.

It bugs me TBH. I despise double standards, and the hypocrisy that seems to go hand in hand with American or Internet culture these days (sometimes I figure they're the same thing). There's so much.. willful spite involved... where they take every opportunity to point out the failings of other people.

It's one of the reasons Hollywood, with their MarySues is just so bad. Perfect creatures who have never had to experience any trouble in their lives, their challenges amount to storms in a teacup because they're so perfect that there is no actual challenge... and no space to show personal growth.. and no weaknesses. Ugh. It's probably the reason they love the Transgender movement so much... it's their chance to leave the human race behind and become the sexless androids of the future.

You'd think he would've Googled Clonazepam before taking it, or at least read the little info sheet that they stuff inside the packet. I watched him being interviewed by his crazy nutritionist daughter recently and he seemed surprised to have learned that it's harder to come off benzos than opiates. I already knew this because it's exactly what my doctor said when he prescribed me seven 0.25mg Xanax tablets per month back in 2004. It seems (in North America, at least) that if you're wealthy enough, you can basically get whatever you want from your doctor, regardless of the long-term harm it might cause you.

The medical and drugs industry in the US and Canada, pretty much ensures that your doctor is a drug dealer, often pushing crap on you without informing you of the possible addictions. I know many people who completely trust their various doctors to prescribe them with drugs without needing to do their own private research. I now, research every drug that my doctor recommends to me before taking them, but honestly, there was a time when I didn't. It's a shame that we can't trust our doctors to inform us of possible side-effects and problems (in my case, it was medicine with a high chance of kidney failure, and my kidneys, did fail... Yay! for expensive consultants)

Now, I honestly don't know what his situation is. Whether he knew beforehand the dangers or was ignorant. However, considering the wide range of addiction in the US over these kind of prescribed drugs, I wouldn't terribly be surprised if he simply made a mistake. It happens... you suffer with some problem for so long, someone offers you a lifeline, and you grab it, regardless of the consequences.. because the alternative is a known factor of bad...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

What's the point? Asian people love playing the victim and should be upset they can't do it anymore?

Nah.

I’ll thank you not to attempt to put words in my mouth okay ?

Point 1: how many programmes, schemes etc are there to help minorities? By not including a group as a minority they are disadvantaged.

Point 3: the reason for not including Asians as a minority group has been explained here - the narrative of the evil oppressors and the perceived victimhood of the non-whites is at risk given the educational and other successes of those from an Asian background.

There are others but to a post referencing “Whitey” I don’t think it’s worth breaking out any of the better quality points.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭CarProblem

Looking forward to reading Twelve More Rules, written by a man who lives on a diet of beef, salt and water and nearly died because didn't realise that regular benzo use can lead to addiction.

You do realise you don't have to read it just cos they publish it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Though from my occasional bumps into him on Youtube(mostly linked here on Boards) or the news and I suppose because of that occasional nature I did notice him going from a guy who appeared to have it together to looking pretty hunted. Fame, home stress? Though he always kinda gave me the impression of someone who as they used to say ""suffers with his nerves, god love him". Going famous overnight with a load of ardent supporters and equally ardent detractors and a heavy appearance schedule and other things no doubt in his private life, that would be a major stress for anyone, any weakness would be amplified.

His missus got cancer I think, he's been pretty open about being prescribed antidepressants and the like in the past. Pretty sure the fame and the touring didnt help. His whole winding up in some detox hospital in Russia and Croatia was pure space cadet stuff, you have to wonder about him and his family with that kind of quack carry on

I like the mad ****er even though he spouts some amount of guff once hes up on his high horse. When the cancel mob come for you, you're supposed to admit guilt, apologise and hope they let keep your job and life but he didnt and that took nerve, he stood up to them, survived and started pointing out the Emperor had no clothes...and the Emperoror was a filthy commie, roughly speaking :D

CarProblem wrote: »
    You do realise you don't have to read it just cos they publish it right?

You do realise what 'looking forward to' means, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Judging a book by its cover is silly. Judging a book by its author's dietary habits is even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://babylonbee.com/news/staffers-crying-over-jordan-peterson-book-cured-by-forcing-them-to-read-jordan-peterson-book

Staffers Crying Over Jordan Peterson Book Cured By Forcing Them To Read Jordan Peterson Book
    "I am very pleased with the outcome of my publisher making its employees read my book," said Peterson to a reporter. "And I bloody-well hope it helps thousands more people who read it. That would be quite a positive outcome."

The reporter blinked and responded, "so you're saying you hate women?"

Note, BabylonBee isn't a real news site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

To be fair, lots of highly intelligent people end up with prescription drug habits. William Rehnquist was off his tits on Placidyl for a good ten years while he sat on the US Supreme Court. Had little to no affect on the quality of his work by all accounts. Until he stopped of course, and started worrying that the CIA were after him. Fun times.

Long term use of benzodiazepines is interesting. It's almost universally accepted that tolerance to the hypnotic affects happens pretty quickly but it's debated as to how long the anxiolytic properties last. This side of the pond the thinking is usually to prescribe a short course until patient is stabilized on an SSRI/SNRI but in North America it's not uncommon for them to be prescribed long-term. Like with opiates, dependency is a given in those scenarios and the line between 'this is helping the patients anxiety' and 'I need to keep writing scripts to keep this person alive/sane/happy' is tricky. Rife with abuses too, on both sides - doctor shopping patients and pill mills.

In all honesty their use might have been curtailed too much here. Mariusz Serbin's death in Cork Prison last year was recorded as 'Misadventure' but really was down to negligence. Too much pearl-clutching about 'dangerous' benzos led to man dying for lack of a few cents worth of chlordiazepoxide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Adhamh wrote: »
    Hollywood seems intent on deliberately replacing ginger characters in particular with black characters- once you notice it you'll start seeing it everywhere:

Aye, we're often overlooked, outright excluded/removed or constantly the butt of the joke. Both in media and real life. But, much like the Asians, we don't really complain so nobody cares. I'm in the even rarer group of red hair and blue eyes. Think it's time I started to get some rights and stuff... Wonder would the LGBTAlphabet group take us under their wing. We're pretty small though, something like 2% of the worlds population have red hair.

TBH, it doesn't annoy me anymore, except for replacing Triss in Netflix's the Witcher. Granted, a minor part, but still... #TeamTriss

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

“He is an icon of hate speech and transphobia and the fact that he’s an icon of white supremacy, regardless of the content of his book, I’m not proud to work for a company that publishes him,” a junior employee who is a member of the LGBTQ community and who attended the town hall told VICE World News.

So nutty.

Not nutty. Dangerous.

Invidious wrote: »
    Judging a book by its cover is silly. Judging a book by its author's dietary habits is even more so.

The fact that I'm looking forward to reading it doesn't mean that I've judged it. Based on his recent experiences, it may well differ from the previous one. Which I didn't think was bad, incidentally.

• Advertisement

Not nutty. Dangerous.

Nah. This isn't anything new... It's happened before, and will happen again. There is always going to be fools like these.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

46 Long wrote: »
    To be fair...
    Good jaysus 46, it's a bit early in the day for me to be reading sensible well considered stuff. :D
    Invidious wrote: »
    Judging a book by its cover is silly.
    now as an aside there's a proverb I never understood even as a kid. Maybe in medieval scriptoriums where they didn't have titles or indexes, but these days the title gives a good clue and reading the back cover sets it out. OK, yeah, I'm weird.

A mate of mine who saw this in the news put it well IMH and I quote: Peterson is a drug addled gobsh1te(self admitted) but if all books by drug addled gobsh1tes weren’t published the world would be a poorer place.
    Nah. This isn't anything new... It's happened before, and will happen again. There is always going to be fools like these.
    True. The danger comes when wider society starts to listen to fools like these.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Think it's time I started to get some rights and stuff... Wonder would the LGBTAlphabet group take us under their wing.

"G" is already taken. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

biko wrote: »
    ONTARIO—After distraught staffers at Penguin Random House Canada complained about the publication of Jordan Peterson's new book Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life, the publishing company quickly solved the problem by forcing the crying employees to read Jordan Peterson's book. According to sources, employees have been completely cured of their whining, self-destructive victimhood.

"It's like a miracle," said office assistant Xandy Dutheriadux. "I didn't realize how much of my time was spent on behaviors that aren't particularly useful-- such as whining and blaming others! It's time for me to get my house in order and refine my competence in order to achieve my goals! Thanks, Dr. Peterson!"

Sources within the company say that productivity and employee satisfaction have risen by 3000% since they forced everyone to read the book.

Just brilliant ... I'm nearly in tears myself reading this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think you're being very harsh there Wibbs - I can't really see the problem with someone (no matter how smart, or how famous or whatever) taking medical advice from their doctor. If you can't take medical advice from a doctor who can you take it from? Also it's not like intelligence offers any protection whatsoever from depression or anxiety.

I'm sure he was aware of the risk of addiction, it just transpired that he was particularly susceptible and how could you possibly know that?
    At a guess i'd say he put his faith in the doctors that the dosage / duration etc was skewing those risks in his favour, and in all honesty why wouldn't he?

We all know alcohol is addictive yet the vast majority of us will still gamble that it won't get us, and generally speaking it doesn't, but we also all know someone who either can't kick it or really had to struggle to do so. We took the exact same risk that they did and it was largely the luck of the draw that it ended differently.

I think you're being very harsh there Wibbs - I can't really see the problem with someone (no matter how smart, or how famous or whatever) taking medical advice from their doctor. If you can't take medical advice from a doctor who can you take it from?
    Second and third opinions, particularly when any therapy carries risks of serious side effects. I have huge respect for doctors as a profession, but I wouldn't put my unalloyed faith in them that too many do, or rather I'd be cautious on the advice of one doctor. Opinions vary and vary over time, with the individual doctor(some are pill pushers, some are not), the wealth of the patient(not always an advantage) and the medical cultures of countries. So in some areas of health I'd take the advice of an Irish doctor way over the advice of say an American one and in other things vice versa.
    Also it's not like intelligence offers any protection whatsoever from depression or anxiety.
    True, but it does, or should give an individual more agency in making better decisions.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Firstly they have completely irradiated stereotypical strong white men (hetro, strong willed, confident etc). The crew now is comprised of a majority of women, the while male is gay, the 2 other males are black, one is gay. The rest of the female piloting crew are a combination of weak, ditszy, emotional, fearful, but somehow they manage to get the job done with all these traits which you'd hardly expect to be the kinds of people to sign up for active duty (read: even you faint of heart can be a star fleet captain). Life will never be like that, the strongest only make it to the top.
    I had a look at the latest episode for the craic and oh God, yeah, I take your point. One red headed lass appears to be on the point of tears in every scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Second and third opinions, particularly when any therapy carries risks of serious side effects. I have huge respect for doctors as a profession, but I wouldn't put my unalloyed faith in them that too many do, or rather I'd be cautious on the advice of one doctor.

I don't know how he came to be prescribed this stuff, but i think it would be a safe enough bet that he has access to the best of treatment, so i can only assume it was believed to be the best course of action by a proper doctor / medical team, rather than he just went to some shady Dr. Feelgood just to get off his tits.

True, but it does, or should give an individual more agency in making better decisions.

Even with the benefit of hindsight it's hard to say definitively that it was a bad decision, it didn't work out that much is clear as day, but that's not quite the same thing. It doesn't mean it wasn't the best course of action available to them at the time.

Saying you'd ask around and therefore avoid any bad medical outcomes or drug interactions / side effects etc is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Iv been in a similar situation much like this while visiting a friend in Holland. It was the friends of his girl friends. I tried to entertain it, but when I was outted for using the wrong pro noun and misgendering one of them, I got up and left and stayed with another mate that lived in the same city. Apparently that night I was disrespectful and aggressive....I didn't respond to their sh*te, I left without saying a word. :pac:

https://twitter.com/crimeofcupid/status/1331464791836168193

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Iv been in a similar situation much like this while visiting a friend in Holland. It was the friends of his girl friends. I tried to entertain it, but when I was outted for using the wrong pro noun and misgendering one of them, I got up and left and stayed with another mate that lived in the same city. Apparently that night I was disrespectful and aggressive....I didn't respond to their sh*te, I left without saying a word. :pac:

https://twitter.com/crimeofcupid/status/1331464791836168193

I was convinced that the video was satire but apparently it's not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement