Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Apparently Rosario Dawson is being sued by a trans man for alleged abuse or assault, can't remember.

They congratulated her on her performance in Mando I think.

Not allowed to praise someone's art, see?

Especially if they haven't been found guilty of anything. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

"I despise this ‘woke’ movement... It’s become a religious cult." -- John Banville

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/books/john-banville-i-despise-this-woke-movement-its-become-a-religious-cult-39810521.html

Already being lambasted on Twitter, naturally.

Luckily, I can't imagine Banville paying twitter much attention. I'd be surprised if he's even on it.

EDIT: He has a lampoon account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Morathi wrote: »
    Luckily, I can't imagine Banville paying twitter much attention. I'd be surprised if he's even on it.

EDIT: He is! :eek:

You’d have to wonder is he as boring, in person, as his books.

The tide is turning…

You got in before my first ninja edit, damn. :pac:

I've only read The Sea, quite liked it personally, but I remember reading an interview with him in the back of the book. He was a bit of a bollox to the journalist.

You got in before my first ninja edit, damn. :pac:

I've only read The Sea, quite liked it personally, but I remember reading an interview with him in the back of the book. He was a bit of a bollox to the journalist.

To be fair, most journalists deserve some attitude directed towards them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Gervais08 wrote: »
    What the actual f**k is that about???

Its all about rainbows and fcking pronouns hun

Its all about rainbows and fcking pronouns hun

I’d ask more but I asked why the rainbow laces campaign - which I support - now has a black and brown colour added to the rainbow.

I’m ignorant and bigoted apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hmmm, rainbows with black in them. Can't say I've seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

‘God’ must be racist so... also no pink.... :eek: he’s anti lgbt too, sack him.

Strumms wrote: »

Well he's definitely a homophobe I believe, if his people are anything to go by (albeit a recent facebook article says that it was badly translated and is meant that man shouldn't lie with a boy, which is really common sense but some in the church seem to have taken it to mean the opposite).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Strumms wrote: »
    :mad: How very dare you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

:mad: How very dare you! :p

Sack me ! No, wait, I QUIT ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Invidious wrote: »
    Oh no. Jordan Peterson, arch-nemesis of the woke left, has a new book slated for publication next spring. This must be stopped!

Tearful woke staff now get to attend town-hall meetings and object to the books their employer plans to publish? This sets a dangerous precedent ... a slippery slope to rampant censorship.
    PRH will still publish the book because it will make them a ton of money.

Sky Sports all weekend - rainbow as usual this weekend but there’s extra colors added

Sky Sports all weekend - rainbow as usual this weekend but there’s extra colors added

Let me update my statement:

Hmmm, rainbows with black in them. Can't say I've seen that in real life.

PRH will still publish the book because it will make them a ton of money.

Of course ... and the woke staffers will have to live with the reality that Jordan Peterson's book is paying their salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Only racists see colour - what the hell is a rainbow?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Post on a Facebook motoring group this morning, with a link to an article criticising Chinese tyres for being cheap crap.

The guy who posted it accompanied it with a "trigger warning for casual xenophobia".

I may or may not have question the use of trigger warnings to prevent grown ass adults from getting all upset by a perfectly reasonable article, and was promptly told off for my priveledge, as someone who could never have experienced racism or xenophobia.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Post on a Facebook motoring group this morning, with a link to an article criticising Chinese tyres for being cheap crap.

The guy who posted it accompanied it with a "trigger warning for casual xenophobia".

I may or may not have question the use of trigger warnings to prevent grown ass adults from getting all upset by a perfectly reasonable article, and was promptly told off for my priveledge, as someone who could never have experienced racism or xenophobia.

I love when people hit me with that. I remind them of the years I lived in Japan and experienced racism first hand.

I also tell about how I didn't take it personally and that arseholes exist in all creeds and colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I love when people hit me with that. I remind them of the years I lived in Japan and experienced racism first hand.

I also tell about how I didn't take it personally and that arseholes exist in all creeds and colours.

He's a group admin too lol. Ban incoming...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DrPhilG wrote: »

Though a blanket statement on my part I have found this to be true: anyone who uses the term "trigger warning" in earnest and without irony is a mental defective.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though a blanket statement on my part I have found this to be true: anyone who uses the term "trigger warning" in earnest and without irony is a mental defective.

I told my niece that I’d studied Macbeth at school as she wasn’t doing Shakespeare and I’d asked why.

“There were too many triggers”.

All those Thanes and lads called Banquo in a Manchester school getting PTSD eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

But this whole thread is trigger central :pac: :confused: :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a difference between being puzzled or exasperated because of the words and actions of some oft attention seeking offence mongers out there and being so emotionally frail that the slightest thing will "trigger" a negative emotional response.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's a difference between being puzzled or exasperated because of the words and actions of some oft attention seeking offence mongers out there and being so emotionally frail that the slightest thing will "trigger" a negative emotional response.

‘‘Tis true!

I told my niece that I’d studied Macbeth at school as she wasn’t doing Shakespeare and I’d asked why.

All those Thanes and lads called Banquo in a Manchester school getting PTSD eh ?

And yet many of the woke generation, while demanding trigger warnings on classic works of literature, will happily sit through Game of Thrones' endless depictions of executions, incest, mass battles, violent hand-to-hand combat, rape, slavery, castration, torture, poisoning, human sacrifice, witchcraft, and so on. It's nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Everyone should at some point study the works of Shakespeare, even outside of the school curriculum. If not for the many quotable soliloquys, then for sheer entertainment value alone!

Lady Macbeth’s “Unsex me here” and Cassius’ “While we petty men walk under his huge legs and peep about to find ourselves dishonourable graves”, or Caesar’s own opinions of “sleek headed men”... classic :D

I suppose at some point you’d get around to understanding the historical context, but that doesn’t spoil the enjoyment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement