Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

aside... :o
    since armour is little use against guns/laser weapons.
    Actually and contrary to popular belief plate armour stood up well to musket fire
    and there was quite the overlap between plate armour and firearms. It went out of fashion for other reasons. Plus in that linked test, it was just the plate alone, minus the chainmail and thick tightly packed jerkin that would be under it, both of which would further slow/deflect any impacts by quite the amount. A man in full harness was significantly more "bulletproof" than the peasant soldiers fighting with them. Actually if you copied an original full suit of medieval armour only using modern composites and kevlar and the like, you'd be pretty much bulletproof against even modern small arms fire.

Lasers? Polish above to mirror finish. :D
    I've worn plate armor, and also chain variations (combat reenactments). They're heavy... which is the point. Few women would have the strength/stamina to walk around in a full or even partial set for long periods.
    Well knights damn near lived in their armour from dawn to dusk and trained in it too(there's even a training manual that has survived which included climbing trees and going for long runs wearing full plate). Their skeletons show the response to that load and even a woman's body would adapt. The weight is spread all over the body and very fitted to the individual. Put it another way a full harness would weigh less than the average foot soldiers weapons, kit and backpack.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    aside... :oActually and contrary to popular belief plate armour stood up well to musket fire
    and there was quite the overlap between plate armour and firearms. It went out of fashion for other reasons. Plus in that linked test, it was just the plate alone, minus the chainmail and thick tightly packed jerkin that would be under it, both of which would further slow/deflect any impacts by quite the amount. A man in full harness was significantly more "bulletproof" than the peasant soldiers fighting with them. Actually if you copied an original full suit of medieval armour only using modern composites and kevlar and the like, you'd be pretty much bulletproof against even modern small arms fire.

Lasers? Polish above to mirror finish. :D

If you look at the firearms used in the star wars universe, they're all high-velocity rifles, more akin to railguns. (I used to do a fair bit of Star wars roleplaying at one stage). The slugs would have torn apart any kind of armour.

No idea on the practicalities of armour and lasers. :D
    Well knights damn near lived in their armour from dawn to dusk and trained in it too(there's even a training manual that has survived which included climbing trees and going for long runs wearing full plate). Their skeletons show the response to that load and even a woman's body would adapt. The weight is spread all over the body and very fitted to the individual.

Sure, a woman's body would adapt, but how many women would give up the relative security of their social status to commit to such a lifestyle... because it was a lifestyle, that required building up the stamina to lug around the armour, not simply to walk and move around, but to have the mobility to dodge blows, while also fighting within the constraints that the armour caused to swings/thrusts with weapons. It's not the case of putting it on one day and being able to fight the same day. Christ, a properly made shield is an incredible weight, all in itself.

I did a reenactment gig a few years back of full plate with mauls. I collapsed when the armour was put on me first. I had to get most of it removed, move around under i got used to the weight, add another piece, move around, add another, and so on. It was heavy.. really heavy.. and after getting hit a dozen times by a maul, I felt I needed more.. armour (which in turn means more weight, and the heat/sweat involved.. yuck) interesting experience.. a humbling experience.

In any case, throughout history, the numbers of women who engaged in melee combat while wearing armour is incredibly low.. so there's little "science" to show how they would have adapted and managed such a lifestyle. Sure, some women are born "big", and will develop themselves physically, but the vast majority are simply not designed (physically) to carry that much weight, and to fight with it, or even just to move quickly from A to B.
    Put it another way a full harness would weigh less than the average foot soldiers weapons, kit and backpack.

Depends on what kind of armour set we're talking about... A professional roman legionary would have had a considerable amount of gear to wear/carry, even when his baggage was dropped. A knight in a full battle rig complete with shield, and a morningstar or heavy broadsword would be pretty nasty in weight.. considering that many needed to be lifted onto horseback since they couldn't raise the weight themselves to mount a horse.

A mate of mine has a partial plate gig, just for the shoulders, with reinforced leather body piece. It's heavy, but nowhere close to being as heavy as battle plate. He has an attachable breastplate, but it doesn't add much, but at the same time, it wouldn't withstand a direct blow either. Armour is interesting..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

many needed to be lifted onto horseback since they couldn't raise the weight themselves to mount a horse.
    Actually that's a modern fallacy. There are zero accounts of knights in full plate requiring hoisting onto horses. Quite the opposite in fact. Plenty of accounts of knights getting back onto horses after been thrown off in battle or joust(and running and climbing siege assault ladders and the like). It was seen as a given. This idea of a knight falling off his horse left like a defenceless and clumsy upturned tortoise is a hollywood myth. One of Henry the 8th's party tricks when him and his mates got together and much wine was consumed was him running the length of the hall and vaulting onto his horse in full plate. And he wasn't exactly svelte(poor horse).

I love conversations like this where we can go from "Woke" to a debate on medieval armour. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Actually B, more and more I have come to not believe that, or that it is too easy an answer which is attractive to the "PC's gone mad!!" people. Yes it might have been a factor, but IMHO bigger factors were the deep divisions in US society that have lasted for a long long time that come to the fore every so often, Clinton not being enough of a draw, with a large side order of celeb attraction and razzmatazz(he's a famous "billionaire" y'know), boorishness mistake for honesty and "maybe something different might be a good thing?" Oh wait... And support of one party. After all Americans either vote for one or the other pretty consistently and close to 50/50*.

After all 90% of this "woke" stuff and the "right" stuff is online and in media. Certainly, in Ireland, the vast majority are very centrist with a mix of right and left, usually in the same person and in American terms very much left.

The main draw of Trump, IMHO, was ' what you see is what you get ', and telling it 'like it is '. This was against a backdrop of growing problems with free speech on public platforms. He was the polar opposite of career politicians who had presided over a weakening political culture and widespread corruption/ state enlargement.

If PC/ Woke/Leftist culture wasn't such a problem, I think there would have been another GOP candidate instead.

Actually that's a modern fallacy. There are zero accounts of knights in full plate requiring hoisting onto horses. Quite the opposite in fact. Plenty of accounts of knights getting back onto horses after been thrown off in battle or joust(and running and climbing siege assault ladders and the like). It was seen as a given. This idea of a knight falling off his horse left like a defenceless and clumsy upturned tortoise is a hollywood myth. One of Henry the 8th's party tricks when him and his mates got together and much wine was consumed was him running the length of the hall and vaulting onto his horse in full plate. And he wasn't exactly svelte(poor horse).

I love conversations like this where we can go from "Woke" to a debate on medieval armour. :D

Actually, this is why I said that it depended on the Armour set that is being worn. There are so many variations of plate, and other forms of armour, due to the era, or the function that the armour was intended for. Some were designed to be more like tank armour, whereas others were far more flexible. (Consider some of the heavier Teutonic plate armour designs).

But after further reading, yup... I accepted the myth about being winched up to a horse. Interesting.. I'd always assumed it was due to Lords who mightn't be terribly fit needing a help with all that weight. (Tourney Armour, more likely, to have stupid designs or such to improve its appearance but still adding weight to the overall kit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

.anon. wrote: »
    I think Boards has gone full "everything is woke". Can people here not learn a new word?
    True, I find "白左" more fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Out of all of the days in the year, on the 100th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday, An Post chose to post this ****e. There was no commemorative tweet from them neither. Wtf is winter pride, pride must now be all year round

https://twitter.com/Postvox/status/1329824176472006656

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Out of all of the days in the year, on the 100th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday, An Post chose to post this ****e. There was no commemorative tweet from them neither. Wtf is winter pride, pride must now be all year round

I consider myself a long term ally to thbe gay community - first I’ve heard of a Winter Pride???

Why not fly the rainbow flag???

Edit - next week like, they should be commemorating Bloody Sunday’s anniversary.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I consider myself a long term ally to thbe gay community - first I’ve heard of a Winter Pride???

Why not fly the rainbow flag???

there should only one flag flying over that building.

I meant that - apologies for not making it clear. If there an extra pole - and it’s a big enough deal, grand - but the tricolour stays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Hardly worth getting upset over. It's mad how the vast majority of the responses and quote-tweets are from people describing themselves as "pro-life" "Catholic" "white nationalist" "Irish Trump supporter". Clearly, most normal people couldn't give a damn.
    Gervais08 wrote: »
    I meant that - apologies for not making it clear. If there an extra pole - and it’s a big enough deal, grand - but the tricolour stays.

Careful now, accidental "woke-ism" there. Good save though.

Hardly worth getting upset over. It's mad how the vast majority of the responses and quote-tweets are from people describing themselves as "pro-life" "Catholic" "white nationalist" "Irish Trump supporter". Clearly, most normal people couldn't give a damn.

Are you upset they don't have their pro nouns in their bio?

Are you upset they don't have their pro nouns in their bio?

I don't have them in my own bio, so no. Does it upset you when people have their pro nouns (sic) in their bios?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't have them in my own bio, so no. Does it upset you when people have their pro nouns (sic) in their bios?

Wouldn’t upset me. I’m thankful for them. Pronouns on a bio are a phenomenal indicator of an absolute dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Pronouns are a tacit admission of mental health problems.

Clearly, most normal people will agree on this.

Biker79 wrote: »

Interesting language there, implying that mental health problems are something shameful that a person might 'tacitly admit' to.

Biker79 wrote: »

If you ask me to use your pronouns I will out of humanity and basic respect.

When taking generally no, I won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Interesting language there, implying that mental health problems are something shameful that a person might 'tacitly admit' to.

I've done it before

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

^^^ cringe.

Good point that the whole congregation seems to be women.. wonder how many fathers are pushing this nonsense?

• Advertisement

^^^ cringe.

Good point that the whole congregation seems to be women.. wonder how many fathers are pushing this nonsense?
    It's not women, or men pushing this kinda nonsense(and in the above vid you can be sure there are a bunch of rubber spined "men" outside banging drums to the goddess or some other nonsense). For me the (and almost exclusively western)world consists of your average men and women which is most of us, with a too large loud minority who express ChickThink or BroScience. The above is pure ChickThink. Tends to be the remit of the hard of thinking and even harder on the eye.

And like I said it's almost exclusively current western world thinking. The rest of the planet is WTF? or laughing at it. The west has lost much of the old certainties and in many quarters is suffering from a severe lack of self confidence so is scrabbling about for new "truths" and along the way is embracing a fair bit of complete effing insanity. :D There's also a huge avoidance of making any judgement, preferring the beige consensus of the group. Avoiding any judgement, means avoiding making a decision and taking responsibility in case you may be judged on it. It's self absorbed, lazy and cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tends to be the remit of the hard of thinking and even harder on the eye.
    If you ever write a book I promise I will buy and read it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

biko wrote: »
    If you ever write a book I promise I will buy and read it :D

Try Cynical Theories by Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay
    (It feels like I'm hawking this today but it is vital to understand what is going on and the very real life dangers posed by what's happening)

PS And Wibb's book when it comes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No harm but Little Phoenix hasn't a clue whats going on.

Some parents are ruining kids lives with this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I’d be more concerned about all these self proclaimed ‘real’ men being so afraid of the threat posed by .5% of the population who have practically zero track record of violence or insurrection linked with them

I've rarely been threatened by dribbling morons, it doesn't mean I can't point them out for being such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Is the cringe in this thread ironic?

Akrasia wrote: »
    I’d be more concerned about all these self proclaimed ‘real’ men being so afraid of the threat posed by .5% of the population who have practically zero track record of violence or insurrection linked with them

No idea what this "self proclaimed ‘real’ men" stuff relates to.. but it's not the .5% of the population who are genuinely trans that are any kind of issues, just as they weren't any serious issue two decades ago. It's the people to have since chosen to make their life choices of particular importance to everyone else. Accept me! I demand it. Yup. And all of the associated problems must be ignored, just to make them feel better.

As for the zero track record of violence, I'm guessing you haven't been to many gay clubs/bars and encountered the trans community there? They definitely have a strong reputation for the potential of violence, and being unpredictable to match..

That must make you a homophobe then, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was gathering the right people for a meeting this morning and once i sent the invite i had a look at twitter and there was a thread about "how to ensure you have the right people at your meetings" which i felt was worth a read, as i required a wide rage of skills ....

turns out i should have invite a woman, a minority group and a person of colour.....

there was me looking at skillsets only!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement