Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The yanks really are soft, just looking at YR, couple of showers and a bit of wind!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 37,515 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've often played in way worse weather along the west and northwest coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Hmm, you're being a bit hard in them

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/04/us/pineapple-express-storm-california-weather-monday/index.html

Well I hadn't read about the flooding so it's understandable.

I was referring to the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Is the tournament over so or tomorrow?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Not a great look for their signature series!

3 rounds, I guess they'll cancel the owgr points so.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

These no cut tournaments annoy me. The WGC events were so boring.

What is worse is there is no backup tournament for all those left out of these signature events. So they are left at home and being doubly penalised by not being allowed play and losing ranking and fed ex points as a result. .

There should be a backup up tournament. If they had a backup tournament I'd be watching it and not the signature event. I'll probably start giving these a miss shortly. I'll watch Phoenix because of that 16th hole.

Thing is you won't have a Sam Ryder and beer flying everywhere, Harry Higgs taking his shirt off or James Hahn from a couple of years back playing well and entertaining the crowd.

• Advertisement

Phoenix is not a signature event this year. Full field with cut and all the better for it. Plus we'll have Shane to cheer on.

That's great, looking forward to it. One of my favourite tournaments, just so much entertainment and so much can happen over the final four holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Whatever about wgc events as a whole, the no matchplay events just makes every weekend dull over time. Especially asthe course was so good for matchplay.

Signature events are just a poor, tame response to LIV, can see why Rory is saying PIF investment is needed in the sense that its better to have them on their side in terms of money, the inevitability of it all is here

You don't need all this money. Every top golfer will be worth a couple of hundred million in the forties.

Who needs anymore than that?

Tiger could have doubled his net worth by joining them but he didn't.

They need a principled player to stand up and tell the truth about these Saudis and what they've done.

To say that anybody joining their tour is nothing short of a cretin.

How would you think that would play out? I'll tell you how, the PGA tour wins. The fans would be fully behind it and they'd start booing the 'cretins' at majors. The Saudis would see this and decide it's time to leave golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Got to respect Spieths stance.

On Wednesday Spieth said the PIF were not necessarily needed for the PGA Tour anymore given the $3 billion investment by the Strategic Sports Group, which includes Liverpool FC’s owners.

RMcI said the Saudis “wouldn’t have been too happy” about Spieth’s comments, and he had a “frank discussion” over an hour-long phone call with Spieth. He said not having PIF as a partner is “not an option” for golf.

“They are still sitting out there with hundreds of billions of dollars, if not trillions, that they’re gonna pour into sport. If I were PIF and I was hearing that coming from here, the day after doing this SSG deal, it wouldn’t have made me too happy, I guess?”

Spieth called RMcI to check in after noticing the 34-year-old had left a group chat comprised of top Tour players. “I just want to remove myself from the fray a little bit,” RMcI said.

I'll bet he does! His pals Jimmy Dunne and Yasir Al-Rumayyan will have told him such.

Oh I agree with you, players should be called out and heckled for it. Looks like where Rory is now coming from is a position of one where he realises that pga tour cant compete long term with Saudis. Its exactly what they want, splinter the tour then get involved that way.

Do like how groups working with LIV have revealed how theyve been threatened with jail time in Saudi if they comply with the investigation, what lovely guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I see Cristobal Del Solar shot 57 in a Korn Ferry tour tournament today, lowest ever score in a PGA sanctioned event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

And he still wouldn't win the St Brigid's Open in Tipperary.

Think it's the senate or something looking at the merger. Groups are those hired by LIV, consultant groups

• Advertisement

The KFT is arguably a better standard than an average European tour event these days

I don't know the ET although decimated under Pelley is still probably underated generally.

The 10 or so guys that have recently got their cards (granted they were some of the best performers) have been dominating early leaderboards on the PGA.

I just read that the course played effectively less than 6000 yards when altitude is taken into account, so I withdraw my previous comment 😂

Pavon has been class to be fair, McIntyre seems to be really struggling though, interesting to see some of the journeyman Euros over there

When Scottie Scheffler is holing putts it's all over.

Charlie Hoffman trying to hang in there. He'd be the dream winner for the sponsors as he's sponsored by them.

Scottie I think is the best tee to green player I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Scottie going for three in a row at the Phoenix .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know Europe just hammered America in the Ryder cup and maybe this particular event , is a particular event - but it is a bit depressing not one European in the top 20

Rory and Rahm - not around a big problem for me - I actually Like Scheffler (unusually) - but I'm kind of struggling to get too excited about this batch of yanks / pros.

Well Scheffler is the best in the world without question. He was better than Rahm before he left.

I couldn't care less if there's Europeans in it. I'd like to see Irish players contending but I prefer Americans to continental Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I guess I'd be in this camp a bit in fairness - just a bit stark . Look, is one event - but I can't ignore LIV at this point.

The number of names that have left the PGA - the split of the tours. Players don't play every event like this one for example.

So if a few stars are at LIV or not at the event you are watching like Hovland / Rory / .Rahm at LIV -

I'm just wondering has the game the depth to carry two tours - This top 10 not exactly stay up past midnight / I'd be interested in Young - but they don't show him.

What am I getting at - there are less and less stars to carry events.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I just can't warm to the Phoenix Open at all....the frat boy behaviour from the galleries gets old really fast!

A bunch of American t**ts who can't hold their booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I was disappointed for Hoffman though, I would have liked to have watch him get the win.

Advertisement