Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Paddy Cosgrove the biggest wanker in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,125 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Defence Forces who have carried out many atrocities as has Hamas and Islamic Jihad?

Yes, he is comparing them, based on what we know for a fact they have all done.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not a mod in After Hours - I'm just your regular riff-raff here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Hamas is a fundamentalist militia that both the United States and the European Union consider a terrorist organization. It has beheaded, raped minors in front of their parents, murdered, kidnapped 222 innocent Israelis back to Gaza, set babies on fire etc....and you think that is comparable to Israel, the only / most democratic country in the middle East? Does the USA and the EU consider Israel to be a terrorist organization? No it does not.

Neither Israel nor the IDF have ever been formally charged with committing war crimes. I think that shows considerable restraint, considering many of their neighbours want them wiped off the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭CrazyEric

In the Transcript Mary Lou is discussing the same subject matter before and after but according to you the part in the middle is not the same matter? Yeah right. Now you are embarrassing yourself... and you are still here derailing another thread because someone had the temerity to mention Mary Lou in a bad light. She is not infallible and non of us expect her to be, except you, you shouldn't be so hard on her, she is only human. We all thought it was Israel who had bombed the hospital based on initial reports, we now have learned to question those initial reports coming from 2 opposing bitterly divided viewpoints.

You are making assumptions.

Generally in conflict/war situations I would use the word ‘alleged’ until it is proven.

i.e. the British ‘allegedly’ colluded in the Dublin/Monaghan bombing.

Same as the specific hospital bombing. I don’t know who did it.

To jump to conclusions either way is wrong given what know about what both sides have done on the past.

Always question.

• Advertisement

Have Hamas been convicted of war crimes or formally charged?

Is this the US you are accusing of using fake Irish passports in order to conduct covert assassinations on another thread?

Dear lord, the twisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I wonder what Padser is up to now he doesn’t have his Twitter account or company to keep him occupied? A nefarious individual like him with time on his hands is a dangerous thing.

You are a great man at derailing a thread, I'll give you that.

Hamas are a terrorist organization and as such are not the forces of a democratic state. The fact is they have fired hundreds of indiscriminate rockets in to Israel over the years, they have even made and openly brag about making the water pipes Israel was supplying them with water in to rockets.

Not for the first time, they kidnapped Israelis 10 days ago and took them back to Gaza. That is why the EU and USA call Hamas terrorists, and not Israel.

As regards passports, I said on another thread there were over a million Irish passports sold last year alone. I am sure some Americans in the middle East would travel with them, why would they not? I am not interested in who bought the million plus Irish passports or for what purposes a small number of them may have been put to - set up another thread on that if you so wish.

Back to the point, do you not think Mary Lou McD should put her hands up and apologise for accusing Israel carpet bombing Gaza's medical infrastructure etc when it turned out there were not hundreds dead (as she claimed) and it was not a Israeli missile ( or it would have left a crater )? Most of us thought it was Israel who had bombed the hospital based on initial reports, but Mary Lou McD of all people gave us the lecture on carpet bombing and she has not clarified or apologised for remarks / mistakes she made in her speech.

At least Paddy Cosgrove gave some sort of an apology for remarks he made, and resigned. So the title of this thread, the biggest w*nker in Ireland, has to be one of our Irish politicians who have equated Hamas, a terrorist organization according to both the EU and USA) with Israel, the only democratic country in the region.

Paddy Cosgrave got some shock when he realised the effect his comments had on his business and workers.

Wonder will our workers will get the same shock if our politicians ( already looked on in Israel as the most hostile in the western world) continue to make the same comments?

Post edited by Francis McM on

You said Israel have not been charged with war crimes, I asked you to show where Hamas where.

If Israel has not been charged and so are innocent of the allegations, then so too are Hamas surely?

The fact is Israel have previously broken international law in the eyes of those who uphold International Law. Guess who abstained on that motion?

Mary Lou thread somewhere else thaddaway if you want to continue discussing her.

Hamas are a terrorist organization ( according to our EU, and according to the USA as well ), while Israel is the most democratic country in the middle east, so the 2 are not equatable.

• Advertisement

Do you believe all war crimes should be treated equally?

Yes or no?

Everyone has now watched the video and drew their own conclusions from it as to who is responsible.

You say I am making assumptions, you present a completely different narrative on what Mary Lou said to everyone else who read it, you "assume" what she meant and even try to imply that the transcriber may be presenting it incorrectly as a defense, you used to be so much better at this Francie.

Paddy Cosgrove may lose his title. Allegedly.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Somebody giving a speech listing of things an making a point about them isn’t that unusual.

Her point about the hospital bombing is at the end: nowhere is safe in Gaza. That could also include they are not safe for Hamas.

And I never said diddly about the transcriber being incorrect. I said you didn’t seem to realise that she didn’t arrange it in paragraphs.

Politicians don’t write up the Dàil record.

Do better yourself.

FRANCIE. "And I never said diddly about the transcriber being incorrect. I said you didn’t seem to realise that she didn’t arrange it in paragraphs."

CRAZYERIC " you "assume" what she meant and even try to imply that the transcriber may be presenting it incorrectly as a defense

Read carefully Francie. If you cannot understand what I said don't try and put spin on it, which is exactly what you were doing with Mary Lou's speech. I called you out for splitting the paragraph to try and make it appear that she said something different. Her point about the hospital is bang smack in the middle of the paragraph. Not at the end. you are starting to twist and turn so much you are falling over yourself.

I don't need to do better, this is too easy.

Feck off with Mary Lou , the pair of you.

She spoke in sentences with points.

I quoted the sentences and points.

If she was blaming Israel she would have said it exactly as she had no problem blaming them by name for destroying the medical infrastructure.

She referenced the hospital bombing to make the point that ‘nowhere is safe in Gaza’.

If you have to infer she said something you are losing.

Good luck, only repeating ourselves here.

You are not repeating yourself. You keep changing and twisting your own words. Trying to derail a thread because you don't agree with something. You have form.

. No conspiracy my paranoid fellow poster.

Thread is all yours. Say what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ireland was the first country to catapult Paddy out so we have no blow back. He has openly said his money is overseas and has spent the last couple of years slagging off Ireland as corrupt to anyone that would listen.

The problem is with Portugal, they already had huge pressure during covid when Paddy was taking the circa 11m a year even when it was virtual. The population was not impressed

They have since resigned a contract with him and from the press release it would sound like they handed him over more money. What happens if people drop out in thousands?

You have to wonder why Web Summit is covering all social media with advertisements in the last few weeks if the so called claimed registrations haven't been hit. Also the comments I seen under those advertisements tells it own story

The only issue potentially it that it was clear, to me anyway, that SF had promised him something for the love in over the last few years. They picked him to try persuade the MNC's they would be good for Ireland, talk about picking the wrong person. If SF get into government now and are clearly linked with Paddy that could cause concern for the MNC's but guess work of course.

• Advertisement

IBM are gone now as well., following the lead of Google, Meta, Stripe, Siemens, Amazon, Intel etc.

The ethics of basing a web summit in Qatar are extremely questionable - especially by Cosgrove, who has slagged off our government here as being very corrupted. He has forgotten the same government here got him on his feet in the early days with taxpayer funding of over half a million for his web summit back in 2009 as far as I remember.

I would say Cosgrove is not only the biggest wanker in Ireland, he has to be the biggest in Europe at this stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

By definition, a terrorist organisation is committing war crimes. The deliberate targetting of civilians with no military objective, as Hamas did on October 7th is a war crime and would be sufficient in itself to have Hamas declared a terrorist organisation. That doesn't even take into account the civilian hostages that Hamas took. Israel will be about to learn what the Disappeared means.

You have identified the big issue in your last paragraph.

It is impossible to discern a difference between Clown Paddy's worldviews and those of Sinn Fein. Looking at how the multinationals have run a mile from Paddy, why on earth would we elect a Sinn Fein government?

Both have been accused of war crimes by Amnesty, the WHO, Human Rights Watch and other governments.

Both are being investigated by the ICC.

And if you think only Israeli's have been 'disappeared' in the conflict/war, then you are a fairly obvious victim of Israeli propaganda and are not doing due diligence.

Whatever you think of Cosgrove, and I don't think about him much tbh, at least he stood up and was counted as a voice calling for even treatment of the two sides in the conflict/war. Same as the President and government have called for.

If multinationals want to protect profit, that is their prerogative, (and I think that is what they are doing) but if they are endorsing what is going on in the region, then multinationals are the problem.

The most idiotic of claims around Hamas and Israel is that they should be treated the same. Clown Paddy has been at the heart of this claim and it shows a complete ignorance of international law.

State actors: They bear the legal right to use force and military power according to their wishes.

Non-state actors: They have no legal right to use military force and power as per their will, unlike the state actors.

In Ireland, we have a cohort who still try to justify the actions of the PIRA and they continuously fail to understand this distinction. By using violence, Hamas are de facto and de jure in breach of international law and are committing war crimes. For Israel, the situation is much more nuanced and tied in with the rights of a state to defend itself. How this repeatedly needs to be explained is beyond me.

Just read your last 4 words, no need to read the rest. " multinationals are the problem".

There we have it folks, you have over 50,000 posts advocating and arguing the SF position. The people who pay the vast bulk of the corporation tax in the country, and who directly employ over 100,000 in well paid jobs, are the problem.

Paddy Cosgrove isn't the biggest wanker, because I'm not sure who he is... Paddy Cosgrave on the other hand is.

I draw your attention to the bolded bit. You are wrong. International Law applies to both. You cannot hide behind having 'democratic legitimacy'.

The rules apply both to wars between nations and conflicts, like that between Israel and Hamas, in which one of the parties is not a state.

Another key document in the law of war is the founding Rome Statue of the International Criminal Court, which defines as war crimes acts including intentional attacks on civilians, civilian settlements or humanitarian workers, destroying property where not militarily necessary, sexual violence and unlawful deportation.

Apologies, it is the more common variant in these parts. Hadn't realised I was doing that.

• Advertisement

Yes, they are, if they are trying to silence on behalf of Israel.

I don't think they are, they are simply protecting their brand and their profit as they do.

If they were working on behalf of Israel they would be leaving Ireland because our Taoiseach and President have said the exact same things as Cosgrave has said and of course as you say 'Israel see us as the most anti Israeli country in the west' too.

*Looks around - have the multinationals left? Nope, still here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement