Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Paddy Cosgrove the biggest wanker in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Tork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Paddy's learning how the real world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That is pretty much game over for it now, there is no chance it can operate with all these names pulling out.

That is a very steep fall from grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I get the feeling that these big companies were just waiting for a chance to break ties with him/web summit.

God only knows what strong-arming he did of them over the years. He can’t lash out at them now for not attending. Nobody will pay any attention even if he does. Google PR etc. will give the thumbs up to walk away from this aberration, unscathed.

This might be the end of the Web Summit in its current form but it unfortunately won’t be the last we hear of this dose with his media connections.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

No.

But Liam Cunningham is.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ULEZ23

clearly a case of ego out of control and an inflated sense of importance, built up over the years by all his nodding sheep Twitter followers as he posted his political thoughts and criticisms from his high horse.

As smart as he thinks he is he failed to see the house of cards he built where the end result is that web summit brand is so intrinsically linked to him they are one and the same, so any fall from grace for him will be the same for the web summit.

I’m a way the companies pulling out are probably glad to cut this event long term as it’s a tough time for them revenue wise and probably wild expensive as paddy knows how to charge.

I also read that he had a bad week in the courts, former business partner suing him and also lost a €20k damages case against a landlord.

Excuse the dumb question but is there really a need for a web summit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Administrators Posts: 53,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Web Summit is basically a big networking / social event.

Web Summit themselves would have you believe that it's a place where tech trends and direction is set, total bullshit.

Is it useful? It has a purpose. Would there be any real impact if it disappeared? No.

• Advertisement

Well yes, for Paddy to make money. He also has Collision over here in Canada, which had a bit of baggage with it recently as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its useful for getting people in the same place but if it dies another conference will pop up to takeover any need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Of course not but is there really a need for any corporate conference.

These are just corporate jollies that for most attendees have zero return on the investment other than keeping a handful of employees happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭pjordan

He should’ve learnt his lesson from Kevin Myers!! Other question is will The Ditch survive this (of course it’s small beans and a bit of a plaything for Paddy to be a thorn in the side of the parties in Govt here so unlikely to be a huge drain on his finances!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Cosgrave said he intended to fund The Ditch to the tune of a million quid over 5 years. You’d imagine Roman “Rent” Shortall and the other two are sweating it at the moment. Checking the tyre depth of a TDs car and sending in planning requests to councils costs money. They don’t use advertising and I can’t imagine they have a huge amount of subscribers.

I’d be brushing up on the CV.

Meanwhile the founder of The Ditch, Chay Bowes, is over in Moscow being a useful idiot for the Putin regime. If you lie down with dogs then you wake up with fleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah I cant see how the ditch survives without moving into a heavy subscription model and lets be honest the people who read it wont pay whats required to keep it going OR going with advertising which will mean it needs to make attempts at proper journalism and not just petty agenda driven waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Tinter Box

At least in these dark times bad things still happen to bad people 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This has been coming for years now.

Cosgrave needs to be put back in his box.

Hopefully this is the end of his farcical web summit Bullshite

As a precious poster said, the stories of his “temper tantrums” are well known around the tech world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Rumour has it that Cosgrave is obscenely wealthy, like a decamillionaire. I have my doubt though, I think he’s all talk and no trousers in the finance department.

There was one story that he mad people wear the sweaters in the office in Lisbon when it was roasting, because his wife designed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

PC will land on his feet, the likes of him never suffer apart from bruised egos.

It the millions that would have been spent in Lisbon gone and all the staff directly and indirectly employed that will lose their jobs that I feel sorry for.

All because this guy still thinks he’s still 21 and in the Trinity Debating Soc and it’s up to him to put the world to rights.

Best advice I ever got about work was that if you find yourself in a job with a toxic leader, get out as soon as you can because it will all come crashing down one way or the other.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Poor paddy..a man who thinks his opinion needs to be heard .

Maybe now he'll head home and keep quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭bmc58

Where has he gone,auld Big "turn it down to a trickle" Phill? Not sadly missed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Phil is doing all right for himself, and has good connections. He would an ideal steady hand for the job, if the Web people decide to drop the disruptor model.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/10/07/phil-hogan-declares-1m-revenues-from-consultancy-firm/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Meta pulled out

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Ditch was always expendable, the whole idea was that if some of the dubiously fact-checked allegations it printed turned out to land it in legal hot water Paddy could just cut that pair of clowns loose.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭geographica

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭geographica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭deezell

I'd nominate the Hamas lover Boyd Barrett as the biggest Wanker. He is completely ok with the slaughter of teenagers at a music festival, and of women, children and babies burned alive in thir homes. Petrol under the door. The work of real men, eh, Eyeball to eyeball. This could be at electric picnic, your kids. Thats what hamas are capable of. Then their jihadi mates fire bomb the civilians outside a hospital and have the gall to blame Israel. And he believes it. Wanker. With his terrorist scarf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement