Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Berlin in Dame St be closed down?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gannicus wrote: »
    Why are the poll results hidden. Do you work for the Gubberment or do you work in the Berlin itself?

We're all meeting up in Berlin D2 on Sunday at exactly 14.11 to find out the results of this long awaited secret poll. Its 25 euro for your admish and your dish, desert festival fash is obligatory bitches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Gannicus wrote: »
    Why are the poll results hidden. Do you work for the Gubberment or do you work in the Berlin itself?

OP is in discussions with Daily Mail and Liveline to see which hysterical outlet will pay most for the rights to a screaming headline

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

In fairness, it's not as if she doesn't court the attention. While she may play down the fact that she considers herself an influencer, she doesn't mind and actively encourages it when people describe her as such when she thinks it may be profitable or it is in a positive light.

https://www.hotpress.com/culture/irish-influencer-performer-jess-brennan-love-life-sex-22791264

I understand that she may be your friend, but she has willingly put herself in the public domain for monetary gain and for exposure. It is not unreasonable for people to comment on her if they have negative opinions of her.

Fame and notoriety are two cheeks of the same arse. You need to be prepared to suffer the bad with the good if the product you are selling is your privacy and your dignity.

The questions in that interview... :facepalm: :sad:
    Is there a pressure on you to be ‘on’ all the time – once you step outside the front door, you have to look hot and sexy?

You’ve got loads of sex appeal. What role does sex play in real life for you?

Tell us a bit about how you would choose a sex partner?

What did you think of Maura on Love Island? Is she your idea of sexy?

In Hot Press we’re big fans of the new sexual diversity. What’s your take on all of that?

I'm embarrassed to admit I ever bought it. Mind you a lot of them are going downhill, but somebody has scraped through the bottom of the barrel with that tripe.

Gone very quiet here, possibly because gardai have confirmed as many of the more measured people here who don't read the daily muck or get excited over fakebook hysteria thought.

"Neither the owners nor staff at the Berlin D2 bar in Dublin can be prosecuted for the scenes witnessed on the premises last weekend as they broke no laws and were not in breach of any Covid19 public health regulations.

Garda sources said having reviewed the video they had reached the same conclusion as the owner and nothing arose that necessitated a prosecution.

While the footage led to controversy, Garda sources have told The Irish Times no laws or regulations were broken."

a lot of egg on face about I suspect

silver2020 wrote: »
    Gone very quiet here, possibly because gardai have confirmed as many of the more measured people here who don't read the daily muck or get excited over fakebook hysteria thought.

"Neither the owners nor staff at the Berlin D2 bar in Dublin can be prosecuted for the scenes witnessed on the premises last weekend as they broke no laws and were not in breach of any Covid19 public health regulations.

Garda sources said having reviewed the video they had reached the same conclusion as the owner and nothing arose that necessitated a prosecution.

While the footage led to controversy, Garda sources have told The Irish Times no laws or regulations were broken."

No egg on my face. If you are the opinion that what was shown in the video is acceptable behaviour during a pandemic, then I have no respect for you or your opinion

It may not have been illegal, but it was certainly irresponsible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

No egg on my face. If you are the opinion that what was shown in the video is acceptable behaviour during a pandemic, then I have no respect for you or your opinion

It may not have been illegal, but it was certainly irresponsible

It was quite irresponsible to discharge people into care homes but I don't see anyone in the HSE or such losing their jobs because of it.

Illegal and irresponsible are different things.

I don't believe anyone thinks it's acceptable but what the Garda statement shows is how weak and ignorant the Governments response to the pandemic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's because a lot of Irish regulations are not the law. In the same way as cocooning was not a law. Of course if you read the article they are looking into how to change this. Nice selective quoting btw.

It was quite irresponsible to discharge people into care homes but I don't see anyone in the HSE or such losing their jobs because of it.

Illegal and irresponsible are different things.

I don't believe anyone thinks it's acceptable but what the Garda statement shows is how weak and ignorant the Governments response to the pandemic is.

I think Ireland likes to do policing with consent. It works for majority of decent people but for scum you need laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There are no regulations here they can enforce, but it's a proven fact the event was for 3 hours while the max time inside a pub serving food is 1hr 45 mins as per the public health advice. Even if you want to disregard that ridiculous video.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cereal_Killer

I’d imagine the same scenes are happening in pubs up and down the country, and unfortunately for Berlin the person who live streamed it had a significant following.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

There are no regulations here they can enforce, but it's a proven fact the event was for 3 hours while the max time inside a pub serving food is 1hr 45 mins as per the public health advice. Even if you want to disregard that ridiculous video.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not a pub it's a cafe the 105 minutes is only if 2-metres is not possible.

Physical distancing of 2-metres should be maintained between tables. However, if this is not possible, this can be reduced
    to 1 metre in controlled environments if all of the other risk mitigations requirements outlined have been met AND pre- booked time-limited slots are in place, which are a maximum of
    1 hour 45 minutes duration.

https://failtecdn.azureedge.net/failteireland/Guidelines-for-Re-opening-Restaurants-and-Cafes.pdf

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's because a lot of Irish regulations are not the law. In the same way as cocooning was not a law. Of course if you read the article they are looking into how to change this. Nice selective quoting btw.

No selective quoting whatsoever

I did omit a couple of additional lines

neither he, nor any of the staff, committed any offence that might result in a Garda investigation, according to informed sources.

and

So the gardai said that after viewing the cctv they confirm absolutely that no laws OR regulations were broken. In fact they have gone out of their way to say it four different ways in one statement just in case any hysterical karens don't get it the 1st, 2nd or 3rd times.

Frankly the garda statement cannot be clearer

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/berlin-d2-bar-to-avoid-prosecution-over-controversial-scenes-say-garda-sources-1.4334236

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The only that proves is that Guidelines that rely on consent are inadequate and that the government has failed to pass laws to prevent unsafe practices that will cause Covid to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Gone very quiet here, possibly because ...
    Kudos, you entirely missed the point. And by a very long way.

Zulu wrote: »
    Kudos, you entirely missed the point. And by a very long way.

No point was missed. All the naysayers saw something that wasn't there, jumped on a bandwagon and couldn't be bothered to actually look properly at the clips.

I and a few others pointed this out time and time again and certain posters vilified our posts.

Gardai have been abundantly clear that no laws and no regulations were breached.

No point missed, just used my own eyes to see that it was nothing like the outrage the wild hysterical karens all had about it and their jealousy that people were enjoying themselves

No selective quoting whatsoever

I did omit a couple of additional lines

neither he, nor any of the staff, committed any offence that might result in a Garda investigation, according to informed sources.

and

So the gardai said that after viewing the cctv they confirm absolutely that no laws OR regulations were broken. In fact they have gone out of their way to say it four different ways in one statement just in case any hysterical karens don't get it the 1st, 2nd or 3rd times.

Frankly the garda statement cannot be clearer

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/berlin-d2-bar-to-avoid-prosecution-over-controversial-scenes-say-garda-sources-1.4334236

From the sane article:

Those measures are guidelines that publicans have been asked to follow rather than regulations they must follow. And because the Government decided the measures should be advisory rather than “penal”, gardaí have no enforcement power.

They have no power to close a pub on the spot and have no other enforcement powers at their disposal to take action against pubs.

Under long-standing legislation, which predates the Covid-19 pandemic, if gardaí find any workplace environment they believe poses a health risk they can inform the Health and Safety Authority. It has the power to apply to the courts for a business closure order.

Gardaí also have the power to object to a liquor licence being granted at a pub’s annual liquor licence hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Bunch of bloody SJW, lefty, bandwagon jumping, snowflake Karen's, the lot of ye.

When's the next thrash fash bash and whats the admish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No point was missed....
    Ah right, you're just being deliberately obtuse. Got it.

Bunch of bloody SJW, lefty, bandwagon jumping, snowflake Karen's, the lot of ye.

When's the next thrash fash bash and whats the admish?

3 fiddy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gardaí also have the power to object to a liquor licence being granted at a pub’s annual liquor licence hearing.

And in this case, almost certainly will do so.

Misbehaviour that doesn't break the law is enough to lose a licence; and when it comes to the COVID recommendations the barrister who actually wrote the book (not figuratively) on the process has said that it'll be a dead cert.

You can appeal etc but it could be months closed entirely and with no supports; the usual process to get the licence back is to sell the premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd be very surprised if they closed it/denied it a licence. But the whole thing is a beautiful gift for the government to further ignore the calls of the rest of the pubs and nightlife staff/entertainment/live music industry.

But you know... "tHe gARds sAid wE dID nOtHIng iLlegal" so let the vindicated fire away with the indignant status updates for even more delish hits on social media.

#justiceforberlin etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

From the sane article:

Those measures are guidelines that publicans have been asked to follow rather than regulations they must follow. And because the Government decided the measures should be advisory rather than “penal”, gardaí have no enforcement power.

They have no power to close a pub on the spot and have no other enforcement powers at their disposal to take action against pubs.

Under long-standing legislation, which predates the Covid-19 pandemic, if gardaí find any workplace environment they believe poses a health risk they can inform the Health and Safety Authority. It has the power to apply to the courts for a business closure order.

When in a hole, stop digging.

Nothing to see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Jess is pretty bang on here.

When Simon Harris was Minister for Health, he oversaw a health service which completely abandoned nursing/care homes which resulted in the deaths of over 1200 old people.

But he is outraged by a few young people dancing.

https://www.thejournal.ie/berlin-d2-jess-brennan-5181390-Aug2020/

Simon * Harris

MOD NOTE: *SNIPPED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Irishman80 wrote: »

When Simon Harris was Minister for Health, he oversaw a health service which completely abandoned nursing/care homes which resulted in the deaths of over 1200 old people.

Simon Harris.

The majority of which were privately run profitable businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lundstram wrote: »
    Because people were in there enjoying themselves?

No.

All the old Facebook fogies having a conniption over this video. Hilarious stuff.

Ya reckon it's just the old fogies having a conniption? Because it ain't sir. Plenty of young lads and ones losing their minds over the pubs.

The majority of which were privately run profitable businesses.

Are you suggesting the Minister for Health does not have the obligation to address privately run profitable businesses in the Health Care sector at the height of a pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

Simon Harris.

Hah! Funny that they choose to show a pic of the bartenders behind.

Here's one of her directly from Google :
    https://images.app.goo.gl/qB2hLxWv4wdFT4jn7

Now who would most people pay verbal attention to?
    The minister for health or "that"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Simon * Harris

MOD NOTE: *SNIPPED.

Mod note: Dial it back while you still have an opportunity to do so here.

Buford T. Justice

Mod note: Dial it back while you still have an opportunity to do so here.

Buford T. Justice

No problem, will do.

• Advertisement

The response from the influencer is exactly as expected. No culpability, no remorse and no responsibility taken. It's good she referenced the government and their golf outing as it was equally as reprehensible.

No laws broken.

No ****s given.

Apparently people can only act responsibly if there is a law to permit them doing otherwise.

Same pricks that think we live in a nanny state.

Advertisement