Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Berlin in Dame St be closed down?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

dotsman wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with Covid-19, it's human nature. Once people starting breaking some rules, then there is no clear line and, thus, other rules get ignored as well. And as long as there are stupid, impractical rules, people will consistently break some rules.

No, no, I perfectly understand what you're saying, I just disagree. You have clarified that you think the rules are stupid but haven't really backed that up; you've used some made up, Monty Pythonesque rule about yellow shirts to make the point but if the new rules are so stupid why not make the point by reference to them?

The truth is the existing rules are not stupid, ambiguous or unenforceable. I was in Toners last week and our group was split into two tables not near each other. At one stage someone from the other table decided to join us for a while and the barman simply told us there were too many people at our table and he went back to his original seat. Nothing difficult about it. They're being enforced in pubs up and down the country with little fuss (though I'm not naive enough to think Berlin are the only ones violating the rules).

But even if there were some stupid rules it wouldn't result in the situation you describe. Many people break rules (such as streaming or downloading content) they consider stupid without confusing them with other rules they consider fine. There's no confusion involved. The reason people don't enforce mask rules in shops is because at this stage the staff know the kind of person not wearing a mask is the kind that's only going to get thick with them; not worth their time.

As for the patrons saying the rules were being followed up until the incident in the video, I'm not sure I believe them, but even if it's true the incident happened and I doubt that after getting up and starting dancing the crowd suddenly went "Jaysus, what are we thinking lads?" and returned to their seats afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Whats the reason why meat factories are untouchable? Its been alluded to several times on this site. Political dynasties who own them not wanting their procedures looked at? Pressure to cover up the working and living conditions of the workers? Massive backhanders?

Seems really odd that pubs and shops etc can be closed in the blink of an eye but they are so reluctant to do the same with meat factories...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Earthhorse wrote: »
    No, no, I perfectly understand what you're saying, I just disagree. You have clarified that you think the rules are stupid but haven't really backed that up; you've used some made up, Monty Pythonesque rule about yellow shirts to make the point but if the new rules are so stupid why not make the point by reference to them?

The truth is the existing rules are not stupid, ambiguous or unenforceable. I was in Toners last week and our group was split into two tables not near each other. At one stage someone from the other table decided to join us for a while and the barman simply told us there were too many people at our table and he went back to his original seat. Nothing difficult about it. They're being enforced in pubs up and down the country with little fuss (though I'm not naive enough to think Berlin are the only ones violating the rules).

But even if there were some stupid rules it wouldn't result in the situation you describe. Many people break rules (such as streaming or downloading content) they consider stupid without confusing them with other rules they consider fine. There's no confusion involved. The reason people don't enforce mask rules in shops is because at this stage the staff know the kind of person not wearing a mask is the kind that's only going to get thick with them; not worth their time.

As for the patrons saying the rules were being followed up until the incident in the video, I'm not sure I believe them, but even if it's true the incident happened and I doubt that after getting up and starting dancing the crowd suddenly went "Jaysus, what are we thinking lads?" and returned to their seats afterwards.

Correct Earth, only a dumbnuts given the advertising blurb for this ‘event’,
    and the video on show would believe that a complete tongs had been made of the health regulations.

These coins jepordised the whole pub trade and made fools the compliant majority and then came the auld soldier .

People defending this crap are challenged, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

dalyboy wrote: »
    Yeah he was pouring the drink at a distance. There didn’t seem to be any sharing of bottle or glasses etc.

So if pouring drink from a distance is a concern now what happens when it’s raining outside? Does that spread infection too ? The entire world is gone batsh1t insane

Pouring from a distance

523219.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Darc19 wrote: »
    I can't see the issue here.

There were 7 people at the bar area. They were not crowded together.

A little "dad dancing", zero contact between people. Some had face coverings.

But the covid police just hate anyone having fun and not doing things according to what they think.

Fair play to Jay bourke for effectively telling the naysayers to take a jump.

BTW, I seen more people closer together in my local aldi and lidl stores

The same Jay bourke who's disqualified as a company director... https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/jay-bourke-has-disqualification-extended-to-7-years-1.3157901

Isn't fit to run a pig sty.

If you watched the video, everyone but the dancing barman who had them, was removing them to take their shots. Or are you saying people are drinking and wearing face masks at the same time :D‚ away with ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Darc19 wrote: »
    Can you or some other covid warrior please tell me the law that was broken.

And will the naysayers actually look at the video rather than follow the sheep.

Covid Warriior and sheep in one post.

So edgy.

You could have gotten plandemic in as well for the hat-trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Whats the reason why meat factories are untouchable? Its been alluded to several times on this site. Political dynasties who own them not wanting their procedures looked at? Pressure to cover up the working and living conditions of the workers? Massive backhanders?

Seems really odd that pubs and shops etc can be closed in the blink of an eye but they are so reluctant to do the same with meat factories...

It's not either / or. What happens or doesn't happen at meat factories has absolutely no relevance to this incident or others.

But at a high level, the food supply chain has needed to continue to work at capacity throughout the height of the lockdown. People need to eat. People don't need to stand shoulder to shoulder with strangers at a bar and have the same dirty bottle shoved into each of their mouths in turn.

The same Jay bourke who's disqualified as a company director... https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/jay-bourke-has-disqualification-extended-to-7-years-1.3157901

Isn't fit to run a pig sty.

If you watched the video, everyone but the dancing barman who had them, was removing them to take their shots. Or are you saying people are drinking and wearing face masks at the same time :D‚ away with ye

The guy was making a total joke about the whole incident this this morning.

Someone should ensure he pays dearly for that ‘joke’.

Incredible stuff, someone needs to teach these coins a firm lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dalyboy wrote: »
    Yeah he was pouring the drink at a distance. There didn’t seem to be any sharing of bottle or glasses etc.

So if pouring drink from a distance is a concern now what happens when it’s raining outside? Does that spread infection too ? The entire world is gone batsh1t insane

Look at the video again. He was pouring directly into someone's mouth. Almost like a money shot in certain adult entertainment videos that I've heard of.:pac:

Why are people arguing with indisputable evidence?

What happened there should not have happened.
    Even without Covid if I walked in to a bar on Saturday afternoon and saw a barman swinging from the bar pouring out shots I'd be turning on my heels.

I don't think it was just a moment of madness as Bourke says. It was a bad event that shouldn't have happened.

That being said, that should be it. Bar should clean up it's act and if it complies in future then leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We need to eat. We dont need booze

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Look at the video again. He was pouring directly into someone's mouth. Almost like a money shot in certain adult entertainment videos that I've heard of.:pac:

Why are people arguing with indisputable evidence?

What happened there should not have happened.
    Even without Covid if I walked in to a bar on Saturday afternoon and saw a barman swinging from the bar pouring out shots I'd be turning on my heels.

I don't think it was just a moment of madness as Bourke says. It was a bad event that shouldn't have happened.

That being said, that should be it. Bar should clean up it's act and if it complies in future then leave it at that.

Based on his performance on MI and previous form, there is no way a promise of ‘future compliance’ would be any way acceptable.

Making fools of people, time to drop the hammer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

But it's a 'trendy', 'edgy' restaurant..
    Barman dancing on the bar to Mr. Brightside.. Hope he didn't step in any dog sh*t on his way to work, or vomit from the customers outside the door.
    Even without covid, it genuinely looks like a kip full of twats.. :D

As mentioned before, it was a smack in the face to all of the pubs that aren't allowed to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

IRE60 wrote: »
    I’m not going to be an apologist for Jay – but – he’s the venue owner. The organiser of this event is a self-titled ‘influencer’ and there are similar events scheduled for this weekend.

yep some self described Instagram model and influencer called Jess Brennan organised it and has other boozy brunches upcoming. She took a lot of flak on Twitter yesterday and made her Instagram account private too.

This is her

jessb1-640x640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

murpho999 wrote: »
    Covid Warriior and sheep in one post.

So edgy.

You could have gotten plandemic in as well for the hat-trick.

I thought it was pronounced sheeple

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

quokula wrote: »
    Pouring from a distance

523219.png

Pouring into his mouth. Mouth isn't over the bottle, any residue is being sterilised from the alcohol. Excellent work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yep some self described Instagram model and influencer called Jess Brennan organised it and has other boozy brunches upcoming. She took a lot of flak on Twitter yesterday and made her Instagram account private too.

This is her

jessb1-640x640.jpg

I'm thinking Jay Bourke and Jess Brennan could make good guests for the Late Late show...

boombang wrote: »
    I'm thinking Jay Bourke and Jess Brennan could make good guests for the Late Late show...

Don’t big up these tossers lake a good lad.

Guests in a large secure building on the NCR more appropriate, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Pouring into his mouth. Mouth isn't over the bottle, any residue is being sterilised from the alcohol. Excellent work

Are they drinking rubbing alcohol or something?

I can't tell if you're having a laugh or genuinely belive this.

circadian wrote: »
    Are they drinking rubbing alcohol or something?

I can't tell if you're having a laugh or genuinely belive this.

Don’t bite circ....... that’s his plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

[QUOTE=Wanderer2010;114334904]Whats the reason why meat factories are untouchable? Its been alluded to several times on this site. Political dynasties who own them not wanting their procedures looked at? Pressure to cover up the working and living conditions of the workers? Massive backhanders?

Seems really odd that pubs and shops etc can be closed in the blink of an eye but they are so reluctant to do the same with meat factories...[/QUOTE]

You mean untouchable like Kildare Chilling, of which so much was talked about with the outbreak there last week, and is currently one week into a two week closure?

That kind of untouchable?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

The guy was making a total joke about the whole incident this this morning.

Someone should ensure he pays dearly for that ‘joke’.

Incredible stuff, someone needs to teach these coins a firm lesson.

He never pays mammy and daddy bail him out .he's like a 10th rate irish Donald trump fail fail fail again don't fulfil your obligations to your staff and when it goes arse over tit piss away some more of daddy's money .....brilliant talented irish businessman

He never pays mammy and daddy bail him out .he's like a 10th rate irish Donald trump fail fail fail again don't fulfil your obligations to your staff and when it goes arse over tit piss away some more of daddy's money .....brilliant talented irish businessman

Yeh Nasser, can’ t really argue with that.

Now I might be wrong but he seemed to be on good terms with the ‘police’ as he kept calling them.

Why not the Gardai?

Seemed to be quite unconcerned about their potential input into the operation of the premises.

One would have to wonder or raise an eyebrow on that scenario,in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Jay Bourke stated in his recent radio interview that he takes this very seriously, but, however, just because, etc. He also rushed up from West Cork to deal with this. However, excluding meat processing plants I think it’s a self entitled generational issue. Camden Street was heaving on Friday night. Wasn’t elder fellas or granny’s strewn across the street in very large groups ten sheets to the wind. Gardaí don’t want to police it & a significant proportion of the young generation couldn’t give a fiddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The Intoxicating Liqueur Acts

Where was the offence under this?

It was properly licensed and it was during licensed hours.

brucky wrote: »
    Jay Bourke stated in his recent radio interview that he takes this very seriously, but, however, just because, etc. He also rushed up from West Cork to deal with this. However, excluding meat processing plants I think it’s a self entitled generational issue. Camden Street was heaving on Friday night. Wasn’t elder fellas or granny’s strewn across the street in very large groups ten sheets to the wind. Gardaí don’t want to police it & a significant proportion of the young generation couldn’t give a fiddlers.

Now, have to say he didn’t seem on MI to be taking it very seriously.

The advertising blurb for the ‘event’ didn’t support that serious uptake.

The ‘argument’ he put forward was that it was ‘only twenty seconds ‘ of mayhem

I ask you who would remotely believe that given the advertising.

It is a generational issue, but will jay sell two or three of his premises to pay the cost for the spread of this disease he seems to be happy to spread or will he throw his hands up in the air and let the taxpayer.....you and me dude... you and me... take the hit, while he seems to be quite happy spread it around the place.

And then drive up from west cork to make another mealy mouthed excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Route1

Anyone have a link to jay bourke’s radio interview? Met him a few times, lovely fella a true raconteur. For me the blame lays of the feet of that absolute howiye Jess Brennan, the tart.

brucky wrote: »
    Gardaí don’t want to police it

None of it is a criminal matter. Its a health matter and doesnt carry Garda powers. Social distancing is not enforceable in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

None of it is a criminal matter. Its a health matter and doesnt carry Garda powers. Social distancing is not enforceable in law.

Is running a business when you're a disqualified director not a criminal offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The sight of a grown man clearly visible in the video with a backwards baseball cap should be enough to warrant draconian licensing action on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Is running a business when you're a disqualified director not a criminal offence?

He was banned for 7 years the ban has passed I think so he's now free to run a business badly again..... did he ever pay his former employee the €50,000 awarded to her by the courts or was it the labour court ? ?

Advertisement