Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I just hope that anyone who stumbles across this thread understands that posters such as myself are not voyeurs or obsessed either. It is just a total bafflement as to why these people do this. But we don't often find out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Fcuk me ,that japanesse case is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

The guy who killed his wife Siobhan with the vacuum cord. Brian Kearney.

I think there absolutely should be a list of these monsters when they are released. But GDPR... forgot that one.

I agree. About 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer, time flies) Larry Murphy was pictured on Bride Street, central Dublin, with a story of him trying to book in to a hostel there. I work in a nearby pub, I was reading the story in work, from the Star or Sunday World or other. Thinking, imagine if that fúcker walked in. I wouldn't recognise it as him only his picture was in the paper. Gave me the creeps thinking about it!
    He's particularly notorious. Suspected of involvement in a lot more than he was convicted of.
    Also, I'd have refused to serve him!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

After being reminded of Mark Nash and Larry Murphy, I remember I worked with this dude in 2000. He was there for a month or two before being fired. He was a highly strung nut job. Years later I saw an article saying he was wanted in Europe as a suspect in a murder. Instantly recognised him. Gonna google what became of this!

https://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-help-in-search-for-dutch-murder-suspect-dj-morgandroid-493076-Jun2012/

Edit: He murdered a woman, was eventually caught, and got a 25 year sentence. Jesus.

https://m.independent.ie/life/my-summers-with-dutch-murderer-morgan-schreurs-30409081.html

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned Marc Dutroux.

I am from Belgium and it would not be an understatement saying that it shook the whole nation. It was made even worse when Dutroux escaped (but quickly caught again). It was greeted with disbelief and anger. How could a monster like that so easily escape? Ministers resigned, police inadequacies exposed causing reform of the justice system.

This crime was of such a magnitude that it still sends shivers down my spine thinking of it.

Another shocking crime were the Brabant Killers (Bende van Nijvel). A true crime spree between 1981 and '85 attributed to the same gang. They targeted shops and supermarkets with violent attacks and murdering people that got in the way. The gang was never caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

One case that strikes me was raised online locally recently because an anti-TUSLA activist decided to rope this guy in to her gang & live-streamed him on YouTube over his TUSLA grievances.

Convicted of manslaughter in 2003/2004; sentenced to something like 12-14; only did 6-8 & was out by 30, 31 or so.

When you live in a small town these things reasonate; I still see him & his missus walking about & despite what he maintains, that he gets dogs abuse on the street, I've never heard them getting verbals at all.

The victims fam didn't know about the video; it's since been privatised/taken down; total misjudgment on the activists part; what transpired though was the victim'd been accused of rape of defendants mother/attempted rape; this features prominently in reports from the time; it was a way of getting him a manslaughter conviction through provocation perhaps?

My reading of it at the time was the victim was being trialed by media as much as defendant; there wasn't a shred of evidence produced in court but yet it's reported on prominently; the fam when they got wind of video're quite unhappy it went ahead & family & friends came out online to defend him & castigate the activist & killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Denis nilsen aka DES

series just ended on virgin media there a few nights ago.

horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That guy Murphy (not Larry) who raped and murdered a German woman who was visiting Newgrange in about 2000. Hed just recently gotten out for killing another woman when he was in his teens for which he inexplicably got manslaughter. Fellas like him, Nash and Dwyer should never beat out again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Chris Watts.

Murdered his pregnant wife and 2 toddler daughters. Dumped the kids in oil tanks and buried the wife close by.

Went off to work like nothing happened and googled song lyrics about killing your family.

Total nutjob.

Brian Hennessy.

Raped and strangled a woman on Christmas eve and then burned the house down with 2 little girls asleep in their beds.

This one always stayed with me. Absolute scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

xzanti wrote: »
    Chris Watts.

Murdered his pregnant wife and 2 toddler daughters. Dumped the kids in oil tanks and buried the wife close by.

Went off to work like nothing happened and googled song lyrics about killing your family.

Total nutjob.

Brian Hennessy.

Raped and strangled a woman on Christmas eve and then burned the house down with 2 little girls asleep in their beds.

This one always stayed with me. Absolute scumbag.

I don't understand why Watts just didn't leave. Terrible crime. And the doll picture is very creepy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Most gang/anti social related murders probably not being mentioned here but 2 that happened in west Dublin in past 5 years have stood out to me -
    The case where the father and 3 sons drove after another lad who had taken few shots at the house over a drugs debt, when they caught up with him they rammed it, hacked at him with various axe/machete type weapons, and then drove over him.
    The case in Ronanstown, Halloween bonfire night, where Robbie Ellis was chased by a gang of feral thugs, when they caught up with him as he ran for his life into a residents house, and they stabbed him and he bled to death in the garden he had fled to. Nobody has been charged for this one.
    Even if these 2 victims led a dodgy lifestyle they didn’t deserve to meet these ends.

I don't understand why Watts just didn't leave. Terrible crime. And the doll picture is very creepy too.

Did they ever get to the bottom of why he sent that picture? Sha'nan didn't seem to react to it.

Did they ever get to the bottom of why he sent that picture? Sha'nan didn't seem to react to it.

I think she saw it as a joke. They probably didn't work out why unless he said something about it. His family, particularly his mother were difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I think she saw it as a joke. They probably didn't work out why unless he said something about it. His family, particularly his mother were difficult.

Doesn't Chris Watts' mother still bizarrely blame Shann'an for her own murder?

Doesn't Chris Watts' mother still bizarrely blame Shann'an for her own murder?

Possibly seeing as she saw nothing wrong giving food containing nuts to one of those kids who had a nut allergy.

Possibly seeing as she saw nothing wrong giving food containing nuts to one of those kids who had a nut allergy.

They seemed to know he was having an affair.

From the dialogue between Chris and his father in the interrogation room, it would appear that he certainly knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

The Sinn Fein denied knowledge of incident.

They're a political party possibly going into government but there are decades of serious crimes they refuse to cooperate with police investigations, perhaps obstructing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Nitrogan wrote: »
    The Sinn Fein denied knowledge of incident.

They're a political party possibly going into government but there are decades of serious crimes they refuse to cooperate with police investigations, perhaps obstructing.

Same could be said of both FG & FF, just not as recent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The fairly recent case of Patricia O Connor. The horrific details of the murder and disposal of her body but bizarre as well the involvement of several family members. The daughter seems to be a right oddball and the granddaughter who dressed up pretending to be the dead woman seems to be on the spectrum judging by the photos of her laughing going into court.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are probably many murders that have gone under the radar now too here.

So many, difficult to remember them all. We only seem to remember the high profile cases, but each murder must be a tragedy for the families concerned.

There was a terrible incident in Cobh for example. Michael Greaney. He killed his wife and then himself.

And the awful Cavan incident, and the dad who killed his two sons having driven away. God it is depressing to think about the sadness surrounding all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The fairly recent case of Patricia O Connor. The horrific details of the murder and disposal of her body but bizarre as well the involvement of several family members. The daughter seems to be a right oddball and the granddaughter who dressed up pretending to be the dead woman seems to be on the spectrum judging by the photos of her laughing going into court.

There's a book out, or due out soon on this case called Croweded House by (Newatalk & other media outlets) Courts Reporter Frank Greaney.

Any females involved in such atrocities? Sometimes men have to acknowledge their anger towards women. It is usually man on woman or on kids.

Has to be said.

But no doubt someone will come up with a woman, yes they are out there for sure, but honestly it is usually men. Don't know why but it is a fact.

You know from watching documentaries on Netflix but not just Netflix, a lot if not all of Psychopaths who were Male had abusive Mothers who Mentally abused and humiliated them as Boys.

Brings back the question, are Psychopaths born or raised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They seemed to know he was having an affair.

From the dialogue between Chris and his father in the interrogation room, it would appear that he certainly knew.

The Netflix documentary was very good. It painted Shann'an as being somewhat intense and living vicariously through FB. I have seen young mothers in particular share EVERYTHING family related on that, but she took it to a whole new level. Obviously she didn't deserve to be murdered, and Watts should have done the honourable thing and just left.

But his cold, calculated nature creeped me out. Looked completely remorseless throughout. I had read about that case on here, but watching the documentary afterwards, it will stick with me forever. Insane levels of evil.

I'm late to the thread and have read some pages but not all, one of the most disturbing cases in my time were James Bulger, being a 10 year old myself at the time but I was still shocked that Boys around my own age could do something like this to a 2 year old, that will never leave my mind especially now having my own Boys aged nearly 5 and 6, I could not ever imagine anyone hurting my Boys in such an Evil way especially 10 year olds ffs.

There's also the case much closer to home here of Larry Murphy whom abducted a young Woman in Carlow Town one evening after She finished work and ended up in the wicklow hills to meet her death when 2 Lads Hunting illegally came upon the scene and Murphy fled and the rest is history but oh how lucky that poor woman was to survive and who bets Murphy killed Jo Jo dullard ? and maybe more ?

I watched the Netflix Documentary of Ted Bundy, Jesus almighty the extent of Human depravity and Man's inhumanity to Man never ceases to disgust me.

I have very little tolerance to violence and I don't like graphic violent movies and I also wonder how can People make such disturbing movies ?

I'm just thinking now of the time when the detectives came around to the houses where I lived including mine asking the usual questions in the Jo Jo case, I was of course only 15 and it was a but unnerving having detectives in the house asking us all questions of course they were nice to me asking just basic questions they had to ask everyone, I suppose they must have felt they were wasting such valuable time. We were in the next town a few Kms from Moone where Jo Jo made her last contact from the phone box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Jordan Peterson gave a very plausible explanation as to why men are more likely serial killers and such, think it’s down to the nature of agreeableness, where women are many many times more agreeable than men.

begbysback wrote: »
    Jordan Peterson gave a very plausible explanation as to why men are more likely serial killers and such, think it’s down to the nature of agreeableness, where women are many many times more agreeable than men.

It's mad though where in the case of many Male serial killers they had an Abusive Mother.

Society today still can't see Mental , emotional abuse by Women as being actual abuse which isn't really known until their Male Children reach adult hood and more difficult to prove perhaps after they have killed many Women while they think of the abuse from Mammy.

Some of the Worlds most notorious serial killers had been abused by their Mothers but as I said, mostly Male Violence towards Women is seen as abuse while abuse carried out by Mothers remains ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It's mad though where in the case of many Male serial killers they had an Abusive Mother.

Society today still can't see Mental , emotional abuse by Women as being actual abuse which isn't really known until their Male Children reach adult hood and more difficult to prove perhaps after they have killed many Women while they think of the abuse from Mammy.

I don’t think it’s down to specifically mammy or daddy, the key is abuse, I remember that doctor explaining it well in Ice Man, Richard Kuklinski, where a question arose how he ended up like that but his siblings didn’t. His take was a bit of both nature & nurture.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CivilCybil

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-found-not-guilty-of-murder-by-reason-of-insanity-1.835527

This one always stuck with me as I lived nearby at the time.
    Man with mental illness seeks help numerous times in the leadup. Can hear voices and is a danger to himself and others. He was let down by the mental health system.

Then one night he sees a guy locked out of an apartment, sleeping in the hallway. Complete stranger to him but the voices say he's the devil. He stabbed him over 100 times with a garden shears.
    I always remember thinking it could have been any of my friends or co-workers or housemates that man happened upon that night. Absolutely tragic and probably avoidable if the man who committed the act had the right support when he'd looked for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

"L'yin eyes" Sharon Collins case made the headlines back in the day. You couldn't
    make it up.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/lying-eyes-freed-from-jail-after-four-years-but-told-she-cant-leave-country-26897053.html

Advertisement