Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I reckon he'll get out on appeal.

I reckon he did it, but I still think he'll get out on appeal.

Reckon?

He absolutely did it..

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

The two poor Polish guys who were stabbed with a screwdriver in their temples by a young Dublin lad. I will always remember that. I think out of sheer sympathy and sadness of course. But mainly shame and embarrassment to be Irish when word filtered through to the Polish people. It was absolutely shocking.

And the disgraceful sentences handed down to their murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Me I think, no doubt he did it, but it may have been a torture that went wrong and too far. He tied her up out there in the bush, and along with that and the various fresh stab wounds he inflicted, when he went back to release her few hrs later or maybe even next morning if it was a particularly bad punishment, he found her dead.
    Even if this is true and he went with it at the trial, I do t think a jury would have given him a manslaughter. That guy was so sick and depraved he was only getting out with a murder conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Won't happen IMV but if it does, we may kiss goodbye to justice here forever more.

That poor vulnerable woman god help us all.
    walshb wrote: »
    Reckon?

He absolutely did it..
    Me I think, no doubt he did it,

Like I said, I think he did it so I'm not standing up for GD but he has a few things in his favour.

1. They don't have a 100% cause of death for EoH. This is a big thing. There is very little evidence that she was murdered.
    2. Dwyer won his appeal on the phone records so it may turn out that they were inadmissable - and without the phone records, there is precious little to link him to EoH's disappearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I wish i hadnt read that
    So do I. It's just appalling. Beyond belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

The story of Genie is a quite an old one but incredibly horrific and disturbing on so many levels. Her father was incredibly paranoid and isolated his daughter from the age of 20 months until she was 13, severely abusing her and permanently stunting her physical and mental development. From wiki:

"Genie (born 1957) is the pseudonym of an American feral child who was a victim of severe abuse, neglect, and social isolation. Her circumstances are prominently recorded in the annals of linguistics and abnormal child psychology. When she was approximately 20 months old, her father began keeping her in a locked room. During this period, he almost always strapped her into a child's toilet or bound her in a crib with her arms and legs immobilized, forbade anyone from interacting with her, provided her with almost no stimulation of any kind, and left her severely malnourished. The extent of her isolation prevented her from being exposed to any significant amount of speech, and she did not acquire language during her childhood as a result. Her abuse came to the attention of Los Angeles child welfare authorities in November 1970, when she was 13 years and 7 months old."

After her rescue, she allegedly had the mental capacity of a 13 month old baby, had never eaten solid food, was unable to visually focus on objects more than 3 metres away (due to confinement in the bedroom) and looked extremely stunted for her age (the social worker who first encountered her thought she was only 6 or 7). Her vocabulary consisted of 15-20 words, including the phrases "stop it" and "no more". While she eventually acquired language skills to some degree, she never fully developed a first language.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Does anyone remember Marilyn Rynn who was murdered at Christmas in Blanchardstown where she lived.

The murderer was apprehended by DNA that survived because of the cold weather apparently. A kind of normal guy by the sounds of it, but obviously not in the end. He's probably out and about now.
    I wouldn't be a tiny bit surprised if he is out now. Same goes for many other murderers also.

He's still locked up in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Chap up the road was found tied to a chair with towel stuffed in his mouth and face beaten off him.

Wouldn’t have known him well but lived a quiet life, worked locally and didn’t seem to have any enemies. House not broken into and nothing touched or stolen. This was 79/80 I think.

Nobody ever found and there was never anything further about it.

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's still locked up in Dublin.

Yes. Seems to be still in. There were reports from 5-6 years ago about his imminent release..

Hopefully at least another 10-12 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Scissor Sistors and what they done and the Anna Krigal murder. Absolutely so terrible and so said what happened to that poor girl and the age of the culprits who done it was very disturbing too. I hope they rot in prison and are never let out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

The story of Genie is a quite an old one but incredibly horrific and disturbing on so many levels. Her father was incredibly paranoid and isolated his daughter from the age of 20 months until she was 13, severely abusing her and permanently stunting her physical and mental development

That's incredibly sad. I read the article hoping to hear her parents had been imprisoned, but doesn't mention it. How could somebody do that to a child. It's.. incomprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Trans Ann wrote: »
    I heard he was having an affair with one of his students and she became pregnant. Rumours though.

Was he not in a primary school though? One of his students sounds a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I hope your wrong. He deserves to rot in jail for what he done to that poor vulnerable young woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Without doubt the Jamie Bulger murder in 1993, where a 2 year-old toddler was abducted from a Liverpool shopping centre by two 10 year-old boys, horrifically tortured and murdered. I didn't think it possible that 10 year-olds could do something so heinous!
    agreed. Was just about to say that. Just shocking stuff.

One that stuck with me recently was the killing of baby Joshua by his animal of a father, John Tighe. In 2013 he murdered his 6 months old son by ramming a wad of tissue down his throat...despicable. Delighted when I heard he was caged!

walshb wrote: »
    One that stuck with me recently was the killing of baby Joshua by his animal of a father, John Tighe. In 2013 he murdered his 6 months old son by ramming a wad of tissue down his throat...despicable. Delighted when I heard he was caged!

Not a dig at you, but I hate The Sun newspaper style of language "caged sex beast", etc. The crimes are disgusting enough to speak for themselves without added emphasis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I remember a solicitor violet quinn being stabbed in her home in donnaghmede.

I know someone was arrested but don't know if anyone got convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Easily The Ken & Barbie Killers. Seen a docu about them in the late 90's and had nightmares about them quite a few times after.

Don't watch if you're someone who's often said they'd wished they'd not read about some crime as this pair did some pretty horrific things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Im not sure if this has been mentioned already but the one murder that has stuck with me was the "two screwdrivers & a hammer" murders. I think thats what it was called. Two teenagers videoed their abduction of two people & a cat, torturing them with the screwdriver and the hammer. It was horrific and still to this day the video sticks with me as a stark reminded of the evil that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Easily The Ken & Barbie Killers. Seen a docu about them in the late 90's and had nightmares about them quite a few times after.

Don't watch if you're someone who's often said they'd wished they'd not read about some crime as this pair did some pretty horrific things.

Didn't watch it but read up about it. Horrific stuff.

• Advertisement

Im not sure if this has been mentioned already but the one murder that has stuck with me was the "two screwdrivers & a hammer" murders. I think thats what it was called. Two teenagers videoed their abduction of two people & a cat, torturing them with the screwdriver and the hammer. It was horrific and still to this day the video sticks with me as a stark reminded of the evil that exists.

Not sure if it's the same one you're talking about, but there were two teenage Ukrainians in late 2000s who abducted and killed people and animals. I thought it was about 20 people but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Not sure if it's the same one you're talking about, but there were two teenage Ukrainians in late 2000s who abducted and killed people and animals. I thought it was about 20 people but could be wrong.

Yeah I think that's one but I thought it was the two people and the cat :confused: bastards

Yeah I think that's one but I thought it was the two people and the cat :confused: bastards

Rough enough.
    From wiki....

The Dnepropetrovsk maniacs (Ukrainian: Дніпропетровські маніяки, Russian: Днепропетровские маньяки)[nb 1] are Ukrainian serial killers responsible for a string of murders in Dnipropetrovsk in June and July 2007. The case gained additional notoriety because the killers made video recordings of some of the murders, with one of the videos leaking to the Internet. Two 19‑year-old locals, Viktor Sayenko (Ukrainian: Віктор Саєнко, Russian: Виктор Саенко), born 1 March 1988, and Igor Suprunyuk (Ukrainian: Ігор Супрунюк, Russian: Игорь Супрунюк), born 20 April 1988, were arrested and charged with 21 murders.[2][3]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Not actually a murder.... But almost. The abduction that Larry Murphy was committing on the night he was caught... Coz I knew the locations involved and I knew his victim to see and it was way too close to home

Also, I think I cried for 2 days after Dunblane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

There was a high profile rape case in Dublin I think around 1993/94. The perp was given the name "the Cheerio rapist" as he mockingly said cheerio to his victim when he was leaving her house. This chap was posing as I think a workman or something and gained entry to the house where the woman was alone, I think it was a middle class estate. It was featured on crime line and there was a very detailed photofit issued from the victims description. Does anyone remember this case and if anyone was ever apprehended? I cant find any details online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

There was a high profile rape case in Dublin I think around 1993/94. The perp was given the name "the Cheerio rapist" as he mockingly said cheerio to his victim when he was leaving her house. This chap was posing as I think a workman or something and gained entry to the house where the woman was alone, I think it was a middle class estate. It was featured on crime line and there was a very detailed photofit issued from the victims description. Does anyone remember this case and if anyone was ever apprehended? I cant find any details online.

I remember it

Zarco wrote: »
    I remember it

Did they find him?

Did they find him?

That's what I was curious about. I seem to remember from the time that Gardai had had checked with UK police and could find no similar case with that modus operandi with a guy of that description either in Ireland or Britain and they seemed stumped. Apparently the rapist forced the woman to take a shower after he raped her so there was a no DNA evidence to go on. The photo-fit issued of the suspect was very detailed. He had a moustache and swept back hair.

That's what I was curious about. I seem to remember from the time that Gardai had had checked with UK police and could find no similar case with that modus operandi with a guy of that description either in Ireland or Britain and they seemed stumped. Apparently the rapist forced the woman to take a shower after he raped her so there was a no DNA evidence to go on. The photo-fit issued of the suspect was very detailed. He had a moustache and swept back hair.

Was there that much awareness of DNA around 93 / 94? I would have thought that came in later years.

• Advertisement

Was there that much awareness of DNA around 93 / 94? I would have thought that came in later years.

The first murderer to be caught through DNA was Colin Pitchfork in the uk in 1987. It would have been established by early 90s albeit still in its infancy.

Advertisement