Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

What misfortune this beautiful young lady, Rachael Kiely had when she was walking her dog in her local park.
    This evil sick bastard ended her young life in the beautiful surroundings of Ballincollig Park.
    Looking at his history since then,and some of the characters he has mixed it with, its hard to imagine he will live a long and happy life.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/victims-mother-first-to-meet-murderer-on-way-from-crime-26045187.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-30897064.html

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

The killing of Missy Bevers and the CCTV footage of her killer. (Unsolved)

In terms of sickening, sadistic torture, reading about the Hi Fi murders is very very grim. Read at your own risk etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Fi_murders

The garden shears killing mentioned above always stayed with me. Always bothers me when someone is so close to safety, - also to stab someone over 100 times must take some time, can't help but wonder in those situations why no-one tries to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The murder of Jill Meagher in Melbourne in 2012 was very chilling. The cctv of the murderer/rapist approaching her and her trying to politely go about her way was very sad to see. Hard to believe it n a busy street and a not so late hour in the night/morning and so close to her home, a walk she probably did many times alone, that she was so unfortunate to cross paths with this scum who had committed serious crimes before and couldn’t help himself again that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Michaela Harte definitely hit home at the time; I remember my boss telling myself and my colleague (we were both in our early 20s and in our first job after college) to stop reading about it, as he was getting worried about how upsetting we were finding it. There was just something so self-identifying about it; very normal Irish girl just running back up to her hotel room for some biscuits to have with her cuppa.

Another one was Karen Buckley- I was living in Toronto at the time and regularly had girls' nights out with a gang of other Irish ladies (all in our late 20s at that point). We all found it really upsetting as we could see how easily you wouldn't be missed for a day or two living so far from home. We implemented a 'got home safe' phone tree system for nights out after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

johnayo wrote: »
    What misfortune this beautiful young lady, Rachael Kiely had when she was walking her dog in her local park.
    This evil sick bastard ended her young life in the beautiful surroundings of Ballincollig Park.
    Looking at his history since then,and some of the characters he has mixed it with, its hard to imagine he will live a long and happy life.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/victims-mother-first-to-meet-murderer-on-way-from-crime-26045187.html

That guy is pure evil. As with Graham Dwyer his family continue to stand by him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bob Gray

Michaela Harte definitely hit home at the time; I remember my boss telling myself and my colleague (we were both in our early 20s and in our first job after college) to stop reading about it, as he was getting worried about how upsetting we were finding it. There was just something so self-identifying about it; very normal Irish girl just running back up to her hotel room for some biscuits to have with her cuppa

This one has also stuck with me because my wife and I went to the same resort for our honeymoon in 2007, many a time she would tip back to the room while I'd stay out sunbathing. It nearly sickened my stomach when I read about it.
    I share the same surname as her in real life (no relation though) so it stuck out when I read it first but then as the details came in, it was just so shocking and heartbreaking to say the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

There have been many over the years-James Bolger especially will always stand out as one of the most horrendous ever. The Hennessy case in Kilkenny-was abroad at the time and only heard about it much later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Tia_Sharp

One that particularly resonates with me was the case of 12-year-old Tia Sharpe case, who failed to return to her grandmother's house where she was staying for the weekend- most probably because of the horrific circumstances surrounding it. Also in UK when it happened and the media coverage was huge, something which, I've no doubt at all, the perpetrator hadn't bargained for when he committed the crime, hoping when it all died down, he's just move the body and nobody would be any the wiser.

Police searches (three in all that week) of the small council-house revealed nothing. Media coverage was huge with journalists and police permanently on the scene. Her mother and stepfather had moved back to the house. Massive searches ensured by the locals, posters and candle-lit vigils all over the news. At one point the (step) grandfather gave a televised interview, where he denied having anything to do with her disappearance. I'd had my suspicions all along about him which were confirmed at that moment. Turns out the police did as well.I did wonder what he'd done with the body though, given the house had been searched on three occasions.

It was sweltering that summer-right in the middle of a heatwave. The grandmother reported a very bad smell in the house to the police, who organised another search of the premises. On this occasion, they found Tia's body in the attic, where Hazell (grandfather ) had hidden her a week earlier. Apparently the family never suspected him and it must have come as such a shock to think she was there all along, in one case right above the bedroom where they were sleeping. The grandmother had taken in this loser a few years earlier (heaven know why since he had a rap sheet as long as my arm, for drugs assaults, no job etc) and this is how he repaid them.

He pleaded not guilty (even at one point trying to pin it all on a neighbour given the lofts were conjoined and then passing it off as an accident) putting the family through more torture during the trial. He only changed his plea in order to prevent the true extent of his depravity from coming out during the trial.

Thankfully he got 38 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I don’t want a wave of horrifying images and cideo
    links, but I lived in France a while back and every night on the news they had a sequence that showed and listed the names of the french journalists that were missing overseas or murdered in their line of work while reporting on or investigating crimes.

I cannot imagine more horrific than some of the monstorous crimes that have been committed on journalists - people going about their poirlg paid jobs and fragile careers. Thankfully the cage burnings, knofings and beheadings have been largely removed from the internet. Horrifying beyond belief. Any nobody held to account for them.

I see today another Islom-facist beheading and knifings/murders in a church in coastal nice. Imagine - you go to light a candle for
    someone and your head is sawn off your body as you fight for your life against a screaming maniac with a meat cleaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bob Gray wrote: »
    This one has also stuck with me because my wife and I went to the same resort for our honeymoon in 2007, many a time she would tip back to the room while I'd stay out sunbathing. It nearly sickened my stomach when I read about it.
    I share the same surname as her in real life (no relation though) so it stuck out when I read it first but then as the details came in, it was just so shocking and heartbreaking to say the very least.

What has always got me about the Michaela Harte case was the pure madness of it and how it escalated from a burglary to a murder. Like I dont think for one minute the two employees had ever set out to commit a murder, they were in her hotel bedroom to steal money and jewellery. They got caught red handed when she walked in but instead of taking their punishment of getting fired from their jobs they go miles over the top and kill her instead.

It was just pure madness in a busy hotel that they went that far to cover up a burglary. Like how did they think this was going to turn out, that they would keep their jobs and everything would be fine? I just cant get over the madness of it all, it was so unnecessary. Then you throw the trial of the two employees into it and that turned out to be a complete circus with the local police completely messing up what should have been an easy conviction. It was awful stuff for the families, justice was denied by police incompetency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Michaela Harte definitely hit home at the time; I remember my boss telling myself and my colleague (we were both in our early 20s and in our first job after college) to stop reading about it, as he was getting worried about how upsetting we were finding it. There was just something so self-identifying about it; very normal Irish girl just running back up to her hotel room for some biscuits to have with her cuppa.

Another one was Karen Buckley- I was living in Toronto at the time and regularly had girls' nights out with a gang of other Irish ladies (all in our late 20s at that point). We all found it really upsetting as we could see how easily you wouldn't be missed for a day or two living so far from home. We implemented a 'got home safe' phone tree system for nights out after that.

Pretty sure her friend's reported her missing the night she went missing.

Edit: Just read details again, it was noon the following day when they reported it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Don’t know if it has been mentioned, but the Range Rover murders from 1995. Three fellas killed with shotguns at very close quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

It is the local things that stay with you even if you weren't born at the time for example the boy my age who was killed by car in 90s aged 6 outside my church and the young IRA men from my townland who were killed by their own bomb 20 years before I was born. That stuff is engraved in the fibres of the parish.

In regards to worldwide famous crimes I would say the Virginia Tech killing, I remember how the news kept saying how quiet he was and this man reminded me of myself in many ways so. I also received taunts at school with people saying I was going to shoot the school, this is the treatment I had to put up with.

Jayney Lad, my 1st Cousins Boyfriend & Her're 2 Emos with serious issues but both live normally in the community (relatively speaking); I've 'em down as most likely to arm themselves with AKs in each hand someday & go walking down our village shooting at anything & everybody that moves; it is something I'm legit concern'd by albeit it may not manifest itself in such a horific scenario.

However he did pubicly post that he'd shoot up Maynooth Campus in Springtime 2018; think he posted this in April as 3rd Level Students were studying for their finals etc.

Now he was "spoken to" on the doorstep & logistically he'd've been half the day getting there with public transport & I don't know if he has access to weapons; hope not!

But you can imagine how scared students who read his threat were; I think there'd been yet another High School shooting in USA fairly recent to that threat like.

He's well known for his aggression too & lashes out repeatedly; rarely suffering any legal consequences but they'd be a Bonnie & Clyde & I wish she'd dump his sorry ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

johnayo wrote: »

Yikes; reading his subsequent crimes; the amount of suspended portions of various sentences despite many occurring when out on bail isn't helping; that's as much a general comment on Irish judicial system as specific to this mind.

Bit mad it was manslaughter & not murder in the end though.

Know a lad where I live who got manslaughter; he used rape of his Mam as provocation & no alternative was put forward by prosecution; otherwise I think it'd've been murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Bob Gray wrote: »

Yep, we also honeymooned there in 2007. I remember specifically one day I went back to the room to get something and I wasn’t in the door and here was my husband behind me. I asked him what was wrong and he said he just didn’t want me back there on my own. At the time I thought he was a bit cracked, but when Michaela was murdered I could feel the hair stand up on the back of my neck. It is, really a tropical paradise and to think of what happened to her and no justice, sickening. Poor girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I've said it in this thread before, I heard about this girl here on boards, & it is by far the saddest thing I've ever read. Breaks my heart for what that young girl had been put through

It really is one that stays with you, isn’t it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

The murder-suicide in the north where the father set fire to the home.
    There was a young girl and other younger siblings

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Warrington Bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

A little girl in France was picked up outside her school by two people claiming to be her parents friends. They are going to drive her home. She was found dead in a well a few months later.

That's all the details I know, but what stuck with me is imagining the moment she sees the car driving past her home, and she realises they're not bringing her home, and the fear grows and grows as she understands she is in danger and completely powerless, and eventually it ends in death.

Horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Yikes; reading his subsequent crimes; the amount of suspended portions of various sentences despite many occurring when out on bail isn't helping; that's as much a general comment on Irish judicial system as specific to this mind.

Bit mad it was manslaughter & not murder in the end though.

Know a lad where I live who got manslaughter; he used rape of his Mam as provocation & no alternative was put forward by prosecution; otherwise I think it'd've been murder.

He should just be killed.

A group of men should take him up the mountains and kill him.

Society would be better off, even knowing such a vengeance killing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

It really is one that stays with you, isn’t it?

I'd never heard of it before this thread and your post, but I'll never forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The ariana grande concert in Manchester. I was working late in an office about 500m from the arena when it was detonated. Ill never forget the crowds of kids crying on the street after and speaking to a guy who had been working there and had to walk out through the area where the bomb went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

There’s another one here. Aoife Phelan poor girl was pregnant and killed by the baby’s father. He put her in a barrel and buried her under a hedge by his house. Every time I pass that house on the way to portlaois and see that hedge it gives me the absolute heebee jeebies. I can never pass by and not think of her, and it’s years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The case of Jamie Farrelley Maughan. She was a 14 year old girl in Cavan who was being groomed by an Brazillian guy. When she died in his house he just dumped her body in the back garden where it wasnt found till a week later. The scumbag did time for having underage sex with her but escaped more serious charges when he was deported before a proper investigation could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Air India Flight 182 that was blown up off the Cork coast in 1985.

As young fella growing up in West Cork it has never left my mind. I can distinctly remember a black and white pic on the Cork examiner from the hospital with a room full of body bags and personal effects including a doll.

I have had a morbid fascination with air crashes every since.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

The vowel thief operating in Tralee in the early 00's. He was stealing vowels from shop signs all over town. As far as I know he was never caught.

I don't mean to diminish any of the preceding horrific stories but it's one that's stayed with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

screamer wrote: »
    Yep, we also honeymooned there in 2007. I remember specifically one day I went back to the room to get something and I wasn’t in the door and here was my husband behind me. I asked him what was wrong and he said he just didn’t want me back there on my own. At the time I thought he was a bit cracked, but when Michaela was murdered I could feel the hair stand up on the back of my neck. It is, really a tropical paradise and to think of what happened to her and no justice, sickening. Poor girl.

Yes, Michaela McAreavey is another that shocked me. Not the most brutal murder but just how recognisable Michaela and her holiday beats were. The amount of times on holiday that I’ve nipped up to my hotel room separate from my husband, family or friends is countless at this point. And your hotel room is supposed to be your haven. She must have not been able to believe it was happening. And the holiday, whilst likely on the more luxurious end of the scale because it was honeymoon, was the type scores of people take every year (this year excepted).

And I just felt so heartbroken for her husband and family. Scarcely a week before, they had been celebrating her wedding. What a shock.

Also, she was the same age as me and that somehow made it stay with me. I felt like this could have happened to one of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I watched unsolved mysteries on netflix the other night, there was an episode on the THE DUPONT DE LIGONNES MURDERS. What a crazy story.
    Here is this aristocrat with this beautiful high achieving family, all of a sudden the neighbours find the house boarded up, police make a few visits and then find the 4 kids, wife and even the 2 dogs shot and buried out the back in black bags.
    The husband is the prime suspect, they track him but the last image of him is 11 years ago on a traffic cam, he's walking towards the hills with what looks like a rifle in a bag.
    Shocking like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

pawdee wrote: »
    The vowel thief operating in Tralee in the early 00's. He was stealing vowels from shop signs all over town. As far as I know he was never caught.

I don't mean to diminish any of the preceding horrific stories but it's one that's stayed with me.

I heard he was eating the letters and only stopped after he started on the U's. Apparently, he had a huge vowel movement! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    The ariana grande concert in Manchester. I was working late in an office about 500m from the arena when it was detonated. Ill never forget the crowds of kids crying on the street after and speaking to a guy who had been working there and had to walk out through the area where the bomb went off.
    Yeah something that will stay with me too. I was in the pub I work in for training (We actually closed the pub for the evening for the training as the crowd at the gig weren't a drinking crowd) and left it to go to my apartment in Angel Meadows at 10. Relaxing in the apartment I heard a loud bang. I naively assumed it was from one of the building sites nearby as there was loud noises going on all week. Only when I saw people running down our street with a look of terror did I realise something had happened. We originally thought it was a gas explosion but then the full story started seeping out. My boss had stayed in the bar and fair play he opened the doors and helped some of the wounded. I remember walking around the city in the following day and it was such an eerie feeling. There was a silence around that I had never experienced for or since despite there being plenty of people around. When the arena reopened I went to see Nick Cave there. It was a fairly haunting and melancholy atmosphere tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My sister was in Paris the night of the Bataclan shootings...only up the street in a bar. She was locked into the bar until 3am.

She walked past the scene a few days later and when she blood and glass everywhere it kinda hit her and she broke down.

Advertisement