Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

My sister was in Paris the night of the Bataclan shootings...only up the street in a bar. She was locked into the bar until 3am.

She walked past the scene a few days later and when she blood and glass everywhere it kinda hit her and she broke down.

The absolute horror of what happened there doesn't bear thinking about. I just cannot comprehend how people could purposefully inflict so much pain and terror on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,959 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Limerick man John Geary’s quadruple murder of his ex partner, their baby daughter, her 3 year old son, and her friend in 2010...

Stabbed all 4 to death..

This despicable animal is up for parole next year..

Article in today’s independent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

walshb wrote:
    Limerick man John Geary’s quadruple murder of his ex partner, their baby daughter, her 3 year old son, and her friend in 2010...

walshb wrote:
    Stabbed all 4 to death..

walshb wrote:
    This despicable animal is up for parole next year..

walshb wrote:
    Article in today’s independent...

Read that article, horrific.

The mother got a letter that he was entitled to apply for parole after only 4 years in jail.

I realise he was extremely unlikely to be granted parole, but that is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I have a feeling that the Kanturk incident will be in the memory for a long while. I don't recall ever hearing of a murder-double suicide before. Horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the Kanturk incident will be in the memory for a long while. I don't recall ever hearing of a murder-double suicide before. Horrific.

I actually cant stop thinking about it, almost to the point of where it is making me feel depressed. How a loving family could turn to hatred like that. Why didnt she just split everything 50/50, they had no money worries it seems so plenty to go around. The brutality of it all, the devil surely was at work here. Imagine murdering your lovely kind son you brought up and so proud of. Then allowing your wife to escape so she would have to carry that horror with her. I just cant make sense of it. Why couldnt somebody not have been a mediator, a priest, relative, neighbour, friend. The father and son must have been so upset and frustrated and aggrieved and perhaps there were other issues too but to plan a murder of your own flesh and blood, reminds of that bambrick guy who killed his family in England, all over money property too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Presumably there are all sorts of things in that 12 page letter that we're never going to see that might give some attempt an explanation.

But it is unfair of you to blame the mother for the deaths, asking why she couldn't have split it evenly. No action justifies that reaction.

I'm mad for details of the case and I don't know why. I just cannot wrap my head around a double suicide like that. I can't. It's unheard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Presumably there are all sorts of things in that 12 page letter that we're never going to see that might give some attempt an explanation.

But it is unfair of you to blame the mother for the deaths, asking why she couldn't have split it evenly. No action justifies that reaction.

I'm mad for details of the case and I don't know why. I just cannot wrap my head around a double suicide like that. I can't. It's unheard of.

There's been lots of mass suicides before

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Kanturk case has to a degree traumatised the area here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Trevor Deeley
    Sir Philomena Lyons
    Spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This Kanturk case is very disturbing. In cases of familicide it’s rare that there is more than 1 perpetrators, and if so usually would be a pair of siblings or even parents that make that awful decision. But for a father and son to do it, and both go through with it, I have never heard of this happening before. I can only assume the father was the driving force behind it. I imagine he was last to die after he had witnessed the son go through with his plan. The young lad must have been a bright fella too if he was about to graduate with a first class degree in accounting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

JimToken wrote: »
    There's been lots of mass suicides before

Of course, Jonestown etc, but I wouldn't class this event as a mass suicide. Nor can I ever remember anything like this, a murder followed by a double suicide by the perpetrators, in an Irish context before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Read that article, horrific.

The mother got a letter that he was entitled to apply for parole after only 4 years in jail.

I realise he was extremely unlikely to be granted parole, but that is disgusting.

The authorities have to inform the family of victims to canvas their views and to generally keep them informed or any potential temporary release. Nothing disgusting about that and it should be welcomed because it wasn't always that way before re notifying families. In this particular case it's unlikely he will be granted TR any time soon

McCrack wrote:
    The authorities have to inform the family of victims to canvas their views and to generally keep them informed or any potential temporary release. Nothing disgusting about that and it should be welcomed because it wasn't always that way before re notifying families. In this particular case it's unlikely he will be granted TR any time soon

I mean disgusting in terms of the short timeframe between sentencing and possible release (4 years for multiple murders)

I agree, it's unlikely he will be granted release any time soon as i stated in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

This Kanturk case is very disturbing. In cases of familicide it’s rare that there is more than 1 perpetrators, and if so usually would be a pair of siblings or even parents that make that awful decision. But for a father and son to do it, and both go through with it, I have never heard of this happening before. I can only assume the father was the driving force behind it. I imagine he was last to die after he had witnessed the son go through with his plan. The young lad must have been a bright fella too if he was about to graduate with a first class degree in accounting.

My mother used to say that if a man married into a farm there was always that thing hanging over him that it wasnt really his, but that is going back a long time. The father had a holding too. There certainly wasnt any money troubles, all had great jobs and rent from farms. By all accounts very well liked and respectable people with the dad was always cheefull in public. I guess Im from a farm and have known dispute in my time and a lot of anger but nobody was ever murdered. There was another shocking farming story a long time ago when i was a child, a worker killed the mother and daughter near wicklow town, he was of great help to them when the father died, he then turned on them and raped them and murdered them. Locals said he could have been a son of the father, that may have been gossip and rumour though. I think they had a farm near where president childers is buried....my father knew relations of them. I was very small when it happened but it so shocked people.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 The Guard

Being from kanturk, this has traumatised me big time. You don’t see these things happen where 2 people commit suicide and kill one other. What I think is the most horrific part is the luring back to the house (if true) and leave the mother go. It baffles me.
    I only knew them in passing, like you would in a community like ours.
    You just do not know what happens behind closed doors! Every family has its demons it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I mean disgusting in terms of the short timeframe between sentencing and possible release (4 years for multiple murders)

I agree, it's unlikely he will be granted release any time soon as i stated in my previous post.

Where you getting four years? Google and read parole act 2019

McCrack wrote:
    Where you getting four years? Google and read parole act 2019

From the interview with one of the victims of the crime in the independent today. Google and read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The Guard wrote: »
    Being from kanturk, this has traumatised me big time. You don’t see these things happen where 2 people commit suicide and kill one other. What I think is the most horrific part is the luring back to the house (if true) and leave the mother go. It baffles me.
    You just do not know what happens behind closed doors! Every family has its demons it seems

What's this part about? Who got lured back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Kanturk case has really shook me as well. Can’t stop thinking about it. The whole thing is incredibly sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

brookers wrote: »
    My mother used to say that if a man married into a farm there was always that thing hanging over him that it wasnt really his, but that is going back a long time. The father had a holding too. There certainly wasnt any money troubles, all had great jobs and rent from farms. By all accounts very well liked and respectable people with the dad was always cheefull in public. I guess Im from a farm and have known dispute in my time and a lot of anger but nobody was ever murdered. There was another shocking farming story a long time ago when i was a child, a worker killed the mother and daughter near wicklow town, he was of great help to them when the father died, he then turned on them and raped them and murdered them. Locals said he could have been a son of the father, that may have been gossip and rumour though. I think they had a farm near where president childers is buried....my father knew relations of them. I was very small when it happened but it so shocked people.

Theres a term in Irish Clann Isteach, heard some older relatives use it. It relates to when a man marries into a farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Classic favoured eldest son going on here. The eldest appears to have been favoured by the mother and was the 'golden boy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,331 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What's this part about? Who got lured back?

My guess was they were having issues. They pretended everything was okay or said something to get them home so they could carry out their plan.

But the mother and son would have returned to the house eventually.

The oldest son had left a note in the mother’s makeup bag saying he thought he was going to be killed by the other two so they knew the situation at home was very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭randd1

The bastard in primary who took my purple snack the day they brought the Liam McCarthy cup to the school. They handed out snack bars to everyone in the school as a treat, and some ars*hole robbed my one.

Still a mystery that has never been solved. Needless to say, I have no doubt the perpetrator turned out to be a drug-addled scumbag with zero morals and absolute disdain for society and decency.

fin12 wrote: »
    But the mother and son would have returned to the house eventually.

The oldest son had left a note in the mother’s makeup bag saying he thought he was going to be killed by the other two so they knew the situation at home was very serious.

Ya, I understand that but they should have felt it was safe to return for some reason and then things may have changed again when they returned.

Classic favoured eldest son going on here. The eldest appears to have been favoured by the mother and was the 'golden boy'.

It’s a classic case of some peoples sense of entitlement to things to me.

It’s a classic case of some peoples sense of entitlement to things to me.

I think that’s unfair, no one knows what goes on behind closed door, the younger son and father were living there , that was their home aswell. The whole inheritance was worth over 2 million. I don’t know would there be many people he wouldn’t be aggrieved by how it was being all given to one but obviously does not justify their actions.

fin12 wrote: »
    I think that’s unfair, no one knows what goes on behind closed door, the younger son and father were living there , that was their home aswell. The whole inheritance was worth over 2 million. I don’t know would there be many people he wouldn’t be aggrieved by how it was being all given to one but obviously does not justify their actions.

Yes, I understand where your coming from and being upset and annoyed is fine, never talking to one another again is fine, feeling entitled to something is fine,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I was more surprised that a circa 100 acre farm in Kanturk could be worth €2m.

It must have some amount of frontage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The most recent details that came out in the weekend papers made it even more horrific. Aside from luring the mother & son back to the house it was reported that after 7 shots were fired to kill the son she fled the house barefoot but the father chased her and confronted her in the farmyard and taunted her about the land. Then he took her mobile phone off her and smashed it before letting her go. It very much seems that they wanted her to live so she would be ravished by pain and grief. It also came out that the argument over the land had been going on for 8 months and that legal letters were exchanged between both sides. It sounds like it was a powder keg just building up and up until it was ready to explode.

But as others have said perhaps the most bizarre aspect is the suicide pact between father and son. This is very rare that two people would have a murder-suicide pact, I cant even begin to imagine the conversations between them in the lead up to it.

Advertisement